2011.05.09 - Sidebar Thread (Jury Selection Day One)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There were a couple of them right? (I started listening around 1pm so I probably missed a lot) but when I did start listening, a younger sounding male said he had already formed an opinion & feels she's guilty. Did you notice how hard it was for him to say that! I would have felt the same way (I'm sure it was surreal) & she kind of sat there glaring at them.

eta: Mamabear, I love your ava!

Correct he did say that. Twall posted link here it is

http://www.wftv.com/video/27829721/index.html

WOW! I just tuned back in, after chores and grocery shopping, to hear HHJP say he told the FBI to cut the carp out!!! I cannot believe that for almost 3 freakin' years, JB hasn't figured out to ask the FBI for info that is exclusive to the FBI! And what the heck is wrong with Mason and his 40+ years, that he hadn't figured that out. Shame on the defense...They are <unusual people!>!!! That smell of decomp. better be coming in after HHJP already said is was.

Why does HHJP always give the defense so many chances? I'm just sick! :sick:
Ok...have pity on me...but there's no way I can make it through all the news today. What the heck happened with the air test?

Jane VM was harder on Casey today than usual. I know JVM is good friends with Baez so she usually kind of sides with the defense. But today she slammed Casey hard. Talked about her being a pathological liar, who partied while her child was missing, and got the ' beautiful life' tatto, never notified cops her baby was missing. " How is her attorney going to explain that?"

I heard that too, I was really shocked at her today. JVM

Ok...have pity on me...but there's no way I can make it through all the news today. What the heck happened with the air test?

Air test in.

Its in the Frye hearing thread.

Short version.

FBI has documents concerning Vass and the air stuff.

JB filed many motions indicating the court or the state should make the FBI give them the documents. All without actually making any attempt to request them himself. Saying the Court could make them hand them over. The state said the Court had no jurisdiction and that JB just needed to ask for them.

Now just a week away from opening statements JB is complaining he never got those documents. And is NOW saying the state is right the court has no jurisdiction.

The judge agrees he needs the documents, even though JB was late and never did anything to get the documents just whine about not having them.

So now if the DT doesn't get those documents HHJP will not allow Vass to testify.

So here's hoping the State can get the FBI to give them the documents. But I will bet that if they get the documents the DT will request a delay to review the documents to prepare for Vass.

Basically the State is going to have to do the DT's job.
In a nutshell.

At the end of the day JB started to whine to the judge about not having that 400+ chemical database and how it was necessary that the DT have it in light of the recent air sample ruling. The judge opined that the 400+ chemical database gave him concerns as well. He went into a long speech about how he researches and, basically, knows appellate law like the back of his hand as well as what each justice in the higher courts are likely to rule on any given issue. He prides himself in this. He really is a very learned judge, nothing, and I mean nothing, gets by him, but, I digress (luv HHJP) ... after saying all this he made the statement that the fact that the database hasn't been introduced into evidence concerns him greatly. He himself wondered why chemicals, mere chemicals, can be considered secret. He stated that not having that database gravely concerns him as far as appellate issues goes. One thing he made clear is that he doesn't want to do this trial again and he has been very careful in all his rulings so that doesn't happen. JA got up and stated that the database is not a secret... the only reason it isn't in evidence is that JB has not done anything to get it from the FBI. In the end, HHJP basically said... I don't care who gets it, it needs to be got or I will err in the favor of this case not being appealed because of it. I think the prosecution will obtain this database for JB in short time, thus thwarting the DT's last ditch effort to have Vass' testimony thrown out. Watch the last part of todays jury selection to see all this unfold. (maybe the last thirty minutes??)

ETA: HHJP didn't say that he told the FBI to cut the carp out, He said that many, many times in the past he's had to tell the FBI this. He was just hinting that someone needs to take the horse by the reins and get this done or else.

Maybe the prosecution should just leave the evidence out?

They very well might. But it would be a shame because the Judge ruled it could be admitted. And if it was to be admitted it would be ground breaking for other cases after this one.

That bothers me far, far more than the loss of the air test evidence. Just my opinion, but HHJP would be all up JA's nose if he'd been dragging his feet.

Yes. I would really like to know when HHJP is going to take JB to task for his persistent incompetence. Why does he excuse him so much..? JA asked for one favor re change of venue information and HHJP snapped at him.

Did anyone keep a tabulation on the jurors? There was one professional lady that is coming back. I think she works for a hospital or in a medical field. I think she works with medical students or residents or something like that. She sounded like a good candidate.

They very well might. But it would be a shame because the Judge ruled it could be admitted. And if it was to be admitted it would be ground breaking for other cases after this one.
...and IIRC...in the beginning of the hearing today, JP pointed out that the DT had since forever to get the info/answers (for example, Dr. Vass' depo) that they needed. So what happened from the beginning of the day till the end of the day? And why rule one way when you're not convinced it won't be overruled on appeal? I'm missing something here. I hadn't realized the FBI had the info...I thought that the BF owned the info and wasn't gonna turn it over because of x,y,z reasons. Color me confused once again.

Did anyone keep a tabulation on the jurors? There was one professional lady that is coming back. I think she works for a hospital or in a medical field. I think she works with medical students or residents or something like that. She sounded like a good candidate.
We have a thread now:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135667"]Unexcused Juror List - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Casey is no longer in her "early 20's." She is officially in her "mid-20's." I get what you are saying though. I feel as long as you can get 12 jurors and 8 alternates who can listen to this trial and be fair... it doesn't matter age or race, etc... That's like saying someone who is overweight and because Casey is skinny... they are not her peer?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And I get what you both are trying to convey. LOL.
However, a juror that is thrice the defendant's age and one's weight aren't the same. Just sayin'. :)
It's a inperfect system but it's all we have to work with and IMO, it's going to work this time.

Does anyone know who the lady was that was with the defense team today? Dark hair, heavy set lady??

...and IIRC...in the beginning of the hearing today, JP pointed out that the DT had since forever to get the info/answers (for example, Dr. Vass' depo) that they needed. So what happened from the beginning of the day till the end of the day? And why rule one way when you're not convinced it won't be overruled on appeal? I'm missing something here. I hadn't realized the FBI had the info...I thought that the BF owned the info and wasn't gonna turn it over because of x,y,z reasons. Color me confused once again.
HHJP did say that he was still researching the issue of the database independently of JB's concerns. It gave him pause too but he still gave his ruling on the air samples. For whatever reason he did this, I trust his judgement. The FBI does have this list... remember when JS told JP he had to get this from them himself? Florida courts have no jurisdiction over the FBI.

It's worth the time to watch HHJP speak of this. He goes into great detail explaining how hard he works to research and rule correctly. The man is a law machine. It really is impressive and comforting to hear all this. HHJP is a God send to justice for Caylee. And to think, the DT caused him to take over the case.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And I get what you both are trying to convey. LOL.
However, a juror that is thrice the defendant's age and one's weight aren't the same. Just sayin'. :)
It's a inperfect system but it's all we have to work with and IMO, it's going to work this time.

VERY respectfully ,I disagree. To get a cross section of the population ,who have different life experiences ,to agree on guilt beyond a reasonable doubt ,raises the bar .
Is a peer only a female? All females? Only females who are the same age?
Only 20 somethings,male or female?
Even if someone is much older and heavier,they may have similar mothers or education,or religion.
I'm not sure who would be able to define the perfect system because it's all relative.

But I do respect your view and the opportunity to discuss this :pillowfight2:

It was said that KC made the comment to CM today "Very interesting group of people".

I wonder what she found so interesting about them. They seemed to be a pretty random sampling of society to me. Young, old, male, female, black, white, hispanic. The only thing most of them had in common was that they worked for a living.

HHJP did say that he was still researching the issue of the database independently of JB's concerns. It gave him pause too but he still gave his ruling on the air samples. For whatever reason he did this, I trust his judgement. The FBI does have this list... remember when JS told JP he had to get this from them himself? Florida courts have no jurisdiction over the FBI.

It's worth the time to watch HHJP speak of this. He goes into great detail explaining how hard he works to research and rule correctly. The man is a law machine. It really is impressive and comforting to hear all this. HHJP is a God send to justice for Caylee. And to think, the DT caused him to take over the case.

I read his decision. This morning. By this evening it had all changed.

Brad Conway just told JVM that he thinks Casey will be taking the stand before it's all over........

I asked this earlier but a) why was he there-- he doesn't represent the ants anymore does he??

and b) how did he know where it was to be there first thing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aat84