2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I will advise people on the Gulf Coast to keep their heads up. Models are predicting that a new disturbance will form in the Caribbean and will pose a threat starting next week.

The GFS is forecasting a strong Category 1 hurricane hitting Florida's panhandle. The big 945-mb circle on the right is future Kirk which won't threaten land.

Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 17-18-42 GFS Model – MSLP Norm. Anomaly for North Atlantic Tropical T...png

bbm
According to NOLA.com, Helene was larger than roughly 90% of all other storms to form in the last 20 years. The National Hurricane Center has used Helene extensively, 24 times throughout the decades, but there will be no more. Hurricane Helene will now be formally retired

View attachment 534202

An American flag flies over the destroyed city hall in the aftermath of Hurricane Helene, in Horseshoe Beach.

View attachment 534203

The ruins of city hall are seen in the aftermath of Hurricane Helene, in Horseshoe Beach, Florida.

:(
It's shocking and heart-breaking to see the extreme damage and destruction caused by Helene in the Appalachians. Homes, roads, bridges gone. Recovery is going to take a long, long time. I'm in central NC so the mountains are just a few hours from us. I can hardly take in what has happened.

"The southeastern United States
has been plunged into crisis as the aftermath of Hurricane Helene continues to wreak havoc across multiple states.

A staggering 2.5 million customers across South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and Virginia
remain without power,
according to PowerOutage.us.

The power outages have sparked scenes of chaos,
with desperate families lining up outside gas stations
and reports emerging of roving mobs stealing generators."

Last edited:
73 people are unaccounted for in Unicoi County, Tennessee.Search and rescue crews continue to do welfare checks.Cell service is out in many areas.

In Unicoi County, Tennessee the wastewater treatment plant is inoperable after the floods.Wastewater is flowing through the plant and draining into area waterways untreated.

In Greene County, Tennessee all the water pumps were destroyed. The only water left is what is in storage tanks -- which is expected to run out today.Residents asked to conserve water.Greeneville Water Commission says it could be a week before emergency pumps are operational.

North Carolina Dept. of Emergency Management says to call 1-888-892-1162 to report a missing person or request a welfare check.Press 1 to reach an operator.

Locals tell me I-26 out of Asheville, NC is pretty clear.Slow going for about 50 miles -- but if you can get to I-26...it's a way out.

Buncombe County, North Carolina that's home to Asheville has confirmed 30 storm-related deaths linked to Helene, according to the Sheriff.

1/2
From The White House: FEMA Administrator and Homeland Security Advisor briefed President Biden on the ongoing impacts of Hurricane Helene.Biden directed them to determine "what more can be done to accelerate support" to isolated communities.

2/2
FEMA Administrator Deanne Criswell will travel to North Carolina tomorrow.The President also advised the FEMA Administrator that as soon as it will not disrupt emergency response operations, he intends to travel this week to impacted communities.

CNN is reporting the death toll has climbed to 90 souls lost.

At least 93 dead across 6 states: Deaths have been reported in South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia and Tennessee. At least 36 people are dead in North Carolina, according to county and state officials. At least 25 are dead in South Carolina, including two firefighters in Saluda County, authorities said. In Georgia, at least 17 people have died, two of them killed by a tornado in Alamo, according to a spokesperson for Gov. Brian Kemp. In Florida, at least 11 people have died, Gov. Ron DeSantis said Saturday, including several people who drowned in Pinellas County. Two people have died in Virginia, officials said Sunday, and two deaths were reported in Tennessee.

Oh my god

1,000 people reported unaccounted for in North Carolina county hit hardest by Hurricane Helene

More than 1,000 people have been reported unaccounted for in a devastated North Carolina county where 30 people have already been confirmed dead after Hurricane Helene, officials said Sunday.

Authorities in Buncombe County reported the horrifying toll in an emergency meeting announcing emergency medical shelters and ongoing rescue efforts in areas almost overwhelmed by stormwater.

They also announced a special website to appeal for help finding those unaccounted for — with “more than 1,000 reports so far,” one local official told the live-streamed meeting.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hey2you22
Back