4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #96

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The basement had street access and his cell frosted glass bricks protected by bars. Entin says Kohberger had his own television in Latah. "They gave him his own TV." Well isn't that dandy.
Yeah, jmo, he was living pretty comfortable in a cell at Latah County jail. I knew he had a tv.
Glad that is no longer the case in Ada County.

Any speculation on the defense expert who died is? They need to replacement. That was sort of odd.
Defense attorney AT did not want to speak further about it. She mainly did not want to let on about the new expert (witness) replacement as not to give away too much.

Any speculation on the defense expert who died is? They need to replacement. That was sort of odd.
I don’t know any details on who the expert witness was or what happened. But it occurred to me that in all the trials I’ve followed it seems that a lot of the experts are shall we say “ up there in years”. Since they are experts in their fields of specialty they are usually retired and now making a second career of testifying as a paid expert. So perhaps they passed of natural causes or illness. Just a speculation off the top of my head.
JMO

Yes, I saw them listed on the document for the 18th, but not on the document for the 19th. So, I went back through all the similar documents and they either had BT's name or his office email listed consistently in every single case. So the document from the 19th IS different from all of the previous documents. And I still have to wonder what is different between the document for the 18th and the document for the 19th that BT was not included on the document from the 19th?
Good to see both Ashley Jennings and Bill Thompson in person during the hearing today.

The thing that especially peeked my interest was that this person is a mitigation attorney. Which means they are likely (IMO) almost exclusively focused on the death penalty portion of the trial if BK is found guilty.

I know the defense has to prepare equally for that potential outcome. It's just that it was a bit jarring first hearing how important this person was to their strategy and then later having it revealed that their role was in mitigation.

A few folks in the live stream chat went from believing the defense had something potentially damaging to the prosecutions case to being totally confused.

MOO

@schooling , I'm not so sure.
AT stated that she expects to spend four weeks presenting her side in the trial phase, versus two weeks in the sentencing phase.
So while the mitigation expert is clearly very important to them, I personally wouldn't conclude that their strategy is "pretty much exclusively" focused on mitigation at all.
To me it read rather that they brought it up because the death of their expert causes a problem in terms of scheduling, which was the question the judge asked.
Even Bill Thompson agreed that adding the new expert would entail a scheduling problem if the trial were to start in May.
Unrelated: I noted that the judge said he expects that motions cite ALL relevant case law, not just the examples that support them. Personally I saw this as a direct dig at Logsden's lengthy motions cherry-picking case law to argue his points. I would be extremely surprised if the judge will grant those motions to drop the DP.
Moo.

The thing that especially peeked my interest was that this person is a mitigation attorney. Which means they are likely (IMO) almost exclusively focused on the death penalty portion of the trial if BK is found guilty.

I know the defense has to prepare equally for that potential outcome. It's just that it was a bit jarring first hearing how important this person was to their strategy and then later having it revealed that their role was in mitigation.

A few folks in the live stream chat went from believing the defense had something potentially damaging to the prosecutions case to being totally confused.

MOO
Despite her efforts to safeguard her strategy, I found the importance of that expert to be VERY interesting and revealing. Just from a gut reaction perspective, now I feel that she's going to fight but expects him to be convicted and is truly hanging her hat on convincing the jury not to vote for the DP. It makes logical sense just from the little we know. He has no alibi, his DNA is at the scene, and her only hope of excluding the DNA is the manner in which they identified him and that doesn't appear to be going anywhere. At least not yet.

It's worse than that even! His alibi is sooooooo good that AT can't reveal it in its entirety until trial when she plans to elicit it, as if by magic, during cross examination. What the what? Even she knows that's not how an alibi defense is registered. By reservation.

She knows what she she's doing. He has no calcuable alibi, she can't in good faith offer one, and she is telegraphing her strategy -- that she will attempt to poke holes in the investigation/investigators/CAST analysis/CAST report in the hopes of confusing jurors into thinking that, if the experts can't pinpoint every place BK was that night, maybe he was somewhere else.

That's what Cy was for. To find anywhere else an imaginary Elantra could have parked for an important chunk of the around 4 am. And to give the impression there's some kind of science behind her word jumble.

He has no alibi. His phone may have parked but his car didn't.

Well, not until he parked it behind 1122.

JMO

One of the hearings

Anne Taylor about Kohberger’s alibi: “It’s more than just Bryan driving around.”​

His alibi is not ‘stargazing’ at Wawawai Park. He was out driving in the early morning hours of November 13, 40 miles from Moscow, from the house. [“He drove throughout the AREA south of Pullman, Washington, west of Moscow, Idaho, including Wawawai Park.”]

Anne Taylor introduced Wawawai Park as Kohberger's favorite location. She did not claim that he was ‘stargazing’ that morning, but that he was driving in that area that morning. She claimed that he often did to hike and run and/or see the moon and stars.

He used to hike/run/drive while living in PA. He didn’t start these activities when he moved to Pullman.

