4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #84

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the PCA and his reported behavior in PA at his parent's house, I am 85% sure he is guilty. Prosecutor is probably 100% sure and the defense, if honest, would probably be 70% sure themselves... but that is not their job. Their job is to serve their client and get the best deal possible.
Well said.

I looked up expunged records mainly because I thought that meant they were destroyed and no longer available to anyone.

From the article mentioning BKs expunged record:

Bryan Kohberger's earlier run-in with the law, as described in these records, is only now coming to light, as he prepares to defend himself against charges he killed four University of Idaho students last fall.

According to the records, Bryan Kohberger was 19 years old when he was arrested for the alleged theft in 2014. He served no jail time, according to officials.There is now no public record of that arrest or the outcome of the case.

Monroe County, Pennsylvania, offers first-time offenders the opportunity to enter into a pretrial program called "Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition," which allows for charges to be dropped and the record to be "expunged" once the accused successfully completes probation.
BBM
Thanks for posting this; I was wondering the same thing; I.e.even though the Pennsylvania phone theft record was expunged to the Public, was it still on file somewhere for law enforcement, the military etc.? And your post high-lighted below continued on to answer my question - yes it is available to FBI and others, and it should be disclosed in certain situations such as the military, financial, and law enforcement.

I don’t know if this the case or not, but it seems like BK would have to disclose this past arrest to enter a PHD program in criminal justice? Or when he put in an application for the internship with the local Police in Pullman? Or in the future when graduating and seeking a law enforcement job or similar with a security clearance. I doubt that theft committed when he was 19 years old can be used against him in court unless it somehow gets introduced by a witness relating to his character. MOO

Can Anyone Access My Records After Expungement?

If your record is sealed or expunged in Pennsylvania, it will no longer be visible to the general public, including potential employers. Expungement removes your criminal and arrest record from public records as well as the Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Repository.​

However, your record will remain in the FBI database, and it may remain in some private databases. Similarly, sealing your record will prohibit law enforcement agencies from disclosing your criminal records in most employment situations. However, law enforcement agencies and other employers that must consider criminal histories under federal law, and those who use FBI background checks can still see your sealed criminal records, and you must disclose them. For example, if you work in the financial industry, for the military, or need to obtain a security clearance, you must disclose your criminal history even if a court-ordered your records expunged or sealed. However, routine employer, landlord, and other background checks will not contain these criminal records, and you will not be legally required to disclose them

Thanks for posting this; I was wondering the same thing; I.e.even though the Pennsylvania phone theft record was expunged to the Public, was it still on file somewhere for law enforcement, the military etc.? And your post high-lighted below continued on to answer my question - yes it is available to FBI and others, and it should be disclosed in certain situations such as the military, financial, and law enforcement.

I don’t know if this the case or not, but it seems like BK would have to disclose this past arrest to enter a PHD program in criminal justice? Or when he put in an application for the internship with the local Police in Pullman? Or in the future when graduating and seeking a law enforcement job or similar with a security clearance. I doubt that theft committed when he was 19 years old can be used against him in court unless it somehow gets introduced by a witness relating to his character. MOO
I doubt a Ph.D. program application would ask about criminal history (except that everybody may ask these days.) If it did, I think applicants could likely in good conscience leave out expunged records (depending on how the question was phrased.) I think grad school apps would fall into the "other" category quoted: "However, routine employer, landlord, and other background checks will not contain these criminal records, and you will not be legally required to disclose them." I don't think the fact the program was CJ makes any difference.
JMO

Since 2016, there has been a movement to "ban the box" related to the question about an applicant's criminal history on university applications, and the U.S. Department of Education is strongly urging universities to do so.

It may depend on the state at this point, as here in Ohio we do ask for this information on students' application forms. Applicants have to check a box if they have been convicted of any criminal charges.

Last edited:

Moscow home set to be destroyed this summer​

Students will return to the U of I campus in late August for the start of the fall semester.

“We hope to have the house down before school starts,” Jodi Walker, the university’s spokesperson, said by email. “We don’t yet have a date for demolition. We continue to work through the process.”

Four University of Idaho students were stabbed to death at the large, off-campus rental home on King Road in Moscow on Nov. 13, 2022, as seen here on May 22, 2023. The university is moving forward with plans to demolish the structure.

I doubt a Ph.D. program application would ask about criminal history (except that everybody may ask these days.) If it did, I think applicants could likely in good conscience leave out expunged records (depending on how the question was phrased.) I think grad school apps would fall into the "other" category quoted: "However, routine employer, landlord, and other background checks will not contain these criminal records, and you will not be legally required to disclose them." I don't think the fact the program was CJ makes any difference.
JMO
Apparently Washington State is one of the states that passed legislation that would "ban the box," meaning that on applications they would not place a box to check off to answer the question about the existence of any former criminal charges in an application to a public university.

This legislation was passed in 2018 as "Washington’s 2018 Fair Chance in Higher Education Act," a bill that banned the box in Washington state colleges and universities.

So BK would not have had to disclose his former criminal charge on his application.

Last edited:
Apparently Washington State is one of the states that passed legislation that would "ban the box," meaning that on applications they would not place a box to check off to answer the question about the existence of any former criminal charges in an application to a public university.

This legislation was passed in 2018 as "Washington’s 2018 Fair Chance in Higher Education Act," a bill that banned the box in Washington state colleges and universities.

So BK would not have had to disclose his former criminal charge on his application.
Glad you found that.

NC has not banned the box but instructions do say applicants do not have to disclose "expunged" or "sealed" records. For Higher Ed, I think it's pretty common to say that when criminal history is asked about.
JMO

Thanks for the info regarding the educational application info allowed. I still wonder about the Police internship program he applied for though. He most likely would have his fingerprints on file with the FBI database and with law enforcement that would raise a red flag. I don’t think he made it that far though in the application process;,perhaps if he had been accepted and subject to testing, ID checks, etc. they might see the previous theft charge that was publicly expunged.

Thanks for the info regarding the educational application info allowed. I still wonder about the Police internship program he applied for though. He most likely would have his fingerprints on file with the FBI database and with law enforcement that would raise a red flag. I don’t think he made it that far though in the application process;,perhaps if he had been accepted and subject to testing, ID checks, etc. they might see the previous theft charge that was publicly expunged.
Good point about the LE internship program that BK applied for. Law enforcement agencies would be exempt from the state's "Fair Chance Act."

This law does not apply to employers hiring someone who will or may have unsupervised access to children, vulnerable adults, or vulnerable persons; Washington law enforcement or criminal justice agencies; financial institutions, national or registered securities entities, or other employers who are permitted or required by law to ask about and consider information about an applicant’s criminal record for employment purposes; or employers seeking non-employee volunteers.

BBM

This is a great post. You’ve taken something so technical and broken it down for the average person to understand. I appreciate your posts. When I see your name, I always stop and read. Thank you!

You are too kind. Teaching about genes is my favorite thing. Always something new to learn, so many mazes and patterns.

I know my explanations fall short of being perfect, in the technical sense. My consulting work has often been to explain the basics of DNA to LE, to various lawyers, and to psychologists. The real experts in genes (like Luca Cavalli-Sforza) are my heroes.

IMO, it seems MSM may have misled the general public about the actual evidence in this case and it is far from the slam dunk MSM has indicated. According to what Anne Taylor wrote, other than the DNA on the snap of the sheath, it appears the only other verified evidence of consequence that LE actually has is footage of one or more white cars which may or may not be BK's with an unknown driver and no license plate number and apparently no visual of the license plate from a distance despite having multiple videos of the car coming and going to/from Pullman and possibly the same vehicle circling around 1122 King Rd at least 4 times and the car making a 3 point turn in security camera video from an apartment complex nearby. I do wonder where is the video of the vehicle arriving in Moscow and driving over to 1122 King Rd? Surely it must have driven on more than just residential roads if it came from Pullman and then afterwards went down to Blaine. Surely there is/was video of the vehicle other than just in Pullman and just near 1122 King Rd. If there is no video of the vehicle getting on the highway towards Moscow, surely there is video of the vehicle arriving in Moscow and driving to the King Rd house.

The thing is, PA license plates are quite different from ID license plates:

PA license plates are Blue, White and Yellow horizontally striped with clean clear stripes and say Pennsylvania in the blue top stripe and visitPA.com on the bottom yellow stripe

By contrast, ID license plates are Red, White and Blue horizontally striped with a scenic image (usually a tree line and mountain range beyond the trees) in the white space and say Idaho in the top red stripe and something which can be customized in the bottom blue stripe.
ID: Idaho License Plate Lookup | ID Plate Number Check

I honestly don't see how a PA plate could be mistaken for an ID plate even at a distance, even at night. They are just too different. And with all the ways LE and the FBI could enhance an image, I find it really hard to believe they couldn't at least tell what kind of plate it was, if not the number. It really makes me wonder why the prosecution has not handed over all of the video of the Elantra to the defense and instead just given them some stills of the vehicle? Maybe LE never got any image of the license plate area on video, even during the 3 point turn, but I am concerned that they may not have gotten video of the vehicle arriving in Moscow, and what route they took to the house and what route they took from the house via videos on houses and businesses.

All IMOO.

IMO, it seems MSM may have misled the general public about the actual evidence in this case and it is far from the slam dunk MSM has indicated. According to what Anne Taylor wrote, other than the DNA on the snap of the sheath, it appears the only other verified evidence of consequence that LE actually has is footage of one or more white cars which may or may not be BK's with an unknown driver and no license plate number and apparently no visual of the license plate from a distance despite having multiple videos of the car coming and going to/from Pullman and possibly the same vehicle circling around 1122 King Rd at least 4 times and the car making a 3 point turn in security camera video from an apartment complex nearby. I do wonder where is the video of the vehicle arriving in Moscow and driving over to 1122 King Rd? Surely it must have driven on more than just residential roads if it came from Pullman and then afterwards went down to Blaine. Surely there is/was video of the vehicle other than just in Pullman and just near 1122 King Rd. If there is no video of the vehicle getting on the highway towards Moscow, surely there is video of the vehicle arriving in Moscow and driving to the King Rd house.

The thing is, PA license plates are quite different from ID license plates:

PA license plates are Blue, White and Yellow horizontally striped with clean clear stripes and say Pennsylvania in the blue top stripe and visitPA.com on the bottom yellow stripe

By contrast, ID license plates are Red, White and Blue horizontally striped with a scenic image (usually a tree line and mountain range beyond the trees) in the white space and say Idaho in the top red stripe and something which can be customized in the bottom blue stripe.
ID: Idaho License Plate Lookup | ID Plate Number Check

I honestly don't see how a PA plate could be mistaken for an ID plate even at a distance, even at night. They are just too different. And with all the ways LE and the FBI could enhance an image, I find it really hard to believe they couldn't at least tell what kind of plate it was, if not the number. It really makes me wonder why the prosecution has not handed over all of the video of the Elantra to the defense and instead just given them some stills of the vehicle? Maybe LE never got any image of the license plate area on video, even during the 3 point turn, but I am concerned that they may not have gotten video of the vehicle arriving in Moscow, and what route they took to the house and what route they took from the house via videos on houses and businesses.

All IMOO.
BK's phone records go with the car evidence.

The car evidence needs the phone evidence that shows his phone pings on towers where the car is seen. This was the main point in the PCA.

Together this is strong evidence.

Many posters knock the car evidence but won't touch the damning phone evidence with a 10 foot pole.

2 Cents

That is interesting although I think I do remember it was around 400. Is he worried who corroborated against him or looking for something more specific? It would be interesting to read that list. MOO
I was surprised by the 4000 tip(email/phone) difference between what MPD reported and what the state has provided the D. Maybe some of those tips went to a different agency?
I think the D would be looking through the tips and comparing them to the investigation process. Which tips were investigated? Were there any significant tips not investigated?
It would be interesting to read that list to see what type of tips (in general) people call/email in and to see the scope of work LE had to do to sift through them.
MOO

BK's phone records go with the car evidence.

The car evidence needs the phone evidence that shows his phone pings on towers where the car is seen. This was the main point in the PCA.

Together this is strong evidence.

Many posters knock the car evidence but won't touch the damning phone evidence with a 10 foot pole.

2 Cents
BBM. Phone+car+DNA on sheath+everything we haven't been told.

What you call "strong", I call, "Beyond a Reasonable Doubt." It is why his Defense is so desperate.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member