TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
CCTV is cheap but the problem is storage and retention. There's at least one recent case that I know of where the missing person was at a Chevron but by the time the family/LE had found this info, it had already been erased.
Plus, like any technology, cameras require constant maintenance and upgrading of hardware and software.

IMO, cameras are installed not for public safety, but for preventing and solving crime, and more recently, preventing lawsuits. And they are used in conjunction with other forms of deterrance, like alarms.

They can't protect public safety, since they can only provide info after the fact. Which is why internet sleuthers love them so much.

JMO

I can only say from my watching it:

1. GHI takes as gospel the story of this extra surveillance footage of Caleb, held back by police for some inexplicable reason.

2. It allegedly shows Caleb near Simon Bank walking south
toward the Oso Bay hiking trails.

3. I must admit his speculation irritates me, but here are some screenshots from the transcript, and anyone who thinks that this is legitimate new information with import can continue with the transcript. I kind of doubt the relevance, myself.

View attachment 515412View attachment 515413View attachment 515414

Lets face it. These YouTubers will pretty much say anything as long as it increases traffic to their websites. Clicks, likes, comments, Patreon = money. I would rather wait until the CCPD confirms the video first before I believe GH and his "source".

Right now it's only a rumour.

Lets face it. These YouTubers will pretty much say anything as long as it increases traffic to their websites. Clicks, likes, comments, Patreon = money. I would rather wait until the CCPD confirms the video first before I believe GH and his "source".

Right now it's only a rumour.
Agreed. I guess what at least seemed to make it different is that Gray Hughs Investigates is an approved source on Websleuths. But it does seem like iffy information….

Has the body been identified yet? It's been at least a week since found, right? I would assume it likely LE already had Harris family DNA for comparison to rule in/out, or no?

I would assume that LE would collect DNA samples after the finding of "unknown remains." Where I live (California) the State sends in samples of the decedent's DNA - but does not compel in any way that the relatives of a missing person give DNA samples.

So it depends. And CA is a progressive state that wants to use DNA to solve crimes.

Did the family give their DNA samples in a legally admissible way? It seems like a stretch to me. So even if the family rapidly came forward with volunteer DNA samples, I'm not sure that the chain of custody and the results could be made known by the State (it's evidence).

There are so many technicalities here. First would be running the dead person's DNA to see if it matched DNA already in the system. It probably would not. Then what? Ask the families to submit DNA samples (if both parents agree, that's optimal). They probably want to do submit - but have to do it in a manner that the Court accepts.

There might be a crime involved here. Rules of the local jurisdiction ought to be followed.

A week is not very long for all of this - many coroners have a backlog. Further. there's the oncoming hurricane and those issues (Corpus Christi appears to be well within the cone).

I live in CA where there are generally no hurricanes or typhoons. It takes 3-4 weeks for labs to run all the DNA tests and cross-tests and secondary tests.

Because if the lab is okayed by LE it's because they are very very careful.

IMO.

Agreed. I guess what at least seemed to make it different is that Gray Hughs Investigates is an approved source on Websleuths. But it does seem like iffy information….
I'm very iffy. The rumors yesterday were confirmed by that friend of the family, but I haven't seen anything to confirm the surveillance footage. I respect true crime journalists a lot, and feel they genuinely get leads LE doesn't or flat out ignores, but I've been very iffy about posting here about this case because of the blurriness.

I'm very iffy. The rumors yesterday were confirmed by that friend of the family, but I haven't seen anything to confirm the surveillance footage. I respect true crime journalists a lot, and feel they genuinely get leads LE doesn't or flat out ignores, but I've been very iffy about posting here about this case because of the blurriness.
Yes, you have to wonder where this bank surveillance footage rumor arose from, what the exact source was, and why law enforcement would have held such footage back. They do hold information back, but I’m not sure why they would something of that nature.

I would assume that LE would collect DNA samples after the finding of "unknown remains." Where I live (California) the State sends in samples of the decedent's DNA - but does not compel in any way that the relatives of a missing person give DNA samples.

So it depends. And CA is a progressive state that wants to use DNA to solve crimes.

Did the family give their DNA samples in a legally admissible way? It seems like a stretch to me. So even if the family rapidly came forward with volunteer DNA samples, I'm not sure that the chain of custody and the results could be made known by the State (it's evidence).

There are so many technicalities here. First would be running the dead person's DNA to see if it matched DNA already in the system. It probably would not. Then what? Ask the families to submit DNA samples (if both parents agree, that's optimal). They probably want to do submit - but have to do it in a manner that the Court accepts.

There might be a crime involved here. Rules of the local jurisdiction ought to be followed.

A week is not very long for all of this - many coroners have a backlog. Further. there's the oncoming hurricane and those issues (Corpus Christi appears to be well within the cone).

