UK 100 year old skeleton of baby doe, Bishop Auckland, County Durham

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Luwin

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Investigators are attempting to track down the living relatives of a baby whose body was found under the floorboards of a flat above a pizza shop.

Contractors made the grim discovery while renovating a pair of flats in Bishop Auckland, County Durham at about 11.15am on July 28. The remains were taken to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle.

Another article says the remains may only be about 30 years old.
In any case, FGG would be worthwile doing.
But why did they hide it under the floorboards? You would assume it would be easier to just throw it away somewhere. On the other hand I could see a scared young girl or maid who hid her pregnancy from parents or employers do that because there is less of a chance being discovered.
Who lived in the house and especially the room where the baby was found?
I believe the newspaper is a good date estimate and 100 years are correct. When was the floor put in?

1723326623975.png
Police community support officers outside the building in Bishop Auckland on July 31
''In order to locate living relatives, Mr Sutherland attempted to create a digital image of what the child looked like. However this was not possible due to the skeleton's lack of developed facial features.

A forensic expert did manage to determine that the child was full-term at 40 weeks when it died by measuring the bones and development of its teeth.

Police officers are now readying themselves to trawl through records spanning the years 1900 and 1920 to find who was living in the house at the time of the baby's death.'

<modsnip>
But why did they hide it under the floorboards? You would assume it would be easier to just throw it away somewhere. On the other hand I could see a scared young girl or maid who hid her pregnancy from parents or employers do that because there is less of a chance being discovered.
RSBM
People threw a lot less away 100 years ago and/or they had different disposal methods like in the fireplace, so it might not have seemed that easy just to throw the body away. I agree with you on the possibility of a scared young girl or maid not wanting to be discovered.

otoh hiding even a small corpse under the floorboards would surely give rise to the fear of smell giving the hiding place away? Although that didn't seem to happen here.

Poor baby. Long since in heaven.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the newspaper is a good date estimate and 100 years are correct. When was the floor put in?
I would think it might be 30 years as opposed to 100 years---can't believe no one updated the flooring in over 100 years. It makes more sense that it hasn't been done in 30 years. IMO

You would presumably bury your baby in your house if you wanted the baby to stay close to you. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayc
Back