2011.05.20 Jury Selection DAY ELEVEN (Morning Session)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolling through them today. How many are there to question?

Did the Judge decide how many strikes for the alternates?

11 today I believe. 3 from the original group and 8 from yesterday group of 30 that HHJP brought in.

I didn't hear him announce how many alternates he wanted, now that you mention it. He said he would do that by closing yesterday.

I think if one is inherently against the DP, it could affect their verdict of guilt or acquittal, afraid that guilt will lead to it, even if they personally vote for LWOP.

I think this is wrong of the judge. to brow beat these people into saying they could consider the DP. Thats wrong. That is making a hung jury.
From wiki, under "Death-Qualified Jury":

The creation of such a jury requires the striking during voir dire of jurors who express opposition to the death penalty such that they are unable or unwilling to set aside personal, moral, or emotional objections toward the supporting of a death sentence, and is designed to produce a fair and impartial jury of which the members will fairly consider all options, including the death penalty and life imprisonment.

Expressing opposition to the death penalty does not automatically disqualify a juror. A party may attempt to rehabilitate the juror by asking questions as to whether, personal convictions notwithstanding, he might consider the death penalty. A juror who expresses exorbitant support for the death penalty who would thus otherwise be struck may be rehabilitated should he state that he is willing openly to consider life imprisonment.

More at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death-qualified_jury

I can't tell - she was hatin' on the teacher with two labs yesterday - does she have the same attitude with this guy?

11 today I believe. 3 from the original group and 8 from yesterday group of 30 that HHJP brought in.

I didn't hear him announce how many alternates he wanted, now that you mention it. He said he would do that by closing yesterday.

So 8 more after this gentleman.

So far so good with this guy. He seems pretty straight up. Fair minded, good man.

JB up, what did you hear?

PT: Like I just said....

:giggle:

Here goes the DT showing they like to talk and stall...where as the State has no questions...Jury will subconsciously hold it against the DT. MOO

I hate when they say body!She has a name!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member