2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Breaking news: Helene rapidly intensified into a Category 1 hurricane near Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula Wednesday morning.

The massive storm has 80 mph winds and is forecast to keep rapidly intensifying into a Category 3 major hurricane by the time it makes landfall in Florida’s Big Bend by Thursday evening.
We're under a tropical storm watch up here in the ATL. Fixing to bring in out patio stuff and grill and prepare as best we can. Forecast is calling for 50-70 mph wind gusts tomorrow night into Friday morning. We're not used to that up here :oops:

Well, I’m as ready as I can be. There are clouds and it’s breezy. The proceeding bands of rain are expected around 3-4pm.

I braced my tree out front just after dawn, you can see the clouds in the photo. Took photos of my front landscaping in case there is damage. Emptied the rain barrel. Brought in all my gardening things. Put the trash & recycle bins in the garage. Locked my double gate so the wind doesn’t push it open.

Gas in my truck, a little cash on hand, charging the iPhone, iPad, laptop and the portable charger. The internet always “drowns” during storms. But my iPhone has 5G service.

I do not have a lot of food on hand because if we lose power, the insurance doesn’t reimburse you. I have a 1/2 loaf of bread, my PeaNot butter made from chickpeas, and jam. (Allergic to peanuts). Lots of snacks too. No bananas tho because people are panic buying them. I have a grill and charcoal if I want hot food.

My friend and I are going for pizza tonight. I might get an extra slice because I’ll eat that cold. I still need to empty my ice maker into my cooler.

Two neighbors came by to check if I wanted to put up hurricane shutters. They’re not putting any up. This is just an annoying rain event with wind. It’s shifted more west but it could shift east again.

Attachments

• IMG_0022.jpeg
    IMG_0022.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6109.heic.jpeg
    IMG_6109.heic.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 24
FWIW—
-I download podcasts and audiobooks prior to hurricanes.
-charge everything you have. Remember that power surges can damage your electronics.
-fill up your bathtub or available vessels with water
-make as much ice as you can. All available space in your freezer can be filled with ziplocks full of water. Turn the freezers down to the coldest settings.
-put water and other supplies in your vehicle in case you have to evacuate.

It will most likely be okay. It will pass.

This is not at all unexpected, at least to me. That area is flat, flat, flat and there is literally nothing to stop this storm until it bumps into the Blue Ridge Mountains Smoky Mountains in north GA, southern TN. Hang on tight friends.

Helene, currently a Category 1 hurricane, is forecast to make landfall as a major Category 4 hurricane with winds up to 130 mph.

Landfall is forecast between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. Thursday in Florida's Big Bend region.

Last edited:
This is not at all unexpected, at least to me. That area is flat, flat, flat and there is literally nothing to stop this storm until it bumps into the Blue Ridge Mountains Smoky Mountains in north GA, southern TN. Hang on tight friends.

Helene, currently a Category 1 hurricane, is forecast to make landfall as a major Category 4 hurricane with winds up to 130 mph.

Landfall is forecast between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. Thursday in Florida's Big Bend region.
Hurricane warning zone is getting closer to metro ATL with every update. My anxiety is also getting higher with every update.

Jonathan Petramala
@jpetramala
·
6h

A fleet of ambulances evacuating this Pinellas County Hospital that sits in Zone A (very susceptible to storm surge) Also, a large water dam is being set up around the building #BREAKING #Evacuations #Helene #FLwx

It’s Pasedena Hospital.

@beachgem10 is a tiktok verified ER Paediatrician. She has just started a 40-hour lockdown shift at the hospital. She spent the whole day packing because her home is in a Florida flood zone, and it flooded last year.

Movers are set to remove her items tonight. She set up two cameras because they don’t think her home will survive the storm surge. (They had applied for a permit to put the house on stilts, but it hasn’t been approved yet.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back