8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I understand there are "closet drinkers," I do not think Diane was one.

She had a very good job and was a mother who was a perfectionist. There were no signs at all.

Yes, I understand the toxicology report. But, I think something happened. What happened is a mystery.
Her family is trying to portray her as some sort of angel.
And yet her husband admits she was a pot user.
So this so-called perfectionist with a good job was using pot, by her husband's own admission. Then pot was found in her tox screen. I don't see any mystery here.

Dymphna

O/T But I agree with your quote depression is an illness. It for the strong cause only they can endure it. You would not wish on your worst enemy

BBM...Thank you, and I understand. Love the bolded part!!

Sorry for the OT

wait a minute, didn't the driver of the Bastardi vehicle have alcohol in their system too? or was that proven false (it's been a long time since I've read about this case)?

Even if he had alcohol in his system, it would not have anything to do with this wreck. Remember, Diane was driving THE WRONG WAY on the highway. This was entirely her fault.

Yes. But I just wanted to know if that was a factor. My understanding is if they were intoxicated as well it could affect their insurance payout. Under the insurance and police guidelines they are considered crashes not accidents now and if you were drunk they could come back and say that they let you could have avoided by swerving out the way or so on. Look I believe it was her fault and she made a terrible decision to drink and drive. I am also not trying to disparage the Bastardi family either. I just never heard that and wanted to know if this was in any way true.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

No, it's not true. Why are false rumors being spread? There has never been anything reported regarding alcohol in the other car.
If somebody makes a claim, they need to provide a link. NO such link was provided. Because no such thing was ever reported.
:banghead:

These are my latest guesses.

DS was a closet alcoholic.

She was in search of a pain-killer the next morning, due to a hang-over and not being able to take the edge off with more alcohol (because she was going to see her brother and sister-in-law and was driving.)

She was throwing up due to that situation.

She was angry the next morning due to the situation. You see it by the way she pulled out of the gas station in surveillance video on Utube.

She did start taking the edge off, but went too far with the vodka and McDonald's orange juice.

She did not want to be found drunk in the van by the side of the road by her brother.

She was angry that one of her nieces called her mom to say Diane was acting strange. According to the niece's mom, Jackie, she recalled that Diane said the girls were just playing around (DS is trying to cover up the fiasco she has created).But by this time DS is slurring her words, so she's blowing her own cover.

She may have been jealous of Jackie and her 3 nieces and her marriage .

Either in a drunken state and confusion she went the wrong way down the highway. Or due to the fiasco she had created, and her drunken state, she went on a murder/suicide mission.

Just some thoughts. What are other's theories?

I've been obsessed with this story since it happened. I'm in NJ and have driven part of that route on trips from MA and CT. The area near the Tappan Zee is confusing when sober. I drove it once with a migraine (that I got while at an amusement park in MA). I overshot my exit and had to turn around and go back. I wonder if DS got confused and found herself on a totally different road....

Having said that...she could also have done it intentionally, since he knew others were coming to get her and her last location was after the TZB. Maybe she thought she would go a little out of her way and get some distance on them. Unfortunately, we'll never know.

There were reports that she was driving erratically on the Taconic going the "right" way (away from her home). She obviously got off and back on again, mistaking the exit for an entrance (easy to do when drunk and high).

Sad, sad story. My heart breaks for that little boy.

"These are my latest guesses.

DS was a closet alcoholic.

She was in search of a pain-killer the next morning, due to a hang-over and not being able to take the edge off with more alcohol (because she was going to see her brother and sister-in-law and was driving.)

She was throwing up due to that situation.

She was angry the next morning due to the situation. You see it by the way she pulled out of the gas station in surveillance video on Utube.

She did start taking the edge off, but went too far with the vodka and McDonald's orange juice.

She did not want to be found drunk in the van by the side of the road by her brother."

pbj: I think you've hit the nail on the head! And actually, I've never before thought about it being a raging hangover from the night before. She also could have been a "binge alcoholic".

So hubby is likely lying through his teeth. Unless she was SUCH a closet drinker that she waited until he was asleep to drink the night before.

I once spent a couples weekend with an alcoholic. I was an early riser. This guy was drinking at 6:00am. He called it "the hair of the dog", where they drink again and get drunk again to get ride of the hangover.

A couple of things from the interview:
When husband was asked to describe his "entire day" during the interview, he started out with something like "I got up at 5:30am and then cleaned his boat". I remember thinking that it was a really early hour for him to get up while on a vacation weekend. But perhaps he had fallen asleep really early the night before?

Then he described waking Diane up - and he said either "slowly" or "very slowly". And for whatever reason, that caught my ear. He was telling her it was time to start packing the car for the trip home. If hungover, she likely did not want to get up and start working to pack the car.

