a view from the inside: observations from our own court observers #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the back and forth between Nurmi and Judge S. today, it seems Alyce was in a closed proceedure at I think 1:15 today. From what was said, the Judge ruled that Juan had not crossed the bounds in his questioning of Alyce on another day in closed chambers.

I think Juan stated (in response to Nurmi stating he was calling Juan out as using misconduct or whatever in his questioning of Alyce IN THAT PREVIOUS day in closed chambers)....that whatever was brought out about Alyce was brought out by his questioning her.

If that makes sense, I think Alyce chose to come today vs coming to court tomorrow. Remember Judge S. left it up to her what day Monday or Tuesday she chose to come. Judge S specifically stated today that Juan had not been out of bounds in that previous session of questioning in chambers. And she denied the mistrial on that matter, also.

Minds busy right now :) so maybe someone can state this better :) I want to know also what the heck it was about :)

ITA Protectourkids, the judge stated before recess that a sealed meeting with Miss LaViolette would be held at 1:15. I am of the opinion that whatever the matter was was heard today and that ALV has finished her testimony for the defense.

If that makes sense, I think Alyce chose to come today vs coming to court tomorrow. Remember Judge S. left it up to her what day Monday or Tuesday she chose to come. Judge S specifically stated today that Juan had not been out of bounds in that previous session of questioning in chambers. And she denied the mistrial on that matter, also.
Beth Karas reported today that ALV was not there, not sure if she's been dismissed?

I'll have to go back and listen to that part today as I thought Judge S. said we have ALV at 115 today. Off to listen to it...I understood they did it in chambers today.....

Beth Karas reported today that ALV was not there, not sure if she's been dismissed?

I thought a witness had to be dismissed from the stand in front of the jury.

This is total speculation, but maybe the reason that Beth Karas reported that she had not seen ALV come in or out of the court today is because ALV came incognito (she reports having threats against her) or perhaps she was present telephonically. IDK just throwing my thoughts out there.

I am able to answer your questions, I think. Court starts at 9:30 tomorrow. I believe the judge will ask the defense to call their next witness, to which they'll (hopefully) respond "The defense rests." And then, yes, Juan will start his rebuttal case.

From today's testimony, whatever happened in chambers with ALV was obviously VERY damning and upsetting, as Juan and the judge eluded to. I look forward to learning what it was that Juan and his team turned up that obviously went against ALV somehow.

I think a friend of hers gave an interview to the media. Also, she is trying to back peddle. She said misspoke when she said jodi shot Travis in the closet. Next she will probably say she misspoke when she said the knife was on the nigntstand. This must have upset the DT.

This is total speculation, but maybe the reason that Beth Karas reported that she had not seen ALV come in or out of the court today is because ALV came incognito (she reports having threats against her) or perhaps she was present telephonically. IDK just throwing my thoughts out there.

Beth was in the courtroom during the arguments and the eye guy, ALV could have arrived and brought back to chambers or another room without Beth seeing her.

ITA Protectourkids, the judge stated before recess that a sealed meeting with Miss LaViolette would be held at 1:15. I am of the opinion that whatever the matter was was heard today and that ALV has finished her testimony for the defense.

Thank you,Tx, I just went back and reviewed it.

[video=youtube;YAg61ML1MPo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAg61ML1MPo[/video]

At 51:45 Juan points out that in the previous questioning of ALV in sealed court records....basically, if not for his questioning, the information (whatever it was) about ALV would not have been revealed.

And at 104:00 or approximately you can hear Judge S say the hearing with ALV was today @ 1:15. Maybe, it was cancelled if Beth K. says she was not there. IDK

I just want to know the juicy details :)

I was having an anxiety attack and palpitations thinking we'd have to hear her tomorrow....lol

If I may butt in...I don't think Alyce LaViolette was at the court house today. She told the judge Friday that she had some test's for today. The judge told her not to tell her about her personal life but did tell Alyce LaViolette to be at the court house tomorrow Tuesday 4/16/13.

ETA: I just listened to the utube that ProtectOurKids put up and the judge did say they had a field proceding with Alyce LaViolette at 1:15 today. I don't know what that means, lol.
I apologize for my error.

Beth was in the courtroom during the arguments and the eye guy, ALV could have arrived and brought back to chambers or another room without Beth seeing her.

I agree. There has to be a secret passage to the Judge's chambers. I think the bailiff might have brought ALV the back way during the lunch break. And she might have gone out the same way to avoid the public and the media. JMO

I think a friend of hers gave an interview to the media. Also, she is trying to back peddle. She said misspoke when she said jodi shot Travis in the closet. Next she will probably say she misspoke when she said the knife was on the nigntstand. This must have upset the DT.

I know her friend let it out to the press that she had been to the ER and why. Possibly this friend also told the press that ALV had told them what happened in the judge's chambers. Seeing that I feel ALV took the whole court proceedings so lightly, this could be a possibility. I wouldn't have put it past her to have told her friends what went on behind closed doors.

How many possibilities are there for ALV's potential courtroom infractions?

1. Contempt of court for suggesting a time out for JM;
2. Leaving her glasses in her purse, inevitably causing delays by going to retrieve them;
3. Leaving her cell phone on, causing at least two disruptions;
4. Obfuscating on her responses to the prosecutor;
5. Bringing an entourage of riotous friends to distract the proceedings by laughing out loud during testimony;
6. Misrepresenting her true credentials by padding her C.V.;
7. Calling for her own breaks in the flow of the proceedings;
8. Faking an illness;
9. Lying during testimony in juror responses;
10. Approaching the victim's family in the courtroom.

There may be even more, but this is a pretty good list of possibilities from which to choose something ...

I think she may be in trouble about #9, at least she should be. The juror who asked about how many men she'd testified in court for had a right to know the true answer, as did we all. Perjury, IMO.

Hi Guys, I'm home.

Well as you know, there wasn't a whole lot going on this afternoon. A whole lotta sitting in the hallway and waiting for a whole lotta nuthin special.

But I made the most of my time in the hallway with a pretty substantial little chat with Beth Karas about how things are gonna go down from here on out, the penalty phase, timing etc.

So, I'll share that.

Ok so it looks like tomorrow will start rebuttal with Juan (yay).

It's expected he will go all of this week and next week.

Then immediately, without delay will be closing arguments. First Juan, then Defense then Juan gets up for one final closing remarks.

Then it goes to the jury for the GUILT decision. Depending on what charges land, they will decide GUILT for first degree or any lesser charges. No one will be surprised to guess what I think will happen in this phase: GUILT ON FIRST DEGREE MURDER

Ok so now if that conviction comes in (which I believe it will), we go to the Aggravation Hearing.

The Agg. Hearing will decide one thing and is guided by Martinez. It's decided whether the crime meets the criteria for "cruel" as defined in the statute which qualifies it for the Death Penalty (again I think by now everyone knows where i stand here--I believe it does and believe it will qualify). I put the legal definition for "especially cruel" on the next page here.

THen the jury deliberates again on this and comes back with a decision: cruelty met or not.

If the criteria for cruelty has been met, then we go to the Mitigation phase. If it's not been met then there will be no mitigation and it's decided LIFE will be the sentence and it's handed to the Judge who then decides whether it's Life WITH or WITHOUT Parole.

I don't think this will occur though.

The Mitigation phase will last longer probably than the Aggravation Phase because witnesses will be called and the entire point of this phase is to try and save Jodi Arias' life (which I do not believe will be successful). I'm sure family will testify and others (ALV was purportedly slated for this which I seriously doubt will happen now). Jodi herself may make a statement , not for cross examination but just a statement which I suspect she will during this phase.

THen it goes back to the jury again to decide whether or not the aggravating circumstances outweigh the mitigating circumstances and will come back with a recommendation of LIFE or DEATH (which I believe the latter is secure imo).

