VT VT - Matthew Houskeeper, 59, last seen getting a haircut, car missing, phone inactive, missed work, Manchester, 14 Aug 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sherman reservoir
Skill Level: Class 1 - Flat water
(Note: the photo of the ramp at this link is where Matthew s car was found)

The website suggests the route to take and indicates where the dangers are

“ First launch your boat and turn north along the west shore. Shallows and weeds are encountered at mile 0.5. Continue north following the shore and Tunnel Street as it narrows. At about mile 1.6 the reservoir becomes a river with large rocks and a cold current. Eventually it becomes impassable especially in the autumn when only a minimum flow is present.
Turn south and follow the west side of the river eventually, at mile 2.1, you will come to a cove. Read and observe the sign! This is where the discharge from power generation enters from Harriman Reservoir. Warnings are given by a horn and flashing light just before discharge. The water can rise quickly and create a strong current.
Just before mile 3.0 a small cove with a stream enters on this east coast. From here to Sherman Dam, you will encounter a dense forest and steep hillside.
At mile 4.5 is a warning turn west across the reservoir where a warning sign instructs not to approach any closer. The east shore has a fenced in area with 16 nuclear spent fuel containers (see below).
As you approach the west side, views of the spillway are possible. Turn north on your journey. At mile 5.2 is a small cove and at mile 5.4 a small rock island before returning back to the launch area.”

River flows can vary throughout the day below Great River Hydro’s dams

I can't see him attempting to kayak on the river vs the reservoir mainly because wouldn't he then need someone to pick him up downstream and take him to retrieve his vehicle? Maybe someone more familiar with kayaking and the like can answer that?
He could have headed upstream for the beginning of his trip. That would be typical for a paddle…your exertion is expended in the first part of the journey: then you gently float downstream for the second half when you are tuckered. But this would be a round trip paddle. Like an in and out hike. No need for help with transportation.

This is the photo of the kayak the family posted on his FB account
Here's a photo of Matt's actual kayak (date unknown, but not the day he disappeared). I share because it shows he (MH) used the kayak to fish as well. It's not been reported if MH was fishing the day he disappeared, but it does open up other possibilities on something that could have gone wrong if he was.

Attachments

• 455952038_10211658532134289_7784987335068315230_n.jpg
    455952038_10211658532134289_7784987335068315230_n.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 25
He could have headed upstream for the beginning of his trip. That would be typical for a paddle…your exertion is expended in the first part of the journey: then you gently float downstream for the second half when you are tuckered. But this would be a round trip paddle. Like an in and out hike. No need for help with transportation.
That is a really good suggestion. I hadn't considered it from that angle and that makes a lot of sense. Thank you for answering.

Just the same info on local press...
One statement added, which makes some sense since they have not found a floating kayak so far :
If anyone has any information about Matthew Houskeepers missing kayak or may have found it abandoned, please notify the police immediately.

Attachments

• 1724428704096.png
    1724428704096.png
    356.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 1724428888062.png
    1724428888062.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 8
Just the same info on local press...
One statement added, which makes some sense since they have not found a floating kayak so far :
If anyone has any information about Matthew Houskeepers missing kayak or may have found it abandoned, please notify the police immediately.
I’m also surprised he’s not been found yet. If someone has found it and taken it hopefully they’re local and will see posters or something.

Summary of Matthew Housekeeper's (MH) missing person's case

Wed. 8/14 MH has 9AM haircut at Camille's Hair Salon Manchester VT. Last confirmed sighting.
Thurs. 8/15 MH failed to report to work 10AM at Kevin's Sports Pub N. Bennington VT. MH is reported missing shortly thereafter to Bennington VT police.
Thurs. 8/15 Two fisherman find an abandoned kayak at Sherman Reservoir. They keep it.
Fri. 8/16 MH's abandoned 2023 Subaru found parked at Sherman Reservoir. A kayak believed to have been with the car is missing. Extensive search of area begins.
Sat. 8/17-Search & Rescue efforts continue into following week with MH still missing
Fri. 8/23 - Fisherman report to police they had found a kayak on 8/15 resembling one owned by MH and kept it, assuming it had been abandoned.

Please add and/or correct any details to this summary if needed.

Wondering out loud, would that actually be normal to find an abandoned kayak? I feel like if I found one, I would automatically assume someone would be around or back for it. And all these days, the same fisherman misses all the news about searches? Idk, maybe I'm trying to make something out of nothing. I sure hope so. It doesnt sound good for Matthew either way and I wish his loved ones lots of comfort tonight and as they continue searching with probably less hope. Heartbreaking.

Wondering out loud, would that actually be normal to find an abandoned kayak? I feel like if I found one, I would automatically assume someone would be around or back for it. And all these days, the same fisherman misses all the news about searches? Idk, maybe I'm trying to make something out of nothing. I sure hope so. It doesnt sound good for Matthew either way and I wish his loved ones lots of comfort tonight and as they continue searching with probably less hope. Heartbreaking.
seems weird

I have seen boats left in some places (shore) that might be considered "safe" but that did not mean that they were free for the taking!

Did Matthew not wear a life preserver on his kayak? Was the kayak floating around?

Kayak found !!!

Missing Bennington man’s kayak found during search​

Vermont State Police say two fishermen have found a kayak believed to belong to Matthew Housekeeper, the 59-year-old Bennington man who’s been missing for 9 days.

Police say the fisherman found the kayak in the Sherman Reservoir on Thursday, August 15th, the day housekeeper was reported missing.

They turned it over to the police today when they realized it was Housekeeper’s.

Vehicle, kayak located, but Bennington man remains missing after more than a week​

On the afternoon of August 23rd, the Vermont State Police were notified that two fishermen had located a kayak that was believed to belong to Matthew Housekeeper, 59, of Bennington who was reported missing on August 14.

State police learned that thefishermen found the kayak on the Sherman Reservoir on Thursday, August 15, and removed the kayak from the water believing that it was abandoned property.Once they learned that the kayak was connected to Housekeeper, they provided it to law enforcement.

Crews will continue a limited search of the reservoir in the coming days as the investigation continues

Does not look good at all, and opens up other possibilities

Edit to add
What I mean is that you would not consider a lonely kayak in a lake as an abandoned property, but rather a casualty. So it must have been abandones on shore. But where ??? Where the car was? On the other side of the lake?? And depending on where the fishermen found it abandoned, this opens up other possibilities. They found it on the 15th, so many days were unfortunately lost. A pity they did not alert LE right away.
This also shows how important media are to inform the general public.

Last edited:
What I mean is that you would not consider a lonely kayak in a lake as an abandoned property, but rather a casualty.
Exactly. And especially if you also noticed an unattended car with a kayak rack sitting in the parking lot. Ugh. What a terrible shame they took it from the water rather than report it or even just leave it there.

No doubt these fishermen feel awful now, so not trying to cast shade, but this whole week would have gone differently if they had made a better decision.

Does not look good at all, and opens up other possibilities

Edit to add
What I mean is that you would not consider a lonely kayak in a lake as an abandoned property, but rather a casualty. So it must have been abandones on shore. But where ??? Where the car was? On the other side of the lake?? And depending on where the fishermen found it abandoned, this opens up other possibilities. They found it on the 15th, so many days were unfortunately lost. A pity they did not alert LE right away.
This also shows how important media are to inform the general public.
You are thinking the same way I am. Though I would not consider finding a kayak on the shore abandoned either I would assume someone got out on shore and would be back. I'm curious what condition the kayak was in also. I guess I feel if it was damaged, I can maybe see someone thinking it was abandoned. But the one article says it was found on the reservoir and the fisherman removed it from the water. I could be wrong but I took that to mean it was just floating around in the reservoir rather than washed ashore. This sure has me rethinking the concept of "finders keepers". I so wish the kayak had been left and reported when it was found. Maybe that would have helped them find Matthew easier with information on current patterns etc. eta: I should have read Parsnips last post before posting.

You are thinking the same way I am. Though I would not consider finding a kayak on the shore abandoned either I would assume someone got out on shore and would be back. I'm curious what condition the kayak was in also. I guess I feel if it was damaged, I can maybe see someone thinking it was abandoned. But the one article says it was found on the reservoir and the fisherman removed it from the water. I could be wrong but I took that to mean it was just floating around in the reservoir rather than washed ashore. This sure has me rethinking the concept of "finders keepers". I so wish the kayak had been left and reported when it was found. Maybe that would have helped them find Matthew easier with information on current patterns etc. eta: I should have read Parsnips last post before posting.
I am not sure my first thought when randomly finding a kayak would be something dangerous happened. My first thought might be it become unmoored from a dock, tbh, and it floated away.

Once the "finders" realized it was part of a missing-person situation, they reported it.

Do we know what time of day the finders found it?

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back