Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I clearly need to learn more, as I thought a plea had to be entered. What exactly is discussed at this next court date? Is a trial date set?
Try this page.
Different lawyers' websites say slightly different things. They seem to agree that the process--the range of things that can happen at a committal mention--is complicated and confusing. Essentially it's about planning for the committal hearing.

There is a Ballarat Courier article here called What comes next in the case against Patrick Stephenson?
It was published on 14th June.

The gist of the article states (and includes explanations of court hierarchy, and that he is accused of killing Sam etc, which I have not included) .....

- First appeared in Ballarat Magistrates Court on March 7 - after his arrest on murder charges - for a remand hearing
- This kind of hearing takes place soon after an arrest - if the police oppose granting bail
- This hearing is called a 'straight remand' because he did not apply for bail
- Because he didn't apply for bail, there was no need for the remand summary (the police version of events) to be read out in court
- The hearing was also a filing hearing - setting out a timetable for the exchange of information between prosecution and defence (although it doesn't state when this exchange is/was supposed to happen)
- August 8 was set for a committal mention
- It is the beginning of the committal process, where PS will plead guilty or not guilty
- If he pleads not guilty, a committal hearing date will be set - where the court will hear more about the police case against him
- The magistrate will decide if there is enough evidence to commit him to trial
- If so, he will be committed to trial in the Supreme Court - likely in a year or more
- If he pleads guilty, there will be a plea hearing in the Supreme Court - his lawyer will present evidence to try to mitigate his sentence

Try this page.
Different lawyers' websites say slightly different things. They seem to agree that the process--the range of things that can happen at a committal mention--is complicated and confusing. Essentially it's about planning for the committal hearing.
Thanks for the explanation. I guess we wait and see.

I clearly need to learn more, as I thought a plea had to be entered. What exactly is discussed at this next court date? Is a trial date set?
Absolutely way off a trial. Brief of Evidence has to be received before a plea. They probably have a preliminary brief so far. But require a full brief of evidence before the court date of 8th Aug when PS may make a plea. I was reading the Victoria system of trials today. Will try to find it again for you.

The police and prosecution don't have to provide a motive ... although it can help with a conviction.

They only have to prove - beyond a reasonable doubt - that the accused killed the victim.

It is possible that they may never even know the motive. And still know that the accused killed the victim.
Just as in little Charlise Mutten’s murder, the motive was never found. Stein was charged with her murder, but we may never know why he did it.

Honestly, everyone should be truly horrified by the frequency of women being attacked and murdered in this country.
I grew up in regional Victoria, not far from where Samantha was allegedly murdered, and I now live in Inner West Sydney near where this woman has been killed. For context, Inner West Sydney is considered comparatively to be a bit of a progressive ‘bubble’ of politically left people….goes to show how pervasive this violence towards women in particular is across all demographics

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice
Back