• Missing Since 09/01/1986
  • Missing From Davie, Florida
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth01/21/1947 (74)
  • Age39 years old
  • Height and Weight6'4, 200 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description An Arrow polo shirt, blue jeans, brown work boots, and a wedding ring with four diamonds.
  • Medical Conditions Gratteau is a diabetic. He takes insulin by injection, and last had it the morning of his disappearance. He does not have his insulin with him and could go into diabetic shock without it.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Gratteau wears wire-rimmed eyeglasses. He has a tattoo on his right arm of a heart pierced with an arrow and the his wife's name, Rejane.
Details of Disappearance
Gratteau's wife and stepdaughter last saw him at 7:30 a.m. on September 1, 1986 in their apartment in the 6600 block of southwest 41st Street in Davie, Florida. He was employed as an air conditioning repairman at the time, and left the apartment to go out on a job in the Honey Lakes subdivision of Davie. He was supposed to return an hour later to go sailing off Fort Lauderdale Beach with his wife.

Gratteau never arrived at his repair job and never returned home. He has never been heard from again and none of his accounts have been touched since his disappearance. His vehicle, a white 1985 Toyota pickup truck with novelty Florida license plates reading HOWARD2, is also missing. The truck has a white camper top and a B&H Air Conditioning logo on the sides. Howard Vaughn Gratteau – The Charley Project
DAVIE MAN MISSING WORKER LEFT FOR JOB, NEVER RETURNED HOME
RENEE KRAUSE, Staff WriterSUN-SENTINEL

DAVIE -- The Hobie Cat still waits in the next-door neighbor's parking space. The insulin is in the refrigerator.
But Howard Gratteau, a 39-year-old diabetic, is nowhere to be found.
He has been missing since Labor Day morning, when he failed to show up at a job site.
Rejane Gratteau said she gave her husband his morning dose of insulin at 7:30 a.m. Monday before he left to do an air-conditioning job at a construction site near State Road 84 and Southwest 136th Avenue.
He never made it.
"He was joking about it," Rejane Gratteau said Wednesday. "He said, 'It's only a five-minute job. Go back to sleep and I'll be right back."'
At the latest, Howard Gratteau was supposed to return at 11 a.m. because he and his wife had planned to go to the beach to ride their Hobie Cat, she said.
The person he was supposed to meet at the job site called Gratteau's B&H; Air Conditioning firm on Tuesday and complained. That was the first time she found out that her husband had not even made it to the job.
"He wasn't the type to just disappear," she said from her home in the 6600 block of Southwest 41st Street. "If he'd be an hour late, he'd call."
Neither police nor hospitals have seen Howard Gratteau or his white Toyota truck with B&H; Air Conditioning printed on it.
Rejane Gratteau, her daughter, Suzanne Brioux, and friends and family have been combing the streets of south Broward County since Monday afternoon.
"How many times can you drive the same roads?" Rejane Gratteau wondered aloud, after hearing some friends were still out driving Wednesday afternoon.
James Burris, the missing man's best friend, said, "I stayed off work (Tuesday) and looked for him along the canals. What I'm feeling now is he drove somewhere, someplace I'm not looking."
Rejane Gratteau said her husband is 6 feet 4 inches tall, has light brown hair, blue eyes and weighs 195 pounds. He was wearing jeans and work boots the last time she saw him, she said. She did not remember what shirt he was wearing.
Rejane Gratteau said she did not know how long he could survive without his insulin shots. If he hasn't been found by this morning, he will have missed six shots, she said.
She said the bracelet her husband usually wore with information about his diabetic condition broke a few days before he disappeared.
Davie Police Officer Marge Jozwiak said police unsuccessfully searched for Gratteau on Monday. Information about him was entered into the national missing persons computer, and all other agencies in South Florida were asked to be on the lookout for him, she said.
"There's really nowhere else to go with it right now," Jozwiak said.
That leaves Howard Gratteau's family, friends and police to continue the search.
"The longer we wait, the worse it gets," Burris said.
Gratteau's wife stated he was behaving normally when he left their home, except he left his watch behind, and he normally always wore it. She said she believed her husband may have gone into insulin shock and had a car accident as a result. His case remains unsolved.
DAVIE MAN MISSING WORKER LEFT FOR JOB, NEVER RETURNED HOME

He undoubtedly took State Road 84 which runs along the New River canal. I-595 was under construction and still years away from opening. It was early on a holiday (Labor day) so it is likely that there were not many people out on the roads. It seems likely to me that he went into the canal and no one saw it take place. He may have been experiencing hypoglycemia which can lead to unconsciousness. There was a follow up article to the one sourced above that said that aerial searches of the canals were conducted by police helicopter. I looked for it but was unable to find it to link here. Suffice it to say he and his vehicle are in a body of water. It would probably take a boat going up and down the canals with sonar equipment to have a chance at finding them.

