2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My brother and his family live in Statesboro, GA (not too far from Savannah). They lost power around 2 AM and trees have fallen in their neighborhood blocking them in. And the basketball goal fell on my sister-in-law’s car.
Oh, so less than a hour west of them. They just bought a house in Rincon GA in August. They wanted to be in Pooler but couldn’t find anything that met their needs in their price range. Their back corner of their backyard has water so now they know the low spot.

They lost power at 2am and just got it back about 1:15pm. Still no internet tho. She’s a remote worker so by Mon they should be fine.

We did dodge a bullet. It moved slightly east and that prevented us from getting anything but needed showers. Sun is shining this morning. I usually don’t get too concerned, but I was with this one.
Glad you’re ok. I noticed the eastward slide and wondered if it would affect us. But not really because it was so far north at that point.

My daughter and her boyfriend landed in Atlanta at 9:30am. It wasn’t as bad as they expected. They arrived in Dothan about 15 minutes ago. They’ve been up for over 28 hours. Super exhausted and will sleep now.

Tomorrow they’ll go to Panama City Beach where she lives. PCB had higher water in the bay but nothing else to worry about that she was aware of. That shift east helped.

I'm in Louisville, Kentucky, and the remnants have been stuck on top of us all day. It's not pouring, but it's been an annoyingly steady rain fiasco. The wind gusts have been making the power go on and off, and it's overall just a soggy, gloomy mess.
The big Louder Than Life music festival is supposed to be going on here in town right now, and as of right now it's delayed indefinitely due to the high winds - they cant risk the stages and equipment being blown over and causing injuries or deaths. I feel bad for everyone who bought the weekend passes and/or are camping at the fairgrounds for it....doesn't look like it's going to happen today or tomorrow, honestly. And if it does, I can't even imagine what a sloppy, muddy nightmare it would be to attend...I went last year and it was a blast, but I'm not about to be smashed up against thousands of other people drenched in that lovely concoction of rain, sweat, mud and god only knows what else.

Good on Bethany!!!! I have had mixed feelings about her throughout the years. I follow horse racing- her biological father was a great trainer who died 15 years ago from Leukemia - Her parents were divorced so I think there was a very strained relationship with her father. Her mother remarried and she has never acknowledged her biological father- -- I am not even sure she went to his death bed-- She always seemed spoiled and self indulgent and I am surprised that she has come through for needy people at this time. She has made a good life for herself and I am glad to know that she has become a caring person.

I'm in Louisville, Kentucky, and the remnants have been stuck on top of us all day. It's not pouring, but it's been an annoyingly steady rain fiasco. The wind gusts have been making the power go on and off, and it's overall just a soggy, gloomy mess.
The big Louder Than Life music festival is supposed to be going on here in town right now, and as of right now it's delayed indefinitely due to the high winds - they cant risk the stages and equipment being blown over and causing injuries or deaths. I feel bad for everyone who bought the weekend passes and/or are camping at the fairgrounds for it....doesn't look like it's going to happen today or tomorrow, honestly. And if it does, I can't even imagine what a sloppy, muddy nightmare it would be to attend...I went last year and it was a blast, but I'm not about to be smashed up against thousands of other people drenched in that lovely concoction of rain, sweat, mud and god only knows what else.
Mother nature won this one!! it is too bad all those plans had to be scrapped-----

1727465127872.png
More than 50 people are awaiting rescue on the roof of an Erwin, Tennessee, hospital after dangerous flooding brought on by Tropical Storm Helene forced their evacuation.

Staff and the 11 patients at Unicoi County Hospital were evacuated Friday morning because of "unusually high and rising water from the Nolichucky River," Ballad Health, which owns the hospital, wrote on social media.

Moo .Tennessee cocke county, is evacuating

“Downtown Newport ordered to evacuate after Waterview Dam fails​

Hannah Moore
3 hours ago
NEWPORT, Tenn. (WATE) — Cocke County Mayor Rob Mathis is urging people to “relocate immediately” if they are near water and to not drive into water.

At 2:56 p.m., Mathis said that the Waterview Dam suffered a catastrophic failure and ordered all of downtown Newport to evacuate.”

“Flash Report #2 Hurricane Helene​

Friday, September 27, 2024 | 11:55am
KEY HIGHLIGHTS

• Unicoi County Hospital is inundated and patients and staff are being evacuated; however, the evacuations are complicated by the Nolichucky River, which is rapidly rising and full of debris.
  • Local officials in Washington County have told Embreeville residents to evacuate.
  • Hawkins County officials have told residents to shelter-in-place.
  • Northeast Tennessee continues to be impacted by flooding. If you live in a flood prone area, please find higher ground, evacuate if you are told to, and stay informed of the evolving situation.
  • Sheltering locations can be found on TEMA’s website.
  • Many roadways have been impacted by flooding. Before going out, visit TDOT’s SmartWay website.”

“Tropical Depression Helene live updates: At least 33 dead as storm churns over Southeast​

Helene made landfall as a dangerous Category 4 hurricane in Florida’s Big Bend region at about 11:10 p.m. ET on Thursday.

What we know about Tropical Depression Helene​

• Helene has weakened to a tropical depression and is moving north across the Southeast, bringing strong winds and heavy rain in what the National Hurricane Center called "life-threatening" conditions.
  • At 2 p.m. ET the storm was 125 miles southeast of Louisville, Kentucky, with sustained winds of 35 mph.
  • The storm made landfall in Florida's Big Bend region as a Category 4 storm last night at 11:10 p.m. Emergency services are rescuing people trapped by fast-rising waters.
  • At least 33 deaths across the Southeast have been reported as a result of the storm.
  • Over 3 million people are without power across Florida, Georgia and South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia amid fears that outages could last weeks.
10m ago / 3:24 PM EDT

Tennessee dam suffers 'catastrophic failure,' resulting in immediate evacuations​

Minyvonne Burke
All of downtown Newport, Tennessee, is under immediate evacuation after the Waterville Dam suffered "a catastrophic failure," Cocke County Mayor Rob Mathis said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slowloris
Back