4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #84

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This case was so disturbing that I was sitting in a Microsoft Teams meeting halfway across the country when the notification popped up on my phone and disturbed me so badly…. I still remember the name of the meeting, the topic, and rhe people who were in there with me. I closed it out by brining up the case and I remember everyone’s shock and quick hot takes on the crime. I am in technology at a software company.

A bunch of criminology grad students who do nothing but eat, sleep, and study this stuff. Attending class. And a quadruple murder happens a hop skip and jump away from them. It’s national news. An immediate true crime sensation…I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that someone remembers who was there and who wasn’t. Whose perspective they got. Who was involved in what conversation. And those that sat near them that might have not been there. Regardless if BK was a suspect in their minds or not.

This was a flashbulb memory moment for many of us normal folks in this country. I can only imagine what it was a for a criminology PhD student down the street from the crime scene.

Evening hours just sounds like a way from discouraging students from coming in by making it inconvenient. This inconvenience moves into weird territory because by all indications it sounds like BK was a ghoulish woman hating creep.
Lastly, what’s more likely? That BK was so weird that he put off a bunch of really smart PhD students who were studying criminology? Or that BK was the one who was totally normal and this bunch were really the awful ones?

Snipped by me.

My disclaimer is that I didn't listen to the ABC podcast, but if these comments came after his arrest, what's plausible to me is what happens to a lot of people arrested or implicated in a murder, thanks to social media. Suddenly, anything and everything about the person comes to light and even seemingly innocent things are turned into nefarious plots, like his office setup. Even his evening hours can be explained. We know he's a night owl, per all the MSM reports. We know some students require evening hours (I did as I worked throughout college and was never an 8-3 student). So seems logical a person who prefers evening hours would be the one to sign up for evening hours. But suddenly, it's interpreted as a way to discourage students from attending just because we now know what we do about him.

This is why there's a gag order.

MOO.

MIO Evening office hours are not friendly, and going to a TAs office at night sounds iffy. A convenience for himself.

So what about students who go to school at night? Many of my pre-med labs were at night with office hours either immediately before or after. Are those students who work just out of luck? Or are the TAs who want to accommodate those students weird? I don't know. Anything can be made to sound bad after an arrest.

MOO.

For those who say he had been planning this for awhile, do you believe he was planning to murder these specific victims, or just murder someone ? How long did the victims live at this address ? My daughter moved almost every year while she was in college. I never understood the theory on why he targeted these poor victims. What does everyone think is behind that ? He was quite older than all of them, I wouldn’t think he would be out or online meeting 20 year olds, but who knows.
IF BK developed a habit of breaking and entering and/or stalking and/or sleep watching (not walking, watching), he may have developed a god complex, feeling powerful in the knowledge that the sleeping individual was unaware of his presence and fantasizing about how easily he could exact what he was thinking...

Frightening.

It makes ME wonder if he had stood over people who were sleeping and they never knew...for decades.

So, to answer your question, yes. I think he planned this killing (with one target IMO) but he'd been imagining killing for years. IMO it was psychosexual for him.

Jmo

Last edited:
@Megnut
If even a sprinkle of that is true. I would like his family to come forward and show us their pain. Could be years of suffering with him. Yikes! I don't agree or disagree completely but would hope that this breaks the ranks. When you think about it that's really the most extreme route you can take if you were mad at the world heroin would be far nicer and it's not recommended for anyone. It's possible his lack of self-love merely caught up to him and he wanted everyone else to feel his rage. Yowza! JMOO.

@Megnut
If even a sprinkle of that is true. I would like his family to come forward and show us their pain. Could be years of suffering with him. Yikes! I don't agree or disagree completely but would hope that this breaks the ranks. When you think about it that's really the most extreme route you can take if you were mad at the world heroin would be far nicer and it's not recommended for anyone. It's possible his lack of self-love merely caught up to him and he wanted everyone else to feel his rage. Yowza! JMOO.
You live with someone like that, IMO you lose perspective over time. Great energy goes into trying to keep him happy/stable because you think it's possible. Keep controlling his environment so nothing sets him off.

There was probably great relief when he moved away and seemed finally successful.

Jmo

I was curious about this "Bryan Tally" list so I listened to the ABC podcast episode titled "Who is Bryan Kohberger" (The King Road Killings, Episode 4), posted above.

The context is that a PHD student in Bryan's class (who doesn't want to be identified and wouldn't let her voice be used in the audio podcast) told the reporter that some of the students felt that BK showed disrespect toward female professors, so they kept a tally of these behaviors, like how many times BK interrupted female professors, how many times he skipped class, etc.
This discussion on the podcast starts just after the 28 minute mark.

Also, the information on when BK would react with anger and knuckles turn white in a class was discussed by fellow PHD student as being related to when he had "points docked" in a class.

So this is more context for the "Bryan Tally" and the "white knuckles" reported in the podcast.

Thank you for this context.

There was one person in particular they made sure wasn't alone with him. I'm not certain I remember exactly why, so I won't say and confuse the discussion. I do remember that what they tracked wasn't just about student interactions with him. For example, they also tracked how often he interrupted female professors.

Did they say they kept track of how often he interrupted male professors? Or how many female vs male professors he had?

BBM. Considering what BK is now accused of, I don’t consider the grads’ behavior to be “cutesy or ”immature.” IMO the “clique” was practicing self preservation.

IMO, keeping track of how many times he interrupts female professors or how many times he cuts class isn't self preservation.

BK by all accounts had domineering aggressive behavior.
Before WSU and obviously at WSU.

MOO His main issue apparently was with a male professor. Did I get this wrong, was his advising professor a woman?

Also why would students not note a TA who interrupted professors?

These criminology students were exposed to a alleged killer in their class. They noticed behaviors.

One thing about a lot of killers of women is that they have noticable issues in general with "women."

MOO these issues are why killers of women often complain that the "attractive women" won't date them.
Their issues and lack of insight is off putting and even frightening.

A large, uninsghtful, obviously fit male dominating discussions in class no doubt was really detrimental to a more normal collegial discussion between all students in these PhD classes.
Sadly, for everyone the same lack of insight that also prevent women killers from making making changes and become more attractive to the people they ostensible want to be close too.

I really haven't heard anything that makes me think they were noticing homicidal behaviors. IMO, we're assigning motive to the Bryan Tally with the benefit of hindsight. They could have a similar list of other TAs who are never arrested for murder. If they were noticing homicidal behaviors, I don't think they'd think twice about his attendance or interruptions in class.

MOO.

Yes. Reported by a friend of BKs ("popular"?) girls in high school would not talk to him. They had the same reaction. Not sure if all girls, or basically the cheerleaders.

I mean, I know people think he's good looking, but frankly, it doesn't surprise me one iota that cheerleaders and "the popular girls" didn't give him the time of day. He's not a catch, IMO. And that doesn't even have anything to do with his personality.

MOO.

It's hard to fathom siting where he's sitting and finding anything to feel smug about.

But I suspect he doesn't feel the least bit caged. He probably feels pleased, to be castled off. No longer has to deal with people, especially women.

It occurred to me that, if BK is an injustice collector, he likely had a whole file on his family. Perhaps, topping the list, being turned into cops over his sister's phone.

Passive aggression is real. It's more than Minnesota nice -- the polite no when you secretly mean yes -- abs is a whole paradigm for interaction. Would not surprise me to learn that that single act (turning him in) was Day 1 of a mental file marked 'Mark My Wirds, One Day You'll Pay".

And now he's sticking it to the man. You think borrowing my sister's phone is bad....

How better to CRUSH your parents than to lean into crime?

I don't think tge death sentence rocks his boat, nor does losing the freedom to spend time with family, develop his career, find a mate, procreate, teach.

He's got place to live, rent free. No one to humiliate, no one humiliated him. Yes, jail/prison has a pecking order but at least he doesn't have bosses, professors, admin, parents, women telling him how to behave, what he can and cannot do.

He strikes me as the type who, given the chance, will get an online law degree, will give and control interviews, cause as much pain as he can and derive great pleasure from it, and chuckle to himself, how superior he is, how inferior everyone else is.

I believe that BK has a stringent personal code. Follows it rigidly.

I think he said don't worry -- I'm here to help you to Xana, possibly because she had a weapon of some kind. Golf club comes go mind, which he was slowly reaching for -- you can trust me, I won't hurt you like a "friend" who says that to you right before they backstab you.

He used the words in an attempt to disarm her. It was too late. He had her cornered and he had all the advantage. JMOO

He had nothing to lose.

Jmo. ^^^BBM for emphasis
Thank you @Megnut Add to that family revenge, the WSU mess. I've not been able to separate the WSU altercations from what pushed BK over the edge from studying killers to becoming one. BK was obviously PO'd at Prof Snyder, WSU students & faculty for being called out about not meeting expectations & whatever else those meetings addressed. (Hope we hear more about that at trial. IMO there was more to the altercations than in the released reports & Prof Snyder could be a witness.) What better way to stick it to the WSU program than to show them he knew more than they did. He pulls off the perfect crime and gets away with it, in his mind. That will show them. His new fantasy is being "exonerated."

As always my opinion only.

Thank you @Megnut Add to that family revenge, the WSU mess. I've not been able to separate the WSU altercations from what pushed BK over the edge from studying killers to becoming one. BK was obviously PO'd at Prof Snyder, WSU students & faculty for being called out about not meeting expectations & whatever else those meetings addressed (Hope we hear more about that at trial. IMO there was more to the altercations than in the released reports & Prof Snyder could be a witness.) What better way to stick it to the WSU program than to show them he knew more than they did. He pulls off the perfect crime and gets away with it, in his mind. That will show them. His new fantasy is being "exonerated."

As always my opinion only.

I'm not sure he was sticking it to his family of origin. He was probably a person in a great deal of private pain and anguish from childhood, something can't have been right with him being terribly overweight, then a heroin addict, and the other issues.

Maybe his main rage came from not being able to make it in the world of academia and law enforcement which is what he'd aimed at. For people trying to escape intolerable psychic pain and trauma, in recovery from addiction (the sort of craving that actually never goes away just requires daily management), having such an aspiration can be an escape mechanism and focal point.

If he failed at that academic goal at the same time as failing to assert interpersonal dominance over others and being rejected by LE job application and struggling socially especially with women (which evokes feelings of impotent rage and shame) plus probably having being long term obsessed with studying the psychological games and mechanisms of serious offenders such as BTK, and added to that he could have had a real life interaction social media joust with one of the young women... so much rejection and he has no place in the world, so much anger. Maybe his grand finale 'I'll show you' is carrying out this act and then playing games with LE and if banged up for life he will have a role at that next, probably look forward to being studied by psychologists.

JMO MOO

The spokesperson for the Beyan Tally group apparently said the list was started because they noticed BK "disrespected" female professors. They said he cut their classes more than those of male professors (although why that was their business....and if he was so awful in class, you'd think they would have been glad he wasn't there.)
I can't really see keeping a Bryan Tally was self-preservation simply because BK was later arrested for an awful crime. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of men who don't seem to respect women professionals are not physically dangerous. And much of what reportedly was on the Tally-- like supposed policy violations-- didn't relate to self-protection for the grad students.

I don't know what the grad students saw but BK's master's advisor was female.
JMO

As is his attorney. I remember when most of social media was saying he'd likely fire her within weeks because of that.

I'm taking everything with a grain of salt until it's in court filings or until trial. JMO

Takes a minute. What you seem to be saying is BK was the victim of group of students who tracked his behavior.

His behavior is well documented as aggressive and domineering.
Why is what they did in response of any concern? Likely they were making sure they could back up any complaint they ultimately umade.

Because it doesn't seem like much of what they tracked was aggressive or domineering. JMO.

I believe very little of what defense attorneys say, unless it’s backed up by evidence. In time we’ll know.

Yes, I’m aware that Ms Taylor is highly respected. I’d still need to know precisely what her definition of ‘no connection’—preferably as analyzed by a very sharp prosecution attorney who could think of all the little loopholes she might have left for herself.

I have no idea why you think prosecutors are more reliably honest than defense attorneys.

In fact and though I don't know that statistics have been compiled, I am willing to bet money that prosecutors have convicted far more innocent people (often unwittingly) than defense attorneys have gotten guilty people acquitted!

ETA I didn't mean to imply that ADAs often try to convict the innocent on purpose. There have been such instances, but I think most wrongful convictions are inadvertent. I don't believe either prosecutors or defense attorneys are typically corrupt.

Last edited:
Why do you think they tracked him?

Because they didn't like him or his behavior. Right or wrong, I can't say without further information. But I don't believe they saw homicidal tendencies in him just because he interrupted his professor or he cut classes. I think that's a reach and only now being talked about with the benefit of hindsight.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member