MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct. Here is what she said:
“she didn’t feel prosecutors had convinced her beyond a reasonable doubt that Read was guilty of the charges, WBZ reported.”

It's just not fair that this juror spent the whole trial taking hyper-diligent notes and then got excluded from the final result.

Speaking about POK's interview, specifically his reasoning for suspecting Karen on Jan 29th. Per his statement, it was his wife Erin who put the doubt in play, due to KR's quickly leaving the OK residence after returning from the hospital. Was that around ten or eleven am? What is not mentioned in there however, is Jen McCabe's 'version' of events had already been swirling in the air by then. JMC had contacted EVERYONE she could think of, including JOK's family. That information is included in her call log history, as long as she didn't delete it that is.

Do you think KR felt that 'funny feeling' that everyone is looking at you, and thinks you are an alcoholic murderer by that time? I would have. IMO

Poor Paul...he just can't see the trees..
Karen probably would have been exhausted from lack of sleep, hung over if she had been drunk, and emotionally drained from all the morning events (driving around, finding JOK's body, police interviews, hospital). By the time she got to the OK residence, she just would have needed to get some sleep, and she wanted to get her belongings. It didn't sound like she knew the rest of John's family very well, so sticking around might have been awkward for everyone. If she had been "guilty", would she have even showed up at all? I doubt it!

Which leads me to wonder, why wasn't she arrested and taken into custody that very morning?

I do wonder if after the OK family have time to reflect on everything uncovered during the trial, if they will be able to see how the behavior of the McCabes, Alberts, Higgins and Proctor contributed to the chaos of understanding John's death. And those animal bites ... how does that get reconciled?

MOO.

My biggest takeaway from his interview was he doesn’t care about the evidence, Karen did it and she didn’t act the way they wanted after and she did it, and she did it.

The family has been through an unimaginable amount of trauma it’s hard to blame them for their convictions, but I’ll just have to respectfully disagree with his opinion that Karen hit him with a car, I don’t think he was even hit by any car
What got to me about his interview was how incensed he was over Proctor's PERSONAL phone being seized, with all the nasty texts on it, like poor Proctor was another "victim" in all of this, his life being ruined. He was also strangely upset that the FBI was called in to investigate, and he wants answers as to why that was ordered.

I have scoured the internet, and cannot find anything to substantiate the claim that Yannetti initially said publically that it was a horrible "accident" and they would prove it in court. Anyone?

Well, I'm saying it can't fit with state theory so we disagree on that I guess. If the prosecution had an expert witness who was willing to say JO could have crawled from kerb to where he was found they would have had them on the stand.IMO. The actual ME was not even willing to say that, or Lally would have elicited as much from her to support what I guess might amount to a slightly less fantastic theory, jmo. Although once again, minus any bruising and a blood trail from the kerb to the lawn and the fact of the essentially noncontested expert evidence on dog scratches and dog bite, even if someone was willing to testify JO was not rendered unconscious immediately, such a theory would be unreasonable imo and test the bounds of credibility. Jmo

What I am getting at is because they didn't do a good enough job on the original crime scene documentation, the analysis and the presentation at trial - I think we can't ever know what actually happened BARD.

A proper investigation in the first hours, together with proper analysis, should have identified what likely did, and what did not happen.

That's all lost to us.

I do think there is an implication from some state evidence that he was hit by a car - but not enough for us to know what event actually caused his death. And if they can't prove a part of the Actus Reus then NG is the correct verdict.

From post number 453
"Certainly it's not consistent with getting hit by the car and ending up where he did, even if the ground is somehow hard enough to cause that type of an injury," he said of O'Keefe head injuries. "We don't really have enough evidence in this case to determine what one specific event actually caused that injury."

MOO

Last edited:
It's just not fair that this juror spent the whole trial taking hyper-diligent notes and then got excluded from the final result.
That’s the way the system works though. Not just this case. I think there were 2 jurors released during the trial. If there weren’t alternates ready to step in, then what would happen? It’d definitely be a bummer tho to be an unused alternate juror.

I have scoured the internet, and cannot find anything to substantiate the claim that Yannetti initially said publically that it was a horrible "accident" and they would prove it in court. Anyone?
I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to search that and nothing is coming up.

It was game over for me when the dog walker claimed she'd never been inside their house..
The rehearsal theme collapsed entirely..
Poor coaching.
Do you have a link to this? I'm a dog walker and have tried googling but every time I do it's all about Chloe.

Edit: While I haven't been in every room of every house I walk from, in 20+ years of doing this I've never NOT been in a client's house.

When covid came into play, we did make changes, such as the dog being in the backyard for pickups and drop offs, or on the porch.

Last edited:
I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to search that and nothing is coming up.
I found this from Boston Inside dated February 4, 2022, a day or so after her indictment. It implies that it was an accident, but he doesn't actually say so:

Read's attorney, David Yannetti, told Inside Edition Digital that the charge of manslaughter by the DA’s office is “clearly a tremendous reach.”
“They will be unable to prove the criminal intent necessary for manslaughter,” Yannetti said. “I also think it’s questionable whether they will even get an indictment for that charge.”

What got to me about his interview was how incensed he was over Proctor's PERSONAL phone being seized, with all the nasty texts on it, like poor Proctor was another "victim" in all of this, his life being ruined. He was also strangely upset that the FBI was called in to investigate, and he wants answers as to why that was ordered.
Yes, he seemed to minimize any evidence related to LE, as if he thought it normal for a lead investigator to text statements like Proctor did about Karen, so long as it’s done from his personal phone. Unmmm, no that’s not okay.

I have a question, how many of you good people have butt dialed someone with an IPhone or android? I'm literally curious because I haven't in about 18 years since I had a Blackberry.

I have an iPhone and certainly have. Two ways it happens to me:

1. When I hang up with someone after talking to them and the dialing screen hasn’t cleared or they hung up before I did, then when I press the hang up button, it redials.

2. When I put my phone in my purse or pocket without it being in lock mode. My mother does this frequently to me when she is out shopping lol.

All that said, no way do I believe the amount of butt-dialing AND butt-answering that was claimed in this case. Ridiculous!

Yes, he seemed to minimize any evidence related to LE, as if he thought it normal for a lead investigator to text statements like Proctor did about Karen, so long as it’s done from his personal phone. Unmmm, no that’s not okay.
I think we have to remember that POK’s brother, our victim, JOK was a police officer, a Boston Police Officer. JOK died at the home of another Boston Police Officer.
I think POK can not bring himself to believe that it was fellow officers who were responsible for killing him and covering it up; much easier to blame the girlfriend with whom JOK had a contentious relationship.

No it’s not ok … he’s the LEAD investigator. I mean really? Does anyone believe an unbiased investigation ever took place? Moo

I think POK can not bring himself to believe that it was fellow officers who were responsible for killing him and covering it up; much easier to blame the girlfriend with whom JOK had a contentious relationship.

Did you watch his interview? Paul O'Keefe made it sound like his family were all suspicious at the start due to KR's behaviour.

The most odd account of her behaviour that I heard from the witness testimonies (and again from Paul's interview) was that shortly after JOK's death was confirmed, Paul O'Keefe's wife who was reasonably close with Karen, called her to check if she was doing Okay. Karen replied that she needed to remember the bad times and that she probably wouldn't be seeing them any more.

POK's wife then relayed that to the rest of the family. I can understand why they all found that behaviour to be suspicious.

I can also perhaps understand on Karen's part that she'd always felt like an outsider and that since the only thing linking her to the rest of the family (JOK) was gone, that she didn't feel that she had a place there anymore.
Also, at that point she may have believed that she'd accidentally killed JOK - "I hit him"/"Could I have hit him".

Some people display odd and unexpected behaviour in times of shock and in grief.
While KR appears to very intelligent, it's clear that she's a complete mess in the face of a crises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper