48 Hours Mystery

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
cookie said:
I think that what they managed to do most was give any half-way decent defense lawyer more grounds to get ANY defendant off. Even I could probably throw out a pretty good case for doubt. and I don't have a college degree at all.

------------Great post Cookie!

Oh, and do keep in mind, this type of publicity will help the Ramseys with their suit against Fox. Now don't you just have to wonder just who got this CBS show on the air/tv the timing is exquisite for helping the Ramseys with their case. WHO was the kingpin for this program, and WHY, since it did not give the public an opportunity to HELP find the drooling perp, by providing MORE information such as an 'America's Most Wanted Program' would have done.

Strange that the DA's office has been apparently snoozing for a number of years now, all comfy etc. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

It would be quite convenient to pin/blame/prove or otherwise convict a 'dead person, pass GO and stay outta jail.

When the CBS cameras focused on a lab person holding a DNA sample in a tiny bottle, the contents looked quite dark. I a$$umed that they were showing the REAL sample of the DNA that they collected from JonBenet body. The tube showed an ample amount of dark colored substance in the clear liquid, which would indicate to me that it was a large collection of DNA. BUT, BUT it probably was not the REAL sample, NAW it wasn't WAS IT, huh, er? (just artistic liberty?)

Any lab person reading here, just HOW does a tiny sample of blood show itself in a test tube ?, is the sample mixed witha coloring agent for visibility purpose?

I DO believe there are clues in Waterford MI that should be DUG up and looked at!!!!!!!!!

I thought the program was fairly good; it's just that those viewers who know little about the case may have come away with more hope than what is really there. The DNA does seem to be compelling evidence. I wonder if all this "news" is going out because of the Fox suit, and that bothers me.

sissi said:
Let's put this one "myth" to rest . She was dressed in the same star shirt when her body was found that she had worn to the White's. It is not a fact , never was that she had worn that red top that day.

Then how did it end up balled up (and wet) in the corner in the bathroom? That was the shirt Patsy wanted JonBenet to wear, so they would match, but JonBenet and Patsy had a little "riff" over it.

I have to do a little searching, but somewhere one of them said something about the red shirt.

luvbeaches said:
Then how did it end up balled up (and wet) in the corner in the bathroom? That was the shirt Patsy wanted JonBenet to wear, so they would match, but JonBenet and Patsy had a little "riff" over it.

I have to do a little searching, but somewhere one of them said something about the red shirt.

Don't have the books before me, but I believe that in the very beginning Patsy stated to police that JB was wearing the red turtleneck, and later that was recanted and she stated that JB went to bed wearing the white star shirt. We have never seen the pictures from the White's party so we don't know what she actually had on that evening. Steve Thomas reported that the red turtleneck was balled up on the bathroom counter. Whether JB really wore it that night is still a mystery. I think the reporting of a "rift" was speculation.

jasmine said:
Try all you want but you cannot dismiss the dna. Cant spin it into being a factory worker in Asia when its mixed with her blood in her panties and no where else on the panties and it matches the dna under her fingernails.
Jasmine, you don't have your facts correct, which is probably why you consider the meaningless DNA to be of some importantce when it isn't.

The DNA wasn't "mixed" with her blood. It would have gotten "mixed" during the testing process when water is added to the sample.

How would you know if there was no DNA anywhere else on her panties? How do you know other areas of the panties were even tested?

And finally how do you know it matches the DNA under her fingernails? What is your source for that information?

Henry Lee says this is not a DNA case becaused the mystery DNA is probably only contamination, so who cares if it appears in 20 places on JonBenet--sample contamination is only that--contamination - not case related. Real criminals don't (and can't) leave behind degraded DNA strands.

aRnd2it said:
And finally how do you know it matches the DNA under her fingernails? What is your source for that information?

They did make that claim on 48 Hours. Not saying it is accurate info...just reported there.

aRnd2it said:
Jasmine, you don't have your facts correct, which is probably why you consider the meaningless DNA to be of some importantce when it isn't.

The DNA wasn't "mixed" with her blood. It would have gotten "mixed" during the testing process when water is added to the sample.

How would you know if there was no DNA anywhere else on her panties? How do you know other areas of the panties were even tested?

Henry Lee says this is not a DNA case becaused the mystery DNA is probably only contamination, so who cares if it appears in 20 places on JonBenet--sample contamination is only that--contamination - not case related. Real criminals don't (and can't) leave behind degraded DNA strands.
I don't understand the reasoning behind some people arguing that two DNA smaples had to be deposited at the same time for them to be "co-mingled".

One only needs to consider the tv adverts for stain removal to understand this.

Exhibit 1 - dried in blood
Exhibit 2 - Vanish liquid

Spray Vanish liquid onto dried in blood and it instantly starts to disperse. What is happening? They are co-mingling of course!

Nehemiah said:
They did make that claim on 48 Hours. Not saying it is accurate info...just reported there.
According to the lab reports shown on the Tracey documentary, the DNA under her fingernails yielded only 1 /2 markers. That does NOT make a match. It can be used to eliminate a suspect, but it would never stand up in court as a match.

Besides, the pathologist apparently did not use sterile nail clippers to collect the nail clippings.

Jayelles said:
According to the lab reports shown on the Tracey documentary, the DNA under her fingernails yielded only 1 /2 markers. That does NOT make a match. It can be used to eliminate a suspect, but it would never stand up in court as a match.

Besides, the pathologist apparently did not use sterile nail clippers to collect the nail clippings.

Jay, I would have to read the 48 Hours transcript, as I may be prognosticating here, but I am fairly certain that they came out and stated that the DNA under her fingernails and that in her panties matched. That really caught my attention. I can't remember if they sourced that at all. No mention of the same non-sterile clippers being used, although we have known that for a long time.

Nehemiah said:
Jay, I would have to read the 48 Hours transcript, as I may be prognosticating here, but I am fairly certain that they came out and stated that the DNA under her fingernails and that in her panties matched. That really caught my attention. I can't remember if they sourced that at all. No mention of the same non-sterile clippers being used, although we have known that for a long time.
I'm sure they did. Doesn't make it a FACT. In the UK documentary they didn't claim it matched, but said it was "consistent" - that's a whole different thing.

Nor would they mention the nail clippers thing. That would cast doubt on the intruder theory and these guys are not interested in presenting the whole facts - only those half truths and spin which support their arguments.

Jayelles said:
I don't understand the reasoning behind some people arguing that two DNA smaples had to be deposited at the same time for them to be "co-mingled".
Jayelles,
The people who claim the DNA was "mixed" or "co-mingled" make those false statements because they don't know anything about the DNA sample collection process or the testing process itself.

Most blood samples collected for DNA testing are collected with a wet swab. So how could they possibly tell if the DNA was mixed together--the wet swab would mix them even if they were side-by-side or layered on top of each other.

Additionally, once the sample makes it to the lab, water and water based enzymes are again mixed with the sample as part of the testing process.

So this mixed DNA story is really just a product of people's ignorance of the DNA technology. :slap:

Let's face it, 48 hours did a ramsey infomercial. Next they'll clear Peterson and locate the "cult."

aRnd2it said:
Jayelles,
The people who claim the DNA was "mixed" or "co-mingled" make those false statements because they don't know anything about the DNA sample collection process or the testing process itself.

Most blood samples collected for DNA testing are collected with a wet swab. So how could they possibly tell if the DNA was mixed together--the wet swab would mix them even if they were side-by-side or layered on top of each other.

Additionally, once the sample makes it to the lab, water and water based enzymes are again mixed with the sample as part of the testing process.

So this mixed DNA story is really just a product of people's ignorance of the DNA technology. :slap:
I know you speak the truth.... :)

Have we ever had a street address? I know I've told you before that my married daughter lives in Waterford, and I've driven there to see them twice, maybe could just drive by it if anyone has a location which they're pretty sure is easy to find. I don't enjoy driving to new places and it's too cold to be getting lost. I'd need MapQuest to draw me a picture. What exactly would I be looking for? Not that I'm promising anything. May hibernate.

