4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #83

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MOO:

Lack of Victims' DNA
I'm not surprised about the lack of DNA evidence from the victims in places/on things that were tested in BK's environments after the murders. I believe he was super careful about not doing that (carrying their DNA away from the house where they were murdered) and was wearing all manner of protective clothing and gear that were impermeable membranes that protected his person from contamination, and/or had a kill kit, and/or was 'undressed' beforehand, etc. And had a plan beforehand that he single mindedly executed to keep from collecting victim DNA, and then doffed it all (bloody items), properly handling them with layers of gloves and rolling inside out and stepping it off directly into plastic bags, etc., that went into a plastic lined container.

Before he got in his car that was probably also covered in plastic, and got rid of it all along with the murder weapon somewhere like the river on his way back to WA, aka he planned that clean getaway. It's not that hard to accomplish, IMO, and there are other cases like this I've heard of and will look for and post to backup my opinion if and when I can if similar enough to this case to be of interest. Plus he was a student of criminology, so he would probably know what he was doing in that area.

Protective Order (PO)
The PO has always been in the back of my mind and I'm not so sure about it, and whether it's an important aspect of this case.

However, in terms of it being a legal tool implemented up front by LE to put in place protection for the victim's families and associates and everyone on the LE and prosecution side of things, I do, if that's what the initial intent was for putting it in place.

It's a given, IMO, the PO, when a quadruple homicide suspect is considered incredibly dangerous and involved in incredibly heinous crimes, it's a "stand down" kind of thing, if I understand it correctly.

I have been noticing new references to it lately in the court docs. Which has made me wonder if it's a reputation tarnishing issue that the defense must object to out of duty to protect BK's right to a fair trial, now that they've had a chance to look through the evidence and don't see anything they feel justifies it. Like lack of victim DNA around his premises/vehicle after the murders, contact or communication with them and associates, etc., as mentioned in the motion.

But all of this, the latest motion from the defense about the PO and basis for it, IMO, is grandstanding and pricking the sleeping giant that is the substance of the Grand Jury indictment they're not aware of what and what constitutes the prosecution's case against him, that they think they deserve to see. Even though GJs are confidential.

The evidence presented by the prosecution to the Judge that empaneled the GJ and what was presented by the prosecution to the GJ that indicted BK as a suspect, on all 5 felony charges, at which point he became a defendant in this case, is at the heart of the matter, or it's going to be.

MOO

Surely LE would have tested the DD driver - most likely one of the first they would have ruled in or out.

"While this was ongoing, police were investigating many various possible suspects. Many
of them provided DNA. At least one had his DNA surreptitiously taken from a discarded cigarette. Many also had their phones taken and downloaded."

Copy/pasted from:
BBM. Of course! Evidently, the Defense wants it all produced because she is trying to influence public opinion and interject doubt in the public's mind. I wish her luck.

I wonder at what point BK realized he didn't have that knife sheath?

JMO

BBM. Of course! Evidently, the Defense wants it all produced because she is trying to influence public opinion and interject doubt in the public's mind. I wish her luck.

I wonder at what point BK realized he didn't have that knife sheath?

JMO
It seems to me that they're trying to find out if the three unknown male dna samples were run thru CODIS and/or submitted for genealogical "testing." They know those samples weren't BK's, and I'm reading it that they weren't from those who submitted their DNA to LE. If that is true, why weren't the unknown male samples checked to determine who they belonged to?

Edited to add: Sorry, seeing they were run thru CODIS, but was that it?

Last edited:
JJJ did an excellent job IMO
I like that he added this part under what could be said by attorneys.

j. statement that reasonable lawyer would believe is required to protect client from the substantial undue prejudicial effect of recent publicity not initiated by the lawyer or the lawyer’s client. Any such statement shall be limited to such information as is necessary to mitigate the recent adverse publicity

Revised Amended Nondissemination Order
MOO

From the Objection to States Motion for protective order:

By December l7, 2022, lab analysts were aware of two additional males’ DNA within the house where the deceased were located, and another unknown male DNA on glove found outside the residence on November 20, 2022. To this date, the Defense is unaware of what sort of testing, if any, was conducted on these samples other than the STR DNA profiles. Further, these three separate and distinct male DNA profiles were not identified through CODIS leading to the conclusion that the profiles do not belong to Mr. Kohberger.

MOO Shades of Suzanne Morphew, and the Iris Eytan defense.

It seems to me that they're trying to find out if the three unknown male dna samples were run thru CODIS and/or submitted for genealogical "testing." They know those samples weren't BK's, and I'm reading it that they weren't from those who submitted their DNA to LE. If that is true, why weren't the unknown male samples checked to determine who they belonged to?

Edited to add: Sorry, seeing they were run thru CODIS, but was that it?

I can imagine with so many visitors to this house, there would be a lot to tweeze apart and test so I'm sure they did as much as possible?!

I can imagine with so many visitors to this house, there would be a lot to tweeze apart and test so I'm sure they did as much as possible?!

You're right, which means if what the defense says is true, then there are a lot of questions about the 3 that weren't identified. I'm sure the prosecution did what they could, but 3 other mysterious DNA samples, allegedly coming from 3 unknown men, were found on scene, which means that if true, 3 unknown people who were at the home weren't cleared. Couple that with no victim DNA in his car, apartment, or office and that's a pretty big thing to ask a jury to overlook.

MOO.

You're right, which means if what the defense says is true, then there are a lot of questions about the 3 that weren't identified. I'm sure the prosecution did what they could, but 3 other mysterious DNA samples, allegedly coming from 3 unknown men, were found on scene, which means that if true, 3 unknown people who were at the home weren't cleared. Couple that with no victim DNA in his car, apartment, or office and that's a pretty big thing to ask a jury to overlook.

MOO.

Sadly, couldn't agree more case for reasonable doubt and I don't even want to say that out loud. But it's early, there's a lot more to come and I'm going to try to sit tight. IMO.

MOO.
MOO the jury will evaluate evidence reasonably, which means DNA in the sheath of a murder weapon found beneath a victim is exponentially more important than random DNA.

Iris Eytan ran with a similar thing (along with confusing an older FBI agemt on the stand) to get Barry Morphew off. She also benefited from an under experienced DA.

The prosecutors in Idaho look much more capable and MOO if BK did it, they will prosecute effectively.

Last edited:
IMO, the possibility that in 15 minutes, this guy entered the home, killed 4 occupants, planted the DNA of 3 separate individuals, including a random DNA-laced glove, and took the time to clean himself up of any victim blood or victim DNA before getting in his car and high-tailing it out of there is about as close to 0 as possible.

If all these documents are accurate, the prosecution is in huge trouble.

MOO.
Why. Crimes are fast, commitment to the violence is everything.

I agree it would be good to get those profiles cleared, but it isnt completely necessary as the other facts are very clear.
It seems like it would be a given that they would have tested them, esp considering they were getting DNA samples from assorted people (including from a tossed cigarette). I'm literally floored that they didn't.

Edited because you replied. It does seem like they ran them thru CODIS, but why did they stop there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue210