2011.05.17 Sidebar Thread (Jury Selection Day Eight)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that they will need a minimum of six alternates as well. Why take the risk with less? Does anyone who followed the SP case remember how many of the seated jurors were let go and replaced?
Not for SP...but I heard that 8 (IIRC) needed to be used during the OJS trial.

I do not believe that Casey will receive the DP, although she probably deserves it. However, I am glad they put the bar that high because it gives them more wriggle room. If the highest penalty was LIFE, then she would likely receive a little less. This way they aim for DP, but jury may settle for LWOP and feel that was merciful.

I agree that they need a lot of alternates. In a high profile case like this you can lose 2 or 3 jurors in one fell swoop if a family member taints one of them on a Sunday visit by telling them something sensitive, and then they pass it on.

I don't have the Florida statutes at hand, and honestly at this late hour don't feel inclined to research, however, I believe if the SA hadn't sought the DP there would be a possibility ICA could receive a life sentence but with the possibility of parole. Therefore, I believe that is one reason they decided to seek the DP so at least she would remain in prison for the rest of her life. In addition, it is said that death qualified jurors are more likely to convict on the highest count.

MOO

I just read in the 'jury' thread the guy with the tix to the Brewers game is still a PJ but that's not how I remember it..I'm almost positive AFTER he cancelled his trip with Grandma & gave his tix to a cousin it was all for nothing cos Baez struck him..Am I right or wrong about this?

Either way, he's still getting tix from JP cos he told him so & even gave him his #..The juror was thrilled & more proof JP's a real sweetheart :)

I think that this is the main reason that the judge is so eager to swear them in...He wants to get them sequestered asap so that there is the least amount of possible "contamination" possible.

moo

ITA! I think HHMP wants to get the jury sworn and sequestered as soon as possible out of concern that for as long as they're not sequestered, they could be tainted. All it would take is a family member, neighbor, or co-worker, saying something about the case, or the potential juror inadvertently being exposed to a newspaper headline or television news report on the case.

can't remember who asked, but I have 23 pjs left (including the ones listed for coming in tomorrow).

Also, IF the baseball tix guy is #3397, yes he is out...

I have marked down #3308, might that be the first # I missed for coming in tomorrow, the 'sick' one?? (no, see below on edit!)

edited to add: found on potential juror thread:

#3308 - Male - city worker, will be pd; has vacation to grandma's and baseball tix; married
HOLD - instructed to call airline about refundable tix Delta will provide full refund and HHJP will get Brewers tix (behind Home Plate funny - that was good)

Today was the first day of the jury selection that I have been in and out all day - mostly out and it has been unbelievably hard not to be here sharing this minute by minute.:pullhair:

But because I don't want my "life" to be yanked for financial hardship, there is much I needed to accomplish, to make absolutely sure I'll be here for opening statements.:back:

So thank you all for your ongoing play by play, I see I have many many comments to read in both the jury day and sidebar threads and I intend to savor everyone of them!

Back to my "Caylee & Friends" regular time tomorrow! :tyou:

I don't have the Florida statutes at hand, and honestly at this late hour don't feel inclined to research, however, I believe if the SA hadn't sought the DP there would be a possibility ICA could receive a life sentence but with the possibility of parole. Therefore, I believe that is one reason they decided to seek the DP so at least she would remain in prison for the rest of her life. In addition, it is said that death qualified jurors are more likely to convict on the highest count.

MOO

And we know that after Caylee was found with the duct tape around her head, the SA put the death penalty back on the table. They had previously removed it.

That duct tape will be significant, IMO.

So what happens if they run out? Do they just pick another place and start jury selection all over?

Exactly. The judge "rehabilitated" her.

And IMO the judge was leading her into the correct answers. I don't think she would have answered like she did had HHJP not lead her towards her answers.

Not for SP...but I heard that 8 (IIRC) needed to be used during the OJS trial.

I think two were replaced. One was for juror misconduct and the other was a juror who asked to be relieved because of issues he had with the other jurors.

And we know that after Caylee was found with the duct tape around her head, the SA put the death penalty back on the table. They had previously removed it.

That duct tape will be significant, IMO.

Exactly, and I agree about the significance of the duct tape. This was no "accident" covered up by fear of GA/CA or "ugly coping"!!!

MOO

I think two were replaced. One was for juror misconduct and the other was a juror who asked to be relieved because of issues he had with the other jurors.

This interests me. As we get closer to having a true jury pool, we will have to look at what the possible interactions between those jurors will be.

This interests me. As we get closer to having a true jury pool, we will have to look at what the possible interactions between those jurors will be.

Good point. These people are going to be together 24/7 for approximately two months, and at least will have to be able to tolerate each other.

I was on a search team that searched at the end of Suburban Drive. They called once and then a week later Mr. Lyons showed up at the door to ask some more questions.

I did not search near the spot Caylee was found we were at the end of the street behind the school.

I was on a search team that searched at the end of Suburban Drive. They called once and then a week later Mr. Lyons showed up at the door to ask some more questions.

I did not search near the spot Caylee was found we were at the end of the street behind the school.

It's probably a good thing that you were NOT the one to find her that day. If so you would probably have been painted as a suspect at one point and all the skeletons, real or imagined, would have been on the Mainstream News channels. Sad, but true. imoo

JL is probably being tasked with assisting in building a case for appeal.

Strategy: We'll stall on getting the twelve by exercising our backstrikes so you can trail those not yet sequestered, watch exposure levels, track activities that might be deemed inappropriate for a potential juror not yet retained but not yet released to be engaging in. Then we'll wrap it up with a nice little bow for appeal.

I followed the Scott Peterson case, but not anywhere near as closely as the Anthony case or other cases, but I do remember jurors being replaced. I went to Wikipedia to refresh my memory of the jury. This is what it states:

Early in the trial, one juror was removed due to juror misconduct and was replaced by an alternate, this on a complaint by Court TV, a video tape showed the jurir and Brent Rocha, Laci Peterson's older brother, speaking as they passed on another in the courthouse. Later, during jury deliberations, the jury foreman, attorney Gregory Jackson, also requested his own removal, most likely because his fellow jurors wanted to replace him as foreman. Geragos told reporters that Jackson had mentioned threats he had received when he requested to be removed from the jury. Jackson was also replaced by an alternate.

In this case, with a jury that's likely to be made up of young and old, different educational backgrounds, and cultural differences, I can see the potential for differences of opinion between jury members to arise. So that could become an issue.

When you consider the length of time the jury will be sequestered, it's very possible that there might be a health issue with jury member, or some sort of family emergency that could eliminate a juror.

I favor having no less than 6 alternates and am more comfortable with 8.

It's probably a good thing that you were NOT the one to find her that day. If so you would probably have been painted as a suspect at one point and all the skeletons, real or imagined, would have been on the Mainstream News channels. Sad, but true. imoo

I don't really know what we would have done. I have no doubt what the DT would have done to us after seeing what is going on now and what happened to RK. That is the sad part that people get scared of what will happen to them if they do search. It was a big deal for awhile about how much of our info that they had and what they could/would do with it. Back when MN was repping TES.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow