Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #195

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You do recall the crazy presser where the new sketch was revealed, but everyone was told not to disregard the first sketch? Not exactly a stellar team. moo I'll wait for the trial to form an opinion on RA's guilt or innocence. But just bc no one else has been charged, imoo, doesn't convince me in any way of RA's guilt. amoo
Imo they released the second sketch because the first sketch had been public for two years and they still didn't have the perp. That is just my guess.

There are similarities in the two sketches but also dissimilarities. For instance, BG in BB's sketch has a long chin. BG in the video and the man in SC's sketch has a small chin with a frown like RA. Yet both ladies say BG from the video is the man they believe they saw that day.

No wonder the FBI did not want LE to do that presser. They did it anyway. I hope we hear more about why LE thought that necessary.

Doug Carter says he can't wait to tell the story as to why they did what they did. Can't wait to hear it.

Last edited:
I just want to retract something I posted back in the other thread. I mentioned that RA told an inmate that he molested the girls and that he shot them.

According to Harshmen's (sp?) Testimony he says that he did not hear RA state this but believes this was said TO RA.

So did the Defense just lie about this?

Edited to clarify...
When Det.H stated he believes this was stated to RA maybe he means the inmate asked RA if he molested the girls and if he shot them. I am not sure. It wasn't really clear what Det.H meant by that.

Last edited:
Serious question, does the fact that we know for certain that at least one of those confessions was that he shot both girls give you any pause about his guilt?
Just chipping in, not OP, so just ignore if you want.

Franklin Delano Floyd told at least half a dozen different versions of how he killed six year old Michael Hughes. All horrific. All sadistic and cruel. He also told people the boy was alive and being kept and raised by others and refused to disclose his location.

Michael's body has never been found, but I have no uncertainty that Floyd killed him.

Tl;dr, a person giving multiple conflicting versions of how they killed someone or even if they killed someone isn't necessarily proof of mental illness or that they weren't involved. Sometimes, it's just that the person likes playing games and shocking or disgusting the listener. They alone know the truth. It's about sadism and control.

MOO

Serious question, does the fact that we know for certain that at least one of those confessions was that he shot both girls give you any pause about his guilt?
I believe those confessions were made with intentional discrepancies (maybe advised to do so?) to take away from the credibility of the original ones made to his wife and mother.

JMO

Not OP but no we don't know for certain since Indiana State Police Detective Brian Harshman (<--- sorry misspelled his last name in my earlier post) testified that he never heard RA himself make those statements about molesting or shooting them. He testified that he believes that is what was told to him. I don't actually know if (him) means himself (Harshman) or if he is talking about RA.

Edited to delete a duplicate word.

I think "Locard's exchange principle" is facinating.
From Wikipedia it is explained that "the perpetrator of a crime will bring something into the crime scene and leave with something from it, and that both can be used as forensic evidence."

"Wherever he steps, whatever he touches, whatever he leaves,
even unconsciously, will serve as silent evidence against him.
Not only his fingerprints or his footprints, but his hair, the fibers from his clothes, the glass he breaks, the tool mark he leaves, the paint
he scratches, the blood or semen he deposits or collects - all these and more bear mute witness against him.
This is evidence that does not forget. It is not confused by the excitement of the moment. It is not absent because human witnesses are. It is factual evidence. Physical evidence cannot be wrong; it cannot perjure itself; it cannot be wholly absent. Only its interpretation can err. Only human failure to find it, study and understand it, can diminish its value."
- Paul Kirk

Tick Tock Richard Allen

Justice for Liberty and Abigail

I also believe he is guilty. He found God and wanted to cleanse his soul by confessing to his family and only after their rejection did he revert. It makes perfect sense that after the monstrous act he committed, he was worried about such things with his family. It seems like his daughter has already deserted him and who can blame her, so he is literally down to his mother and wife for support.

ETA- I also see him in BG video from weight and the short stumpy legs where his leg pant doesn’t fit so it hangs.

IMO

I also believe he is guilty. He found God and wanted to cleanse his soul by confessing to his family and only after their rejection did he revert. It makes perfect sense that after the monstrous act he committed, he was worried about such things with his family. It seems like his daughter has already deserted him and who can blame her, so he is literally down to his mother and wife for support.

ETA- I also see him in BG video from weight and the short stumpy legs where his leg pant doesn’t fit so it hangs.

IMO
After his wife and mother told him not to talk about it (his confessions) and started withdrawing is when he seems to have changed course. He stated that he chose his family over God. I'd rethink that if I were him. An eternity is a long time.

IMO
Forgot to mention, before he stated what he did about choosing his family over God, he first said he wanted to be with his family in heaven because he may not ever be with them again on this earth. That is telling imo. Only when they rejected his confessions is when he changed course.

I just want to retract something I posted back in the other thread. I mentioned that RA told an inmate that he molested the girls and that he shot them.

According to Harshmen's (sp?) Testimony he says that he did not hear RA state this but believes this was said TO RA.

So did the Defense just lie about this?

Edited to clarify...
When Det.H stated he believes this was stated to RA maybe he means the inmate asked RA if he molested the girls and if he shot them. I am not sure. It wasn't really clear what Det.H meant by that.
MS Three Day Hearings coverage stated that when asked about this "RA stating he had SAd the girls and shot them", Harshmen testified that RA did not state that in a confession but that those were words spoken by another inmate.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
It should be noted that prisoners held under solitary confinement are not granted privileges including visitors, recreation time or phonecalls. Just because RA was not thrown amongst the general population for his own protection does not mean he was held in solitary confinement, to the normal definition of the term.

The Judge has already ruled he wasn’t treated harshly so what can be accomplished by rehashing something that’s already ruled upon?

“Indiana State Police Detective Brian Harshman testified that he has reviewed 650-670 of Allen’s phone calls during his incarceration covering more than 150 hours.”

That eventually led to a July 19, 2023, hearing in which Special Judge Fran Gull ruled that Allen had been “treated more favorably” than others being held at Westville. She believed he should remain there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe in order to make a fair comparison it should be noted that prisoners held under solitary confinement are not granted privileges including visitors, recreation time or phonecalls. Just because RA was not thrown amongst the general population for his own protection does not mean he was held in solitary confinement, to the normal definition of the term.

The Judge has already ruled he wasn’t treated harshly so what can be accomplished by rehashing something that’s already ruled upon?

“Indiana State Police Detective Brian Harshman testified that he has reviewed 650-670 of Allen’s phone calls during his incarceration covering more than 150 hours.”

That eventually led to a July 19, 2023, hearing in which Special Judge Fran Gull ruled that Allen had been “treated more favorably” than others being held at Westville. She believed he should remain there.

I think it's OK to express disagreement with a judge's ruling based on the information that has come out. JMO MOO

It means nothing to me that he was "treated better than others at Westville." "Others at Westville" are already convicted felons. RA is not and should never have been there in the first place. IIRC, he wasn't even represented by an attorney when it happened (IMO MOO JMO).

For me personally, no matter how many "rulings" say this was acceptable, I will never believe it was. I expect to see this matter "in the courts" for many years, too.

MOO JMO

Sometimes I think about what it would be like to be locked up in my bathroom for the next 2 years. No place to sit except on a hard toilet, a prison mattress or the cold floor. Having someone watch me 24 hours a day. The noise I couldn't block out.

I would not do well, at all.

Right. I think I could be alone for that long. As long as it was comfortable and quiet. RA's confinement, as a presumed innocent man, was anything but.

MOO IMO

I think it's OK to express disagreement with a judge's ruling based on the information that has come out. JMO MOO

It means nothing to me that he was "treated better than others at Westville." "Others at Westville" are already convicted felons. RA is not and should never have been there in the first place. IIRC, he wasn't even represented by an attorney when it happened (IMO MOO JMO).

For me personally, no matter how many "rulings" say this was acceptable, I will never believe it was. I expect to see this matter "in the courts" for many years, too.

MOO JMO

IMO only reason for hanging on to the horrors of solitary confinement is to excuse RA’s confessions.

But what if the confessions were true?

Even RA’s confessions prove he was not held under solitary confinement, which would ordinarily indicate a prisoner was isolated from others.

BBM
“The judge went on to say that all statements Allen reportedly made to fellow inmates and correctional officers were unsolicited and not part of any interrogation. Rather, evidence reportedly shows that Allen sought out people to make these statements to.

“The Court is not persuaded that the detention caused the defendant to make incriminating statements,” Gull wrote. “While the defendant does suffer from major depressive disorder and anxiety, those are not serious mental illnesses that prevent the defendant from making voluntary statements.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member