Alcohol found in her stomach - This really surprised me. It was a LOT to still be in her stomach. And it still even being in her stomach is an indication that it was quite recent. Because in a two hour drive home, it is not likely there would have been that much alcohol in the stomach itself.

I wonder if she did not have alcohol in the morning at the campground, alcohol into the orange juice at McDonalds, and alcohol again after she threw up at the Plaza?

And - I wonder when she would have smoked a joint? The night before? That morning? Surely not in the car with those children?

I asked a relative about the possibility of a long-standing infected tooth causing psychosis or a stroke. He said he'd never heard of it. He has seen long-standing infection, said it is a low level infection. Sometimes the immune system fights off the infection. When it is unable to do so, it becomes an abscess and the pain drives the patient to a dentist. Who then - of course - want immediate attention!

Another thing I wondered about: The description of the amazing level of energy Diane had, according to her mother. The mother wondered how the daughter ever found the time to do all the things she did. This, along with the girlfriend demonstrating how Diane had been making side to side motions with her jaw in the weeks before her death, made me think of amphetamines/diet pills. I've seen people using amphetamines who make that type of a jaw motion.

I can't remember if any other drugs were found in her system. But there was a report of a list of her prescriptions shown within this program. Ambien was on there.

I doubt the husband will ever tell all that he knows. Or maybe he truly was in the dark about all of it. But if he was coming home from work at 11:00PM and she was shytefaced, that's pretty hard to miss.

The smell of alcohol on a person is hard to miss. And not just on the breath, it comes out of their pores.

By the way just wanted to point out that family's private investigator re-did the toxicology test (by sending her samples to a lab) and the results came in the same. And DNA matched Diane.
I don't think that documentary dug as deep as it could have.
I think they tried to make in nice for Diane's family.

Diane worked for Cablevision, the company that produced the show. Not saying it was presented in her favor deliberately, but maybe they did t to cover their butts (since hubby is suing everyone).

I also wonder where she smoked the joint. She reportedly stopped a few times on the road, maybe then?

By the way just wanted to point out that family's private investigator re-did the toxicology test (by sending her samples to a lab) and the results came in the same. And DNA matched Diane.
I don't think that documentary dug as deep as it could have.
I think they tried to make in nice for Diane's family.

I found myself wondering how/if the doc would have been different had Diane's brother and sister-in-law participated. Please don't misunderstand -- I absolutely respect their choice not to participate -- but I would have liked to hear a perspective on Diane from her family members (even it had been a different brother).

Thanks Always Shocked and a shout out to tapu who nailed the thinking process of an alcoholic early on. My guess is that she would drink throughout the day, but hid it well. Unless he was in denial, it would seem that the husband knew...but his attorneys probably advised him to focus on her strengths. She may have had a bipolar aspect to her personality, with the at times extravagant spending , etc......or maybe she was drunk at the time. Peace out.

I don't think that Diane was a regular drinker. MOO is that she drank and smoked pot to get up the nerve to kill herself because that is what she wanted to do. I know a lot of people think that she didn't commit suicide but that was always what I thought from the beginning. Very sad.

I don't think that Diane was a regular drinker. MOO is that she drank and smoked pot to get up the nerve to kill herself because that is what she wanted to do. I know a lot of people think that she didn't commit suicide but that was always what I thought from the beginning. Very sad.

But why would she take out a car load of innocent children and a vehicle of others that she didn't know?Couldn't she have just driven by herself?

Just bizarre I tell ya.

I don't think she was trying to kill herself.
We know she was a pot smoker-that was admitted to by the husband.
Add alcohol on top of pot-during the documentary it was said that pot can intensify effects of alcohol.
So, she could very well have believed she was the one going the right way, while everybody else was going the wrong way, due to intoxication by alcohol and pot.

I don't think she was trying to kill herself.
We know she was a pot smoker-that was admitted to by the husband.
Add alcohol on top of pot-during the documentary it was said that pot can intensify effects of alcohol.
So, she could very well have believed she was the one going the right way, while everybody else was going the wrong way, due to intoxication by alcohol and pot.

Very well could have been Jenny.She had high levels of THC correct?It wasn't like she was puffing on ragweed.

http://pysih.com/2010/01/23/diane-schuler-an-interesting-perspective/

Interesting post packerdog. Here's an indepth article that supports you.
Pbj, thank you for posting the article. Its was very informative. I don't recall reading about Diane and chicken food at McDonald's. She actually convinced the manager to make chicken during breakfast?

I'm sticking to my first opinion of what may have happened and that is DS left the campsite extremely mad and it escalated during the call with her brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissingWithoutAnswers