Found Deceased Canada - Johnson Redhead, 6, didn't arrive at class after school breakfast program, Shamattawa, Manitoba, 18 Sep 2024 *Active Search*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thinking on it, I wonder if the “lunchtime” buses was only for the preK and K kids who may be only on a “half day” kind of short schedule—to go home for the day?
Really don’t know. MOO
It is possible some students have shorter days, but in researching I learned that Canada does not have a school lunch program. It is one of the only Great Britian associated countries not to have a program, though since the pandemic, politicians are pushing for such a program. In some schools, teachers have a duty-free lunch hour and there are no adults at school to watch students, so they are bussed home for lunch. Or parents/guardians pay a monthly fee to pay for supervision over lunch. This being a tribal community on a Reserve, with shortages in staff, it may be that there aren't even adults who could staff if guardians wanted that to happen. Plus the poverty would likely make it difficult even if there were adults to pay.
Interestingly, school food programs across Canada are often funded by charities and local groups.
Edited to add source about Canadian food program Substitution (education) | Food Policy for Canada

Last edited:
The school goes from preschool to 12th grade. This could be his first or his third year at the school.
According to comments from guardians on the community FB page, they could not stop him from getting on the bus to go to school with the other kids in the house, which makes me think he either liked going to school, or the routine was one of his set routines (very hard to change routines with a child who has autism).
Or maybe he really liked the breakfast they serve! All schools should be funded to offer breakfast, lunch, and a snack before they leave to go home. For many kids, this is the only time they routinely get food to eat! As for $ to cover this, if there were special tax incentives for supplier to produce the goods, subsidies from large corporations (who would also get a tax break) and donations, lotto revenue....I bet they could pull it off. Feed those babies! Great use of funds.

Amateur opinion and speculation

This is actually good news, also because he could not have gone that far without shoes.
I just hope he is hiding, he is so small, and not taken by anyone
I think he went to a cabin or place to hide. He isn't going to respond (he is non verbal) to calling, and may hide instead of coming out. I am glad they have so many people looking, and hope they find him in time.

I think he went to a cabin or place to hide. He isn't going to respond (he is non verbal) to calling, and may hide instead of coming out. I am glad they have so many people looking, and hope they find him in time.
And, despite the remote location, we can't rule out a Perp waiting in the wings to pick a kid off. Unlikely, but on the list.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I think it’s important to understand that First Nations govern themselves primarily, and that money is received by the individual bands to spend as they see fit. The Bands decide where money is to be spent, when and how. So it appears that a Breakfast Program is in play but not necessarily a lunch program. I don’t know that for sure but I’m not sure how much that matters at this point.

It is difficult to lure education workers/medical personnel etc. to work under these conditions and most public sector institutions are woefully understaffed. Unfortunately this is the reality of these communities. Not saying that it’s right, but living in these communities is a tough go.

I would be surprised if the school had adequate staffing to care for children that require constant monitoring. This was probably a disaster waiting to happen as we know that he has wandered in the past.

This particular First Nation Reserve is very remote and a fly in community. The area is bush and covered in muskegs (swampy areas). There are rivers, wildlife, insects and so many harsh variables that are going to come into play here that finding this little guy is going to be extremely difficult, if even possible.

Shoes or no shoes, whether he gets far or not, he is in dire straits. IMO an abduction probably isn’t what has occurred. As with so many autistic children disappearances we follow, the outcomes are not great and in this particular case, the terrain and circumstances are not favourable to find this child.

So incredibly sad. I sincerely hope I’m wrong but my gut is not feeling hopeful.

MOO

It is possible some students have shorter days, but in researching I learned that Canada does not have a school lunch program. It is one of the only Great Britian associated countries not to have a program, though since the pandemic, politicians are pushing for such a program. In some schools, teachers have a duty-free lunch hour and there are no adults at school to watch students, so they are bussed home for lunch. Or parents/guardians pay a monthly fee to pay for supervision over lunch. This being a tribal community on a Reserve, with shortages in staff, it may be that there aren't even adults who could staff if guardians wanted that to happen. Plus the poverty would likely make it difficult even if there were adults to pay.
Interestingly, school food programs across Canada are often funded by charities and local groups.
Edited to add source about Canadian food program Substitution (education) | Food Policy for Canada
In that brochure for prospective teachers for the school, it states under “Other responsibilities” that “Teachers supervise the students during recesses, lunch breaks, and field trips.” (bolded by me)

He went to school on a bus with siblings. He had breakfast with other children, and I’m assuming his siblings were there as well having breakfast. Are there teachers or monitors keeping an eye on the children while they’re having their meal?

How does a 6 year old non verbal, autistic child, navigate from the “breakfast” area to his class? On his own? Does someone take him and if so where was that person?

He didn’t arrive in his class at 9:00 am and wasn’t reported missing until 12:30 pm.

He has run away previously per a post upthread and no one kept an eye on him?

Such a hugely vulnerable child. In that terrain, the river, the wildlife, the seclusion, it’s hard to see a good outcome.

Poor little guy.

MOO
Whether they had a lunch program or the kids were bussed home for lunch, he was missing before lunchtime. He seems to have left after breakfast.

jmo

Whether they had a lunch program or the kids were bussed home for lunch, he was missing before lunchtime. He seems to have left after breakfast.

jmo
Yes, we may have went off on a tangent a bit, but the point of discussing lunch was just that we think that was when it was officially noted he was missing. Maybe his siblings were going to get on the lunchtime bus and didn’t see him, or his home was finally called for his absence (phones were said to be down) only to be told he was supposed to be at school. JMO

“…getting into the woods. This is where we believe he is," said Manaigre, who spoke to CBC on Saturday afternoon after a ground search.

A helicopter search of the riverbanks was planned for later in the afternoon, he said.

…the search crews have "grown exponentially," said Manaigre, as more resources arrive in the fly-in community.

These cases involving autistic non verbal children seem to be happening more & more often (or maybe just being reported more frequently)

Unfortunately, they all seem to have the same outcome when a water source is nearby. Whilst I hope this case has a happier outcome all signs point to the water IMO.

I was watching this CBC News video, and at around 1:53 it shows at least 3 long rows of shelving with lots of little children’s shoes or boots on them, without explanation. I was wondering if the students remove their shoes when they come inside for class?

If so, maybe little Johnson removing his shoes is not quite as unusual since it is customary to do so at school (..but not outside)?

IMG_0465.jpeg

Last edited:
I was watching this CBC News video, and at around 1:53 it shows at least 3 long rows of shelving with lots of little children’s shoes or boots on them, without explanation. I was wondering if the students remove their shoes when they come inside for class?

If so, maybe little Johnson removing his shoes is not quite as unusual since it is customary to do so at school (..but not outside)?

View attachment 532900
Total guess but I'm thinking maybe all the children are required to keep a pair of sneakers at school for Phys. Ed. purposes. Otherwise can you imagine trying to get all the kids in one classroom to have remembered to wear/bring sneakers for gym class?

Hoping against hope this little guy found himself a safe hidey hole and gets found soon.

JMO

View attachment 532900
Good find! In my experiences, in rural communities where dirt/gravel roads/paths are common, and marshy, wet terrain, removing shoes upon entering the classroom is common. It also saves on custodial costs, with floors needing less frequent cleaning.

After working in a program for early elementary students with autism, I can totally see him walking off to the brush line, shedding his shoes as he walked. I worked with kids who only wore one particular pair of shoes, and if they had to wear a different pair (say their regular shoes were destroyed, or covered in mud, or in the washer), they would be taking the imposter shoes off all day. I worked with kids who refused to wear shoes at all, and kids who refused to take their shoes off for any reason. We worked with them all to gradually accept the wearing of or removal of shoes.

Good find! In my experiences, in rural communities where dirt/gravel roads/paths are common, and marshy, wet terrain, removing shoes upon entering the classroom is common. It also saves on custodial costs, with floors needing less frequent cleaning.

After working in a program for early elementary students with autism, I can totally see him walking off to the brush line, shedding his shoes as he walked. I worked with kids who only wore one particular pair of shoes, and if they had to wear a different pair (say their regular shoes were destroyed, or covered in mud, or in the washer), they would be taking the imposter shoes off all day. I worked with kids who refused to wear shoes at all, and kids who refused to take their shoes off for any reason. We worked with them all to gradually accept the wearing of or removal of shoes.
The shoes do look a bit dirty-looking to me, so removing them makes sense. Yet, I have never heard of the practice being done in any of the public schools in the US—that I’m aware of, anyway. (I know this case is in Canada, however)

I just didn’t know if it perhaps was a Cree or First Nations tradition. I know in Japan students change into indoor “uwabaki” shoes, so I thought it might also be a similar practice done here, as well. You never know. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Binx005
Back