Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely agree, there would have been no need to murder her as she would have been witness to the accidental death and able to corroborate his story!
I agree. Jury members may well have thought the same thing, but there wasn't, IMO sufficient evidence to find a "guilty" verdict in the case of Russell Hill's death.

GL may well appeal the "guilty" verdict in the case of Carol Clay's death. There would need to be ground ds to appeal, and even then
It's going to be curious to see who lodges an appeal first after the dust settles. The DDP cannot be pleased with the outcome. IMO.
I tend to think they'd be quite pleased.

Ideally, since GL was charged with two homicides, two :guilty verdicts would be their goal.

Realistically however, IMO it was always going to be a challenge to achieve two "guilty" verdicts beyond a reasonable doubt, given the accused's diligence and proficiency in utterly destroying almost every piece of evidence possible.

Had the verdict been two "guilty", that could result IMO in an increased likelihood of a successful appeal, on the grounds of the original verdict not being "reasonable" given the scarcity of evidence.

JMO

@stacey_victoria thinking of your family today - the bounds of the legal system might have prevented justice from being served for Russell today, but despite all the mud slinging and story telling from one side, Russell’s dignity and character have shone through for plenty of us and that’s how he’ll be remembered by a vast majority of Australians - a capable, practical and dignified man who though maybe conflicted, did his best for those who loved him - to love and care for his family and two women with great effort to avoid inflicting harm on either.
Sending lots of strength, love and deep breaths for you all - you’ve been through a terrible thing and deserve a lifetime of peace ahead.
Thank you so much. Such kind words, that are so appreciated. It's been a very difficult journey and it's not over yet but I (and my family who I relay many messages to) really appreciate everyone here who has been supportive, thoughtful and kind.
Now we can just hope that GL goes on a very long holiday but that this time, it's HIS last!

Outside court, Mr Hill and Mrs Clay’s families said they were “both relieved and devastated” at the verdicts and thanked the jury.

They issued a joint statement that said:
“It was an extremely difficult task given that the accused destroyed so much evidence,”
“The verdict of not guilty in relation to the murder Russell Hill is devastating.
“There was not enough evidence to be sure of how he died.”

So we had 12 out of 12 jurors decide that Lynn did not kill RC beyond reasonable doubt and those same 12 of 12 jurors decide that Lynn did murder CC. Lynn did not admit killing CC and was any evidence presented by the prosecution that Lynn killed CC?

Im curious how it can so obviously be double murder to you when circumstantial evidence is by nature not proof of anything.

With respect, you have no idea of what you're talking about. Most criminal convictions are based solely on circumstantial evidence.

Generally, no particular fact or circumstance relied upon in a circumstantial case needs to be proved beyond reasonable doubt.

Circumstantial evidence is evidence that indirectly proves a fact or supports a theory. Such evidence implies that the defendant was involved in the crime, and is typically sufficient to convict a defendant if the evidence and inferences drawn from the evidence can be used to establish that the defendant is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Juries can draw an inference of guilt from a combination of facts, none of which viewed alone would be enough to convict.

This type of evidence doesn’t need to prove that GL is absolutely guilty or guilty beyond question, but rather that there are no other logical explanations from the facts that anyone other than he could have committed the crime.

Thank you so much. Such kind words, that are so appreciated. It's been a very difficult journey and it's not over yet but I (and my family who I relay many messages to) really appreciate everyone here who has been supportive, thoughtful and kind.
Now we can just hope that GL goes on a very long holiday but that this time, it's HIS last!
Thinking of you as well Stacey. I stand with you on GL going away for a long time. May the door slam on his rear as he enters what I fervently hope is a sentence till the end of his time.

Horrifying to hear about Lynn’s first wife. I am deeply concerned about how such a person was employed as a pilot for Jetstar given what has now emerged Re past history…. I thought pilots had to undergo rigorous mental health screening?
He would have had a psych test during the interview process should he be a candidate.…which would indicate if he was compliant with regulations, communication with crew members, problem solving, decision making etc. etc. I have seen a number of Pilot’s not disclose mental illness/anxiety due to medications conflicting with a medical (German Wings pilot was a perfect example). So if you consider yourself let’s say bi-polar your going to hide it…take no meds and the rest is history !!

Verdicts today are very bitter-sweet. Feel really sad for RH and CC's families and loved ones, but so relieved for at least one guilty verdict.
Thanks to GL destroying so much evidence, it's really impossible to know exactly how poor RH died. I personally believe he too, was killed by the gun. Or if there was a knife, that GL was the one to pierce it into RH's heart.

GL will hopefully serve a very very long sentence and will have the chance to join up to clubs of very different sorts in prison.

My heart goes out to RH, CC and their loved ones.

JMO.

Your one strong cookie stacey-victoria..we admire you.

Hopefully he gets some additional charges for interfering with corpses?

Interfere with Corpse of a Human Being is found in section 34B of the Crimes Act 1958 in Victoria. It is a criminal offence that is committed by a person who was found to have intentionally engaged in a sexual activity involving a corpse of a human being.

Interfere with Corpse of a Human being

I’ve been unable to find anything relating to hiding a body away from the crime scene. However, South Australia has made a big change. IMO all states should introduce this as it’s becoming more and more common.

With respect, you have no idea of what you're talking about. Most criminal convictions are based solely on circumstantial evidence.

Generally, no particular fact or circumstance relied upon in a circumstantial case needs to be proved beyond reasonable doubt.

Circumstantial evidence is evidence that indirectly proves a fact or supports a theory. Such evidence implies that the defendant was involved in the crime, and is typically sufficient to convict a defendant if the evidence and inferences drawn from the evidence can be used to establish that the defendant is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Juries can draw an inference of guilt from a combination of facts, none of which viewed alone would be enough to convict.

This type of evidence doesn’t need to prove that GL is absolutely guilty or guilty beyond question, but rather that there are no other logical explanations from the facts that anyone other than he could have committed the crime.
Wow I don't know where to start in telling you how wrong you are!...
Pretty rude for starters telling someone they have no idea what they are talking about. Then embarrassing yourself with a false argument.

Today's result is embarrassing TBH. Trial by assumptions. No one should be charged with murder on assumptions. Know don't come back with a reasonable doubt quote that you all use to cover yourself. If I was trialed by reasonable doubt when I was at school I would have been wrong convicted several times.
Yes he probably killed at least one. Can't even be sure who though!
Yeah it makes it hard when only getting one side of a story, but that's just bad luck. Convicted someone on 12 peoples views of reasonable doubt etc is just insane. No one knows what happened so it should be no murder. It would have been interesting if they actually had a choice other than murder. I feel they were pressured into the one murder charge by him destroying most of the vital evidence. Again not a reason to assume anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper