4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #84

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly hate the thought of the death penalty, it seems antiquated, painful, regressive, a salt in the wound, more agony to add upon the agony... But the victims families and friends? ..their agony never ends...some will feel safer knowing he is gone..others will never feel safer.

does it work as a deterrent? I don't know...but whenever I see a killer like this, any killer of women and children..a man who comes in the night as a slasher... my first inclination says we must put this man down...let's not wait for god's judgement but hasten it along... why should he have time to make peace and repent? what chance did he give to others?

I don't think this was his first time either... and if they put him to death, I can have peace with it mOO

That's exactly what came to my mind. For the sister to file a report (which is my belief that she did), she probably thought at first it was a stranger theft (maybe not!) But filing a report means this isn't just a case of Little Brother borrowing the phone to play games, evade ground or to make a call.

It is not clear that the sister ever got her phone back, either.

So yeah, selling the phone fits. As to the overall timeline, we get the TapATalk posts and a run-down of his neurological/mental symptoms; then we get "rehab" (sometimes rumored to be something else), amidst various mentions of heroin addiction and personality change and dramatic weight loss. Rehab is expensive. There are two parental bankruptcies on this timeline as well (MSM early on). I find it hard to believe that Kohberger's first theft was from his sister, I still have the strong suspicion that he was out and about at night, creeping, peeping, stalking, cold casing, hot casing, etc. Then there are his unsuccessful attempts at app-based dating in there somewhere, as well (the woman with the "child-bearing" hips whom he followed to her bathroom door, where she feigned illness in order to get him to leave). There's that incident (can't remember where), when he was asked to leave a restaurant or bar for being systematically inappropriate to one woman (or a few women, can't remember).

That's the early phase. Then we have him following a woman to her car in Pullman, going into a woman's house to provide "security," and a woman who "stormed out" of a grad seminar due to his behavior. A fellow grad student said he seemed to have a problem "with women." This stuff is post-facto, of course. I don't think the rehab/heroin use/TapATalk confessions/phone theft are post-facto.

I really hope fervently that he has committed his last crimes.

See, this is the list of stuff that gets me to realize this is the guy. It's weirdly reassuring. It's also escalating. I know this is a human being struggling and trying new angles and just not getting it right, taking more chances, being more offensive, never grasping his interactions with women are questionable at best. I don't want to pick on him but it paints a picture of someone with a very damaged perception of the world, themselves, others. JMOO

If he is the perpetrator of this heinous crime may he be brought to justice.
However, those who advocate our civil liberties and right to privacy should be very wary about the methods and sequence of such methods the FBI deployed (local LE was just along for the ride).
As I mentioned a few months ago, if he is found guilty, absent to some fate befalling him while incarcerated, this case will likely wind-up dragging on for years, perhaps all the way to the SCOTUS. This has all the markings of becoming a test case.

I agree with you that there are serious constitutional questions regarding genetic genealogy that are likely to become subject to court cases for years to come. And I say this as a genetic genealogist (amateur, not professional, helping people find biological family). While my husband has not done a dna kit and therefore has not opted into his dna being used by law enforcement, our kids have done them and he has many relatives who have also. So, even though he hasn't provided his dna and he hasn't given consent for law enforcement to have his dna, they do in fact have access to his dna.

I also agree with those who believe the motions to obtain the materials regarding the genetic genealogy investigation are primarily to look for flaws in the process and to lay a foundation for future court proceedings surrounding civil liberties. They presumably have BK's dna profile. They can load it into GEDmatch and use their own experts to build a tree around it and demonstrate the sample doesn't lead to him if it doesn't. With some decent matches, I could probably come up with his name in a few hours. They may have already done that. So they're going to look for flaws in the process, not the result.