I live in CA where there are generally no hurricanes or typhoons. It takes 3-4 weeks for labs to run all the DNA tests and cross-tests and secondary tests.

Because if the lab is okayed by LE it's because they are very very careful.

IMO.
The remains were transported to the University of North Texas last week. I am curious what role the local coroner (from Corpus Christi) plays if the remains are hundreds of miles away. Do they make the trip up to UNT as well?

The remains were transported to the University of North Texas last week. I am curious what role the local coroner (from Corpus Christi) plays if the remains are hundreds of miles away. Do they make the trip up to UNT as well?
It seems they believe the University of N Texas has more resources and technical expertise to handle these remains. Or at least that’s what I had assumed. But maybe it’s a joint effort.

I seem to recall some news sites saying that CH's last phone ping was somewhere away from his apt but they "thought it was not accurate" or something like that. Of course I cannot find old sources- This timeline says there was a ping at 3:12...https://www.newsnationnow.com/missing/caleb-harris-timeline-missing/ Not sure if we were told exactly where that was.

I seem to recall some news sites saying that CH's last phone ping was somewhere away from his apt but they "thought it was not accurate" or something like that. Of course I cannot find old sources- This timeline says there was a ping at 3:12...https://www.newsnationnow.com/missing/caleb-harris-timeline-missing/ Not sure if we were told exactly where that was.
The location of the last ping is not clear. This interview by Jennifer Coffindaffer and CH's family discusses this. It's at the 34 minute 50 seconds mark.

Great question, and one that was overlooked entirely by Gray Hughes, IMO.
Right, Hughs simply sets forth that there is extra surveillance footage kept back by law enforcement showing Caleb sometime after 3 am walking south near Simmons bank. No mention of source or if it comes from family or an inside source.
@archenemy toenail

Right, Hughs simply sets forth that there is extra surveillance footage kept back by law enforcement showing Caleb sometime after 3 am walking south near Simmons bank. No mention of source or if it comes from family or an inside source.
Bringing my above post forward to add:
The only way I can imagine it being legitimate is if law enforcement held back the footage as part of a foul play scenario investigation. Gray Hughs views it as a legitimate leak. But who knows…

Bringing my above post forward to add:
The only way I can imagine it being legitimate is if law enforcement held back the footage as part of a foul play scenario investigation. Gray Hughs views it as a legitimate leak. But who knows…
I have heard of security footage being held back— I believe that happened in the Morgan Harrington case in VA which was investigated by the state police. Not sure if the jurisdiction plays any part in those decisions?

And if it was held back by LE on purpose in Caleb’s case, I can’t help but wonder if this leak might cause problems with the investigation.

And if it was held back by LE on purpose in Caleb’s case, I can’t help but wonder if this leak might cause problems with the investigation
SBM
Likely, unless the leak was deliberate, which has also been known to happen.

I just wish we had more than hypotheticals to go on, but that too is often par for the course.

I have heard of security footage being held back— I believe that happened in the Morgan Harrington case in VA which was investigated by the state police. Not sure if the jurisdiction plays any part in those decisions?

And if it was held back by LE on purpose in Caleb’s case, I can’t help but wonder if this leak might cause problems with the investigation.
I have to say, in the unlikely event that LE did discover and then hold back security camera footage appearing to show Caleb at that location, there would be no reason for them not to have quickly issued a bulletin saying something like, "We have reason to believe that Caleb Harris was on Rodfield Road, in the area of Simmons Bank, at approximately 3:10 a.m. on March 4th. Please review your cameras or contact the tip line if you were in the area and believe you saw Caleb Harris or anything unusual, no matter how insignificant you may think it is."

JMO.

Your post reminds me of one of the things I love about Websleuths - it's a collective group of people who bring all kinds of knowledge, experiences, interests, beliefs, strengths, etc and we each remember some - but not all - things about a thread. So when one of us remembers something - even part of something - there are other members who can help clarify and/or fill in the blanks and/or start researching a new thought or possibility.

I have to say, in the unlikely event that LE did discover and then hold back security camera footage appearing to show Caleb at that location, there would be no reason for them not to have quickly issued a bulletin saying something like, "We have reason to believe that Caleb Harris was on Rodfield Road, in the area of Simmons Bank, at approximately 3:10 a.m. on March 4th. Please review your cameras or contact the tip line if you were in the area and believe you saw Caleb Harris or anything unusual, no matter how insignificant you may think it is."

JMO.
This is what I would assume would be the case as well!
But what of the theory that LE might not want a suspect to know that they had this information regarding Caleb being seen headed south toward the trails? This is what GHI would appear to be implying….
In any case it’s all very confusing.

For CC locals- do people really walk on these streets (Rodfield, Ennis Johnson)? They look so car oriented- wide, empty- I could see a bicycle on the side walk, but they just look not-pedestrian friendly- too wide, too hot, etc. Do college students walk on them? Thanks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freedomc
Back