2010.08.06 - Tommy gets 15 years!

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have not heard of DOC shaving anyone's head. With all the rights of prisoners, that procedure would surpris me.

Whisp, I have heard that sometimes inmates will shave their head while in prison for religious reasons. Kind of like they are reborn or something.

Quick question regarding Tommy's sentence. I am confused. I he going to serve 15yrs or will he be able to get out in 3 yrs and do 10 yrs probation? I don't recall the judge saying anything about probation on his sentencing date. Or did I miss that? Anyone know? TIA

:waitasec:
Details: http://www.putnam-fl.com/clk_apps/crim_dkts/frame.php

UCN: 542010CF000147XXAXMX
File Date: 01/21/2010
Judge: TERRY J LARUE
Case Status: CASE CLOSED
Defense Atty: WERTER, JAMES S
Case File Location: CRIMINAL DIVISION

Defendant: CROSLIN, HANK T JR

Date # Docket Description
01/21/2010 1 COMPLAINT - PCSO DET. T CAMPBELL (12/22/09)

01/21/2010 1 BOOKING NUMBER: N/A

01/21/2010 1 TRAFFICKING OXYCODONE

01/21/2010 2 WARRANT ISSUED - BOND SET AT $100,000.00

01/22/2010 3 ARREST REPORT: TRAFFICKING IN OXYCODONE (1/20/10)

08/02/2010 52 RESPONSE TO STATES MOTION TO QUASH DEFENDANTS SUBPOENA

08/06/2010 53 SCORESHEET FILED *USED BY THE COURT IN SENTENCING*

08/06/2010 54 SCORESHEET FILED *FILED PER JUDGE, NOT USED IN

08/06/2010 54 COMPUTING DEFENDANT'S SENTENCE*

08/06/2010 55 SENTENCING MINUTES: DEFT PRES, ATT BY JAMES WERTER,

08/06/2010 55 ADJUDGED GUILTY OF TRAFFICKING IN HYDROCODONE

08/06/2010 55 (4G - 14G)

08/06/2010 55 15 YEARS DOC WITH 197 DAYS CREDIT FOLLOWED BY

08/06/2010 55 10 YEARS DRUG OFFENDER PROBATION

08/06/2010 55 3 YEARS OF DOC SENTENCE ARE MINIMUM MANDATORY

08/06/2010 55 $395 COURT COSTS

08/06/2010 55 $1.00 TO FIRST STEP, INC

08/06/2010 55 $20 TO THE CRIME STOPPERS TRUST FUND

08/06/2010 55 $100 COST OF PROSECUTION

08/06/2010 55 $15 TO THE ALCOHOL AND DRUG ABUSE TRUST FUND

08/06/2010 55 COST OF SUPERVISION SET AT $10 PER MONTH

08/06/2010 55 TO UNDERGO AND PAY FOR DRUG TESTING

08/06/2010 55 $50,000 FINE MINIMUM MANDATORY

08/06/2010 55 FIRST PAYMENT DUE 90 DAYS AFTER RELEASE

08/06/2010 56 FINGERPRINTS OF DEFENDANT

08/06/2010 57 STIPULATION ON BURGLARY CHARGE

08/06/2010 58 WITNESS TESTIFIED DAILY

08/09/2010 59 JUDGMENT AND SENTENCE

08/09/2010 60 COMMITMENT ISSUED

08/09/2010 61 CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE AS TO JUDGMENT AND SENTENCE

IMHO.. No way in HELL IMHO does Tommy deserve this...And yes I know he is an addict but he didn't KILL Haleigh Cummings..
AND ALL the Cummings, Misty,LE and the SA's office know this...He has been scapegoated and God have mercy on those who have allowed this to happen...JMHOOTS.

Tommy had to be sentenced to at least 3 years (mandatory minimum for his charge). He was actually sentenced to 15 years. He will have to serve at least 85% of 15 years (minus time already served) and he will be on probation for 10 years upon release from prison.

IMHO.. No way in HELL IMHO does Tommy deserve this...And yes I know he is an addict but he didn't KILL Haleigh Cummings..
AND ALL the Cummings, Misty,LE and the SA's office know this...He has been scapegoated and God have mercy on those who have allowed this to happen...JMHOOTS.

