MO - Furious Friends Demand Answers After 3 Men Found Dead at Kansas City Home Days After Watching Football Game, January 2024 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My thought go to the three KC men that did not expect to pass away so young. Posting this also as a reminder that these type of cases are prosecuted more often than some may realize. They knew it was fentanyl pills they were dealing and continued to deal after this man died. Both these men face up to 15 years-to-life in state prison.

I don't follow sports as much as some do, but Junior Seau was a legendary football linebacker, and a celebrity around San Diego county before his death. So, this arrest of his nephew is making the news big time around here.

On Tuesday, San Diego County District Attorney Summer Stephan announced murder and conspiracy charges against Sheri Cavanaugh, 59, and Micah Seau, 31, for allegedly selling fentanyl pills to a 31-year-old man who died after an overdose in Pacific Beach.
[...]

“These defendants were aware of the dangers of the illegal drugs they were selling and in a callous indifference to the victim’s overdose death, conspired to continue dealing this poison in our communities,” said Stephan.

My thought go to the three KC men that did not expect to pass away so young. Posting this also as a reminder that these type of cases are prosecuted more often than some may realize. They knew it was fentanyl pills they were dealing and continued to deal after this man died. Both these men face up to 15 years-to-life in state prison.

I don't follow sports as much as some do, but Junior Seau was a legendary football linebacker, and a celebrity around San Diego county before his death. So, this arrest of his nephew is making the news big time around here.

On Tuesday, San Diego County District Attorney Summer Stephan announced murder and conspiracy charges against Sheri Cavanaugh, 59, and Micah Seau, 31, for allegedly selling fentanyl pills to a 31-year-old man who died after an overdose in Pacific Beach.
[...]

“These defendants were aware of the dangers of the illegal drugs they were selling and in a callous indifference to the victim’s overdose death, conspired to continue dealing this poison in our communities,” said Stephan.
I agree it's a shame the 3 men died. But so far as I can tell, all the links about homicide prosecutions for selling fentanyl posted on WS have involved cases where the seller knew he/she was selling fentanyl and in many of the cases, the victim buyer was specifically seeking fentanyl pills.

Because we don't know who supplied the drugs in this case, we don't know if #1 is true. But #2 seems pretty unlikely to me.

It's also true that a new MO drug law proposed in fall 2023 failed to be enacted. It would have increased penalties (up to 30 years) for knowingly delivering a controlled substance that’s mixed with another controlled substance if it results in serious physical injury or death. (Of course, there are already laws against distributing fentanyl but penalties are less severe.)

MOO

...Because we don't know who supplied the drugs in this case, we don't know if #1 is true. But #2 seems pretty unlikely to me.
Got to have hope this can be controlled better someday. Technicalities aside, hope it crosses minds that the person or people involved in supplying the three could know full well that they caused deaths, and still be out there indifferent to the death of these three men-- and they could very well still be in the supply chain business as usual, or even small time dealing.

LE is very serious about prosecuting here if there's a fatality. Once there's a fatality, you're more likely on their radar. Being so close to the Mexican border agencies work together. They can go after the smaller to locate the bigger source.

Got to have hope this can be controlled better someday. Technicalities aside, hope it crosses minds that the person or people involved in supplying the three could know full well that they caused deaths, and still be out there indifferent to the death of these three men-- and they could very well still be in the supply chain business as usual, or even small time dealing.

LE is very serious about prosecuting here if there's a fatality. Once there's a fatality, you're more likely on their radar. Being so close to the Mexican border agencies work together. They can go after the smaller to locate the bigger source.
Could be. We just don't know where the drugs the 3 men used came from or have any way to know if the seller knew he was selling fentanyl or if the men were specifically seeking fentanyl (although I personally doubt they were.) People knowingly selling fentanyl and people knowingly buying it have been the case in the other links posted here about prosecuting dealers and are more than technicalities it seems to me.

Regardless, control of the fentanyl problem isn't going to come from prosecuting street-level dealers IMO. Sometimes busted dealers will rat out those higher up-- that's traditionally been the approach to illegal drug prosecutions-- give immunity or attractive plea deals to low level sellers in order to catch bigger fish. But we all know where the fentanyl and precursor chemicals used to make it are ultimately coming from. With suppliers receiving explicit support from some foreign governments, it seems we won't win the battle against fentanyl the traditional way. And when there is a death, I'm not sure how likely it would be that the actual seller would be given a break in order to convince him to help catch others higher up the chain.

We obviously don't know everything LE is doing or has done in this case. But we do know from the start, despite some family members outright claiming the men were "murdered" the police have stated their investigation wasn't a homicide investigation. But things may be happening. The latest update I've seen (April 24)

"New on Wednesday, we now know that the Platte County Prosecutor’s Office is in communication with the fifth man’s lawyer."

As we've discussed before, the fifth man arrived later than the others and reportedly left around midnight. He said the 3 men and JW were watching Jeopardy when he left. He quickly lawyered up after the bodies were found. It's not surprising there might be communication but I'd not seen it reported anywhere else.
MOO
Edit: typo

Last edited:
not shocking and not really an update. MOO

We knew the preliminary tox results months back. LE told us months ago they didn't consider anything as foul play and indicated they would be not launching a murder investigation. Again, I get the families wishes to see someone pay for their loved ones' deaths. But we may never know who the dealer was let alone if that person knew it was laced, if they got it that way and from who, etc. I have sympathy for their loss, but I don't think they will get the sort of satisfaction they are looking for.

not shocking and not really an update. MOO

We knew the preliminary tox results months back. LE told us months ago they didn't consider anything as foul play and indicated they would be not launching a murder investigation. Again, I get the families wishes to see someone pay for their loved ones' deaths. But we may never know who the dealer was let alone if that person knew it was laced, if they got it that way and from who, etc. I have sympathy for their loss, but I don't think they will get the sort of satisfaction they are looking for.
I think you are correct. In the Matthew Perry overdose case, it appears the police have a pretty good trail to get to who supplied the drugs and going to charge someone. But here, I suspect that the person that brought the drugs and knew where they came from is dead. The police may well suspect where they were obtained, but will never be able to prove it. Very sad. it has to be very tough for the families because the deaths are just so senseless.

Sounds like the end of a tragic story. Feel bad for the families of the three men... left with no answers? moo

This is the NY Post, so with that said, take this July 10 article with a full shaker of salt.

The families of the three dead men say they are being stone walled by officials, who after six months have yet to tell them how their loved ones died.

Full article at link...

Family members said they feel they are being ignored and have not received any updates from the prosecutor’s office beyond confirmation that the deaths are not being investigated as a homicide.

Sounds like the end of a tragic story. Feel bad for the families of the three men... left with no answers? moo

This is the NY Post, so with that said, take this July 10 article with a full shaker of salt.

The families of the three dead men say they are being stone walled by officials, who after six months have yet to tell them how their loved ones died.

Full article at link...

Family members said they feel they are being ignored and have not received any updates from the prosecutor’s office beyond confirmation that the deaths are not being investigated as a homicide.
thank you for this update. I just do not see what kind of update they are expecting to receive beyond, we believe no crime happened here and therefore we will not be investigating it as such. What else do they expect LE or the DA to say?

I get that they are grieving, and that is probably horrible for them. They've gotten toxicology reports which indicate fentanyl was involved. I understand their frustration that they haven't received the ME reports.

But even if they had them, these people wouldn't be satisfied. They have found the person they feel is responsible. The only man who lived. And they will not be receiving the satisfaction they are looking for because LE has no plans apparently on pursuing the who or where of how their loved ones came into the drugs they ingested that night.

July 10 NYP Story. Families of the 3 Men. Med Examiner. Atty.

Full article at link...
@arielilane Thx for keeping up w this case & posting. As you said, tragic, but imo not necessarily the end.

Snipped from article* when in quote marks (content is out of order):
FAMILIES say/feel:
Still being "stonewalled... [authorities] have yet to tell them how their loved ones died."
"Never been told an official cause of death after nearly six months."
"They are being ignored and have not received any updates from the prosecutor’s office beyond confirmation that the deaths are not being investigated as a homicide."
IF LE investigation is still open, it’s common that neither LE nor prosecutor not give any update details even to fam, friends, et.

"Nobody is being held accountable."< Jim McG., uncle of Clayton McGeeney.
If he means no arrests to date, well, okay but may happen eventually. Or not, IDK.

AUTOPSY RPT & MED EXAMINER:
- "... toxicology report revealed that the three men had a mix of fentanyl, cocaine and THC in their systems... "
- “Our office finalized cause and manners of death for all three of the referenced decedents..."
- "All three cases are under suppression status and not open records available for release at this time.”
Imo seems 'Suppression Status' is may apply to ME's entire reports but which would not YET be subject to release under MO. Open Records laws.

A LAWYER "close to the families:”
-"believes criminal charges may never come due to the length of time that has passed and the lack of communication between police and Platte County prosecutors."
^ Lawyer (not ID'ed by name) told Fox4. If a relative had engaged an atty, seems likely atty would be (more than) willing to be named IDK.
Imo: Long time? 8 mo's = long time for fam, not necessarily for LE investigation.
Does this atty know specifically about lack of communication in this case?

A CONTRADICTION in the article? Not necessarily.
"As authorities continue to investigate the deaths" <--- No date; not ID'ed.
BUT see ^ re Fam saying, ^ no updates besides “the prosecutor’s office … confirmation that the deaths are not being investigated as a homicide."

Not a homicide investigation? Could it still be a death investigation, say, in the larger context of drug ring investigation? If so, there may not be prosecution for deaths of these three men specifically but maybe others could be arrested & face trial for manuf’ing, dealing, & related drug offenses?

This is confusing. If there is no homicide investigation, there wouldn't be much reason to not release the reports. Have they released a full death certificate?
I've run into this problem before where LE just continues to say a case is "under investigation" to prevent release of information even though there isn't much going on. This case isn't that old yet however. If after a year, nothing is released, I think the families could press the issue.

Does anyone think that perhaps there isn’t a homicide investigation going but PD is still investigating the drug aspect and potentially looking to lay charges on the supplier and dealer? Or a negligence charge on the homeowner (or renter; can’t remember)? This could result in an ongoing investigation and refusal to release records at this time. I would think it could also impact manner of death (accidental vs suicide) which would potentially make a big difference to life insurance companies.

Does anyone think that perhaps there isn’t a homicide investigation going but PD is still investigating the drug aspect and potentially looking to lay charges on the supplier and dealer? Or a negligence charge on the homeowner (or renter; can’t remember)? This could result in an ongoing investigation and refusal to release records at this time. I would think it could also impact manner of death (accidental vs suicide) which would potentially make a big difference to life insurance companies.
If they were just looking at drug charges against someone and not some sort of homicide, then there really is no reason that the autopsy reports couldn't be released and a full death certificate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BootsMinor
Back