This is where Jimmy Hoffa disappeared, you know. Pontiac, I believe, not far from Waterford. Are we talking about some location beside a body of water or a place of business or what?

mihaff said:
Let's face it, 48 hours did a ramsey infomercial. Next they'll clear Peterson and locate the "cult."
That's been the problem with this case all along. Because the case is still active, LE is not able to release or discuss any of the evidence they have against the Ramseys.
Meanwhile, the Ramseys are free to make up any lies and myths they want about the case and publicize it as being factual.

This case will never go to trial because nobody (except the Ramseys themselves) will ever know which of the three Ramseys actually caused JonBenet's death, and which just assisted in the coverup. So the Ramseys will always have a free ticket on the B.S. Express train without anyone to challenge them.

mihaff said:

EXACTLY!!! :doh:

I watched a bit of it and felt sick to my stomach. All I could think was "oh great, time passes and people who don't know much about this case are just going to swallow this like truth"

Seeing this does however tell me the Ramseys are living in constant fear of what they did to JonBonet being exposed. They are fighting very hard to re-right history! Very hard indeed!

In a way they're souls are already in a prison of sorts.

Your past has a way of catching up with you. John, Patsy and Burke can run, hide and full out do backflips while juggling balls of fire and it would all be in vein. They KNOW what part each of them had and I truly believe it will only be a matter of time before that tremendous secret burden finds its way to the surface.

Jubie

Eagle1 said:
Have we ever had a street address? I know I've told you before that my married daughter lives in Waterford, and I've driven there to see them twice, maybe could just drive by it if anyone has a location which they're pretty sure is easy to find. I don't enjoy driving to new places and it's too cold to be getting lost. I'd need MapQuest to draw me a picture. What exactly would I be looking for? Not that I'm promising anything. May hibernate.

This is where Jimmy Hoffa disappeared, you know. Pontiac, I believe, not far from Waterford. Are we talking about some location beside a body of water or a place of business or what?

WEllllll, if you were brave enough you could walk into the PD, and ask who the man was, that spoke to the media about a person saying they were JAR, that had asked the narc to construct an accident with JonBenet. ER use your detective skills. HOW large is Waterford? Perhaps we should take up a collection to hire a PI in Waterford to FIND the man, Tricia, hmmm. Then get Jeanne Boylan to sit with this man. Could be smoke dreams BUT, the man says he was approached in summer of 1996, and JonBenet was murdered Dec of 1996.

This man had NOTHING to gain by going to the media. I still wonder why he did not go to the head of the PD in Waterford, since he worked for the PD as an undercover person, in the area of narcotics. Why would he NOT tell the Chief of Police?

I somehow doubt "he had nothing to gain", many ,many fringe characters have developed over the last eight years who had nothing but a need to interject themselves. I do mean they had "nothing".
Even our "beloved" Toast, just had to take it a step too far by going into Burke's school, people from chat rooms and forums descended on Boulder to meet and greet in front of cameras. Everyone wanted to play a part in the unfolding drama, so yep, I think the guy who said he was told by JAR that he wanted Jonbenet dead, clearly just "fabricated" to have his moment.

Those haunting "goat eyes" of Oliva's when he stated, "they said I am cleared",now that's something that deserves attention. Did he play alone?

aRnd2it said:
Jayelles,

Can you explain to me in layman's terms the DNA situation in the Ramsey case?

Nehemiah said:
Don't have the books before me, but I believe that in the very beginning Patsy stated to police that JB was wearing the red turtleneck, and later that was recanted and she stated that JB went to bed wearing the white star shirt. We have never seen the pictures from the White's party so we don't know what she actually had on that evening. Steve Thomas reported that the red turtleneck was balled up on the bathroom counter. Whether JB really wore it that night is still a mystery. I think the reporting of a "rift" was speculation.

Thanks. I knew I heard about the red turtleneck somewhere, but wasn't quite sure where I heard/read it. I know P & J stories changed from time-to-time. As for the disagreement between Patsy and Jonbenet, I took that exact word from one of her interviews with the police (I think it was the second one-I found it at acandyrose). Patsy said they had a little rift over Patsy's idea concerning what Jonbenet would wear (Patsy wanted them to match, JonBenet wanted to wear something else).

This is all a little bit fuzzy for me, it's been so long ago, but is there pictures that the White's have from their party? I would imagine they turned those over for evidence which is why we haven't seen them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missylaforme
Back