a view from the inside: observations from our own court observers #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Appears the jury is keeping better track of JA's lies than she is!

Question for court watchers: I know the big note takers are TriColor, Ponytail and a couple others--curious if "Paul Rudd" and "CEO" take a lot of notes?

They have been big note takers throughout the trial. Much less so now. This past week I noticed a big difference in their note taking (lack thereof). Both of them look frustrated and exhausted and irritated to me. Much less on the note taking. THem and ALL the males actually(but they took the most notes of the men).

Katiecoolady: just read the stories for which you provided links about your sister's murder and how you came to be "katiecoolady". I've gained a whole new perspective that magnifies my admiration for you. Here, I thought you were just this cool woman with a lot of free time on her hands who has a "thing" for live trials. You're all that and much more.

I, for one, appreciate more than the limits of our language can convey your insider reporting, because it's unfiltered and real: you get to be where many of us would LIKE to be but can't, and what you write is what our brains would be absorbing were we to be there. Your notes from yesterday were especially riveting.

Here's one exchange we all NEED to hear at least once before this is all over with:
Nurmi: "Objection! Judge, may we approach?"
Judge Stevens: "No. Sit down and shut up. Mr. Martinez, please continue your beat down."
Nurmi: "But..."
Judge Stevens: "I said shut up."
Nurmi: "OK." (takes out peanut butter and jelly sandwich and starts chewing on it).

Hate to rain on anyone's post-JM follow up elation, but: it occurs to me that Jodi Arias wants to die. This, for her, is all a big show. She clearly remembers vividly every single nanosecond of her slaughtering of Travis. She's playing games with people's heads - something even her legions of detractors must admit she is very good at. She knows the jury isn't buying her nonsense. She enjoys the verbal sparring with JM. She is not concerned in the least about piffling little things like perjury, remorse or being liked.

This is the Jodi Arias Show. She sticks to the script that she hopes ultimately leads to a death sentence. She figures it's going to happen no matter what she says or does at this point, so why not have some more fun at Travis and his family's expense with the eyes of the world upon her? She knows no matter what happens this is the last time so many people are ever going to care about her, even if by "caring" we include wanting her to suffer mightily for her crime and subsequent attitude.

Our system of justice has yet to devise a method of submitting this defendant to enough painful physical, mental and emotional torment to truly avenge what she did to Travis Alexander. Our options appear to be the death penalty, which amounts to 15 years of appeals followed by a needle and an eternal nap; or life in prison (preferably without the possibility of parole). That is only an adequate sentence if she is locked in a cold dark cell for 23 hours a day with NO contact from other inmates or visitors from the outside, no access to television, books or the internet and if the walls of the cell are plastered with images from the crime scene.

In either case, the reality of what she did to this man and the yeoman's efforts she has undertaken to continue to "kill" him in her testimony is going to make whatever punishment she receives feel hollow. Be prepared for that.

It IS however going to feel so utterly satisfying to watch Mr. Martinez "choke her out" in the coming days during follow up and rebuttal. He has seemingly been the only one since this whole trial began that has - at least for a few instances - exposed whatever remaining humanity she has in her: getting her to sob uncontrollably while calmly asking her if she was crying during the crime. That clip will be required viewing for every coming generation of prosecutors in training.

I think I have a man crush on JM. I admit it. Either that or I'm just projecting how badly I wish I could have a chance to be the prosecutor at this trial. Not that I have any experience in the field, but I would just like to go all Perry Mason on her. I am certain we haven't yet seen even the BEST of Juan Martinez. His summation will be hypnotizing.

So, katiecoolady, I heart you, too. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication. Your sister would be WAY proud.

What a wonderful and interesting post which is why I copied the entire thing. I find it fascinating that you think she has a death wish. I don't think she's ever been suicidal. I think she's somewhat prepared for a life in prison and I do also think she's enjoying this "Jodi Arias Speaks!" performance. I also think she's equally enjoying inflicting further suffering on his family.

I'll have to think about the rest of it...and I do ruminate about things like this at times. You sure wonder why more inmates in those DR conditions don't commit suicide. Do they hold out on hope that they will be released one day? I also relish the idea of JM's summation. But before that we have more "recross" of Arias via the jury questions AND a caustic rebuttal case (which I've said all along is where she'll be convicted but imo we've crossed that threshold).

Anyway, thank you for putting the time and thought in to this very interesting and kind post. I heart ya my crazy Mr. Landers.

Katiecool - question if you don't mind.

