2009.10.09 Duct Tape Photos From Remains Released

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
RS&BBM, and thanks wenwe for the response...

I'm trying to see where the defense (keep trying to type "offense") is going...

What I am afraid of is that the defense will say that because the tape was held to the remains via the hair, there is no evidence that it was applied before decomposition set in enough to inhibit adhesiveness from tape to skin. In this scenario, the tape was applied after decomp set in/after KC likely last had contact with the corpse, and the hair was used to adhere the tape over the face... And KC didn't do it, and even if she did she didn't put the tape on...

Does any of that make sense?

I don't believe this, and I don't like typing it. But we cannot underestimate the depths to which the defense will sink as they grasp for a plausible straw... :furious:

I completely understand where you are going with this (you little devil's advocate - you), however I think the original positioning of the tape could potentially highlight a death mask if in the right lighting. Personally, I feel if the defense were to go with this theory, it would give them a very limited window of time, given decomp fluids, bloating, skin sloughing off, etc. What would be the purpose of applying the duct tape over her face after death (except maybe to contain the decomp fluids from leaking while transporting the body). Just my musings.

IIRC most of the discussion about the fibers on the duct tape were moved to that thread - so there may be more on the black wool fibers there (it's been awhile since all that hard work by WS'rs was done).

btw - see pg 16 on this thread for tape positioning theories

I completely understand where you are going with this (you little devil's advocate - you), however I think the original positioning of the tape could potentially highlight a death mask if in the right lighting. Personally, I feel if the defense were to go with this theory, it would give them a very limited window of time, given decomp fluids, bloating, skin sloughing off, etc. What would be the purpose of applying the duct tape over her face after death (except maybe to contain the decomp fluids from leaking while transporting the body). Just my musings.

IIRC most of the discussion about the fibers on the duct tape were moved to that thread - so there may be more on the black wool fibers there (it's been awhile since all that hard work by WS'rs was done).

btw - see pg 16 on this thread for tape positioning theories

Narf. Thank you for pointing me back to page 16. IMO it's quite clear what happened and I don't want anyone to think that my devil's advocacy means I doubt for a second that KC killed her daughter... But we are dealing with some wriggly worms who are going to call everything into question and I hope that there is a scientific response if/when they say "it was an accident, she panicked, and after some hours she put the duct tape on to try and stage a kidnapping"... or "she panicked, and some hours/days later someone else put the duct tape on to try and stage a kidnapping"...

HLN, right now, after the commercial, is going to cover the fact that JB is going to refute there was ever duct tape on Caylee's mouth? I gotta hear this.

Have any studies been done on what length of time after death, in high temperatures, the skin remains able to have tape adhere to it?

I googled and searched here to no avail (but found some good links to WSers' work both here and on other sites, go team).

Of course there was no tissue under the tape.

Maggots eat skin and soft tissue. They are so good at eating dead flesh that they are used for medical debridement. Flesh eating flies lay their eggs in moist body cavities (eyes, mouth et all) and in wounds. The areas close to where the maggots were hatched would have been eaten away first.

HLN Prime News caller: If KC is innocent, why does it matter if there was duct tape on Caylee's mouth????? That's what Kathi B. wanted to know yesterday.... and the defense just kept ignoring her. :banghead:

"Was duct used to kill Caylee Anthony?" is what the caption says for this HLN segment. Apparently, the defense is questioning whether duct tape had anything to do with how Caylee died saying the duct tape wasn't even around Caylee's mouth. Looks like, the Defense is going to attack the duct tape evidence every which way.

Casey dumped Caylee out in a swamp full of bugs. The bugs did what bugs do.

Anyone that has ever seen a dead animal knows has seen eggs or maggots in the dead animal's eyes and mouth. Those maggots are going to clean up every morsel of tissue close to the mouth. Maggot debridement is an approved & successful medical treatment for a reason.

I am not surprised that there was no tissue on a body left outside in a tropical swamp in the middle of the summer when bugs were flourishing.

OT: I really wish that stupid expression, "Dream Team" had never been started. Now Vinnie on HLN is calling their guest attorneys, "our Legal Dream Team". They don't even make sense! Geesh....

Casey dumped Caylee out in a swamp full of bugs. The bugs did what bugs do.

Anyone that has ever seen a dead animal knows has seen eggs or maggots in the dead animal's eyes and mouth. Those maggots are going to clean up every morsel close of tissue to them.

You might have to wait 31 days though.

I'm not sure how the defense is going to argue the duct tape, but that many pieces, put on tight enough to hold the mandible in place for that long, is no accident.

I'm not sure how the defense is going to argue the duct tape, but that many pieces, put on tight enough to hold the mandible in place for that long, is no accident.

Duct tape that stayed on that tight for months in the rain and elements. Surely, the State has pictures of how the tape was placed. Bring it on, Defense, yeah, let's talk about duct tape!

JVM on HLN talking about Dr. G Med Examiner - and the duct tape on Caylee's mouth. Is KC the last thing Caylee saw before her death? What is the significance of the duct tape if it wasn't put across Caylee's mouth"?"

Bill Manion - forensic medical examiner said only other reason to have duct tape on the face other than used as the weapon for murder would be to possibly cover facial orafices from purging fluids after decomp begins.

Levi Page on saying KC is "bratty and psychopathic"

JVM on HLN talking about Dr. G Med Examiner - and the duct tape on Caylee's mouth. Is KC the last thing Caylee saw before her death? What is the significance of the duct tape if it wasn't put across Caylee's mouth"?"

I am going to have to turn it off before I throw something. :angel:

To Janie Weintraub: The ME DID post her findings in re. manner of death - HOMICIDE! (This woman grates on my last nerve. :banghead: )

To the pathologist (or whoever the heck he is) that cannot fathom there was no forensic evidence of skin found on the duct tape and opining that the duct tape was placed post-mortem - Read the darn autopsy report.

Thank goodness Levi is on there to at least bring it back to a semblance of truth.

Please....If you're gonna be a talking head at least study the subject.

I like what the caller said earler before JVM come on, why is Baez and team worried about the duct tape if his client is innocent. LOL Best thing I have heard a caller say in a while.

You know it might have even been an article of clothing that belonged to Tony she had in the car, such as a sweater she borrowed to drive home in late one night, and returned it the day she met Tony to rent videos.

Did we ever look at the BlockBuster video and try to compare the clothes that Casey was wearing that day with the colors of the fibers found? (I can't remember, was the video in color or black and white?)

Did we ever look at the BlockBuster video and try to compare the clothes that Casey was wearing that day with the colors of the fibers found? (I can't remember, was the video in color or black and white?)

I remember it as black and white but I feel pretty "black and white" about this case so ....

It really doesn't matter if the defense can somehow, some way, discredit the duct tape being over Caylee's face or even on Caylee at any point. Fine, they have gotten past the duct tape and all the implications there of. So now they just have to work on the fact that KC never reported Caylee missing, partied hard and got a tattoo during those 31 days, lied through her teeth about everything, the decomp in the car and the fact that there is not so much as a trace of Zanny the Nanny. Oh yeah, and who had care and custody of Caylee when she disappeared?

Bring it on, defense. Let's see you wash away all these things while you are washing away the fact that the duct tape held the jaw in place through wind, rain, and scavenging animals.

The good men and women who have worked so hard on this case will have their day in court. LE, ME, prosecution and all the others who are this little girl's champions - they will prevail.

.If you were trying to make a person look like they were kidnapped how would you do it? The most popular scene in movies where that happens is to put tape over the mouth and to bound the victims hands. I know it was around the head and there were three pieces and all that but the purpose was the same. It just seems to me that that would be the only way to make it look like that is what happened. I dont believe it but I could see how ICA would come to that conclusion when planning how to stage a kidnapping. What other evidence could she leave to make it appear that the child was kidnapped.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova
Back