OH OH - Kurt Sova, 17, vanished from a party, body found in ravine, 23 Oct 1981 *fresh initiative*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There used to be an older thread on this case, but apparently it's archived. If anyone can find the address where Kurt lived, where he was found, etc., I'll take some photos of the area and post them. Let me know.
I'd love to see these. All I can find at the moment is Newburgh Heights just outside of Cleveland. I'm an Ohioan and I've been impatiently waiting for any answers for Kurt.

New video..@link.
40 years since suspicious death of teenager Kurt Sova, case goes cold again
''40 years since suspicious death of teenager Kurt Sova, case goes cold again
Updated: 2 hours ago''

Great link below..
https://www.crimecon.com/in-his-own...ls-the-story-of-life-without-his-brother-kurt
''In His Own Words: Kevin Sova Tells the Story of Life Without His Brother Kurt
Kevin Sova • Feb 06, 2020
2-e832bd5b-1920w.png

''When he left that October to go to the party on a Friday, it wasn’t out of the ordinary. He was 17 that year. He was starting to do things on his own like we all did. He’d have a beer with us or smoke a joint occasionally but it wasn’t really his thing. His scene was more along the lines of being outdoors, going fishing with Danny and Jon.

When he didn’t come home Friday night, I don’t think anyone really realized it. Our home at the time was a Depression-era single-family home that had been converted into a two-family duplex which was pretty common then. The four boys lived in the upstairs apartment, so he’d come in and go up and go to bed and it wasn’t uncommon not to see him until the next morning.

The following morning when we woke up and saw that Kurt hadn’t come home, that also wasn’t something we thought was out of the ordinary -- until we talked to Danny. Then we talked to Jon. He wasn’t with either of them. When we realized nobody had seen him, panic started to set in. We exhausted every avenue we had and Mom finally contacted the police department but they wouldn’t take a missing person report until Sunday.

Because of my Mom’s investigative nature, we found out about the party and where it was. We showed up at the house and the people who lived there denied ever having a party, although they later admitted that they did have a party but Kurt wasn’t there. Then they later said that he was there. There were so many lies and different stories coming from the house where the party was held, we knew something wasn’t right.''

Last edited:
Here's the link to the 11 pm report.

40 years since suspicious death of teenager Kurt Sova, case goes cold again

Police followed up on leads from a couple years ago. They interviewed and polygraphed several people who saw him last. They did eliminate one suspect.

Still nothing new. His brother thinks it was probanly an accident.

Praise to Newburgh Heights PD for making such an effort in the last 2 years to solve the case.

May 21 2022 rbbm.
by: Peggy Gallek
Investigators seeking answers in 1981 mysterious death case
''Police say Dorothy devoted years of time looking into her son’s death, leaving detectives pages and pages of details notes about what she found.

About three years ago, her notebook was taken out of the evidence box and read by a criminal justice professor and a dozen students at Tiffin University who analyzed evidence in the case.

They worked with police following up on information and tips.

Newburgh Heights Police Chief John Majoy says those notes are a huge help to investigators who are still trying to crack the case and determine if Sova met with foul play before his death.

“We traveled three states away for polygraphs,” Majoy said. “We traveled hundreds of miles and put in thousands of hours of work on this case, which had not been done up until now.”

In the past three years, Newburgh Heights police have interviewed several of the witnesses, but they say they are still not sure exactly how the teenager died.

The police chief said part of the challenges detectives face now is due to the fact, at the time of Sova’s death, officers didn’t do much of an investigation.

“In 1981, the case wasn’t handled very well,“ Majoy said. “They did a mediocre investigation at best.”

But he says he still hopes to one day find that missing puzzle piece and figure out how a teenager with a bright future ahead of him ended up dead in a grassy field.

“I would like to be able to go to the family and give them the answer that they are seeking,” Majoy said. “Because at the end of the day, that’s really all that they want.”

Weather underground lists the average Temp for the 23rd and 24th at around 30 degrees and the high in the low 40s. Previous posts say 56 degrees. I wonder what the temperature was actually? My first thought was a combination of intoxication, maybe a fall down the rocks of the ravine, cold temperatures and perhaps a head injury?

