2011.06.14 Sidebar Thread (Trial Day Eighteen)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone give a brief synopsis of what was said for those of us who can't view it? Much appreciated!!

ETA....Nevermind...I see that Florida Native did a couple of posts below. THANK YOU!! :)

Reporter - just before lunch Judge Perry had some good news for the jury

Judge - based upon what I know and what the lawyers think may happen, is that the State may wrap up their presentation tomorrow afternoon or sometime Wednesday

Reporter - but its what he said next that got Defense attorney Cheney Mason squirming in his seat

Judge - maybe .. by the end of next week we will conclude all of the evidence in this case, get you deliberating hopefully, uh, the 25th or the 27th, but that is all subject to change

Reporter - Mason objected and lawyers and the Judge huddled for a sidebar, out of earshot of the jury and spectators, but Local 6 obtained a transcript and showed it to our legal analyst Mark O'Mara

Reporter - the Judge is not pleased

Mark O'Mara - no, I think he is showing some frustration at the defense

Reporter - Mason told the Judge, "we don't have any obligation to put on any evidence at all, and you just told the jurors that you expect us to be putting on evidence. And we may or may not."

Reporter - [reading from transcript] Judge Perry - "Then y'all lied to me."
Mason - No.
Judge - Yes, the hell you did.

Reporter - you ever have a judge tell you that you lied to them?

Mark O'Mara - No, you try not to have that happen, ever. He's very upset, and he's very worried about his jury, he's telling a jury when they're gonna finish the case, when they might get the case.

Reporter - and it turns out Mason co-counsel [Baez] repeatedly told the Judge the Defense will be putting on testimony and Mason eventually admitted they were indeed going to do that. Still, he wanted Perry to tell the jury the Defense does not have to put on a defense.

[reading from transcript] Perry: If you don't put on any evidence, then I will do that.
Mason - Okay, well we are, so don't worry about it.

Judge - I will take it that I cannot trust one thing your side says anymore.

Mark O'Mara - that's not good to hear at all. I'm sure that's out of frustration, and I bet if Judge Perry could take that sentence back he would, just not to have it on record. But it is evidence of sincere frustration that the judge has with the defense.

Tony Pipitone - reading a transcript and not hearing the voices, it's unclear whether the judge is saying he doesn't trust the defense any more period, or he wouldn't trust them any more if they do not put on a defense case. But, it's clear legal analyst Mark O'Mara says you don't want the judge talking about whether he trusts you or not under any circumstances.

Reporter - so they are definitely coming with the evidence, definitely coming with a defense, how long is this gonna take?

Tony Pipitone - the judge said he will have a better idea by Saturday, but he told the jury he thinks deliberations could begin two weeks from tonight or even sooner.

Reporter - and then we're on again tomorrow at 1:00

Tony Pipitone - we'll be there

Gawd, I hope they (jury) are not of the mind set that because Baez is such a screw-up that makes them feel sorry for Casey because she didn't have a good lawyer. jmo
I personally believe that KC intentionally murdered Caylee, but I don't think the State has really show that...yet.

I don't believe new evidence can be entered during the rubuttal phase. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have?

It can if the DT opens the door for it - and surely they will. Clearly Baez doesn't know when to stop questioning or when to keep his mouth shut and he'll trip himself up and that will allow many doors to be opened. IMO

Makes you wonder if it is an appeal issue. The DT will say the judge forced them to put on a defense with evidence by telling the jury they were going to. LOL

Won't work because I bet Judge Perry has lots of sidebar transcripts saying they are going to put such and such on and their opening statement demands they do.

I think the SA should push it to through the morning of 6/16 and then when they return from lunch the DT is up...basically splitting the day of the last time Caylee was seen and then KC did what she did the afternoon of 6/16..

I really, really wanted that stain evidence to come in. I also think there is not just ONE witness left. I believe we will see a couple of witnesses. I think yesterday their timing was off because the PowerPointPresentation wasn't allowed in.
I thought it did?

I've been thinking about the SA's schedule revision to 'rest' their side a few days earlier than anticipated.
1) Hair banding ppt not allowed into evidence. This would have used up some more time & potentially a follow-up from another witness.
2) HHJP's comment to the defense on (sorry can't think of the right word - need more coffee!) redundant testimony. 2 is ok, but 3 is too much. They may have had more info to expound upon, but decided against it. KWIM?
3) Catch DT off guard - not hard to do, I know. (However, I'm not sure HHJP appreciated this, in light of eplaining to DT last week that DT NEEDED to be PREPARED, may take 5 days to get some witnesses to trial, etc.)

One last thought on Duct Tape...I think the video demostration purposely only showed one piece of duct tape. Minimalize the visual on a single piece of duct tape. In closing, drive home the point there were actually 3 pieces, not one.

Many items were brought into evidence but not expounded upon. One of which is the 4th piece of duct tape. Also, the flyover & marking items of locations of bones. I need to review bone recovery location in relationship to 4th piece of duct tape. But, I think SA may be able to tie-in arm/hand bones & location of 4th piece of duct tape, which iirc contained 'fine hairs'.
IMO

I'd also like to revisit the duct tape evidence for a sec.
We've known about the tape since Caylee was found. The media has known about it. Vinnie Politan and Bill Scheaffer,two seasoned lawyers , were visibly shaken after seeing the evidence for themselves.Vinnie did a 180.
That's not evidence or testimony,but it told me a lot.
I'm not sure the State needs much more than that.

I've been missing here for a few days, our little dog Ben passed on, and I have no idea what's going on.

Teresa

I personally believe that KC intentionally murdered Caylee, but I don't think the State has really show that...yet.

Yeah, I feel like something is missing from the SA's case, but then I wonder if it is because we "know" so much? After three years of this we have absorbed everything, there is no way for the SA to go into all of it. So this AM, I decided it's not that they are coming up short......we are just too long. :great:

:dunno: can someone please answer this?

The FBI witness said she saw a heart shape residue on the end of the duct tape, she called her supervisor who agreed with her. However, she was there to look for fingerprints even though she didn't expect to find any, in the process they rendered the heart residue undetectable.

After they completed their tests they informed LE that they saw a heart shaped residue on the end of the duct tape causing the LE to return to the scene to search for it...so LE knew nothing of the sticker until the FBI informed them it could exist.....that is the knock it out of the ballpark evidence and it is devastating.

The SA is not like the DT they don't bluff and bluster because they don't have anything and want to distract the jury, they just lay out the facts as they are.

I'm not surprised at this development. I suspected that something like this might happen when Baez motioned (again!) for a mistrial, and HHJP told him that he would not rule on any further mistrial requests until right before the verdict was read. I took that as a signal from the Judge that he expected the DT to put on a case. jmo

CM is mad at the judge for telling the jury that they may begin their CIC on Wednesday. CM says that they don't HAVE to even have a CIC. HHJP says "well then ya'll lied to me" ... CM says NOT. (meaning they have argued to the judge that they will present evidence to support say..a line of questioning they are following with a witness). CM then (after Judge says ya'll lied) says...Oh don't worry, we will put on a CIC.

I do hope that Casey knows that her defense team could care less about her, they are their to make a name for themselves, and to always be remembered like the OJ team, but he got off, she will not!! The good thing is she can not buy any lawyers as she has no money, nor power like OJ, and Mr. Johnny had passed away

Yeah, I feel like something is missing from the SA's case, but then I wonder if it is because we "know" so much? After three years of this we have absorbed everything, there is no way for the SA to go into all of it. So this AM, I decided it's not that they are coming up short......we are just too long. :great:

Excellent way to look at it. I believe you are right. I have faith in these State attorneys. I believe through rebuttal and closing statements, the whole picture will emerge.

I do think a lot of our anxiety is because we know so much about this case.

IMO, anyone down the line reading the whole trial transcript will praise Hizhonor for having the patience of a saint.

ETA: I can't get Quik Time to open, could anyone summarize what in particular Hizhonor was lied to about?
Are you using firefox? I had the same issue, you have to uninstall quicktime and reinstall it. That is if you have the plugin for quicktime already on firefox.

I was getting a 0 error message.

Originally Posted by suepitzl
Anyone think the witness could be Dom Casey, coming out of hiding?

:seeya: I do!

He does not live out of state, and would not have to fly in today, unless he moved?
And I think if he was put on, it would create much more follow-up testimony than could be covered today and half a day tomorrow. IMO

Has anything been said about the tape being rare or different from most duct tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member