2010.07.01 Defense Releases Expert Witness List

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Regarding Arpad Vass......while he will likely be picked apart by the defense..........Henry Lee's book ,The Real World of a Forensic Scientist describes him in a most complimentary manner.

Snip..pg 307
Aside from soil comparison, bacterial analysis has another important forensic function. Dr. Arpad Vass, a research scientist at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, has been working for years on the analysis of microbial measurements from decomposition found in soil beneath corpses. These data have assisted in narrowing estimates of the post mortem interval (PMI)- the period between the time a person dies and the time his body is discovered.

Dr. Lee then discusses the use of brain scans in criminal trials. Discussing cases where brain scans have been used to show the differences between the adolescent and adult brain......and how it factors into impulsivity and emotion. Given the issue the defense has with the "air sample testing", I find Dr. Lee's comments regarding the "still controversial" meaning of brain scans to be very interesting.

snip pg 308
While the meaning of brain scans is still controversial, they will increasingly come into play in trials, especially for the defense.

There is also quite a bit of homage paid to the value of gas chromatography. There is discussion of the value of this specialty in Homeland Security.......BUT what is important to note.......that GC is not referred to as "junk science" as JB has opined. In fact....while the references in the book do not specify use for determining decompositional events........the use of GC itself is given MUCH WEIGHT AND VALUE and there is reference to a "library of known substances". pg 167, 304-306.

Food for thought.

I hope the SAO uses Dr. Lee's book against him at the trial. Thank you for this info SOTS!

There is also discussion in Dr. Lee's book about "Expert Witnesses Gone Wrong".
pg 291-96

He discusses unconscious bias in testing, the importance of remaining up to date and current in the field, and that independent experts are the only way to identify problems. He lists 4 cases of forensic scientists charged with misconduct. He does not include his name and fingernail debacle.

This will be a huge part of LKB's role in KC's case.

There is also discussion in Dr. Lee's book about "Expert Witnesses Gone Wrong".
pg 291-96

He discusses unconscious bias in testing, the importance of remaining up to date and current in the field, and that independent experts are the only way to identify problems. He lists 4 cases of forensic scientists charged with misconduct. He does not include his name and fingernail debacle.

This will be a huge part of LKB's role in KC's case.

He has already outed himself as a liar when he started in with the "like pizza, like garbage" nonsense on Nancy Grace. I hope his testimony is done before noon, since he has a habit of not coming back from lunch.

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1SJuT6ZnZa_DMbH7rK5QXMFWMCG9xV7KVoIjLLRZfg_E&hl=en
DEFENSE WITNESS LIST
UPDATED AUGUST 5, 2010

I updated the Defense Witness List and State Witness List to reflect the rescheduled deposition dates, and to make a Correction on the Bradley Wright info. There was NO Defense deposition done of this witness on July 12, 2010. He gave a Defense statement on Nov. 8, 2009.

Bradley Wright - former roommate of Kronk not known if added to Defense Witness List after July 1, 2010?
CORRECTION - NO Defense depo done on July 12, 2010 in Sarasota, FL
Defense took statement of Bradley Wright on Nov 8, 2009 - filed in Motion
State depo scheduled for July 21, 2010 in Sarasota - CANCELED
Bradley on fishing boat - Captain until October 2010
Bradley's attorney Tony Moss visited Inmate Casey Anthony on July 2, 2010

I welcome any comments or corrections. TIA

Thank you Nums24!!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-casey-anthony-dna,0,2190766.story

Casey Anthony defense wants DNA testing on Caylee's shorts
By Anthony Colarossi Sentinel Staff Writer
11:19 a.m. EDT, September 27, 2010

excerpt:
"The Casey Anthony defense team wants DNA testing done on a canvas bag found at the discovery site of Caylee Marie Anthony's remains and shorts the prosecution believes Caylee wore, according to a new motion filed in court.

Defense attorneys Jose Baez and Cheney Mason say they want DNA testing done on a canvas bag found at the recovery site and "shorts the State of Florida believes was worn by Caylee Marie Anthony," according to the motion.

The defense also asks that the items be tested by its DNA expert Richard Eikelenboom of the Dutch-based Independent Forensic Services.

"Mr. Eikelenboom is world renowned and highly regarded as a pioneer in the field of touch DNA, an area that could prove useful to the defense," the motion states. "Many laboratories in the United States have not mastered this technique, thereby placing a severe restriction on its [the defense team's] ability to find an expert with this expertise."

Assistant State Attorney Jeff Ashton has asked that such evidence be tested in the United States and that the lab used be certified by the American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors."

Thank you Nums24!!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-casey-anthony-dna,0,2190766.story

Casey Anthony defense wants DNA testing on Caylee's shorts
By Anthony Colarossi Sentinel Staff Writer
11:19 a.m. EDT, September 27, 2010

excerpt:
"The Casey Anthony defense team wants DNA testing done on a canvas bag found at the discovery site of Caylee Marie Anthony's remains and shorts the prosecution believes Caylee wore, according to a new motion filed in court.

Defense attorneys Jose Baez and Cheney Mason say they want DNA testing done on a canvas bag found at the recovery site and "shorts the State of Florida believes was worn by Caylee Marie Anthony," according to the motion.

The defense also asks that the items be tested by its DNA expert Richard Eikelenboom of the Dutch-based Independent Forensic Services.

"Mr. Eikelenboom is world renowned and highly regarded as a pioneer in the field of touch DNA, an area that could prove useful to the defense," the motion states. "Many laboratories in the United States have not mastered this technique, thereby placing a severe restriction on its [the defense team's] ability to find an expert with this expertise."

Assistant State Attorney Jeff Ashton has asked that such evidence be tested in the United States and that the lab used be certified by the American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors."

Hmm - let's think about this.....The Defense would like us to believe Dr. Vass's work. which is world recognized and accepted, is "junk science", but someone who is a pioneer in touch DNA, a technique "not yet mastered by many US laboratories", is not "junk science"?:waitasec:

Mr. Baez, have you heard the term, what is good for the goose is good for the gander?:waitasec:

Give me a ring anytime, I'd be happy to explain what the saying means.:furious:

The problem with looking for touch DNA on the shorts and the canvas bag is the fact that these items were left in the elements for months. So what ever touch DNA that was there that was left by the assailant would be gone. The only thing they may find would be touch DNA traces from LE personel or the ME. Which could be exactly why the defense wants to use this method. They know Casey's DNA will not be present and by having a different DNA present it will be used to show SODDI.

On a side note: For me courts in the future are going to have to be very careful how they handle DNA evidence. The technology to find and test DNA seems to be out pacing methods of contamination control. With sample sizes needed for testing getting smaller and smaller coupled with being able to extract older DNA samples who's to say we can't one day detect the DNA of the person who made the item such as a t-shirt. That or anyone who might have tried on that shirt at the store before it's involvement in a case.

The problem with looking for touch DNA on the shorts and the canvas bag is the fact that these items were left in the elements for months. So what ever touch DNA that was there that was left by the assailant would be gone. The only thing they may find would be touch DNA traces from LE personel or the ME. Which could be exactly why the defense wants to use this method. They know Casey's DNA will not be present and by having a different DNA present it will be used to show SODDI.

On a side note: For me courts in the future are going to have to be very careful how they handle DNA evidence. The technology to find and test DNA seems to be out pacing methods of contamination control. With sample sizes needed for testing getting smaller and smaller coupled with being able to extract older DNA samples who's to say we can't one day detect the DNA of the person who made the item such as a t-shirt. That or anyone who might have tried on that shirt at the store before it's involvement in a case.

thank you for kind of answering what I was wondering about with the touch dna....didn't make a lot of sense being it was out in the elements for so very long----

Hmm - let's think about this.....The Defense would like us to believe Dr. Vass's work. which is world recognized and accepted, is "junk science", but someone who is a pioneer in touch DNA, a technique "not yet mastered by many US laboratories", is not "junk science"?:waitasec:

Mr. Baez, have you heard the term, what is good for the goose is good for the gander?:waitasec:

You beat me to it, LG! I was just about to post the same thing! GMAB! the FBI's Oakridge Lab and Dr. Vass are "junk science" but this foreign lab working with a new technique is not? Puhleeeze! I think JB is just looking for another trace print perhaps left by a lab technician so that he can say "See! An unknown print! KC is innocent!"

Thank you! Thank you!

I have read where touch DNA has been used by LE in investigations.
BUT has touch DNA passed the Frye Test and been admitted into a criminal trial?

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1SJuT6ZnZa_DMbH7rK5QXMFWMCG9xV7KVoIjLLRZfg_E&hl=en
DEFENSE WITNESS LIST

Thank you MuzikMan!!!

Defense witness list updated - Sept 30, 2010 - new depositions scheduled for Oct 20, 2010

- Carlos Chirino - St. Augustine, FL - added August 30, 2010
owns “Professional Investigation Resources Corp” - same address as witness
Guillermo Medino [State depo Oct 20, 2010]

- Guillermo Medino - St. Augustine, FL - added Aug 30, 2010 - same address as
Carlos Chirino [State depo Oct 20, 2010]

- Paul Kelley, Esq - Maitland, FL - Anthony attorney and friend -
added Aug 30, 2010 [State depo Oct 20, 2010]

- Patrick King - Kissimmee, FL - added Aug 30, 2010
found shallow grave w/stick and string on Suburban Dr.
[State depo Oct 20, 2010]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back