MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The abuse of Karen was perpetuated by holding off on this announcement until after a verdict. You can bet they held off so not to taint Proctors testimony or to negatively impact their hoped for guilty verdict.
IF there is another trial, the D will be all over this.
I recall AJ asking Procter if he was still active and employed in his position working cases etc. And he said Yes.
So the impression was given to the jury - nothing to see here folks - all is on the up and up.
Snakes

JMO.
Yes waldojabba^^! So true….. where I grew up we often used the term ‘dirty pool’ to describe such. Seems to fit perfectly IMO. Yes…. I am not so young these days. MOO

So, they've relieved Proctor of duty. But what about his superiors and fellow officers to whom he sent all those awful texts? Not one of them rebuked him or reported his misdeeds.

I'm very curious about this office group chat. Did they only discuss Karen Read or did Proctor also make comments about other women accused of crimes? What about female victims or witnesses? And was it one-way, with Proctor spewing this stuff to the other cops, or did others also write similar texts?

I'm guessing the MSP going to try and sweep all that under the rug. Only look at the texts that relate to the Karen Read case and claim that the other troopers did nothing wrong.
It would depend what messages were submitted as evidence. MSP can't look at his personal phone without a warrant and it would be difficult to get one as it is not exigent or criminal. This is a conduct situation. I don't know what MSP's conduct policy is and what the corrective action levels are. Being fired would be at the top and in a lot of workplaces where there is a union the discipline has to be incremental. I realize that a lot of people want Proctor fired but there is a process that MSP has to follow otherwise they are subject to a wrongful dismissal lawsuit.

@KristinaRex

BREAKING: Trooper Michael Proctor has been relieved of his duties with Massachusetts State Police.
View attachment 514788
8:31 PM · Jul 1, 2024

Follow up: Proctor will be officially transferred on Sunday, July 7, per the union bargaining agreement. He will then be subject to a duty status hearing to determine what is next: retained on full pay, restricted duty, suspended with pay or without pay.

So this isn’t an immediate firing. It’s a removal from his office pending a disciplinary process.

More information — Proctor is relieved of duty, as in is technically a trooper but not working as one. The disciplinary hearing is a first step in a process that could eventually lead determination, but he is not directly terminated now, nor will he be from that hearing.

Edit: included additional X posts
To CYA, he has to have his day in court so to speak.

So, they've relieved Proctor of duty. But what about his superiors and fellow officers to whom he sent all those awful texts? Not one of them rebuked him or reported his misdeeds.

I'm very curious about this office group chat. Did they only discuss Karen Read or did Proctor also make comments about other women accused of crimes? What about female victims or witnesses? And was it one-way, with Proctor spewing this stuff to the other cops, or did others also write similar texts?

I'm guessing the MSP going to try and sweep all that under the rug. Only look at the texts that relate to the Karen Read case and claim that the other troopers did nothing wrong.
From an article in local media:

Asked whether action should be taken against Proctor's superiors, some of whom were also included in the text chain containing comments about Read, [Governor] Healey said, "This is with MSP, so we'll have to see what the process is."

In other words, no they won't. She came out unequivocally against Proctor, but won't say anything against his superiors.

IMO, they'll make Proctor the scapegoat. For the rest, they'll stall until the public loses interest. Unless new revelations come out that force them to act, they'll eventually just drop the whole matter.

Had the flu so I looked in on this trial just over the weekend for the first time and then only seeing Law and Crime and or CourtTV clips for any knowlege I have in this case. I saw both opening and closing arguments on both sides. I then became a tad familiar with the different characters, etc., so specifically sought them out if I could find them. None seemed very professional or bright. I'm so sorry for the death of JO and for his family and those young kids, so much trauma in their life.
IMO, KR is not guilty of the charges against her but do think she is an instigator, not very likeable and an easy target, apparently. The texts between her and BH were immature and disgusting and made me think that she had self serving motives for reaching out to BH, either to make JO jealous or to just line up the next one. The realtionship with JO had run it's course and she realized that she or any woman probably would play second fiddle to his niece and nephew, and DH had no kids. Also JMO, DH didn't like being manipulated by KR or being her patsy.
'The 'group' of the LE and wives involved reminded me of the popular kids in high school and everyone wanted to be part of it, family included. I don't know who were exactly the closest to 'the Alberts' aside from family or who were just acquantainces who got invited back to the after party just this time. Big drinkers, big egos, the ladies' pecking order probably depended on your husaband's stripes at a party house with people coming and going at all hours.
So it is JMO that JO was not killed by a car. He was killed in the Alberts basement, maybe not intentially and maybe not by anyone we currently know about or have met yet. But then there is the cover up, too much brass involved in the death of another cop.
I hope that JO and his family get justice. The real murderer was at that house that night. It wasn't KR. As far as another trial, not before some heads roll and not of KR. I do wonder whether there will be any more fall out in her life as result of her dirty laundry now known everywhere. Aside from her leaving town maybe.

Had the flu so I looked in on this trial just over the weekend for the first time and then only seeing Law and Crime and or CourtTV clips for any knowlege I have in this case. I saw both opening and closing arguments on both sides. I then became a tad familiar with the different characters, etc., so specifically sought them out if I could find them. None seemed very professional or bright. I'm so sorry for the death of JO and for his family and those young kids, so much trauma in their life.
IMO, KR is not guilty of the charges against her but do think she is an instigator, not very likeable and an easy target, apparently. The texts between her and BH were immature and disgusting and made me think that she had self serving motives for reaching out to BH, either to make JO jealous or to just line up the next one. The realtionship with JO had run it's course and she realized that she or any woman probably would play second fiddle to his niece and nephew, and DH had no kids. Also JMO, DH didn't like being manipulated by KR or being her patsy.
'The 'group' of the LE and wives involved reminded me of the popular kids in high school and everyone wanted to be part of it, family included. I don't know who were exactly the closest to 'the Alberts' aside from family or who were just acquantainces who got invited back to the after party just this time. Big drinkers, big egos, the ladies' pecking order probably depended on your husaband's stripes at a party house with people coming and going at all hours.
So it is JMO that JO was not killed by a car. He was killed in the Alberts basement, maybe not intentially and maybe not by anyone we currently know about or have met yet. But then there is the cover up, too much brass involved in the death of another cop.
I hope that JO and his family get justice. The real murderer was at that house that night. It wasn't KR. As far as another trial, not before some heads roll and not of KR. I do wonder whether there will be any more fall out in her life as result of her dirty laundry now known everywhere. Aside from her leaving town maybe.
Bolded by me. This part for sure! I agree on most of this. I am definitely not a KR fan. She has a lot of insecurity and anger issues per her voicemails to JO and her lashing out at some woman in Aruba. I also don't like her for flirting with BH through text, and whatever else she may have done with him in person while being with JO. JMO

However just looking at her case. There was absolutely no proof of anything the CW was trying to sell the jury. Many of the witnesses involved appeared to be lying and covering for each other. Priceless was AM saying that CA wasn't at the house when the victim was. Well how would one know if the victim supposedly didn't enter the house? My mouth also fell agape when I heard a detective (who was not a homicide detective) say how he collected blood evidence in a red solo cup taken from a neighbor's house..Wha..?? The judges antics, and the D.A. possibly lying as well. IMO this whole trial was a dog and pony show.

I hope JO's family also gets justice, the correct justice. I hope KR reevaluates life and makes better decisions and is able to move on with her life. MOO

From an article in local media:

Asked whether action should be taken against Proctor's superiors, some of whom were also included in the text chain containing comments about Read, [Governor] Healey said, "This is with MSP, so we'll have to see what the process is."

In other words, no they won't. She came out unequivocally against Proctor, but won't say anything against his superiors.

IMO, they'll make Proctor the scapegoat. For the rest, they'll stall until the public loses interest. Unless new revelations come out that force them to act, they'll eventually just drop the whole matter.

Meaningless words without action. Typical politician. I am disappointed with her.

Does anyone know if Judge Cannone will be the same judge for the retrial? I ask because I feel like a different judge might look at the evidence collection/chain of custody of such evidence as contaminated. I assume a judge can throw out evidence based on contamination through collection processes. I mean there is a reason why evidence collection is done with air tight plastic containers, and a crime scene is preserved to the beat of one's ability, yes? Not to mention using a blowers to blow evidence all over the place. Wouldn't one maybe clear off the snow with a better tool? MOO

Correct.

But it was asked if they decide not to retry, then does double jeopardy apply. And I think if they come out and say they're dropping the charges, the judge can decide with/without prejudice. WITH prejudice would mean they CANNOT refile charges. Without prejudice would mean they can refile. I don't know CW law, but this is my basic, general understanding. Legal experts feel free to chime in!

The judge would never dismiss with prejudice. That would not allow her to be tried again. Clearly see the judge does not want her July 22 date was unusual. Not a good sign for thr defense.

Love this….

Daniel Medwed, a professor of law and criminology at Northeastern University, said he had anticipated that a hung jury might be possible because of the strong feelings about Ms. Read’s guilt or innocence. “Can you imagine prosecutors trying to push this boulder of a case uphill again?” he said. “Won’t it just slide back and crush them?”

Jury Near Boston Deadlocks in Murder Case Against Karen Read

imo, I don’t believe this repeat trial will ever happen

Love this….

Daniel Medwed, a professor of law and criminology at Northeastern University, said he had anticipated that a hung jury might be possible because of the strong feelings about Ms. Read’s guilt or innocence. “Can you imagine prosecutors trying to push this boulder of a case uphill again?” he said. “Won’t it just slide back and crush them?”

Jury Near Boston Deadlocks in Murder Case Against Karen Read

imo, I don’t believe this repeat trial will ever happen
I have the NYT on full boycott so I cannot read this.

Strong feelings is not enough to corrupt a jury.
They saw the evidence, better than we did.
The medical evidence was simplified, particularly by Dr Sheridan.

Simplified BARD.
With reasons and rationale provided in simple language. It's not like he is not an expert, 13000 autopsies.

What could have possibly tainted them after hearing that???

It cannot be the colour of her hair, clothes, mannerisms or personality because that only goes so far.

I think there is a story here, a big story.

I have no idea who will dare to break it though..

Does anyone know if Judge Cannone will be the same judge for the retrial? I ask because I feel like a different judge might look at the evidence collection/chain of custody of such evidence as contaminated. I assume a judge can throw out evidence based on contamination through collection processes. I mean there is a reason why evidence collection is done with air tight plastic containers, and a crime scene is preserved to the beat of one's ability, yes? Not to mention using a blowers to blow evidence all over the place. Wouldn't one maybe clear off the snow with a better tool? MOO
More than likely unless they switch venue.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice
Back