GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This gives hope that eventually the perp will be identified, wondering if they are from another country, making identification more difficult and time consuming? speculation.
2022 rbbm
''During the news conference, Atlanta Deputy Police Chief Charles Hampton was asked about the status of Katie Janness’ case.

“We are relying on the science and the technology,” Hampton said. “Investigations take time. We’ve been fortunate to get some of these high-profile cases solved in days and weeks. And then there are other cases that our team continues to work diligently to bring the people responsible to justice.”

Hampton said APD is continuing to meet with the FBI weekly about the case and that it is still an active investigation.''
Just a friendly reminder. This article and podcast is two years old, so we don’t really know what’s happening now with the APD, the investigation or the FBI’s continued involvement.

My understanding is that she arrived at Emma’s workplace around 11:30 pm. Don’t know when she left. She apparently talked to a couple other people at Henry’s after talking to Emma. If so, her being at the rainbow cross walk about 12:09 am makes more sense. Or, after leaving Henry’s she may have stopped where she worked to chat with co workers, etc and that would put her at the rainbow cross walk at about 12:09 am. Given that timeframe, I don’t know why she would have gone into PP at the 10th Str entrance since she could have turned south there and gotten home by about 12:30 am or so. IMO I very much doubt she entered PP at the 12th Str entrance and walked through to 10th Str and was attacked as she and Bowie were exiting the park. But….it’s all very hard to piece together without more info released by APD.
I think I read she left the restaurant around 11:30. I could be wrong though. The rainbow crosswalk is at 10th and piedmont, no? Why would she go to or thru 12th Street? We already saw her at 10th. Yes I'm not really sure where she lives, I heard she lived close, but I wasn't sure what direction. So you said she could have turned south and gotten home quicker, instead of walking up to the Charles Allen gate. Yeah so that makes me think it was a pre-planned meeting. Because I read before I think, that she had been walking around for a long time that night. Why wouldn't she just go the other way, south, and go home at that point? And I mean wouldn't she also inform her girlfriend, that she was going to be late getting home? Because if it's a 15, 20-minute walk from the rainbow crossing to the gate, its going to take another 20 minutes getting back to crossing, plus walking back to the home. And she knew her girlfriend was going to be back at 12:30. So she would be like a 20 minutes late getting home. But it doesn't sound like she told her girlfriend about that. Which was obviously why her girlfriend was worried when she got home, and her girlfriend was not there.

So yeah that makes me think it was a pre-planned meeting. Because there doesn't seem to be much reason for her to walk all that way over there, otherwise.

<modsnip: Removed speculation not based on any known fact>

Last edited by a moderator:
I also read some people speculating here, that it was a homeless person or mentally ill person. But I kind of doubt it. Because the meticulous nature of the mutilation sounds pretty well controlled. I doubt a mentally ill person would put that much time and effort into that. Plus this mentally ill person, was also able to skillfully avoid all cameras and detection? No, I don't think these are the actions of a mentally ill person. I think these are the actions of a person who wanted infamy.

My other thought is, the attacker planned the murderer to happen, in the location where the dog was attacked. Which I believe is closer to the bathroom. So I think he was going to do it behind the bathroom there for some cover. But because Katie ran a good distance, he had to do it more out in the open. So I think that was not in his plan. So I think police need to look at other unsolved cases, in Middle Georgia, where there was mutilation, and where the victim ran, or it appeared later on that they ran, and the perp *ran after them*. A case where the perp can run. And I don't think too many adults really run. So that is a little unusual.<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
So to add on to this case with Katie. We have a few known facts. She went out of her way, maybe about 40 minutes or so out of her way to get home, late at night, into a closed Park. Based on the direction of her home to the park. There are apparently no emails or texts stating why she is doing this. No conversations stating beforehand why she would be doing this. She did not inform her girlfriend before she would be late getting home, and her girlfriend apparently did not know that night she was going to be late getting home. That's why it's kind of a mystery why she went in this direction, at this time.

Now that leads us to a couple conclusions. One, it could just be a random coincidence. Maybe she just felt like wandering around for another hour late at night, even though she had already been walking around for hours. Two, due to the lack of any information beforehand, of why she would go on this path at this time, the other speculation is, that she was trying to hide the information of this particular journey to the people around her.

So why does one try to hide where one is going? Well as humans, we usually have a few main reasons to do that. I guess you can use your own imagination as to what those would be. But given the area and what goes on in that area, and the time of night, I think one conclusion springs to mind more than others.