He undoubtedly took State Road 84 which runs along the New River canal. I-595 was under construction and still years away from opening. It was early on a holiday (Labor day) so it is likely that there were not many people out on the roads. It seems likely to me that he went into the canal and no one saw it take place. He may have been experiencing hypoglycemia which can lead to unconsciousness. There was a follow up article to the one sourced above that said that aerial searches of the canals were conducted by police helicopter. I looked for it but was unable to find it to link here. Suffice it to say he and his vehicle are in a body of water. It would probably take a boat going up and down the canals with sonar equipment to have a chance at finding them.
Hi do you know anything about this case? We can do the sonar work needed. Let me know if you have additional information.

Thanks

That’s not where the job site was. It was on 136th
Can you provide a map to where you think he would have traveled? When I was trying to map it back in May, my goal was to trace the path from his home at 6600 Southwest 41st Street to the Honey Lakes Subdivision. That is where the article mentioned he was headed for to do the brief bit of work prior to returning home.

Back in 1986, the highways wouldn't have been as big and typically Florida has multiple names for one street, particularly when they enlarge them and make thoroughfares.

Hi do you know anything about this case? We can do the sonar work needed. Let me know if you have additional information.

Thanks
No, unfortunately nothing more than what I've read here and a couple of other places. I did grow up in South Florida although not in the area that Mr. Gratteau and his work truck vanished. In the early to mid '90's I was in that area a lot. Quite different today but of course bodies of water would be in the same places they were back then. Apparently, according to news articles cited up thread, helicopters were deployed to search canals etc to no avail. In my humblest of opinions, sonar will be the key to finding this gentleman.
The case is extremely personal to me as I am a Type 1 diabetic and coincidentally was diagnosed only 2 months before this man disappeared. T1D regulation has come a long long way since those days. I am convinced this poor guy suffered a hypoglycemic reaction and drove into a body of water.

Can you provide a map to where you think he would have traveled? When I was trying to map it back in May, my goal was to trace the path from his home at 6600 Southwest 41st Street to the Honey Lakes Subdivision. That is where the article mentioned he was headed for to do the brief bit of work prior to returning home.

Back in 1986, the highways wouldn't have been as big and typically Florida has multiple names for one street, particularly when they enlarge them and make thoroughfares.
I previously lived in the area (slight familiarity), but it was after many of the newer roads were built so I don’t think it helps.

I mapped using the areas mentioned in the article and avoided 595. It looks like the next available route would be along Griffin.

As you can see from the map, Griffin has a canal running the length of the road. A little information about the canal
WATERS OF LIFE

For the rest of the ponds in the area, it is going to be very hard to tell what was man made with the surrounding development and what was there at the time without a historical aerial photo to compare.

Edit: I found the canal (should have looked before posting).

The 15.7 miles long canal is one of the most shoreline-accessible waterways in south Florida which ranges from 50 to 120 feet in width. The South New River Canal is, on average, six feet deep except for the stretch near 148th avenue which is 12 feet deep.
https://guidesly.com/fishing/waterbodies/South-New-River-Canal-Florida

Attachments

• 89622B69-87DE-4F2C-B62B-4749D435143C.jpeg
    89622B69-87DE-4F2C-B62B-4749D435143C.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 4ED63D49-23CB-45D7-9E4F-27542204C56D.jpeg
    4ED63D49-23CB-45D7-9E4F-27542204C56D.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Thanks
I was able to pull up Google Earth on the laptop and trace the route looking at the roads available in 1984 and 1995. If he took Davie Rd north to 84, there is a large pond on the east side of Davie just before 84. Additionally, it appears that there were no barriers where Davie T's into 84. If he was going to the subdivision on the west side of 136th and north of 84, there were two medium sized ponds, but the entire subdivision was leveled in the mid-90s.
Screenshot 2022-08-01 203437.png Screenshot 2022-08-01 203437-2.png

Just want to bump this case up a notch.
I am convinced this man ended up in a body of water and is still there in his work truck and it breaks my heart.
@Providence17 since it is well documented where he left from and to where he was headed, could a search be conducted? Do you guys have to pull permits from counties/municipalities to start searching?
I think this gentleman is findable and would love to see that happen.

As mentioned above in post #8, "The South New River Canal is, on average, six feet deep except for the stretch near 148th avenue which is 12 feet deep."

The 12' deep area needs sonar. A work truck going into a canal would likely be seen during droughts, (winters here in FL) if it were in the 6' deep areas. But the 12' deep area, even during a drought, it would not likely be exposed. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back