Exculpatory evidence can show by the testimony of Sy Ray, CSLI expert. [Mr. Kohberger intends to offer testimony of Sy Ray, CSLI expert, (cell tower, cell phone and other radio frequency, curricula vitae is attached) to show that Bryan Kohberger’s mobile device was south of Pullman, Washington and west of Moscow, Idaho on November 13, 2022; that Bryan Kohberger’s mobile device did not travel east on the Moscow-Pullman Highway in the early morning hours of November 13th, and thus could not be the vehicle captured on video along the Moscow-Pullman highway near Floyd’s Cannabis shop.]

His phone wasn’t ‘turned off’ at the time of the murders. They said it didn’t connect to the network. [At approximately 2:47 a.m. the 8458 Phone stops reporting to the network, which is consistent with either the phone beign in the area without cellular coverage, the connection to the network is disabled (such as putting the phone airplane mode), or that the phone is turned off. The 8458 Phone does nor report to the network again until approximately 4:48 a.m. at which time it utilized cellular resources that provide coverage to ID state highway 95 souts of Moscow, ID near Blaine, ID (Nort of Genese).]

The State has not provided the CAST report for 2 years even though Anne Taylor requested this multiple times. Withholding exculpatory evidence is illegal & unethical.

Reminder that I do not think BK is innocent but I also am not convinced by any means he is guilty.

All MOO

One of the hearings

Anne Taylor about Kohberger’s alibi: “It’s more than just Bryan driving around.”​

His alibi is not ‘stargazing’ at Wawawai Park. He was out driving in the early morning hours of November 13, 40 miles from Moscow, from the house. [“He drove throughout the AREA south of Pullman, Washington, west of Moscow, Idaho, including Wawawai Park.”]

Anne Taylor introduced Wawawai Park as Kohberger's favorite location. She did not claim that he was ‘stargazing’ that morning, but that he was driving in that area that morning. She claimed that he often did to hike and run and/or see the moon and stars.

He used to hike/run/drive while living in PA. He didn’t start these activities when he moved to Pullman.

Exculpatory evidence can show by the testimony of Sy Ray, CSLI expert. [Mr. Kohberger intends to offer testimony of Sy Ray, CSLI expert, (cell tower, cell phone and other radio frequency, curricula vitae is attached) to show that Bryan Kohberger’s mobile device was south of Pullman, Washington and west of Moscow, Idaho on November 13, 2022; that Bryan Kohberger’s mobile device did not travel east on the Moscow-Pullman Highway in the early morning hours of November 13th, and thus could not be the vehicle captured on video along the Moscow-Pullman highway near Floyd’s Cannabis shop.]

His phone wasn’t ‘turned off’ at the time of the murders. They said it didn’t connect to the network. [At approximately 2:47 a.m. the 8458 Phone stops reporting to the network, which is consistent with either the phone beign in the area without cellular coverage, the connection to the network is disabled (such as putting the phone airplane mode), or that the phone is turned off. The 8458 Phone does nor report to the network again until approximately 4:48 a.m. at which time it utilized cellular resources that provide coverage to ID state highway 95 souts of Moscow, ID near Blaine, ID (Nort of Genese).]

The State has not provided the CAST report for 2 years even though Anne Taylor requested this multiple times. Withholding exculpatory evidence is illegal & unethical.

Reminder that I do not think BK is innocent but I also am not convinced by any means he is guilty.

All MOO
Sorry, but if I was on the jury and the defense attorney started talking about the moon and stars as an alibi, I am afraid I would laugh out loud---

did they say where he goes the other 1 hour?

If Brian Entin said anything about it, I missed it. I might listen to it again. If I hear anything further, will report back. :)
Additionally info from Brian Entin's review of BK hearing:

-- Jail is 10/15 minutes from the courthouse

-- This jail has more than a thousand beds/five wings

-- BK is in a cell by himself

-- BK has no interaction with other inmates

-- BK is in a cell 23 hours a day. He does not have his own tv. He only has access to tv the one hour he is let out of his cell.

Additionally info from Brian Entin's review of BK hearing:

-- Jail is 10/15 minutes from the courthouse

-- This jail has more than a thousand beds/five wings

-- BK is in a cell by himself

-- BK has no interaction with other inmates

-- BK is in a cell 23 hours a day. He does not have his own tv. He only has access to tv the one hour he is let out of his cell.

Aww, he's going to be big mad he can't watch himself on all the news reports any more.

MOO

Sorry, but if I was on the jury and the defense attorney started talking about the moon and stars as an alibi, I am afraid I would laugh out loud---

Yeah, supposedly the moon and stars are better in ID than WA. jmo

Updated: SEP 26, 2024 / 08:57 PM CDT

Officials have said that Kohberger traveled in the region the night of the killings and that his DNA was found at the crime scene. They say surveillance video and cellphone data show Kohberger visiting the area at least a dozen times before the killings.

Kohberger’s attorneys said in court filings that he was just out for a drive that night, which he often did to hike, run or look at the moon and stars.

Prosecutors said they will seek the death penalty if Kohberger is convicted. The trial is set for June 2025.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bfred1221
Back