That all said, I also agree with those who think the case is strong. His dna is on the sheath. Do I believe touch dna can come from an uninvolved party--sure. If the dna was from someone who worked in amazon shipping, or at the counter of a store that sells them, I would dismiss the dna evidence completely. Then you have the possibility of the sheath having belonged to BK, but lost and used by someone else to commit the crime. The defense will surely bring that up in the form of questions for the witnesses on the stand--"Could the sheath have been left by someone other than BK?" Unless he testifies, the defense can really only present hypotheticals to explain the presence of his dna--could this have happened, could that have happened? And it will be up to the jury to use their own common sense--does that seem likely? And then you pair it with the movements of his phone that night. It seems less and less likely with each layer of evidence that his dna just happened to be found on the sheath but he wasn't there or responsible.

Which brings me to the car--my thoughts on revisions regarding what car, what year--to me it all depends on when they received the results for the genetic genealogy investigation. Did they have a name first or settled on the correct car first? I don't think we know? Obviously, if they had a name and then revised what car they were looking for based on what BK drove--complete garbage evidence and would make me side eye everything else. That's putting it mildly but I'll leave it at that lol. If they landed on the correct car/year before having a name--that's solid evidence to me, even if they revised it as they consulted more experts. As a juror, it wouldn't matter to me that they changed their mind as long as they came to their final conclusion before they had BKs name and knew what he drove.

Actually, I've never said he was innocent. I've said that I have no doubt he's guilty of something, whether it's stalking or murder, I'm not sure, but I'm not 100% sold on him being the one and only murderer or that I'm not sure if he's guilty or murder or not. In fact, SEVERAL times I've said that if he's guilty, I don't believe he acted alone. I've also said I hope he actually is guilty and isn't just a scapegoat. I honestly don't remember ever saying he's innocent.

You said:

I'm saying I can't be sure he's guilty and I'm voting not guilty. It takes one juror

I took this to mean you see him as innocent.

A juror voting not guilty means they think he is innocent or not enough evidence.

So you think he is guilty but not BARD.

Only a trial can prove BARD, that I agree with.

Last edited:
I guess this is currently happening, as opposed to just newly *released*?

Such sad images. The terrible events that transpired in that building reverberate so loudy, even today. It's as though the building is still telling the story from behind those boarded-up windows, the overgrown foliage and now black tarps.

Perhaps this is the beginning of the end for the building. Maybe any remaining contents are being removed in advance of demolition. It seems unlikely, to me, that there would be any evidentiary contents still stored there at this point.

I’m actually surprised he hasn’t played the “and now I shall represent myself” card. Maybe that’s waiting in the wings.
MOO he will keep his defense team.
If he is steering it will be toward fighting hard in the trial but depending on ultimate exhoneration by appeal, i.e. successfully appealing on procedure.
Meaning getting away with it by using the appelate system.

I truly hate the thought of the death penalty, it seems antiquated, painful, regressive, a salt in the wound, more agony to add upon the agony... But the victims families and friends? ..their agony never ends...some will feel safer knowing he is gone..others will never feel safer.

does it work as a deterrent? I don't know...but whenever I see a killer like this, any killer of women and children..a man who comes in the night as a slasher... my first inclination says we must put this man down...let's not wait for god's judgement but hasten it along... why should he have time to make peace and repent? what chance did he give to others?

I don't think this was his first time either... and if they put him to death, I can have peace with it mOO
MOO the death penalty keeps convicted murderer busy and hopeful. I personally prefer life in supermax with no chance of parole.
Which is a "death sentence," just a really slow death in place of a quick one.

See, this is the list of stuff that gets me to realize this is the guy. It's weirdly reassuring. It's also escalating. I know this is a human being struggling and trying new angles and just not getting it right, taking more chances, being more offensive, never grasping his interactions with women are questionable at best. I don't want to pick on him but it paints a picture of someone with a very damaged perception of the world, themselves, others. JMOO
I'd be very, very interested to see a map of his cell phone movements - IMO they'd have to blow that map up something like the largest movie screen there is - IMO if he is the murderer, he did A Lot of stalking-driving.

My guess is that the land owner thought all the reporters would be over at the little courthouse and the owner could do what needs to get done without standing out like a sore thumb; but IMO the owner is totally calling everyone's attention to that house - is there some sort of subset of humans who would choose to buy that house - Annie from Misery, the Munsters.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991