2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I understand that, I do. But there are shelters like the article mentions. They open them up well in advance of the storm and oftentimes offer shuttle services for those who need it. Many people just don’t want to leave their homes behind, period. And that’s fine. But they also need to be told that the risk of staying put is that help won’t be coming.
That's true. I was stranded in Savannah Georgia during a hurricane. Hotels were closed, planes were grounded. Shuttle busses were available everywhere, with frequent pick-ups all day. We were taken to an arena. Everyone lined up to give their name, very organized, then assigned a bus that took them to Augusta. Many people that lined up appeared to be low income.

Organizers helped arrange a taxi to the airport.

...HURRICANE HELENE VERY CLOSE TO MAKING LANDFALL IN THE FLORIDA BIG BEND... ...ACCOMPANIED BY A CATASTROPHIC STORM SURGE AND LIFE-THREATENING WINDS...

11:00 PM EDT Thu Sep 26
Moving: NNE at 24 mph
Min pressure: 938 mb
Max sustained: 140 mph

...HURRICANE HELENE VERY CLOSE TO MAKING LANDFALL IN THE FLORIDA BIG BEND... ...ACCOMPANIED BY A CATASTROPHIC STORM SURGE AND LIFE-THREATENING WINDS...

11:00 PM EDT Thu Sep 26
...HELENE MAKES LANDFALL IN THE FLORIDA BIG BEND...

11:20 PM EDT Thu Sep 26

It's now a Cat 1. At this time, moving further east than the forecast
AL092024_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

The wind is VERY strong in Myrtle Beach right now but the temperature hasn’t dropped at all (which is a very strange feeling!) It’s still incredibly warm and humid. It’s the weirdest thing I’ve ever felt. It’s not raining at the moment, but the sky has that ominous pinkish yellow hue to it and the fast moving clouds are hovering in circles. My poor dog was too scared to go potty on our walk and I found a snake in the backyard when we got home! He’s just going to have to hold it for a while. The winds are much stronger than they were with the last few storms that hit us directly.

The wind is VERY strong in Myrtle Beach right now but the temperature hasn’t dropped at all (which is a very strange feeling!) It’s still incredibly warm and humid. It’s the weirdest thing I’ve ever felt. It’s not raining at the moment, but the sky has that ominous pinkish yellow hue to it and the fast moving clouds are hovering in circles. My poor dog was too scared to go potty on our walk and I found a snake in the backyard when we got home! He’s just going to have to hold it for a while. The winds are much stronger than they were with the last few storms that hit us directly.
I live 3-4 hours inland from you and it's been raining here nonstop for over 24 hours, but the wind isn't too bad. My dogs also refuse to pee until they can't hold it anymore. Our power has gone out 4 times this morning for about 30 seconds each time. Hopefully this is the worst of it here. My parents were in Cedar Key but evacuated on Thursday. They said the sheriff's department came around door to door on Thursday and said everyone had to be off the island by 4:00, not optional.

At morning light, it appears as if the trees exploded but nothing more serious. Time to go play Pickup Sticks yet again. Waiting to hear from my elderly uncle near Charlotte WV.

My friends west of Savanna GA had a huge tree ripped from its roots and topple over plus some flooding in the backyard. They have 3/4 of an acre. Their daughter is in Pinellas Park FL. Lots of flooded cars there.

Attachments

• IMG_6143.jpeg
    IMG_6143.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6139.jpeg
    IMG_6139.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6140.jpeg
    IMG_6140.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 30
At morning light, it appears as if the trees exploded but nothing more serious. Time to go play Pickup Sticks yet again. Waiting to hear from my elderly uncle near Charlotte WV.

My friends west of Savanna GA had a huge tree ripped from its roots and topple over plus some flooding in the backyard. They have 3/4 of an acre. Their daughter is in Pinellas Park FL. Lots of flooded cars there.
My brother and his family live in Statesboro, GA (not too far from Savannah). They lost power around 2 AM and trees have fallen in their neighborhood blocking them in. And the basketball goal fell on my sister-in-law’s car.

Glad to hear you are ok and thanks for the photos!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cl30092
Back