So we're just going on common sense here, that one possible reason that we do not know why she walked in this direction at this time, was because she didn't want other people to about know the reason she was doing it.

I think we can admit that's a good possibility. And then that opens our mind up, to what type of suspect we should be looking for.

Last edited:
So to add on to this case with Katie. We have a few known facts. She went out of her way, maybe about 40 minutes or so out of her way to get home, late at night, into a closed Park. Based on the direction of her home to the park. There are apparently no emails or texts stating why she is doing this. No conversations stating beforehand why she would be doing this. She did not inform her girlfriend before she would be late getting home, and her girlfriend apparently did not know that night she was going to be late getting home. That's why it's kind of a mystery why she went in this direction, at this time.

Now that leads us to a couple conclusions. One, it could just be a random coincidence. Maybe she just felt like wandering around for another hour late at night, even though she had already been walking around for hours. Two, due to the lack of any information beforehand, of why she would go on this path at this time, the other speculation is, that she was trying to hide the information of this particular journey to the people around her.

So why does one try to hide where one is going? Well as humans, we usually have a few main reasons to do that. I guess you can use your own imagination as to what those would be. But given the area and what goes on in that area, and the time of night, I think one conclusion springs to mind more than others.

So we're just going on common sense here, that one possible reason that we do not know why she walked in this direction at this time, was because she didn't want other people to about know the reason she was doing it.

I think we can admit that's a good possibility. And then that opens our mind up, to what type of suspect we should be looking for.
IMOO following this horrific case since day one. Did obsessive research & made many posts in threads 2 & 3. After all the atlantapd.org press releases, potential witnesses video/picture releases, 911 call audio release, MSM reports from 11alivenews.com, wsbtvnews.com, fox5news.com & channel46news.com & the release of KJ's autopsy report by the Fulton County Medical Examiner. IMO KJ & B never made it to PP alive. 12:09am KJ & B are pictured alive 5-9 walking minutes from Henri's Tavern where EC reported she was still working approximately another 20 minutes (IMO this could easily be verified by LE). IMO there could be a possibility that KJ walk home with EC when she got off work. Regardless, there just doesn't appear to be enough time for KJ & B to walk to the place they were found deceased, each of them be brutally killed in a manner the Mayor of Atlanta Bottoms stated, "took a while" and then found deceased a very short time before the 1:10am 911 call. Just not enough time and no one saw or heard anything that could assist LE to locate a suspect and bring justice to KJ & B, their friends & family.
JMHHO

IMOO following this horrific case since day one. Did obsessive research & made many posts in threads 2 & 3. After all the atlantapd.org press releases, potential witnesses video/picture releases, 911 call audio release, MSM reports from 11alivenews.com, wsbtvnews.com, fox5news.com & channel46news.com & the release of KJ's autopsy report by the Fulton County Medical Examiner. IMO KJ & B never made it to PP alive. 12:09am KJ & B are pictured alive 5-9 walking minutes from Henri's Tavern where EC reported she was still working approximately another 20 minutes (IMO this could easily be verified by LE). IMO there could be a possibility that KJ walk home with EC when she got off work. Regardless, there just doesn't appear to be enough time for KJ & B to walk to the place they were found deceased, each of them be brutally killed in a manner the Mayor of Atlanta Bottoms stated, "took a while" and then found deceased a very short time before the 1:10am 911 call. Just not enough time and no one saw or heard anything that could assist LE to locate a suspect and bring justice to KJ & B, their friends & family.
JMHHO
Interesting thinking. As I don’t know the area and am not good with picturing the specific points in my mind, it’s especially of note to me and, I believe, barely mentioned previously. Wouldn’t Emma have told us in one of her live interviews if Katie had walked home after work with her? Or a newscaster? How do you see it playing out if Katie was not killed in the park? I had guessed that maybe Katie had gone to a bank or at least tried to and maybe was grabbed on the way. Perhaps a last-minute thought to get cash for her trip. I just want it settled so everyone has an end and the family and friends, if possible, understand why the killer did what he did to them.

As many of you know, I believe the killer is a sexual sadist. I posted a few threads back a really good article about such killers. They do not commit rape or sexual assault, the killing, the manner by which they kill and the kind of mutilation is what identifies them. Their sexual gratification comes from that. They play out these fantasies in great detail over long periods of time before they act. I learned something additional just yesterday about these killers from a crime scene investigator in Atlanta. She said that they seek greater and greater levels of risk to satisfy them. One of those is to commit their killing, mutilation, etc in places where the risk of being caught is greater. That certainly fits KJ’s killer. That suggests the killer has killed and mutilated prior to this and his MO has changed with experience but his signature would not have changed. And, he will most certainly kill again at some point. For now, if he is still living in the mid-town area, which IMO, he is, then he is able to relive KJ’s killing by going to PP in the early hours of the morning and in other ways. He likely won’t kill again until doing that no longer satisfies him. Really wish the APD would release some additional information!

JMHHO
Well I'm not that familiar with the area, and I don't know the exact time it takes to walk from the rainbow crosswalk to the gate. But looking on Google maps, it doesn't seem that far. So if she was at the crosswalk at 12:09, I think she could get to the Charles Allen gate by 12:30. And then the murder would probably take 15 minutes, maybe 20 minutes, I think half an hour is stretching it. But let's say it took 30 minutes, that's still enough time for it to occur, before the girlfriend gets there, after 1:00 a.m. Who knows maybe the girlfriend disturbed him, and he ran off when he saw her coming. So I'm not really sure what you are saying is accurate. Maybe I will look on Google maps after, and look at the exact distance between the crosswalk and the gate, to figure out the walking time.

As many of you know, I believe the killer is a sexual sadist. I posted a few threads back a really good article about such killers. They do not commit rape or sexual assault, the killing, the manner by which they kill and the kind of mutilation is what identifies them. Their sexual gratification comes from that. They play out these fantasies in great detail over long periods of time before they act. I learned something additional just yesterday about these killers from a crime scene investigator in Atlanta. She said that they seek greater and greater levels of risk to satisfy them. One of those is to commit their killing, mutilation, etc in places where the risk of being caught is greater. That certainly fits KJ’s killer. That suggests the killer has killed and mutilated prior to this and his MO has changed with experience but his signature would not have changed. And, he will most certainly kill again at some point. For now, if he is still living in the mid-town area, which IMO, he is, then he is able to relive KJ’s killing by going to PP in the early hours of the morning and in other ways. He likely won’t kill again until doing that no longer satisfies him. Really wish the APD would release some additional information!
Yes I think you are exactly right, and I think you are right about doing it out in the open was a greater thrill for him. I don't think he was some mentally ill homeless person. And he definitely will kill again, and probably has killed before.

Okay so I looked on Google maps for the distance from Piedmont and 10th to the Charles Allen gate. It's hard to get a precise distance because when you enlarge it kind of gives you a vague ruler. But it looks to be around 2,000 ft. A mile is over 5,000 ft. So it's about half a mile. Humans walk 3 miles an hour, or in other words 1 mi in 20 minutes. Or, a half mile in 10 minutes. So yes Katie definitely had enough time to go from the crosswalk to the Charles Allen gate by 1230. In fact she had more than enough time, because she probably would have gotten there around 12:20. But let's say she walked a little slower for her dog, then 12:30 is perfect time.

So I saw one of the recent videos on this case, put out by Nancy Grace. And one of her long time guests theorized this was the action of a mentally ill person, because it was so outrageous. However I think there are a few elements that don't support that. One, is the meticulous nature of the mutilation, that I wrote about above. Two, the fact that the perp ran after the victim. I think most mentally ill people are not organized enough, and fit enough, to run after a victim. I don't think their short attention span would lead to that. Their violence would come in short bursts.

And three, look at the ability of the perp to dodge all the cameras. Judging by the testimony of the girlfriend of the position of the dog, Katie was attacked very close to the entrance of the Charles Allen gate. The sec camera, that we all saw footage of, goes very close to that spot. What are the odds that the crime happened... just ...out of range of the camera? Like within feet probably. And that this perp never wandered through the gate, that was right there, back and forth a few times, maybe looking around, like a disorganized mentally ill person would? Which of course would put him on camera. But somehow this disorganized mentally ill person, managed to avoid the camera that was right there? I don't think so.

So another thing we should do is, look for other murders in the area, where the perp skillfully avoided any security cameras. For example, when they were not functioning for some reason, when they should have been. A criminal who is aware on how to avoid cameras or to manipulate cameras. That is another element we should look for.

So I saw one of the recent videos on this case, put out by Nancy Grace. And one of her long time guests theorized this was the action of a mentally ill person, because it was so outrageous. However I think there are a few elements that don't support that. One, is the meticulous nature of the mutilation, that I wrote about above. Two, the fact that the perp ran after the victim. I think most mentally ill people are not organized enough, and fit enough, to run after a victim. I don't think their short attention span would lead to that. Their violence would come in short bursts.

And three, look at the ability of the perp to dodge all the cameras. Judging by the testimony of the girlfriend of the position of the dog, Katie was attacked very close to the entrance of the Charles Allen gate. The sec camera, that we all saw footage of, goes very close to that spot. What are the odds that the crime happened... just ...out of range of the camera? Like within feet probably. And that this perp never wandered through the gate, that was right there, back and forth a few times, maybe looking around, like a disorganized mentally ill person would? Which of course would put him on camera. But somehow this disorganized mentally ill person, managed to avoid the camera that was right there? I don't think so.

So another thing we should do is, look for other murders in the area, where the perp skillfully avoided any security cameras. For example, when they were not functioning for some reason, when they should have been. A criminal who is aware on how to avoid cameras or to manipulate cameras. That is another element we should look for.
IYO, why do you feel the killer chased Katie?

IYO, why do you feel the killer chased Katie?
Well he didn't want her to get away. I think she knew who he was, so he didn't want her to be able to identify him. Or even if she didn't know who he was, he still didn't want any identifying characteristics of himself known. He didn't want to get caught. Also I think he planned to kill somebody that night. And he didn't want his goal unaccomplished. I agree with the other poster above, that said he was a sexual sadist, and he wanted more thrills. He wanted the infamy of doing this out in a public park.

I wonder also if they have eliminated Brian Kohberger from this. I guess by now they would know whether he was in Atlanta at that time or not. He's always a distant possibility for this. Although he's not my first choice.

Noting, 14 year old trans girl dismembered.

Okay so I looked on Google maps for the distance from Piedmont and 10th to the Charles Allen gate. It's hard to get a precise distance because when you enlarge it kind of gives you a vague ruler. But it looks to be around 2,000 ft. A mile is over 5,000 ft. So it's about half a mile. Humans walk 3 miles an hour, or in other words 1 mi in 20 minutes. Or, a half mile in 10 minutes. So yes Katie definitely had enough time to go from the crosswalk to the Charles Allen gate by 1230. In fact she had more than enough time, because she probably would have gotten there around 12:20. But let's say she walked a little slower for her dog, then 12:30 is perfect time.
Yes, I agree. I have walked that myself & it takes about 8 minutes (without a dog). It is mostly downhill. There are residences on the right side of 10th, lots of cars parked on the street in front of them, lots of trees that make it a little on the dark side. Plus, the walk back is uphill. Also the jogger ran down 10th St that same way, ran in to the CA gate at 12:46am, then right back out continuing on down 10th 22 seconds later. So IMO there is a window of time from 12:25-12:45. After reading the autopsy that was very traumatic was that enough time?
MOO

That is about what I came up with. Allowing for the dog stopping to sniff stuff, etc, I put them reaching the CA gate area around 12:27 or so. Maybe a few minutes later if they entered from the 12th st entrance. The jogger enters the gate about 12:46 I believe. So that gives a 15 minute window for the attack, which I think is ample time. I am thinking that it maybe didn't take as long as some people think and I do suspect that the killer might have been interrupted before he was finished. Whether that was by the jogger or Emma arriving, or someone else, I don't know. I would love to know what the jogger told the police.

Interesting thinking. As I don’t know the area and am not good with picturing the specific points in my mind, it’s especially of note to me and, I believe, barely mentioned previously. Wouldn’t Emma have told us in one of her live interviews if Katie had walked home after work with her? Or a newscaster? How do you see it playing out if Katie was not killed in the park? I had guessed that maybe Katie had gone to a bank or at least tried to and maybe was grabbed on the way. Perhaps a last-minute thought to get cash for her trip. I just want it settled so everyone has an end and the family and friends, if possible, understand why the killer did what he did to them.
It was mentioned earlier in the thread that KJ was meeting someone possibly. IMO it's also possible she decided to go back to Henri's & walk home with EC. Just a spur of the moment action. That side of 10th St between Piedmont Ave (rainbow crosswalk) & Henri's at night is dark with closed businesses & a large parking lot IMO. I have witnessed alot of people in this section of 10th St sleeping & wandering in the shadows.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back