8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what else pizzes me off? That so many people saw her swerving and driving aggressively early in the trip and no one called 911.

What I don't get is, WHY would she after just drinking 10oz of vodka and smoking a joint, call her brother and complain about being disoriented?! Certainly she knew why she felt that way. So why the phone call? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Exactly, that's what I don't get. WHY did she make that phone call to her brother?

Don't know how that would work, SCM. I should have been clearer though. The news reporter stated that a criminal investigation would be opened to look into who knew anything and potentially when they knew it. So it seems like charges could be directed more toward family members or friends at this point, which could also explain why relatives aren't cooperating any longer.

Okay - like, did the family know she was loaded when she got in the car - or when she called her brother?

Exactly, that's what I don't get. WHY did she make that phone call to her brother?

Maybe she didn't say she was disoriented. Perhaps that's what he may have told police she said. We have no real way of knowing what truly got said during that phone call. I agree though...makes no sense at all. Why call?

Personally, I think that this was an intentional murder/suicide. Nevertheless it is incomprehensible. I can only imagine that this woman was not only in an extremely altered chemical state but also deeply disturbed.

Once that heart attack, stroke, etc. were ruled out I saw it as a suicide/homicide. She might not have been an alcoholic/pot head, but only drank/smoked that day to give her courage for what she was about to do.

I personally find it impossible to believe that the family let her drive off with those children knowing she was loaded - just don't buy that for a second.

Now, what might have been known when she called her brother, I can't say. Her brother told her to stay put and he was coming to get her, so if he thought she was impaired, he was trying to get to her and the children.

I can't imagine her husband would have let her leave the campground with his own kids in the vehicle if he thought she was drunk.

I also can't imagine the brother would have let her anywhere near his kids if he thought she might, at any point during the trip, get that drunk or high.

They may have in some way enabled her addiction, but would anyone knowingly allow their own children to be put at risk that way?

She may have called to say she was disoriented, but, thinking like an addict, she wouldn't have attributed that to her drug and alcohol use. Or at least admitted it to her brother.

I suspect she had the vodka and pot tucked away for the ride home, and started using once she left the campground.

Once that heart attack, stroke, etc. were ruled out I saw it as a suicide/homicide. She might not have been an alcoholic/pot head, but only drank/smoked that day to give her courage for what she was about to do.

I consider that a very likely possibility.

SCM - thank you for all of your posts.:blowkiss:

With all due respect to your theory, I question how a normally non-using working mother could score enough pot to get as stoned as she was per the tox screens.

I will admit I toked in my youth, but today I wouldn't have a clue as to where I could get drugs. And frankly, I'd be petrified to ask for fear I'd get myself into trouble somehow.

And if she didn't drink on a regular basis, that much vodka would have either made her vomit or pass out, not be able to keep driving.

I also am remembering the MD family of five who were killed by a drunk driver in OH during last year's holidays. The driver was also extremely drunk, got onto a highway going in the wrong direction and slammed into the family head-on. He was driving an over-sized pickup truck and they were driving a minivan which basically shattered when he hit them.

In his case, his family knew he was drunk and called police to look for him. He also went thru a drive-thru and the cashier recognized he was drunk and called police. They immediately started searching for him.

Suppose the brother only said his sister was disoriented and not intoxicated. The police still searched for her, but maybe not with the same kind of urgency. And I still say if the brother had any inkling his sister was that messed up, with HIS kids in the vehicle, he would have said so when he called police. JMHO

A comment from the NYT blog
"I was directly behind this accident when it occured! the bodies, the smoke, the smashed cars, people screaming, tarp over the car,………has left me in pain for days………..
I drove home trembling……taking my child and trying so hard to explain……”speeding” is so wrong!
Now ……..I beg all you parents, children, and people who drive DRUNK or on Drugs to think seriously…about GET TING HELP!!! or if you know someone who has a problem….open your mouth………..and get them help!
As for the husband, brother, and sister-in-law……….
HOW DARE YOU ALLOW HER TO DRIVE THOSE CHILDREN!!! (I’m sure you knew she had a problem)
I will continue to pray for all who passed…………may god be with them all!"

You know what else pizzes me off? That so many people saw her swerving and driving aggressively early in the trip and no one called 911.

I was thinking the same thing, but according to this report; six people called 911 to report her erratic driving before the final crash:

Six drivers called 911 before the collision, which happened after Schuler drove 1.7 miles south in the parkway's northbound lane.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=6948725

wow...toxicologist just said equivalent of 10 drinks still in her.

Marijuana was recent - 15 minutes to one hour prior to accident.

Sorry, crew - but I haven't read all of the particulars.

If anyone else was around her when she drove off with the kids - perhaps they didn't know she had drank that much before she got into the car.

I guess I should read more before I spout off - but can anyone narrate the real story in a nutshell?

If her husband was with her during the camping trip and right up until she left with the kids, wouldn't he have noticed? Where was he when she was downing the vodka and smoking the pot?

It just all sounds so strange to me.

I'm just horrified by this whole story.

I think they need to interview Daniel Schuler, again, and get his voicemails from his cellphone. Apparently Diane tried to call him at 1:02 pm before calling her brother - and he did not pick up the phone.

I'd also like to know what she was doing for the missing ~2 hours. At the point she made the 1:02 pm phone calls to her brother from the Tappan Zee, she was 3 1/2 hours into her trip. And it should only take about 1.75 hours to get to that point.

Warren Hance had to know. The whole family had to know. I can just imagine the conversation he had with Diane at 1:02, she slurring her words saying: "Warren, I can't see straight". Um, yeah, he's "shocked" by the toxocology report. I bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli