SANDRA BIRCHMORE, Stoughton, MA

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There was an autopsy as I understand it but media has not been able to get ahold of it. Ongoing investigation is probably the reason it's not been released. Let's hope.

Everyone who knew Sandra well said she wanted the baby and no one believes she killed herself. Her last text communications were with a co-worker about work hours for the following morning as there was a big snowstorm going on and she worked at a school. Just a few hours before Farwell shows up, she can be seen on CCTV coming in and out of her apartment building to clear snow off her car. Not the actions of someone on the verge of ending her life.

Could Farwell have pushed her over the edge with verbal attacks that upset her to the point of suicide? I suppose it is possible, but I find it hard to believe that she would have known how to successfully asphyxiate herself from a seated position without some planning and research. And as she abruptly stopped texting around the time Farwell left it's almost a certainty that she died that night.
Agreed.

*SKETCHYYYYYY* And with his buddies being the ones who would investigate, they could have easily staged something and covered it up. I dont know if that's what happened. But coincidentally she was pregnant with his baby and I am guessing he did not want his wife to find out. SO sad.
And he had reported going to her home to break up with her. Cases like these with young children being groomed make me so angry.

Was Sandra's unborn baby confirmed to be the officer's? Is it even possible to do paternity testing on a fetus?

Fetal remains can definitely be tested for DNA/paternity. I hope that perhaps fetal samples were saved or a DNA profile of the fetus was obtained at the time of her autopsy. Because her death was ruled a suicide, there may not be enough legal cause (YET) to compel any suspected father to give a DNA sample of his own for comparison.

Fetal remains can definitely be tested for DNA/paternity. I hope that perhaps fetal samples were saved or a DNA profile of the fetus was obtained at the time of her autopsy. Because her death was ruled a suicide, there may not be enough legal cause (YET) to compel any suspected father to give a DNA sample of his own for comparison.
And if they DID NOT take samples, it's a coverup IMHO.

Anyone able to post some of the article? I am not a subscriber.

Death of Sandra Birchmore was a homicide, prominent pathologist says

I am going to try my "around Paywalls"...but the Boston globe is tougher with these.

I can't post excerpts if it's behind a paywall, but the most salient facts are:
  • A medical examiner hired by the Birchmore family has reported that Sandra was strangled to death, even though the state claims it was a suicide.
  • The examiner that was hired has 50 years of experience and has been involved in a lot of high-profile cases.
Here's a statement by the Stoughton Police chief:

As chief of the Stoughton Police Department, I have directly participated in this lengthy and aggressive internal affairs investigation. In September of 2022, I released an executive summary which revealed for the first time, the horrific injustices including grooming and sexual abuse inflicted upon Sandra Birchmore at the hands of one rogue and corrupt former police officer and additional inappropriate sexual relationships by other former police officers. It has been my stated mission, guided by both my understanding of the policies and procedures of the Stoughton Police Department and my own moral compass, that this process must be as transparent as possible and that we follow every lead and shine light on all aspects of this horrific chapter in our history, no matter what.

I need to be clear that our police department has no jurisdiction over the investigation of Sandra’s death, which occurred in a different community. However, I will reiterate that the Stoughton Police Department has assisted and continues to cooperate with other law enforcement agencies. Sandra received not so much as a sliver of justice during her life, and we will not cease in our efforts to ensure our duty to administer justice, and she is not forgotten in the aftermath of her death.

As part of our ongoing work with other agencies, I have uncovered relevant investigatory information over the course of both the Stoughton Police Department’s internal affairs investigation and in our mandatory preparation for the pending lawsuit filed by Sandra’s family. We have and continue to turn over all information to the appropriate agency or agencies.

However, as a police administrator and investigator with decades of experience, I would be remiss if I did not remark that I have reviewed the findings of the outside doctor retained by Sandra’s family. I was profoundly disturbed and troubled by what I read. While I am not a trained medical examiner, and I am not qualified to draw any direct conclusions, the findings certainly warrant further examination at the highest level. As always, we will continue to assist with any effort to ensure that truth and justice prevail.

Every good and decent police officer should be aware of and angry about the injustices inflicted upon Sandra Birchmore. Sandra idolized police officers and what policing stood for in America, and she was victimized as a result.

The only mantra of good cops must be: Never again, and never, ever on my watch.

Here is a link to an archived version of this article.
Justice for Sandra!!

<modsnip>

While the state medical examiner found that Birchmore was pregnant when she died, the office “apparently did not send fetal tissue for DNA analysis to determine who the father was.”
State Police records show that investigators asked Farwell in 2021 to provide a DNA sample, but he declined. Swabs from Birchmore’s body, hair and fingernail clippings, and clothing she was wearing were taken for a sexual assault kit. But Baden wrote in his report that it “appears” the evidence was not tested. He said he believes the kit and fetal tissue could still be examined. Spokespeople for the Massachusetts State Police and state Office of the Chief Medical Examiner... didn’t respond Friday to questions about Baden’s claims about the fetal tissue and sexual assault kit. They also declined to comment on Baden’s letter, citing ongoing investigations by several agencies.

In Baden’s letter, he said Birchmore fractured her right hyoid bone, a small, U-shaped bone in her neck. Such an injury “occurs rarely, if at all, in suicidal hanging and does occur in half of homicidal strangulations of women,” wrote Baden, citing a textbook by forensic pathologists Dr. Vincent DiMaio and Dr. Dominick J. DiMaio.The fracture, along with Birchmore’s other injuries, “are commonly found in homicidal strangulation — manual and ligature — but not in suicidal hanging,” Baden wrote. Also, autopsy photos showed a ligature was entangled in Birchmore’s hair, which “occurs when there is resistance during homicidal strangulation,” Baden wrote.

So is the entire Norfolk DA's office under investigation, or just Morrissey?
This is awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip>

While the state medical examiner found that Birchmore was pregnant when she died, the office “apparently did not send fetal tissue for DNA analysis to determine who the father was.”
State Police records show that investigators asked Farwell in 2021 to provide a DNA sample, but he declined. Swabs from Birchmore’s body, hair and fingernail clippings, and clothing she was wearing were taken for a sexual assault kit. But Baden wrote in his report that it “appears” the evidence was not tested. He said he believes the kit and fetal tissue could still be examined. Spokespeople for the Massachusetts State Police and state Office of the Chief Medical Examiner... didn’t respond Friday to questions about Baden’s claims about the fetal tissue and sexual assault kit. They also declined to comment on Baden’s letter, citing ongoing investigations by several agencies.

In Baden’s letter, he said Birchmore fractured her right hyoid bone, a small, U-shaped bone in her neck. Such an injury “occurs rarely, if at all, in suicidal hanging and does occur in half of homicidal strangulations of women,” wrote Baden, citing a textbook by forensic pathologists Dr. Vincent DiMaio and Dr. Dominick J. DiMaio.The fracture, along with Birchmore’s other injuries, “are commonly found in homicidal strangulation — manual and ligature — but not in suicidal hanging,” Baden wrote. Also, autopsy photos showed a ligature was entangled in Birchmore’s hair, which “occurs when there is resistance during homicidal strangulation,” Baden wrote.

This is awful.

I just had a big smile.
I have been learning more and more about that HYOID bone.
On another case, posters showed those anatomical drawings.
Hard to see, hard to find...
But that HYOID bone is very very important.

<modsnip>

This is awful.

Sandra actually lived in Canton and her death was investigated by the Canton PD, including some of the officers involved in the Karen Read case. They definitely have some questions to answer.

As does the medical examiner's office if they missed some obvious signs of homicide.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
I would agree that SB did not commit suicide. What a tragic case. moo

Here are their (bbm) names:

Nineteen months after her death, however, an internal affairs report released by the Stoughton Police Department ignited a flood of interest in the Birchmore case as the public learned of the disturbing allegations made against three SPD officers — brothers Matthew and William Farwell, and Robert Devine, who have all since resigned.

Last month, Berry posted a memorial tribute to Birchmore on Facebook on the three-year anniversary of her death. “Three years ago today Sandra’s body was found in her Canton apartment,” she wrote. “She was found in a seated position with a ligature tied around her neck. It was fastened to her closet door handle. Her death was ruled suicide. Her death is what brought forth the abuse Sandra endured. Disgraced former Stoughton Police Officer Matthew Farwell was the last person to see Sandra alive. She was pregnant with his baby. Many believe Sandra didn’t kill herself. She was looking forward to being a mother. Sandra Birchmore deserves a full investigation into her death.”

Here is an informative link:
https://thenetline.com › sandra-birchmore-story

Pathologist says cause of death is strangulation​

On Monday, a pathologist hired by Birchmore's family in a civil suit against Stoughton police, the city, and the three officers, issued a report saying Birchmore's cause of death is strangulation and the manner of her death is homicide, according to the Boston Globe.

June 24, 2024 / 6:21 PM EDT / CBS Boston

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back