VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I myself wonder if any locals on the jury are worried about repercussions from LE if they DO find her NG. Its a 'small town' with a major amount of support and outlying attachments for the families where this occurred. Backlash could be ongoing and far reaching.
what a sad sad sad thought. It would mean the justice system in Canton MA and maybe beyond is utterly corrupted and useless if jurors feel compromised to discharge their duties unethically moo

I think there is more than one that does not agree with the majority. "Deeply divided" sounds to me that this case will eventually be a hung jury. The judge will not send them back to deliberation again if they still say they cannot come to an agreement. A hung jury is not good for either side, but the defense can spin it (lie) in favor of their client. The prosecution is a lot more limited. Not much of a spinning option for them. I feel sorry for the mother of John O'Keefe. Not only is she having to deal the stress of a hung jury, but per CourtTV, there have been some Karen supporters that have harassed her. Pretty low to harass a mother of a murdered son. Just think what they would do to the jurors that were the holdout (if someone told them) and not agreeing with them that Karen is innocent.

A mistrial is better than a guilty verdict. No spinning necessary. If a mistrial is declared then the cw did not prove their case.

I just had a feeling this is how it would go....she will issue the Rogriguez...they will again go back...probably at this point very very unhappy and eat the lunch again and come back for final deadlock this afternoon. I think foreman may get to his day job still today. No one changed any minds over the weekend. Judge knows what will happy and is very very unhappy too. Absent some inspirational words from judge this is a done deal. And honestly what can she say?
Can’t she reiterate (stress) what BARD legally means?

I am surprised that it is taking this long. There must be a hold out, to convict or not. I wonder when it will be declared a mistrial. If the jury cannot come to a consensus.

Were I on the jury at this point I would check NG. Not because I think she is NG, but because I think it isn't worth the chaos this has caused and I don't believe she will ever do anything like this again. Any punishment she would receive would only cause more turmoil in the community and serve no rehabilitative purpose.
That’s interesting, @Curiousobserver. So you would vote NG because you think it would cause turmoil in the community, not because the CW did not prove their case?

Seriously, I feel like if FBI biomechanical experts came right out and said he wasn't hit by a car (they did), people would think they're lying because they're experts NOT hired by the defense.

I feel like even if the CW presented evidence showing that KR was blackout drunk
Yes, as we know, cops are allowed to lie to suspects. I don't really care for that, though. I was watching something the other day about how they have stopped allowing cops to lie to suspects in the UK. I think that needs to happen here.

I would think Yannetti would talk to his client before making a statement for them. But, perhaps my expectations are too high.

IMO the only compelling evidence presented by the CW was that KR was blackout drunk that night, and still intoxicated the following morning. Several CW witnesses testified that she was struggling to recollect key events the next morning.

In hindsight, if Yanetti and KR had known that LE would soon be under federal investigation, they would not have taken any information from the CW at face value - especially since the fbi would later release results from an independent investigation with overwhelming evidence that KR could not have been responsible,

If there is a lesson here it simply has to be that more care needs to be taken during jury selection.
Idk about that, I think this is just something that can happen. Both sides vetted jurors before selecting the jury. And I believe both sides put in great effort doing so - just as in any case - because their case depends on it..

what a sad sad sad thought. It would mean the justice system in Canton MA and maybe beyond is utterly corrupted and useless if jurors feel compromised to discharge their duties unethically moo

Insert fav photo of Brian Albert, Jen McCabe and Colin Albert during closing arguments completely GLARING at the jury here

That’s interesting, @Curiousobserver. So you would vote NG because you think it would cause turmoil in the community, not because the CW did not prove their case?
irrelvant to evidence presented and I would suppose other jurors would point that out to a juror who decided their position on that basis jmo

A mistrial is better than a guilty verdict. No spinning necessary. If a mistrial is declared then the cw did not prove their case.
Exactly this.
And because of this, it would be carelessness by the prosecution to try this case again.

The judge was able to hide the fact that the fbi was the 3rd interested party, but a next go around the fbi would be involved.

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if someone who was in that house to be held accountable in a next trial.

Were I on the jury at this point I would check NG. Not because I think she is NG, but because I think it isn't worth the chaos this has caused and I don't believe she will ever do anything like this again. Any punishment she would receive would only cause more turmoil in the community and serve no rehabilitative purpose.
agree not like she is a danger to the community but some on that jury probably feel after looking right at the O Keefe family for 2 months they owe them something?

I myself wonder if any locals on the jury are worried about repercussions from LE if they DO find her NG. Its a 'small town' with a major amount of support and outlying attachments for the families where this occurred. Backlash could be ongoing and far reaching.

I have the same thoughts.

I note with particular interest that the Albert clan didn't bother attending the rest of the trial, yet they suddenly turned up on the day that the jury were to begin their deliberations.

Each of them filed in to court and sat themselves down directly facing the jury.
To me it looked like a warning: "Find her guilty, or you could be next..."

Last edited:
If by a slim chance, a verdict comes down on this case, I feel that the ones not agreeing with the others caved and agree with them just to get out of there for their July 4th activities. And, it seems to me, the court system rather forces the jurors to come to a decision. Whether they actually believe it or not. Not exactly a free will environment. If I was one of the jurors and did not agree with the majority, this makes me even more stubborn and not willing to change just so there is a verdict. Either way it goes, guilty or not guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice