Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
20 min ago

Helene is still strengthening​

From CNN Meteorologist Mary Gilbert
Hurricane Helene now has sustained winds of 140 mph, an increase of 10 mph from just an hour ago, according to the National Hurricane Center. It remains a dangerous Category 4 hurricane.

Helene is just 65 miles west of Cedar Key, Florida, and 90 miles south of Tallahassee.

Attachments

• 1727400311244.png
    1727400311244.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
x.com
@USCGSoutheast

#Breaking
@USCG
Air Station #Clearwater saved a man & his dog, Thurs., during Hurricane #Helene after his 36-ft sailboat became disabled & started taking on water approximately 25 miles off Sanibel Island. Call the #USCG for help on VHF Ch. 16 or dial 911 for storm distress. #SAR

From the maps, it would be easy to believe that the Ft. Meyer region was too far south to be involved with significant wind. That man is very lucky that the USCG was able to get to him.

Yes, that’s always such a problem, and it really frustrates me when people don’t heed orders to evacuate because it puts fire and rescue crews in impossible situations. I live within an evacuation zone in SC. We are flat out told that if we don’t leave when a mandatory evacuation is ordered and an emergency arises—whether that’s a heart attack or our house is flooding—help WILL NOT be coming until the order is lifted. I don’t know if that’s common practice in all areas prone to storms, but it should be…

GYcOKKEbIAAeDNw

links:
CATASTROPHIC HELENE COMES CRASHING IN

140 MPH; CAT 4 MONSTER
RADAR SATELLITE
LIVE: STORM CHASERS
LIVE: WATCHES, WARNINGS

Yes, that’s always such a problem, and it really frustrates me when people don’t heed orders to evacuate because it puts fire and rescue crews in impossible situations. I live within an evacuation zone in SC. We are flat out told that if we don’t leave when a mandatory evacuation is ordered and an emergency arises—whether that’s a heart attack or our house is flooding—help WILL NOT be coming until the order is lifted. I don’t know if that’s common practice in all areas prone to storms, but it should be…

Officials' grim request for those riding out Helene in Florida: Mark your bodies so we can ID you​

“I’ve lived here my whole life, and I’ve never been worried about a storm. I am worried about this storm,” the Taylor County sheriff said.
As in other spots in Florida, mandatory evacuations were ordered for Taylor County, but Padgett estimated that as much as half of his population is choosing to stay put.

It's too late now for them to change their minds and try to head out, Padgett said, who instead told them to "hunker down, stay put." He also asked them to "take a black Magic Marker, write your name, your Social Security number, everything on your arm" so officials can identify residents in worst-case scenarios.'

Some people just can't evacuate.
Can't afford it, no car, no family.
Terrible.

"Connie Russo didn’t decide to stay at her mobile home park in the Tampa-area community of Palm River out of pride or self-confidence. It came down to dollars and cents.

“It’s real challenging, because everyone lives off the check, Social Security,” she said yesterday, ahead of Hurricane Helene, which brought high winds and storm surge to the Florida’s Gulf Coast today.

“We just can’t pick up and move. They get paid once a month, and that’s all they’ve got, and then they’re done,” she said. “We can’t afford to get a hotel or somewhere. Most of these people don’t have family members to go to.”

Shelters are open, but Russo said many in the mobile home park don’t drive, some because they are too old or have disabilities.

“We’re not lazy. We’re hunkering down here, and that’s about all we can do,” Russo said."

I’ve always especially hated hurricanes that make landfall at night. The sounds are terrifying and it’s too dark to see what’s going on. I was woken up by tornado warnings blaring on my phone every other hour during Hurricane Dorian. I just kept picturing our little condo getting swept away in a funnel cloud like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz while my husband snored away blissfully ignorant beside me. I was 8 during Hurricane Hugo. Luckily, I slept through the whole thing. Even when my dad picked me up and moved me into the living room because they were worried about the pine trees that separated our house from our neighbors. (One of those hundred year old pines actually did fall, but it fell in the opposite direction and into my neighbor’s bedroom window. No one was hurt.) The destruction that Hugo left in its wake was catastrophic. It was a Category 4 with an eye 9 miles wide when it made landfall in SC. I’m praying for all of you in Florida tonight and that the storm moves quickly!

...EYEWALL OF EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY 4 HELENE BEGINNING TO MOVE ASHORE ALONG THE FLORIDA COAST OF THE BIG BEND... ...1000 PM EDT POSITION UPDATE...

10:00 PM EDT Thu Sep 26
Moving: NNE at 24 mph
Min pressure: 939 mb
Max sustained: 140 mph

Terrible.

"Connie Russo didn’t decide to stay at her mobile home park in the Tampa-area community of Palm River out of pride or self-confidence. It came down to dollars and cents.

“It’s real challenging, because everyone lives off the check, Social Security,” she said yesterday, ahead of Hurricane Helene, which brought high winds and storm surge to the Florida’s Gulf Coast today.

“We just can’t pick up and move. They get paid once a month, and that’s all they’ve got, and then they’re done,” she said. “We can’t afford to get a hotel or somewhere. Most of these people don’t have family members to go to.”

Shelters are open, but Russo said many in the mobile home park don’t drive, some because they are too old or have disabilities.

“We’re not lazy. We’re hunkering down here, and that’s about all we can do,” Russo said."
I understand that, I do. But there are shelters like the article mentions. They open them up well in advance of the storm and oftentimes offer shuttle services for those who need it. Many people just don’t want to leave their homes behind, period. And that’s fine. But they also need to be told that the risk of staying put is that help won’t be coming.

Terrible.

I thought if needed there were services,especially for the elderly/disabled to transport them to shelters?

Latest evacuation notices and shelters opening in Tampa Bay for Helene
2 days ago

More news

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member