317 Pages Released, Where are the other 274???

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
WTH, since when does the media get to decide what info is relevent and/or pertinent concerning this case?
That rubs me the wrong way as well. Getting mighty close to censorship IMO.

On one level, they do this with any information they decide to publish or not..however, when they get information under the FOIA it seems a$$-backwards for them to then censor that information. :waitasec:

Freedom's just another word for 591 dollars to kinkos....lmao

Here is a link to the pdf file on the FL State Attorney General's website regarding Law Enforcement's requirements and public records. Interesting reading.
And from what I'm reading (halfway down or so), public records must be made available by the agency that is holding them. (Not Kinko's, imho--you should be able to request the records from OCSO directly and they must provide them. Tho Kinko's is probably not doing anything wrong offering them too, but I'm guessing). Just my interpretation tho.

2008 Edition
A Guide For Law Enforcement Agencies

http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/WF/MRAY-7E8QJ6/$file/2008LEGuide.pdf

Or...

http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/main/88e69acfa331282f85256cc60075759e!OpenDocument

Click on the pdf

Freedom's just another word for 591 dollars to kinkos....lmao

36_11_6.gif

And they have the nerve to call it Freedom of Information. Not according to kinkos. How did kinkos get a monopoly on this anyway? $591 sounds outrageous for an e-copy.

ETA: I guess the above post indicates they don't have said monopoly. Is OCSO the only other place available at this time?

36_11_6.gif

And they have the nerve to call it Freedom of Information. Not according to kinkos. How did kinkos get a monopoly on this anyway? $591 sounds outrageous for an e-copy.

It is just my opinion, but I think it's wrong to be referred to Kinko's when public agency themselves are charged by statute with the duty to provide all public records not exempt by law.

Maybe someone just got lazy (or overwhelmed) and, knowing Kinko's had a copy, referred to them. I just don't understand this and since I'm a huge public records/1st Amendment/FL Sunshine Law freak (lol), I'm real curious.

It is just my opinion, but I think it's wrong to be referred to Kinko's when public agency themselves are charged by statute with the duty to provide all public records not exempt by law.

Maybe someone just got lazy (or overwhelmed) and, knowing Kinko's had a copy, referred to them. I just don't understand this and since I'm a huge public records/1st Amendment freak (lol), I'm real curious.
If you are well versed enough on the public's right to access then maybe you can give someone a call or e-mail. It sure seems between the media and kinko's there are major obstacles for your average citizen to access this information. At this point it appears the FOIA applies only to the media and the wealthy.

In this case we are only talking about $200 some odd dollars. We have already seen the first 317 pages.
IMO people are reacting to the fact one would have to pay for that information at all, not necessarily the amount. It is still a lot of coin for your average Joe to put down in order to have access to this information.

If you are well versed enough on the public's right to access then maybe you can give someone a call or e-mail. It sure seems between the media and kinko's there are major obstacles for your average citizen to access this information. At this point it appears the FOIA applies only to the media and the wealthy.

I've already started e-mailing with inquiries. :)

I'm not saying Kinko's is wrong in offering the material. Heck, I could acquire the records and request a payment for e-mailing them. But what I think is wrong is the agency referring someone requesting public records to Kinko's rather than handle it themselves. I'll see what, if anything, I can find out. Sometimes there's a quick reply upon inquiry and other times....

Alright I was going to go down and pick one up - called them and they asked what organization I was with, and that is was only available to news organizations, attorneys and such? Not to the public?

Quick, anybody have a legitimate organization I can be a part of?

According to Amy's statements, JP isn't much to do with the story and DOESN"T LIKE CASEY. Maybe he didn't have anything to add to make a case so WHY release it to Jose? kwim?

I'm not saying Kinko's is wrong in offering the material. Heck, I could acquire the records and request a payment for e-mailing them. But what I think is wrong is the agency referring someone requesting public records to Kinko's rather than handle it themselves. I'll see what, if anything, I can find out. Sometimes there's a quick reply upon inquiry and other times....

The original document was taken to Kinko's directly by the DA and at his request that is how they (the DA's office) wanted the document handled.

This is what Kinko's just told me on the phone.

I agree, I'm not blaming Kinko's at all. I was just concerned they were the only place someone could get the info. Is there a copy available somewhere that a person could physically go to and view? It would seem there would be, but you never know.

The original document was taken to Kinko's directly by the DA and at his request that is how they (the DA's office) wanted the document handled.

So if the DA outsourced the handling of the doc to Kinko's, should,'t the DA be the one paying for them to distribute it?

I called the FL Atty Gen. office. Got transferred twice and on hold for short bit. I killed them with kindness and got the number for the "Freedom of Information Center". She came back and said I have to contact the Orange County Courts. I questioned that with the fact that they were released by the Fl. Atty General's office and got put back on hold again while she "researches that"...

She came back again and says she will give me the number for the Florida Atty General's office!! (do these people have a brain?) Kinkos is looking better to me. I argued again, again on hold. She comes back and gives me a number for Orange County Courts only it isn't. I call and it's a County Commissioner's office who says they have nothing to do with the release of information and to call the Orange County Sheriff....yeesh. Will keep working and post what I eventually find - ABSOLUTELY lol (new here, first post - I live in Brevard County FL - 1 hr away from Orlando)

Alright I was going to go down and pick one up - called them and they asked what organization I was with, and that is was only available to news organizations, attorneys and such? Not to the public?

It is a public document, you have the right to it.

But, if you need a compnay name, PM me and I will let you use mine.

Attorneys I can understand but why is the media allowed access and not the public?

ETA: A legitimate organization other than the media? That sounds even worse. Now just being a member of the public isn't "legitimate" enough? OK, I need to know who are the legitimate organizations?

I am willing to pick it and scan the missing pages, if someone can make arrangements to obtain it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalto677
Back