Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
For some reason this brought to memory a punch we always had at baby and wedding showers when I was very young, in my teens and 20’s. It was made with two ingredients…. pineapple or lime sherbert and either sprite or ginger ale soda. I loved that stuff! Now I’m thinking of getting some sherbert and mixing with diet sprite, lol. I don’t eat much sugar anymore, but at least the sherbet is low in fat.
This is making me want a daquiri :) There is still nothing like an ice cold soda in a glass. That's one of my favorites.

The fish and chip place nearby does the best chocolate milkshake! It's old fashioned style and with some chips and battered fish... Okay, that's what I'm doing this weekend.

Another important recall

Boarshead deli meat and cheese is very popular in the area where I live.

We've had a few recalls in the UK recently, mainly around an outbreak of E Coli linked to salad vegetables.

Prior to this I read some detailed reports a year or two ago about a previous outbreak that, after some lengthy investigation work, was also linked to vegetables - in that case it was believed to be related to soil on things like leeks and potatoes.

Since reading that I have always been meticulous about cleaning the dirt out of these kind of veggies. Leeks in particular as they often have a lot of dirt between all the layers, but I have yet to see a TV chef who cleans them out like I do now. I do the same with celery and lettuce.

Last edited:
Snooping around the supermarket this morning I was pleasantly surprised to find chicory (Belgian endive) and scooped them up.

We have friends coming for lunch tomorrow. I will make my mother's favourite Chicons au Gratin, very typical Dutch/Belgian dish.

You can make it in stages and heat it up in the oven before serving.

Boil potatoes for mashed potatoes.

Make cheese sauce with strong flavoured cheese, I can get parmesano or cheddar.

I steam the chicory, either whole or sliced lengthways.

Hard boil a few eggs.

Chop some thinly sliced ham.

Steam the chicory briefly so that it is still a bit crunchy.

Fry or grill the chicory with chopped onions. Its nice if the onions are very golden before you add the chicory.

In an oven dish, place first a layer of the cchicon and onion, scatter ham on top then mashed potato and finally the cheese sauce and heat in oven until the cheese begins to brown.

Slice eggs in half and place yolk side up and heat for a minute more.

Lots of black pepper!

Snooping around the supermarket this morning I was pleasantly surprised to find chicory (Belgian endive) and scooped them up.

We have friends coming for lunch tomorrow. I will make my mother's favourite Chicons au Gratin, very typical Dutch/Belgian dish.

You can make it in stages and heat it up in the oven before serving.

Boil potatoes for mashed potatoes.

Make cheese sauce with strong flavoured cheese, I can get parmesano or cheddar.

I steam the chicory, either whole or sliced lengthways.

Hard boil a few eggs.

Chop some thinly sliced ham.

Steam the chicory briefly so that it is still a bit crunchy.

Fry or grill the chicory with chopped onions. Its nice if the onions are very golden before you add the chicory.

In an oven dish, place first a layer of the cchicon and onion, scatter ham on top then mashed potato and finally the cheese sauce and heat in oven until the cheese begins to brown.

Slice eggs in half and place yolk side up and heat for a minute more.

Lots of black pepper!

I used to work for a company that had offices in Belgium that I often had to visit, and I remember chicory was almost always on the menu in the canteen as an accompaniment - they used to bake it in the oven with brown sugar on it.

We've had a few recalls in the UK recently, mainly around an outbreak of E Coli linked to salad vegetables.

Prior to this I read some detailed reports a year or two ago about a previous outbreak that, after some lengthy investigation work, was also linked to vegetables - in that case it was believed to be related to soil on things like leeks and potatoes.

Since reading that I have always been meticulous about cleaning the dirt out of these kind of veggies. Leeks in particular as they often have a lot of dirt between all the layers, but I have yet to see a TV chef who cleans them out like I do now. I do the same with celery and lettuce.
Agree, I soak and wash everything. Downside with organic foods is that you can end up with a host of unwanted pets. I once found an extremely friendly frog in some spinach someone gave me from their vegetable garden. I found a home for him!

But its the pesticides we have to be aware of, more than the dirt.

Also very traditional is a salad made with raw chicory , beetroot and apple. With a cider or apple vinaigrette.

Sorry to be so excited by my find today! Have never found parsnips here, nor rhubarb, both of which I love. We have many different climates, so all should be possible. I can get asparagus all year round as well as artichokes.

Am supposing it is down to consumer demand and still the average lunch here is a big piece of meat, potatoes, rice and a tiny portion of salad

Also very traditional is a salad made with raw chicory , beetroot and apple. With a cider or apple vinaigrette.

Sorry to be so excited by my find today! Have never found parsnips here, nor rhubarb, both of which I love. We have many different climates, so all should be possible. I can get asparagus all year round as well as artichokes.

Am supposing it is down to consumer demand and still the average lunch here is a big piece of meat, potatoes, rice and a tiny portion of salad
Parsnips and rhubarb are two foods that I have deep and fond childhood memories of. My gran used to grow rhubarb in the yard and I always had some raw while we were making jam.

Endive is also great with dips and spreads but you have to get the small ones or it's a little bitter.

Parsnips and rhubarb are two foods that I have deep and fond childhood memories of. My gran used to grow rhubarb in the yard and I always had some raw while we were making jam.

Endive is also great with dips and spreads but you have to get the small ones or it's a little bitter.

Love parsnips roasted in the oven coated in a little bit of soy sauce. We used to add honey as well but decided they are sweet enough without.

But its the pesticides we have to be aware of, more than the dirt.

Indeed. I remember reading a UK magazine article on it many years ago that listed "persistent offenders" (things that might be worth putting on your organic shopping list) and I seem to recall reading that grapes in particular were consistently found to be over the maximum recommended limits, and that residues were also found in things like fresh salmon and bran.

ETA: interestingly a more recent article says "In 2021 HSE found no residues above the MRL in samples of grapes or potatoes." - think I need to update my knowledge on this.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...e_residues_in_food_annual_report_for_2021.pdf

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay