4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #96

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
First hearing in Ada County for Bryan Kohberger is set to begin in about 15 minutes. This link should get you to a live feed: https://youtube.com/watch?v=wg2SgBt7lp8 If you can't watch, I'll give you a live recap here on X.

Judge just said defense request that Kohberger be allowed to wear street clothes will be taken up at a later date.

He’s asking state and defense to be professional during proceedings. Stakes are high, but attorneys need to adhere to their oaths.

Prosecutor Bill Thompson estimates Kohberger trial 1.5 months for state’s sentencing side. Taylor will need 4 to 6 weeks. In other words, it’s going to be a long trial. Set for entire length of summer 2025, which concerns judge.

Judge offers May or September start. Thompson picks May; Taylor prefers September.

Sounds like they are going to talk about deadlines in private before judge sets a trial date. Death penalty expert is the holdup.

Judge adjourns court, will talk to Taylor now. Thompson is hanging around in case a trial date can be set.

@BrianEntin

First Bryan Kohberger hearing in Boise is set to start at 2pm local time / 4pm ET.You should be able to stream here:https://youtube.com/@idahofourthdistrictcourt?si=lgtyW78gC7kXslCZ

Kohberger hearing starting now.Apparently new judge granted Kohberger's request to wear "street clothes" because he is in a suit and tie.

Judge says Bryan Kohberger gets to appear in civilian clothes for "this hearing only."Says he will decide how to handle his clothing in the future after discussing with security officials who transport him.

Judge concerned about having the Kohberger trial in the summer - thinks it will be harder getting jurors willing to give up their entire summer. They are discussing other options.

Kohberger hearing over.Judge and lawyers are going to have a private discussion now about the 2025 trial date.Whether to have it before, or after summer.

IMO, I like this judge. He might not allow as much "wiggle room" as JJJ.
Really curious to see if he's swayed by the silver tongue. If he grants the D an extension for filing their (replacement, mitigating) expert, he hamstrings the State. So will he hold to the original deadlines or will he push the trial from June (and his preferred May) to Seotember?

A few more reporters' perspectives coming up:

@MorganRomeroTV

We are at the Ada Co Courthouse for a status conference for Bryan Kohberger. He just entered the courtroom in a suit with handcuffs and shackles. This is his first appearance in Boise.

Kohberger is sitting next to his primary defense attorney Anne Taylor.

Ada Co Judge Steven Hippler issued order yesterday allowing Kohberger to appear in civilian clothes today but will take up his "street clothes" request again ahead of future hearings

Judge Hippler proposes two alternative start dates because a trial beginning in June could pose difficulty for jurors, particularly those w/ children. Hippler proposes May 2025 or Sept 2025. Prosecution wants a May start date. Defense asks for September bc an expert passed away.

Trial date will be taken up in ex parte hearing after this hearing. That's where one party - defense in this case - will be meeting with the judge. There are questions Anne Taylor didn't want to answer about this specific expert, who she says will present during mitigation phase.

Hearing is done. It was about 30 minutes. We expect Judge Hippler to issue a written order setting trial date after he meets with defense. Will keep you posted.

I understand the judge's stated concerns about the trial being an all-summer trial especially for potential jurors with children. (Others may vacation in summer too even without kids.) But I fail to see how a May start would be any better than a June start. If the trial itself takes around 2 1/2- 3 months (think that's what was said), a May 1 start would mean the trial ends in mid-to-late July. Then closing arguments, instructions from the judge, and the jury deliberates. (Anxious to leave so super quickly like the Anthony jury?) School started Aug 14 this year in Boise. So summer is over by then for parents.
2024-2025 School Year Information
Having a week-long summer (assuming nothing weird arises that slows the trial down) doesn't sound any better than having no summer to me. And having jurors predictably frantic to leave by the time deliberations occur (so they can salvage some summer) sounds bad.

If the concern really is not taking up the full summer for jurors, it seems a late summer or fall start would be best.
MOO

I understand the judge's stated concerns about the trial being an all-summer trial especially for potential jurors with children. (Others may vacation in summer too even without kids.) But I fail to see how a May start would be any better than a June start. If the trial itself takes around 2 1/2- 3 months (think that's what was said), a May 1 start would mean the trial ends in mid-to-late July. Then closing arguments, instructions from the judge, and the jury deliberates. (Anxious to leave so super quickly like the Anthony jury?) School started Aug 14 this year in Boise. So summer is over by then for parents.
2024-2025 School Year Information
Having a week-long summer (assuming nothing weird arises that slows the trial down) doesn't sound any better than having no summer to me. And having jurors predictably frantic to leave by the time deliberations occur (so they can salvage some summer) sounds bad.

If the concern really is not taking up the full summer for jurors, it seems a late summer or fall start would be best.
MOO
That is why the judge proposed a May start date for the trial portion and September for any penalty phase. So there'd be a break between.

But AT brought her wrench.

JMO

That is why the judge proposed a May start date for the trial portion and September for any penalty phase. So there'd be a break between.

But AT brought her wrench.

JMO
I understood that. My previous post wasn't concerned with a penalty phase. But IF the judge really is concerned about parents trying to avoid service if it's an all-summer trial, school starts around Aug 14 in Boise. So summer ends before that for parents. And without a penalty phase and without closing arguments or instructions from the judge, and without time for jury deliberations, much of the summer will be gone-- it sounded like the state & defense work will take well over two months and perhaps close to 3 months. And there are a few holidays in there-- Memorial Day, Juneteenth, and July 4 for example.

If the trial guilt phase AND the jury's deliberations end at the earliest in late July, I'm not sure most parents would be thrilled or feel like they still have a summer. Getting through with months of summer jury service 2 weeks before their kids start school doesn't sound great to me. It's also likely deliberations will be rushed IF the judge is correct about parents wanting summer with their kids. So I don't see a May start date solving anything even if jurors are given a break between the guilt phase and the penalty phase (assuming the latter is needed, of course.)

It didn't surprise me AT wouldn't agree to May. She came prepared to argue June was too early. So there's no way she could possibly agree
a month earlier was just fine & dandy.
MOO

I understood that. My previous post wasn't concerned with a penalty phase. But IF the judge really is concerned about parents trying to avoid service if it's an all-summer trial, school starts around Aug 14 in Boise. So summer ends before that for parents. And without a penalty phase and without closing arguments or instructions from the judge, and without time for jury deliberations, much of the summer will be gone-- it sounded like the state & defense work will take well over two months and perhaps close to 3 months. And there are a few holidays in there-- Memorial Day, Juneteenth, and July 4 for example.

If the trial guilt phase AND the jury's deliberations end at the earliest in late July, I'm not sure most parents would be thrilled or feel like they still have a summer. Getting through with months of summer jury service 2 weeks before their kids start school doesn't sound great to me. It's also likely deliberations will be rushed IF the judge is correct about parents wanting summer with their kids. So I don't see a May start date solving anything even if jurors are given a break between the guilt phase and the penalty phase (assuming the latter is needed, of course.)

It didn't surprise me AT wouldn't agree to May. She came prepared to argue June was too early. So there's no way she could possibly agree
a month earlier was just fine & dandy.
MOO
3 mos of BK.... feel sorry for the jury
It will be too long IMO
they are not sequestered, right?

3 mos of BK.... feel sorry for the jury
It will be too long IMO
they are not sequestered, right?
I don't know that an official decision has been made (or that there's even a motion to request it) but opinions here and in the press seem to suggest no sequestering.

No matter what the crime, a 3-month trial is likely to be hard on jurors. People get sick (& we usually see summer COVID), people have personal and family emergencies, people have births/deaths in families & close friends, people have job/loss of income issues....
MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926