Nurmi presented Ms. Arias with copies of supposed suicide letters she sent to her Grandmum for safe keeping. When he tried to admit them as evidence, JM objected and a sidebar ensued. Did you note what the objection was ? I assume the letters were not admitted as it seems there was no further 20 hours of Nurmi discussing them with the murderess. Do you know the status - were they admitted or tossed, if you know. Thank you. :D

Just to clarify - these are the letters she supposedly sent to her Grandmum (to be given to various people) not to be opened until November. I did not catch the year but supposedly written while in custody.

Juror asked about them in the tape Day 29 Part 1 at approx 52:52
Nurmi gave her a copy of them to review in Day 29 Part 2 between 13:20 and 17:22
At some point Nurmi tried to introduce them but JM objected. The tape continues on with exhibits 510 and 522 which are journal entries - he doesn't raise the issue of the so called letters again. Any insight would be helpful as it seems to me, they were never admitted but I could well be wrong.

I'm just as in the dark about the suicide letters as you are. Maybe by now your question has been answered...???

What about Happy Hour after court? I don't want to post about it if it's not allowed. Thanks. :)

Did you feel that it finally sunk in to JA the jury isn't buying her story and thato she underestimated JM as well?

Thanks for your reports PASA!!! Do you know where JA's buddy Donovan has disappeared to? I haven't seen her in the courtroom since the magazine debacle lol!! TIA!

No, I sure don't. I couldn't get in Wednesday, but would have seen her in the hall at lunch and afternoon break.
No sign of her Thursday either. I got to the courthouse about 11:30.

By magazine debacle do you mean the smuggled ones out of the jail? At first I thought there may have been an article about her. But, now am thinking it's the smuggled coded magazines. :
Either way, she's been MIA.

wow, katie. i can hardly find the words to comment on this article and your whole story. i too have a sister who i have that best friend/sister bond with. for those of us lucky enough to have it, we know it's just about the closest relationship a woman can share with another. i'd be lost without her. i talk to her and hear her in my head throughout the day----i know what she'd think about things, or what she'd tell me to do. not to mention the hours we burn up on the phone and all the fun we have when we're together.

when she got cancer last year, i convinced her to come here and get her treatment at M.D. Anderson. only the best for her, i said. she was here, away from her husband, her home, her sons and her grandchildren for 7 months. nobody else could ever understand what that was like. it was our journey and ours alone. the thing is, she said she wouldn't have it any other way. if anyone was going to be in charge of her care, she wouldn't want it to be anyone but me. so i get the sister thing, which gives me SOME understanding how horrible it had to be to lose your sister, especially the way you did. my heart aches for you.

as a rape survivor, i really wanted to help others. i felt it would be good for me, and good for them. i helped 2 women---one was a patient of my husband's who had been raped in her home, with her children present. her rapist was never caught. she was so traumatized, she couldn't even remember what he looked like, and her children remembered some things, but not enough to narrow it down. the other woman was sent to me via a friend, and i listened to her story and went to court with her when her rapist was tried and convicted. she broke my heart---a nurse like me, who was attacked in the parking garage when she arrived at work.

but i found going through this with them brought it all back for me---the 6 hours i spent in a locked taxi with my rapist, the threat of death, at one point i decided death was preferable to spending another minute with him, and then i saw my salvation-----a car with 2 men who stopped to ask if he needed assistance (he was parked in the grass at a park where there were no people in sight, and these guys were going to the archery range behind it), and i escaped with their help to safety. but i was never the same. you never are, no matter how many years go by.

i decided i either wasn't ready to be an advocate or that it was just something i wasn't cut out for. it just drained me so much that i felt physically sick. maybe it's a weakness but whatever it is, i've had to accept that it's the way i am, and i can't force myself to be something else.

so i admire you beyond what words can convey for what you do. i'm sure you mean so much to the people you've touched and you probably don't even know it. but you sure have a fan here. i just want to send love and good things your way---from me to you. i would love to BE you but i'll settle for knowing you, a little, on this boards. ((((((big strong hugs to you)))))

Another one to repost in it's entirety because it's worth it. Thank you so much.

I wanted to conclude my posting tonite with some thoughts that came to me today about participating in a forum such as this.

It's not uncommon in my life for me to find myself on the "front lines" of a situation such as this. Which is kind of confusing to me honestly as I am more likely to aspire to be Madonna's back up dancer/singer than her, herself. ;)

But anyway, I am sincere when I say that the only way I can pull any of this off is the fact that I feel I am deeply embedded in a web of others that are holding me up and propelling me forward, others like you I mean.

What keeps me sane in the courtroom and even going each day is the fact that I feel a part of something larger and that is connected and that I can provide a service. I'm not playing when I say the writing is what keeps me sane. I have moments where I literally feel like I"m going to stand up and run out of the courtroom...so I pick up my pen and start writing. I don't think I'm alone after comparing this to the other observers who are also note taking.

What I wanted to say though is to anyone reading this that I truly believe (and know) that if "all you are doing" is sitting at home, reading, lurking, feeling a feeling of compassion for this family, that is enough. That is your role. If you are releasing your own tears for your own tragedy (which believe me I know there are many many unspoken tragedies on this board..my pm box gets filled with their stories), you are healing and this is enough. If you are sending me a note of support, that is enough. If you are making a donation to the family, that is enough. If you are feeling called to come to court and doing what it takes to get there, that is enough and exactly what your role is here. No one of us is "higher" or "lower" . We are all part of something living breathing and interacting playing the roles we are intended to play. I hope I am making sense here.

If one people feels a sense of healing and inspiration through this horrible tragedy, a part of Travis' life and message is not in vain.

And I do know that Travis' family feels that. In fact Tanisha described something like this to me almost identical this week. They feel it.

I hope I convey a sense of connectedness through my posts because that is my intention. I need to feel this. This helps me cope and find meaning.

So...with that, I go back to my deep reflection I seem to have found myself in this evening.

And....on one final note, now that I know of the diagnosis of "Pseudo Bulbar Affect", if I DO ever lose it and burst out with emotion in the courtroom, I do think I will be able to explain it through this diagnostic label. And I doubt anyone will argue with me...for obvious reasons. And if I get any good drugs to treat it, I am a sharing kinda gal.

:seeya: :eek:fftobed:

Isn't happy hour with OTHER courtoom obersvers, PART of your research? :D

Yes! Tell us ALL!:great:

Just sayin'
fran

ps... have I told you all of our courtroom obeservers :yourock:

I thought it was, but when I read the admonition I wanted to be sure. I try to play by the rules as best I can. :)

I'm whooped tonight, so the last of court session and happy hour will be tomorrow. It will give us something to talk about since there will be no court until Wednesday.

Thanks Fran, you rock too. :)

What a wonderful and interesting post which is why I copied the entire thing. I find it fascinating that you think she has a death wish. I don't think she's ever been suicidal. I think she's somewhat prepared for a life in prison and I do also think she's enjoying this "Jodi Arias Speaks!" performance. I also think she's equally enjoying inflicting further suffering on his family.

I'll have to think about the rest of it...and I do ruminate about things like this at times. You sure wonder why more inmates in those DR conditions don't commit suicide. Do they hold out on hope that they will be released one day? I also relish the idea of JM's summation. But before that we have more "recross" of Arias via the jury questions AND a caustic rebuttal case (which I've said all along is where she'll be convicted but imo we've crossed that threshold).

Anyway, thank you for putting the time and thought in to this very interesting and kind post. I heart ya my crazy Mr. Landers.

I don't think she has ever been suicidal. Word for her today is schadenfreude.

Katiecoolady I followed your link and read about your sis. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I don't think she has ever been suicidal. Word for her today is schadenfreude.

Katiecoolady I followed your link and read about your sis. I'm so sorry for your loss.

No kidding...that's IT! And I wonder if we'll hear her misuse that one before her performance on the stand is over.

Thanks for thinking of me. And Cindy. Nite...

I'm just as in the dark about the suicide letters as you are. Maybe by now your question has been answered...???

I do recall her mentioning suicide letters she wrote that were to be opened on a certain day. I don't know what became of them, if they were admitted or??

ja did go on to say the date came and went, but no word if the letters were opened.

Sorry, I don't remember any more than that.

Ohyeah, research indeed. ;) Post gaming. Gossip time. Bonding. Saying cheers to Travis and Juan Martinez. I think all of that qualifies...so thank you! :)

Go on PASA...i wanna read your HH report. ;) (yes I WAS dancing in the bathroom stall there all by myself..so you can start with that lol).

I will start with your bathroom stall victory dance when I do the happy hour notes. ;)

I do recall her mentioning suicide letters she wrote that were to be opened on a certain day. I don't know what became of them, if they were admitted or??

ja did go on to say the date came and went, but no word if the letters were opened.

Sorry, I don't remember any more than that.

Nurmi gave them to her to read before he submitted the as evidence. I didn't catch it but from what I understand JM objected saying something along the lines that she didn't do it so they were irrelevant. Then side bar and next I saw Nurmi got the journal entries in no more mention was made of the letters.

Did you feel that it finally sunk in to JA the jury isn't buying her story and thato she underestimated JM as well?

With her it's hard to know. I think she likes sparring with Mr. Martinez and feels she is smarter than he is. When she thinks she gets one up on him she gets that evil grin that makes my skin crawl.

ja did underestimate JM, he is smarter than her an has dealt with her kind before.
MOO :)

THANK YOU!!! Love reliving those moments, through your eyes! Cheers to Nancy, to you and Katiecoo, too!

(quote See? You felt it too! I only wish we'd done the wave! I did feel a little awkward though when I realized Stacy and I were jumping like little girls on the playground )

I post quite a bit on a facebook page called, "Justice for Travis Alexander". There's about 24,000 of us there now. Great page. The family posts has posted there along with Abe and Chris Hughes (Chris hasn't been there for a while). One gentleman there thought of the idea of starting the fund for Travis's family since none of them live in Arizona. The admins got a hold of Chris Hughes and off it went. We all jumped on that bus quick!

Anyway, during the trial we all do live chat..Well, not all 24,000 (!!!) but probably around 50-100 constant, pretty much the same ones. And on Thursday, when Nurmi :snail: was droning on and on and on, I wrote that I'd rather scrap nails across my eye balls and others made similar comments. I mean, I realize it isn't the same as being in the court room, but really observers, he is quite painful on the computer as well! I stream, as many of you do, so we get every single incredibly boring moment. On Thursday, suddenly, Super Juan shot up and man, there was a momentous shift in my house and on the page! It was astounding and we all just suddenly STOPPED typing and just watched.

My husband just happen to come up and him and I just super glued our attention to Mr. Martinez (the man) as he started to nail her on IF she was telling the truth..And we knew it was going to be good. Him and I just stood there, and I literally was shaking with excitement, and when he started on the bank statement and receipts, I was jumping up in the air, pumping my fist, and yelling, YES, YES! My husband and I were high-fiving too and just had the dumbest, biggest grins on our face. I'm still on the high.

Hope this is OK to place here. I'm only on page 8 of this thread but wanted to thank Katie again for all her hard work. Haven't gotten to PASA's comments yet but want to thank her too. And to let both of them know, and all observers that when you're feeling there, we're feeling it here!

I'm terribly sorry if I shouldn't be putting this here (my second post), but, WOW! I'm stilling smiling. You gotta love that man! :great::dance::lol::fireworks:

Justice for Travis & His Family!
Sparrow

What I wanted to say though is to anyone reading this that I truly believe (and know) that if "all you are doing" is sitting at home, reading, lurking, feeling a feeling of compassion for this family, that is enough. That is your role. If you are releasing your own tears for your own tragedy (which believe me I know there are many many unspoken tragedies on this board..my pm box gets filled with their stories), you are healing and this is enough. If you are sending me a note of support, that is enough. If you are making a donation to the family, that is enough. If you are feeling called to come to court and doing what it takes to get there, that is enough and exactly what your role is here. No one of us is "higher" or "lower" . We are all part of something living breathing and interacting playing the roles we are intended to play. I hope I am making sense here.

So...with that, I go back to my deep reflection I seem to have found myself in this evening.

And....on one final note, now that I know of the diagnosis of "Pseudo Bulbar Affect", if I DO ever lose it and burst out with emotion in the courtroom, I do think I will be able to explain it through this diagnostic label. And I doubt anyone will argue with me...for obvious reasons. And if I get any good drugs to treat it, I am a sharing kinda gal.

:seeya: :eek:fftobed:

Respectfully snipped:

Well said, an so very, very true.

Once the verdict is read I think several people will suddenly be affected with Pseudo Bulbar Affect. :)

G'nite.

Am I blind? I can't find the screen shot of Beth wearing her jewelry. Did it get deleted or can I just not see it...???

(quote See? You felt it too! I only wish we'd done the wave! I did feel a little awkward though when I realized Stacy and I were jumping like little girls on the playground )

I'm terribly sorry if I shouldn't be putting this here (my second post), but, WOW! I'm stilling smiling. You gotta love that man! :great::dance::lol::fireworks:

Justice for Travis & His Family!
Sparrow

Welcome Sparrow! I am familiar with the FB page and do read there when I can.
Websleuths is victim friendly as well.

Great post, btw.

:wagon:

Am I blind? I can't find the screen shot of Beth wearing her jewelry. Did it get deleted or can I just not see it...???

Is it in thread #2? If you want help looking LMK. It was a video posted by A_News_Junkie, I think?

Nurmi gave them to her to read before he submitted the as evidence. I didn't catch it but from what I understand JM objected saying something along the lines that she didn't do it so they were irrelevant. Then side bar and next I saw Nurmi got the journal entries in no more mention was made of the letters.

Hmmm, maybe the sidebar was during afternoon break?
I've been in the courtroom at the start of break-time and there has
been a side-bar. I think at home we see the seal as soon as break starts
even if there is some court business (side-bar) going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kitty Marie