Did they ever find Craig Franco's killer? I have been looking but can't seem to find anything on this.

The following is all amateur opinion and speculation after reading about this, and Eugene Kvet's case for 15 minutes.
In general, I shy away from fantastic theories and extreme scenarios. In this particular case, I absolutely believe that there is a deeply troubling and dark element to both Kurt and Eugene's demises. And in my opinion, there is absolutely no doubt that the two are related.

If Kurt was buried, and no hair sample was kept, I would exhume and retest a hair sample, hoping that one could be obtained. Something was missed in the tox report; likely something not routinely tested for, or at least in 1981. MDMA comes to mind, especially because of the vomiting: "...MDMA gained a small following among psychiatrists in the late 1970s and early 1980s, despite the fact that the drug had not undergone formal clinical trials nor received approval from the FDA...." What is the history of MDMA? | National Institute on Drug Abuse

It doesn't take a super sleuth to figure out that the death of Kurt's friend Eugene Kvet and his were linked.
I do not think this was a bunch of teens at a party where one accidentally o.d'ed. Not. even. This was something much, much darker. And yeah, lot's of people know about it but either have a pact of complicit silence, or are too scared to speak up. I think the autopsy reports of both teens (if thorough), and specific signs on their bodies, would reveal much more about what happened to them in the days leading up to where they were found.

As to the symbolism behind the positioning of Kurt's body, that has opposing interpretations; both of a Christian nature, and quite the opposite. The missing shoe seems like a trophy or to prove the deed was done. I can't help but think of the Wizard of Oz and taking the witches broom to prove she was dead.

In my mind, one thing is very clear. This.was.no.accident. Adding the death of Eugene Kvet, the Victim's friend and neighbor who was similarly found in a ravine....well this is very dark indeed. More than a couple of those party goers likely know a LOT more than they have revealed. Time for another round of interviews.

Amateur opinion and speculation

January 27, 2020
Hundreds to gather at Chicago CrowdSolve to examine Newburgh Heights cold case
''Hundreds to gather at Chicago CrowdSolve to examine Newburgh Heights cold case
Can hundreds of strangers solve a cold case? CrimeCon's CrowdSolve event will comb through Kurt Sova's case in search of answers.''

''Kurt Sova's case will become the focal point of CrowdSolve, a CrimeCon event that invites the public to apply detective work to unsolved cases. Participants will gather at Chicago's Hilton Palmer House Feb. 21-23 to combine their heads in attempt to find answers to Kurt's death.''

''Retired U.S. Marshal Arthur Roderick suggested Kurt's case to CrowdSolve's producers, who decided the case happened close enough to Chicago to appeal to the region.

"It's a rare thing to find police departments that are open to what we do," Balfe explained. "Certainly Newburgh Heights was."

''Newburgh Heights Police Chief John Majoy said he hadn't heard of CrowdSolve until they reached out. Once he learned about CrowdSolve's objectives, he said his department was excited at the opportunity.

"We were also humbled to have this case selected because our thought process was that if we bring enough attention to the case, perhaps someone may come forward with information to help us solve it," Majoy said. "They saw our press conference and reached out to us, which is terrific. Now we want to capitalize on this opportunity and perhaps march toward solving this case."

CrowdSolve is for anyone interested in advancing their true crime enthusiasm. Balfe expects the event to attract 300-400 attendees, who will work in breakout groups to examine file packets on pertinent elements of Sova's case. The groups will reconvene to present their findings for the Newburgh Heights Police Department.

"What we're trying to bring are average people — teachers, architects, people from all walks of life. It's for people interested in taking the next step from the couch," Balfe said, though he added that it's a hands-on, immersive experience. "It's a really rewarding weekend, but also a highly emotional one. It's not for the fan who just wants to sit and listen."

Majoy, who will be in attendance at the CrowdSolve event, added that he doesn't expect to return home with all the answers, but remains optimistic CrowdSolve could nudge the investigation in the right direction.''

WOW! What a terrific organization!
JMO

''Kurt Sova: My True Crime Journey Into An Unsolved Mystery Paperback – Oct. 2 2022''​

''In 2015 Press Graye started his own investigation into the mysterious death of Kurt Sova. Five years later, his investigative work opened the doors for the Oxygen Channel to showcase his work at the 2020 Crime Con Kurt Sova Crowd Solve event. This is a short-length book that includes the original Kurt Sova investigation made famous by Unsolved Mysteries and Press Graye's exclusive case file.''

Lots of detail at link, still reading..
Maybe it is a typical pm pose, but it reminds me of the male victim in the uid couple thread..
Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #7

What Happened to Kurt Sova?
"The crowd at the party were a couple of years older than Kurt and Samuel. Kurt allegedly became disruptive while consuming alcohol and/or drugs, and this caused him to fall ill and start vomiting.

Samuel stated that he accompanied Kurt outside for 20–30 minutes. Kurt sported a yellow t-shirt, Samuel also only had on a t-shirt. The temperature was a chilly 56 degrees, this tempted Samuel to go back into the house to grab their jackets. Kurt rested against the chain-link fence. After a brief trip inside (2 or 3 minutes), Samuel arrived back to the scenario of a missing Kurt.

He searched the nearby streets and a parking lot connected to J.L. Goodman Furniture Inc. warehouse, (this location not being far from the spot where Kurt was eventually found). After no luck in locating Kurt, he assumed Kurt had walked home; Samuel went back to the party.

Samuel Carroll’s statement: I can only guess that someone he knew picked him up because it happened that fast. Someone had to pick him up in a car.”

His body was positioned in a puddle amongst the trash, face turned to the side, to form a Christ-like crucifixion. Both shoes were missing, his left shoe was eventually found between two rocks — twelve feet away from the body. Kurt’s right foot had a sock on; his left foot didn’t.
0*uniQy3rHBIQ1zDcC.png

(Photo from EXIT 9 reenactment)

Kurt had a bruise on his cheek and numerous bruises on his shins. A few abrasions were found on his flesh. No bullet holes, knife wounds, needle punctures, or internal injuries existed.
A big thank you to @Sweetluv and @dotr for bumping this thread. I have never heard of this case before and it is very interesting.

I do have one question though regarding the post I replied to above. Many of the original articles in this thread are no longer available so I can't go to the source to find an answer. I'm hoping someone who was here when the thread started may be able to provide an answer. So, the picture in the post I quoted, I've seen numerous reference in the thread stating no pictures were taken of Kurt's body until he was on the stretcher being removed from the scene. If that is the case, where is this picture from?

A big thank you to @Sweetluv and @dotr for bumping this thread. I have never heard of this case before and it is very interesting.

I do have one question though regarding the post I replied to above. Many of the original articles in this thread are no longer available so I can't go to the source to find an answer. I'm hoping someone who was here when the thread started may be able to provide an answer. So, the picture in the post I quoted, I've seen numerous reference in the thread stating no pictures were taken of Kurt's body until he was on the stretcher being removed from the scene. If that is the case, where is this picture from?
Welcome to Ws. good point!
''(Photo from EXIT 9 reenactment)''

Jun 1, 2023 Podcasts - Full Episodes
'In 1981, 17-year-old Kurt Sova disappeared after going to a Halloween party in Newburgh Heights, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland. Several days later, his body was found in a ravine just 500 yards away from the party house. But was the teen's death a murder, a cover-up, or an accident? In this episode of the @Cleveland19News true crime podcast, Dark Side of the Land, investigator Sara Goldenberg revisits the recently reopened case with Kurt's brother and police, who continue to search for answers'.

Jul 14, 2023
If you have any information on what happened to Kurt Sova, you can call or text the Newburgh Heights Police Department at (216) 386-0024 or email sovatips@newburgh-oh.govYou can also submit an anonymous tip to the Ohio Attorney General tip line: 855-BCI-OHIO (855-224-6446).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back