4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #96

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well BK did say he looks forward to being exonerated and if he does I would imagine he'll be a rich man when he sues the state of Idaho. If of course he is exonerated.

All MOO
He won't be able to sue and win any money from the State because HIS DNA was on a knife sheath, underneath 2 stabbing victims. That right there, by itself, is enough Probable Cause to be charged and held for trial. IMO

I don't think DM's description in itself will matter much, unless there is some conflict between it and something in BF's testimony, which the defense has already claimed contains "exculpatory" elements. I must say that claim did pique my curiosity, and I am really looking forward to finally getting a glimpse into what that's all about.
IMO if the defense does bring up DM's statements it might be more to try to show that they were somehow not accurately transcribed, or that LE pressured her into giving these answers when her memory of the intruder sighting was hazy. I believe they will try to fault LE's interrogation, not DM herself.
But more important will be the contents of the roommates' text messages, and the times at which they occurred, which will IMO be mined thoroughly by both the prosecution and the defense.
Just MOO.

Moo. The bushy eyebrows description is at least partially subjective to the witness who observed a masked stranger ( to her) inside and apparently heading towards rear slider in a very specific context as per PCA. To me, if necessary (which seems unlikely?) the state may be driven to demonstrate or suggest on direct or redirect, how prominent brow structure in combo with the lighting and mask, witness would come to describe the stranger thus. And imo BK certainly has what could be described as prominent brow structure jmo.

Adding, there are other aspects to witness description that also do not exclude BK. And in all events, BK's brows in Nov 2022 could not be objectively described as "thin", "refined", "not prominent" or "unthick". Moo

Trimming BK's eyebrows for court technically shouldn't have much of an impact, as it's how he was on the night that matters. State could potentially find a way to emphasise this if it becomes an issue at trial ( raised by defense say on cross of the witness) jmo, maybe through another witness who knew and saw BK just prior to the murders. Jury may also see photo from BK's licence or a still from Oct 2022 LE pull over near WSU. Just speculating. However, can't see this occurring unless D goes hard at questioning witness re how she could describe the person she saw as bushy browed and door is opened for the state ( if it even could be, noting INAL).moo

In summary, not really sure eyebrows will play too much of a role. Though perhaps d will try to insinuate bias of LEO who first looked at BK licence and also saw the brows a bushy. If so, I see state countering with good records of the LEO with emphasis on past and current professionalism.
Moo
Based only on what is in the PCA, exhibit A, BP stated that he made the identification of the suspect (page 10) based upon DM's description of the suspect. DM said the suspect was "5'10" or taller, male, not very muscular, but athletically built with bushy eyebrows" (page 4). It seems to me that a lot has been left out of the description such as race, the color of the bushy eyebrows (even in the dark, one should be able to tell if they are light or dark colored), hair color, eye color, complexion, any scars or identifying marks and much, much more. I have to wonder if a sketch was made by a police artist or if DM ever identified BK out of a photo lineup or live lineup? If some kind of lineup was not done and no sketch was made, then how did BP identify BK as the unknown subject based on his DL photo and DM's description?

And I really have to wonder why BP didn't mention an age range for the unknown subject.

Here is the Sacramento PD Suspect description form which is a good example of the kind of information that should have been requested from DM. Even in the dark, even with a mask on, many of the elements of the description that should be present are not in the PCA and the reader is left to wonder how BP identified BK based upon so little: https://www.cityofsacramento.gov/co...ime---safety/Suspect-Description-Form-SPD.pdf

Last edited:
@kfixler

A status conference hearing has been scheduled in the #Idaho4 case for #BryanKohberger with new Judge Steven Hippler in the venue change location of #Boise / Ada County for Sept. 26 at 2 p.m. MT (one week from today).

https://s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/isc.coi/CR01-24-31665/2024/091924-Notice-of-Hearing.pdf

View attachment 532275

What I'm noticing on the Notice of Hearing is that BT and AJ are not listed in the Certificate of Service. Instead, there is Jeffrey Nye and Ingrid Batey. So I am wondering if the prosecution team is changing? Could that be why BT and AJ have seemed so "checked out" in the last hearing? The prosecution didn't even cross examine Dr. Edelman or any of the defense witnesses or bring any experts of their own. Ada County is a 6 hour drive from Latah County and BK's trial is expected to take 3 months, maybe that is too much for the prosecutors in Moscow to handle along with the rest of their case loads.

JMO.

I agree, it is not like BK is being held without substantial evidence linking him to the murders. If he is found not guilty, he goes on with his life.

The only way he would have cause to get damages from the state is if he was being held, based on no evidence or even manufactured evidence, prosecutorial malfeasance, or LEO incompetence.

I don't see that here, LEO contacted SLC FBI to come in, this case is tight.

Yup.

Our justice system is set up so that an acquittal from a jury does not equal the acquitted person's right to sue.

What is normal is for the victim(s) to sue not the one who is acquitted. As you stated, the one acquitted must have legal valid reasons of unlawful conduct to be able to sue for $$$ and I am seeing a defendant (BK) who is pampered and spoiled more than normal, more than anything I have ever seen.

The defense did not even respond on time to the Idaho Alibi Statute, or give a valid alibi, according to Thompson. But judge Judge gave-in to the defense. Good riddence

I am glad for hopefully a normal non-biased judge who has backbone for crying out loud.

2 Cents

Last edited:
I don't think DM's description in itself will matter much, unless there is some conflict between it and something in BF's testimony, which the defense has already claimed contains "exculpatory" elements. I must say that claim did pique my curiosity, and I am really looking forward to finally getting a glimpse into what that's all about.
IMO if the defense does bring up DM's statements it might be more to try to show that they were somehow not accurately transcribed, or that LE pressured her into giving these answers when her memory of the intruder sighting was hazy. I believe they will try to fault LE's interrogation, not DM herself.
But more important will be the contents of the roommates' text messages, and the times at which they occurred, which will IMO be mined thoroughly by both the prosecution and the defense.
Just MOO.
IMO the basic elements of DM's account, as spelled out in the PCA, was already circulating via text messages and social media amongst the student body literally minutes after the first body was discovered. Blum has mentioned this in his reporting many many times (admittedly, not a big fan of the guys' sensationalism)

Also, IMO, the supposed 'exculpatory' information provided by BF has also been out there. And it's telling that not even Howard Blum will go there.

MOO

I think the eyebrow argument will be a dead end for either side. Between DM being in fear/surprise/shock, it being really late/dark (possibly after a night of partying?), plus the fact that eyewitness statements are notoriously unreliable, I think it would be a mistake for either side to lean heavily on it.

I think DM's description (or what we know of it) establishes that she saw a not-overweight male with eyebrows and that he was someone she didn't recognize.

Now, if the defense can establish that BK completely burned off his eyebrows in some science experiment gone awry within the week before the murders, maybe they could establish reasonable doubt. But I don't see that happening.

MOO.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed for no link to statement of fact>

I never knew there was a specific size shoe associated with the foot print outside DM's door. Just that having found a bloody footprint it solidifies that DM saw the actual killer - and no juror will take it lightly.

The blood in the print shows the killer walking by her door as she stated. Her description is not coincidenal nonsense. Her description helped identify him through his driver's license.

This is about far more than simply debating eyebrows. Forget eyebrows.

He has a very prominent bony eye ridge....it is there, period. A white male his height and build, not a woman, a man fitting his description. Juries must look at what is most reasonable. It is actually reasonable that DM saw BK. Take it or leave it, jury decides.

2 Cents

Last edited by a moderator:
He has a very prominent bony eye ridge....it is there, period. A white male his height and build, not a woman, a man fitting his description. Juries must look at what is most reasonable. It is actually reasonable that DM saw BK. Take it or leave it, jury decides.

I agree.

It may not be that his eyebrows are necessarily “bushy,” but that his eyebrows are prominent due to his facial structure. In DM’s state of shock, she may have just noticed that his eyebrow area was conspicuous in some way.

Also, that she said he was athletic looking but not “muscular,” I can see that. I know he’s not been said to be a runner, but in a flash look at him I can see him having a runner’s build.

And of course, as you mentioned, just seeing him in a panicked glance is enough to rule out what was NOT seen. Not a woman, not someone short or overweight, not someone of color, not someone with blond eyebrows, etc.

JMO

I agree.

It may not be that his eyebrows are necessarily “bushy,” but that his eyebrows are prominent due to his facial structure. In DM’s state of shock, she may have just noticed that his eyebrow area was conspicuous in some way.

Also, that she said he was athletic looking but not “muscular,” I can see that. I know he’s not been said to be a runner, but in a flash look at him I can see him having a runner’s build.

And of course, as you mentioned, just seeing him in a panicked glance is enough to rule out what was NOT seen. Not a woman, not someone short or overweight, not someone of color, not someone with blond eyebrows, etc.

JMO

Exactly. Witness decription before arrest includes the correct features of BK. Hard to not find this very significant.

Height
Male
Prominent "eyebrow" ridge
Build

Fits him to a tee, matched his drivers licsnse which pointed to his car which pointed to his phone.

Dominoes. They all fell into place.

2 Cents

Mr. Goncalves (incredibly brave, smart, and strong ) stated in a recent interview, that the killer's DNA was under the victim's bodies, as well as on the knife sheath.

IMO Their daughter Kaylee fought like a soldier on a battlefield. She was amazing to fight, for life. Fighting to leave the truth.
<modsnip - posting more than 10% is a copyright violation - see link>
This is quite profound too-

Idaho murder victim family speaks on Kohberger venue change​

Mr. Goncalves (incredibly brave, smart, and strong ) stated in a recent interview, that the killer's DNA was under the victim's bodies, as well as on the knife sheath.

IMO Their daughter Kaylee fought like a soldier on a battlefield. She was amazing to fight, for life. Fighting to leave the truth.

that was with an interview with Brian Entin about 10 days ago when Steve Goncalves mentioned the dna on the sleeve and Sleeve is another word for sheath

"have them help me out I reminder that there was uh DNA evidence found on the sleeve underneath the leg that that good luck good luck with that let's bring it on don't be scared of this " this is from the transcript of from the video below

timestamp 16 minute and 6 seconds
Here's a link to that interview

so this was reported after a decision was made where the trial will be held

University of Idaho murder victim's family grateful for swift venue change in Bryan Kohberger trial​

I agree.

JMO
BK is known to be a runner and has been running since high school. In fact his alibi says he often went to parks to run at night which is consistent to what he did when he lived in the Poconos with his parents. He has a friend there who used to run with him at night who describes this in the article below: Ex-friend of Idaho murder suspect - 'We used to run together'

What I'm noticing on the Notice of Hearing is that BT and AJ are not listed in the Certificate of Service. Instead, there is Jeffrey Nye and Ingrid Batey. So I am wondering if the prosecution team is changing? Could that be why BT and AJ have seemed so "checked out" in the last hearing? The prosecution didn't even cross examine Dr. Edelman or any of the defense witnesses or bring any experts of their own. Ada County is a 6 hour drive from Latah County and BK's trial is expected to take 3 months, maybe that is too much for the prosecutors in Moscow to handle along with the rest of their case loads.

JMO.
This isn't the first time that the prosecution hasn't cross examine a witness(es) for the defense in a hearing, this happened when Sy Ray was on the witness stand on May 30, 2024 and when the defense had 4 different kinds of experts about the DNA and IGG discovery request on Aug 18, 2023.

If look at the ORDER GOVERNING COURTROOM CONDUCT filed by the judge on Sept 18, 2024, Bill and Ashley's name were listed on it. I'm assuming that they will attend the hearing via zoom. I heard that Jeffrey Nye and Ingrid Batey names were used at a person of contact and that the public shouldn't read anything into the fact that Bill and Ashley's names weren't listed on the Notice of Hearing filed by the Judge on Sept 19, 2024.

If the prosecution was changing there would be no need to include Bill and Ashley on the distribution of that document, so since they were included on it, I think that it's safe to assume for the time being that they are still on the case. IMO.

Screen Shot 2024-09-22 at 1.12.29 PM.png

Last edited:

I think that The Goncalves Family isn't listening to their attorney or their attorney hasn't explained things to them correctly, imo. I don't think that JJJ flavored that defense that much imo. A lot of the time they seem to have to fight tooth and nail for stuff unless JJJ thought it could cause the case to be turn over on appeal down the road imo. JJJ mostly tended to side with the prosecution and he confused the FBI CAST report with the video of the white car around 1122 king rd house in one of the hearings, I was like OMG, yikes.

Last edited:

JMO.
Has you seen this video? It talks about if the prosecution and the defense will be able to attend hearings in the future via Zoom or virtually.

I can't wait for the hearing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hollyann
Back