OH - 5 children, ages 1 to 9, die in YOUNGSTOWN house fire,9 December 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
Report: 5 children, ages 1 to 9, die in Ohio house fire
"WKBN reports the fire started just before midnight in Youngstown. Heavy flames and smoke were seen coming from the house by the time crews arrived.

WFMJ reports the mother jumped out of a window and told firefighters that five children were still inside the burning home.

Firefighters were able to get three of the five children out of the structure. They were taken to an area hospital where they were pronounced dead. Two other children were confirmed dead at the scene."

YOUNGSTOWN FIRE: 5 children, including 1-year-old twins, killed in Ohio house fire

Last edited:
The mom is only 26.

5 children dead in Youngstown fire

Youngstown Police Chaplin Reverend Lewis Macklin tells us the name of the mother of the children is 26-year-old America Negron Acevedo.

Acevedo made it out of the house but was injured. Capt. Kurt Wright says she jumped from a second story window of the home.

She was taken to St. Elizabeth Hospital in downtown Youngstown. Her condition is not yet being released.

bbm

'Devastating loss,' community reacts to Youngstown deadly house fire
The fire broke out about 11:30 p.m. Sunday on Parkcliffe Avenue.

"The little kids this is going to impact them. They are going to need a lot of loving, that's all I can say. They've lost a schoolmate. This is something little kids are not supposed to know about. It is just not," Davis said.

Youngstown City Fire Chief Barry Finley said the toll on firefighters is substantial. He said he is working to provide support for them.

"It's very hard for us. Firefighters and police officers, all our safety forces. Something like this we give 110 percent. Things happen the way they happen and it's just something we have to deal with.
We will have someone for our firefighters to talk to," Finley said. "

How horrible! When I was a teen, a near identical situation happened nearby. A mother and her oldest child survived, the husband was at work, and the four younger children died in the fire. The mother sustained injuries jumping from the second story window. So tragic.

Mom screamed for help amid Ohio house fire that killed 5 kids
"YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio -- An anguished mother, naked and bleeding, banged on the door of the house across the street and screamed for help in a fruitless plea to save her five children as a late-night fire swallowed their Ohio home, a neighbour said Monday.

Fire officials in Youngstown said the woman jumped from a second-story window and was the only survivor of the Sunday blaze that killed the children. They ranged in age from 1 to 9, the youngest being twins.

Neighbour Aaron Baldwin said by the time he awoke from the woman banging on his door, her house was engulfed in flames and there was no way for neighbours to rush inside.

"It was horrible. It was the worst thing you have to see," said Baldwin, 28, who also has five young children. "I'm seeing myself in her predicament."

There has got to be more to this. What mother leaves her 5 children in a burning house??? I don’t have kids but I would get my dog out before I got myself out of a burning house.
I am a mother, and I agree. If nothing else, I would take all my children to a window and jump with the little ones and then have my bigger ones jump down to me and try my best to catch them. Broken legs and arms, perhaps, but still alive and very repair-able (so to speak). Something, anything. If nothing else, I would gently drop them out the window, and I'd be the last one out of the house -- if I could get to them at all. That's what we don't know. Maybe the children's rooms were already engulfed, and that's why she jumped out of the window alone.
It could be that the younger children may have already been overcome with the smoke, and were not breathing when she checked on them -- if she had time to do that. She may not have been able to get to any of them. We may never know.

We should get a report from the Fire Inspector (or whatever name) sometime fairly soon since there were multiple deaths involved.

Last edited:
There has got to be more to this. What mother leaves her 5 children in a burning house??? I don’t have kids but I would get my dog out before I got myself out of a burning house.

I thought it sounded shady at first, but the more I hear about it, I don't. I don't know what it's like to be in a fire, but it may not be one of those things you can force yourself into, no matter how much adrenaline. It certainly doesn't sound like it. Maybe she thought getting someone else to help her get them out was her best option.

Those poor firefighters.

I agree. I'm more interested in how it spread that fast even with working smoke detectors. Absolutely horrifying. Losing a child at all would be absolutely horrific. These situations where the parent loses ALL of their children at once are incomprehensible.

i've been a fire twice, the smoke is worse than the flame, and if your children are not in the same room as you, it's extremely hard to make the decision to jump out first to get help or to make the choice to run blindly into a smokey room feeling for a child by their screams and the two of you not suffocating trying to get out.

Did anyone see the news story mentioning ther family was just settling into this home as their previous apartment was lost in a fire as well?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back