2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It’s getting dark here in Sarasota. The islands are closed (Siesta Key, etc). Streets downtown are flooded. Still windy but not much rain.

I have tree pieces everywhere. Front and back yard. Nothing I can’t gather up in the morning. I may need to tilt the sunflower patch back up.

Delta has delayed the kids flight out of Honolulu to Atlanta by 3 hours now. If it gets canceled, they have a friend they can stay with.

Attachments

• IMG_6135.jpeg
    IMG_6135.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6134.jpeg
    IMG_6134.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6130.jpeg
    IMG_6130.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 25
...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE HELENE NEARING THE NORTHEAST GULF COAST... ...CATASTROPHIC STORM SURGE AND LIFE-THREATENING WINDS EXPECTED IN THE FLORIDA BIG BEND AREA...

8:00 PM EDT Thu Sep 26
Moving: NNE at 23 mph
Min pressure: 942 mb
Max sustained: 130 mph

It’s getting dark here in Sarasota. The islands are closed (Siesta Key, etc). Streets downtown are flooded. Still windy but not much rain.

I have tree pieces everywhere. Front and back yard. Nothing I can’t gather up in the morning. I may need to tilt the sunflower patch back up.

Delta has delayed the kids flight out of Honolulu to Atlanta by 3 hours now. If it gets canceled, they have a friend they can stay with.
Sending safe vibes from Vermont.

...HELENE SLIGHTLY STRONGER AS ITS EYE APPROACHES THE COAST OF THE FLORIDA BIG BEND... ...900 PM EDT POSITION UPDATE...

9:00 PM EDT Thu Sep 26
Moving: NNE at 24 mph
Min pressure: 941 mb
Max sustained: 140 mph
Reporting that the 140 winds will be non-stop which is very unusual.
???

NBC live updates

More than 600,000 customers in Florida are without power tonight.
At 9 p.m. ET, 600,105 customers were without power, according to the website PowerOutage.us.
Hurricane Helene is a powerful Category 4 storm that is expected to make landfall later tonight near Florida’s Big Bend. The majority of Florida is under hurricane or tropical storm warnings.
8m ago / 9:00 PM EDT
Copied

Biden approves emergency declaration for Alabama​

Caroline Kenny and Antonio Planas
President Joe Biden today approved an emergency declaration for Alabama to assist with hardships brought on by Hurricane Helene.
The declaration authorizes the Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Emergency Management Agency to coordinate disaster relief efforts, "which have the purpose of alleviating the hardship and suffering caused by" the storm "and to provide appropriate assistance for required emergency measures," according to a statement from the White House.
More than 30 counties were named in the declaration.
Hurricane Helene is a Category 4 storm and was expected to make landfall tonight along Florida’s Big Bend region.
14m ago / 8:54 PM EDT
Copied

unfurl="true"]https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/live-blog/hurricane-helene-live-updates-rcna172799[/URL]​

CNN updates:

2 min ago

Rare extreme wind warning issued​

From CNN Meteorologists Mary Gilbert and Brandon Miller
Parts of Florida’s Big Bend region are now under an extreme wind warning.

This type of warning is the most severe, most urgent alert for wind.

“This means to expect high winds of 115 mph or greater due to the eyewall of a major hurricane,” the National Weather Service in Tallahassee warned. “Treat this warning like a tornado warning.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Looneybinmadness
Back