2010.07.01 Defense Releases Expert Witness List

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Petraco seems to specialize in tool marks and other items of interest:

http://web.jjay.cuny.edu/npetraco/mywebpage.html
Research Interests:
• Applications of Statistical Pattern Recognition Techniques to Physical Evidence in Forensic Science
o Analysis of shoe sole "accidental mark" patterns
o Toolmark striation and impression patterns
o Patterns in spectra of mixed and highly contaminated samples
http://www.biomedexperts.com/Profile.bme/1109827/Nicholas_D_K_Petraco
• Petraco Nicholas; Petraco Nicholas D K; Faber Lisa; Pizzola Peter A
Preparation of tool mark standards with jewelry modeling waxes.
• Petraco Nicholas D K; Gil Mark; Pizzola Peter A; Kubic T A
Statistical discrimination of liquid gasoline samples from casework.
• Petraco Nicholas; Kubic Thomas A; Petraco Nicholas D K
Case studies in forensic soil examinations.

That's interesting, WOFL lists him as a criminalist and hair banding expert. I wonder if the defense is trying to divert the media or if there is an error in the reporting?

I"ll go read your links now. Thank you.

Petraco seems to specialize in tool marks and other items of interest:

http://web.jjay.cuny.edu/npetraco/mywebpage.html
Research Interests:
• Applications of Statistical Pattern Recognition Techniques to Physical Evidence in Forensic Science
o Analysis of shoe sole "accidental mark" patterns
o Toolmark striation and impression patterns
o Patterns in spectra of mixed and highly contaminated samples
http://www.biomedexperts.com/Profile.bme/1109827/Nicholas_D_K_Petraco
• Petraco Nicholas; Petraco Nicholas D K; Faber Lisa; Pizzola Peter A
Preparation of tool mark standards with jewelry modeling waxes.
• Petraco Nicholas D K; Gil Mark; Pizzola Peter A; Kubic T A
Statistical discrimination of liquid gasoline samples from casework.
• Petraco Nicholas; Kubic Thomas A; Petraco Nicholas D K
Case studies in forensic soil examinations.

Here are some cases he was testified in:

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/2006/03/17/2006-03-17_forensic_whiz_is__on_imette_.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...ke_hole_in_sodomy_accusers_skivvies__pro.html

Something is strange here, these "experts" were not listed on the witness list :confused: :

Dr. Thelma Eikelenboom
Dr. Richard Eikelenboom
Nicholas Petraco

I think the next status hearing will be interesting...... if the witness list was amended, how was it filed? It should be posted with the clerk. If it wasn't filed and the defense switched at the last minute could they be sanctioned? I wonder what the JAC will say about the International flight expenses.

Is it possible that these witnesses were already paid out of the money KC received for the picture?. The remainder of the monies were supposed to have been spent on investigators and experts. jmo

I asked Kathi B about the evidence inspection and Oak Ridge Lab personnel depositions - I asked who was there and if the depositions were canceled.

Kathi replied: "The Oak Ridge depos were moved then canceled.
Prosecutors Linda B and Jeff A are with the Defense, as well as Detective Yuri Melich."

Is it possible that these witnesses were already paid out of the money KC received for the picture?. The remainder of the monies were supposed to have been spent on investigators and experts. jmo

I would think that the defense still has to list them as a witnesses though. :waitasec:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en...inmate-wftv-reports.html?wpmp_switcher=mobile

excerpt:
WFTV also reported that the Anthony defense team canceled depositions today with three Orange County sheriff’s investigators and hadn’t given a reason for the cancellation.

July 16, 2010

Gerardo Bloise, OCSO
Michael Vincent - OCSO
Jennifer Welch - OCSO

OK, these were some of LE who collected some of forensic evidence .... which logically, again let's not forget JB isn't logical, the defense would want and need to drill on their methods of collection and tagging the evidence.

Guess JB believed Henry when he said "car still stinky, beg for mercy ... give me plane ticket, I'm out here."

OK, these were some of LE who collected some of forensic evidence .... which logically, again let's not forget JB isn't logical, the defense would want and need to drill on their methods of collection and tagging the evidence.

Guess JB believed Henry when he said "car still stinky, beg for mercy ... give me plane ticket, I'm out here."

At the tail-end of the hearing yesterday, Judge Perry decided to take care of the next status hearing and asked both sides about depositions and their progress (or lack of progress). When it came up that the defense had canceled the depos at Oak Ridge Labs, he reminded them that there is a deadline for all the depos to be finished and that if that deadline arrives, they may find themselves at trial without the aid of those depos. Seems odd that after that pointed reminder, they turned around and cancelled still more depos. I sure can't figure out these guys. :waitasec: It's almost like they are skipping the most important depos for their own side.

At the tail-end of the hearing yesterday, Judge Perry decided to take care of the next status hearing and asked both sides about depositions and their progress (or lack of progress). When it came up that the defense had canceled the depos at Oak Ridge Labs, he reminded them that there is a deadline for all the depos to be finished and that if that deadline arrives, they may find themselves at trial without the aid of those depos. Seems odd that after that pointed reminder, they turned around and cancelled still more depos. I sure can't figure out these guys. :waitasec: It's almost like they are skipping the most important depos for their own side.

I was just going to post that thought :crazy:

Do they think that deposing these witnesses will help them? If the answer is no, why spend the money if they can attack the credibility of the witness by using someone else...for example what if they can get an accredited expert to state hair banding is junk science?

Do they think that deposing these witnesses will help them? If the answer is no, why spend the money if they can attack the credibility of the witness by using someone else...for example what if they can get an accredited expert to state hair banding is junk science?

True, I think it shows the state of their case. They have to go on fishing expeditions with TES records, mysterious jail calls, attepmting to destroy RK's credibility and naming him a suspect. It's despicable!

If the defense does not do these depos before trial we are going to see/hear a lot of:

"May I see a copy of that"
those looks of "I think I am going to puke" (we saw some of this Friday)

Maybe the defense doesn't see the need to prep in this way...they feel they can do a, b, and c and it will all come together.

You know someone that spends hours, and hours practicing/studying makes it look simple. (Poetry in motion) And those looking on don't realize the effort it takes.

MOO

MuzikMan got this info at the courthouse

June 17, 2010 - Defense depositions
Brett Churchill - searcher
Kristin Churchill - searcher
Shelley Churchill - searcher
Charles Crittenden - Cindy co worker
Debbie Polisano - Cindy supervisor

July 13, 2010 - Defense depositions

Michael N. Burnett - Oak Ridge Lab
David C. Glasgow - Oak Ridge Lab
Madhavi Z. Martin - Oak Ridge Lab
Mark Wise - Oak Ridge Lab

July 14, 2010 - Defense deposition

Arpad Alexander Vass - Oak Ridge Lab

July 21, 2010 - State deposition

Bradley Wright - former roommate of Kronk - depo in Miami, FL

August 16, 2010 - State deposition

Laura Buchanan - searcher - depo in Iselin, NJ

I take it this list is of the scheduled depositions and not a list of ones that actually DID take place? It's very confusing to try to figure out which is which with the deposition shuffle that Jose's been doing ...
I'm also wondering why the cancellations and re-scheduling has not even come up at status hearings?

Thanks! I just saw your post after posting mine ... at the rate that the defense is cancelling them , they will never make the deadline ... I hope Judge Perry doesn't accept ANY excuses from Jose as they get closer to the deadline ... I can just see the defense trying to use the ole the witnesses are not cooperating and making themselves available at the last minute ... or try to blame JAC for not funding them in a timely fashion ... I can just hear the excuses now ....

Something is strange here, these "experts" were not listed on the witness list :confused: :

Dr. Thelma Eikelenboom
Dr. Richard Eikelenboom
Nicholas Petraco

I think the next status hearing will be interesting...... if the witness list was amended, how was it filed? It should be posted with the clerk. If it wasn't filed and the defense switched at the last minute could they be sanctioned? I wonder what the JAC will say about the International flight expenses.

Yep, strange indeed ... I can't see how the defense can use reports/examinations of these new expert witnesses unless they are all working pro bono and paying for their own expenses ... but that brings up another question ... will the JAC still pay for the other experts they already approved if there seems to be duplicate areas of expertise?

For example if they already have approval for a DNA expert, will JAC still pay for that expert if the defense is now bringing in "touch" DNA experts? Something doesn't seem right ... Also, the JAC agreed to pay for the out of state experts because Jose said they were 50% to 60% done ... WTH?

http://www.journal-news.com/news/crime/defense-expected-to-rest-its-case-in-widmer-retrial-724915.html

Defense expected to rest its case in Widmer retrial

Spitz testified he is paid $400 per hour and received $10,000 for his court appearance

and of note....
In cross examination, Vieux quizzed Spitz on why prior to the first trial he told prosecutors he had no opinion as to the manner of Sarah Widmer’s death. Spitz said he offered testimony in the first trial that he deemed it undeterminable, meaning neither he nor anyone else can say for sure what caused her drowning.

MuzikMan got these

07.19.2010 SA Notice of Cancellation of Depo Bradley Wright [Kronk]
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/48538453/07192010-SA-Notice-of-Cancellation-of-Depo

07/26/2010 Defense Notice Of Depo (Bodyfarm staff)
Michael Burnett, Madhavi Martin, Mark Wise, David Glasgow, Dr Vass
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/48545521/07262010-Defense-Bodyfarm-Depo-Notice

07/29/2010 Defense Notice of Depos (Dr. Jan G, Gary Utz, Yuri Melich,
Gerardo bloise, Dawn Murphy[Murray], Michael Vincent, Jennifer Welch,
Jesse Grund, Richard Grund
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/48546512/07292010-Defense-Notice-of-Depos

July 21, 2010 - State deposition - State CANCELED this deposition
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/48538453...lation-of-Depo
Bradley Wright - former roommate of Kronk - depo in Miami, FL

August 11, 2010 - Defense RESCHEDULED from July 30, 2010
Jesse Grund
Richard Grund

September 10, 2010 - Defense RESCHEDULED from Sept 3, 2010
Yuri Melich - OCSO

July 13, 2010 - Defense depositions - all RESCHEDULED for Sept 21, 2010 in Knoxville, TN
Michael N. Burnett - Oak Ridge Lab
David C. Glasgow - Oak Ridge Lab
Madhavi Z. Martin - Oak Ridge Lab
Mark Wise - Oak Ridge Lab

July 14, 2010 - Defense deposition - RESCHEDULED for September 22, 2010 in Knoxville, TN
Arpad Alexander Vass - Oak Ridge Lab

Regarding Arpad Vass......while he will likely be picked apart by the defense..........Henry Lee's book ,The Real World of a Forensic Scientist describes him in a most complimentary manner.

Snip..pg 307
Aside from soil comparison, bacterial analysis has another important forensic function. Dr. Arpad Vass, a research scientist at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, has been working for years on the analysis of microbial measurements from decomposition found in soil beneath corpses. These data have assisted in narrowing estimates of the post mortem interval (PMI)- the period between the time a person dies and the time his body is discovered.

Dr. Lee then discusses the use of brain scans in criminal trials. Discussing cases where brain scans have been used to show the differences between the adolescent and adult brain......and how it factors into impulsivity and emotion. Given the issue the defense has with the "air sample testing", I find Dr. Lee's comments regarding the "still controversial" meaning of brain scans to be very interesting.

snip pg 308
While the meaning of brain scans is still controversial, they will increasingly come into play in trials, especially for the defense.

There is also quite a bit of homage paid to the value of gas chromatography. There is discussion of the value of this specialty in Homeland Security.......BUT what is important to note.......that GC is not referred to as "junk science" as JB has opined. In fact....while the references in the book do not specify use for determining decompositional events........the use of GC itself is given MUCH WEIGHT AND VALUE and there is reference to a "library of known substances". pg 167, 304-306.

Food for thought.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back