Em, I kinda agree the sentence is a bit excessive. I really expected him to get maybe 7 or 8 years with credit for time served. Fifteen years for Tommy will seem a little more appropriate, IMO, if RC gets more than his mandatory minimum. But sadly, as I write this, I don't see it happening.

I was looking for the procedure in Florida about shaving heads at reception center when I came across this article written for all new arrivals by an inmate who is attemptimg to help the newbie out.

I got the impression ron cummings has already read it.

http://www.orlando24.net/survivingprison

I have not heard of DOC shaving anyone's head. With all the rights of prisoners, that procedure would surpris me.

Hey Whisperer,

Are ALL inmates allowed time outside everyday for a certain amount of time? If Tommy didn't spend time outside on a daily basis absorbing the sunlight, there is a good possibility his body lacks Vitamin D, which would explain why his skin appears paler in his recent mugshot.

Tommy complained to his lawyer about his living conditions so is it possible his water wasn't fit to drink?

Do inmates eat their 3 meals in their cells or do they go eat in a common area? Misty complained about the food in St. John's County Jail, and wrote the Governor, and Tommy did too during a conversation with Timmy, so it doesn't sound like the food they are given is very tantalizing or appetizing. Despite Tommy's conviction to tough it out, he must be suffering from Depression. TIA

Link to very interesting article is posted above by Whisperer.

Here is a link to some facts and stats about Florida's 85% law. Offenders who committed their crimes after 10/1/95 are sentenced under the law, except those who get a life sentence.

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/timeserv/doing/index.html

Tommy had to be sentenced to at least 3 years (mandatory minimum for his charge). He was actually sentenced to 15 years. He will have to serve at least 85% of 15 years (minus time already served) and he will be on probation for 10 years upon release from prison.

I would think his lawyer will file an appeal. He expressed dismay at the sentence and he has a pretty good legal background. I don't blame LE or the judge for being frustrated by this guy, but the sentence doesn't appear to be consistent with others with similar charges.

Just when I thought I had no compassion for any of these people, along comes this picture of Tommy Croslin.

I hope his attorney, James Werter, looks at this forlorn image for a long time to come and seriously thinks about the caliber of his actions and representation of this man.

Why did Werter plea him out without a hard plea deal in place? If there was no acceptable plea offer walking into court, why the heck would anyone allow their client to change their plea of not guilty? Only after you’ve reached a deal with the prosecutor do you agree to plea your client out. If there is no acceptable deal on the table, you take it to trial! You certainly don't just effectively throw him to the wolves.

In reality, Werter didn’t just throw Tommy Croslin to the wolves, he chained him to a tree and left a trail of bloody morsels through the forest to his feet.

He allowed his client to plead guilty to the drug charges with no deal of any sort in place. Instead, he threw his client on the mercy of the court as to his sentencing. Then, in a blinding flash of jurisprudence brilliance, a matter of days before the sentence was to be imposed, Werter filed allegations of improper conduct against the very court's officers from whom he was hoping for their merciful consideration!

If LE was pizzed at Tommy, and I’m sure they were, then the prosecutors were angry at Tommy. This likely rubbed off because the judge was clearly angry at Tommy! I’m actually amazed that out of a possible 30 years, 15 is all he got!

But WAIT! Mr Werter Esq. had even more in store for his client! In a crowning coup de gras, Werter gave this little tid bit of information to Art Harris:

Werter stressed Croslin had cooperated with police in the Haleigh Cummings investigation, and even offered to become a confidential informant to go undercover and bust other drug dealers.

http://www.artharris.com/2010/08/06/tommy-croslin-slapped-with-15-years/

After his client was sentenced to spend the next 15 years amongst drug users and dealers in the prison system, Werter’s notion of the thing to do was to go on nationwide media and tell these very people that their new neighbor offered to sell their kind out as an informant!

What kind of a block party do you think they have planned for Tommy Croslin?

I would think his lawyer will file an appeal. He expressed dismay at the sentence and he has a pretty good legal background. I don't blame LE or the judge for being frustrated by this guy, but the sentence doesn't appear to be consistent with others with similar charges.

Filing an appeal is pretty much routine. Most of them do not go anywhere. Not saying Tommy doesn't have a chance of winning on appeal (or Hope with her appeal) but the appeal process in the US is typically not in favor of the offender.

Now, there is always the possibility the mandatory minimum laws could be rescinded retroactively, in which case anyone already sentenced could have their sentence commuted. I personally am not against nationwide mandatory minimum sentencing; actually, I applaud it. I just think it should apply to violent offenders rather than non-violent drug offenders.

usually, while in jail, a druggie gets healthier & gains weight, so, what's going on with Tommy? An inmate's social world, revolves around meals, commissary money for snacks, trading, etc...Is nobody sending Tommy any money for honeybuns? Personally, I think Tommy is scared ********, & has no appetite. But, I can see why he has reason to be scared. This Haleigh 'mess' is finally catching up to him. & no, I don't think it's a guilty conscience, or remorse...because he didn't look like this, until he got cornered. I think he's sitting there, wasting away, worried about what's gonna happen to HIM. Come on Tommy. The truth will set you free.

Strange isn't it? We see Tommy wasting away, he has lost his wife and children and his life really. And then, we see Ron in court, appears happy and has gain quiet a bit of weight. He is the father of a little girl who is assumed to be dead. Why does Ron appear to be thriving and Tommy wasting away?

Strange isn't it? We see Tommy wasting away, he has lost his wife and children and his life really. And then, we see Ron in court, appears happy and has gain quiet a bit of weight. He is the father of a little girl who is assumed to be dead. Why does Ron appear to be thriving and Tommy wasting away?

Tommy is depressed because he is pining away for his ex-wife and his kids. And his oddball family. He has nothing left.

Ron has already had his biggest loss and has had over a year to adjust, so he has nothing left to lose. In jail, out of jail, mox nix.

Ron willl thrive in jail. He is amongst friends (he thinks)...never seems to have had them before. He has finally found a place that will put controls on him..something he has yearned for his whole life. He doesnt have to accept responsibility, prison has low expectations for you and the place will take care of him....perfect for ron.

Ron may be gaining weight because he isn't doing any drugs in jail and because he is eating prison food and whatever junk he can buy.

Some people eat when under stress; others drop weight rapidly. When got divorced, I dropped 15 pounds. When my dad died, I gained 15. My brother's weight stayed constant. My guess is that Tommy is experiencing great stress, which might be from dealing with the situation, including the loss of his wife and kids.

It's tempting to try to "read" all of these "signs" to determine who is grieving more, who looks more guilty. But if gaining weight means you aren't mourning a loved one, it's news to me.

Ron willl thrive in jail. He is amongst friends (he thinks)...never seems to have had them before. He has finally found a place that will put controls on him..something he has yearned for his whole life. He doesnt have to accept responsibility, prison has low expectations for you and the place will take care of him....perfect for ron.

While I don't agree with all of your points, I do agree that Ron (like most people) yearn for limits, boundaries, expectations and consequences. I don't think anyone likes prison, or can thrive in it, as I understand that term, but evidently some people can acclimate and do their time.

We won't know how prison impacts Ron until he gets out. I think one reason Ron will survive prison is that he seems to be resilient. He seems to be realistic about his situation and that leaves some hope that he can learn from these consequences and perhaps come out and salvage some of his life, for his sake and his son's.

Well, I doubt I'll be around to assess him when he is discharged but I tend to think he will be more savvy than ever concerning the criminal process. He better have learned something because GMA might not be around either. He then will lean on his son and mom.

Buh-bye Tommy.

I don't understand you or your family, but I have a feeling you came into this world with the odds stacked against you.

I'll send up some prayers for you & your family & for the strength to do the right thing by Haleigh.

Em, I kinda agree the sentence is a bit excessive. I really expected him to get maybe 7 or 8 years with credit for time served. Fifteen years for Tommy will seem a little more appropriate, IMO, if RC gets more than his mandatory minimum. But sadly, as I write this, I don't see it happening.

He got just what I expected he would. LE does not fool around with traffickers. If it was just "sale of" he'd have probably gotten a suspended sentence. imo.

Tommy has always been my "suspect" in the death of Haleigh. IMO that's why he has been wasting away and engaging in worsening self defeating behaviors since the day she went missing. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back