Once that decision is reached and declared, the jury is discharged and it now goes to the Judge to impose sentence in 30-60 days and there will be another hearing where sentence will be imposed. The jury's finding of DEATH , if they do, will be binding, meaning the Judge can't go down. If it is LIFE, she decides LWOP or LWP. It's then when Victim Impact Statements will be read. And Jodi will find herself transferred to her new abode which imo will be on AZ Death Row.

HLN will cover the entire trial until the jury is discharged. It's unlikely they will be there for the final handing down of the sentence but surely local media will film it and cover it on a live feed.

Beth predicts a verdict on or by May 3.

Then we go in to the Aggravation phase which, she thinks will be immediate and no breaks to prepare.

I hope this helps! I found it extraordinarily instructive and many thanks to our wonderful Beth Karas who is so open and willing to share her vast knowledge!

:seeya:

Thank you,Tx, I just went back and reviewed it.

Jodi Arias Trial - Day 47 - Misconduct/Evidentairy Hearing - Part 2 - YouTube

At 51:45 Juan points out that in the previous questioning of ALV in sealed court records....basically, if not for his questioning, the information (whatever it was) about ALV would not have been revealed.

And at 104:00 or approximately you can hear Judge S say the hearing with ALV was today @ 1:15. Maybe, it was cancelled if Beth K. says she was not there. IDK

I just want to know the juicy details :)

I was having an anxiety attack and palpitations thinking we'd have to hear her tomorrow....lol

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Defintion of "especially cruel" in the AZ statute:

http://www.supreme.state.az.us/courtserv/CrtProj/capsentguid/F6.htm

Especially “Cruel"; (The victim-oriented factor)
The Court's interpretation of "especially cruel" encompasses the mental anguish and physical pain of the victim. State v. Clark, 126 Ariz. 428, 616 P.2d 888 (1980). Sometimes the case law uses “mental distress” and sometimes it uses “mental anguish. See State v. Carriger, 143 Ariz. 142, 160, 692 P.2d 991, 1009 (1984) (“mental distress”); State v. Murdaugh, 209 Ariz. 19, 30, 97 P.3d 844, 855 (2004) (“mental anguish”). To find that a victim suffered mental anguish or physical pain, the Court must find beyond a reasonable doubt that (1) the victim was conscious during at least some portion of the crime and that (2) the defendant knew or should have known that the victim would suffer. State v. Trostle, 191 Ariz. 4, 951 P.2d 869 (1997). See State v. Moody, 208 Ariz. 424, 94 P.3d 1119 (2004) (court refused to uphold this factor on a Ring harmless error review where the evidence showed clearly that the victims did suffer, but there was disputed evidence as to whether the defendant was capable of knowing that they were suffering).
Mental anguish includes a victim's contemplation of his or her ultimate fate, State v. Jackson, 186 Ariz. 20, 918 P.2d 1038 (1996), and watching or hearing a loved one die while knowing the victim will be killed next. State v. Dickens, 187 Ariz. 1, 926 P.2d 468 (1996); State v. Ramirez, 178 Ariz. 116, 871 P.2d 237 (1994). A victim’s pleas for help and defensive wounds can support finding this factor. State v. Sansing, 206 Ariz. 232, 235, 77 P.3d 30, 34 (2003); and see State v. Lambright, 138 Ariz. 63, 75, 673 P.2d 1, 13 (1983) (mental anguish shown by evidence that victim trembled and begged for life after being abducted and sexually assaulted), overruled on other grounds by Hedlund v. Sheldon, 173 Ariz. 143, 840 P.2d 1008 (1992). More recently the court has noted that “few especially cruel findings . . . are predicated solely on an inference that the victim contemplated his or her fate,” especially when no witness can “quantify the length of time between the point at which [the victim] first experienced mental anguish and the moment that [the defendant] shot [her].” State v. Prince, 206 Ariz. 24, 27, 75 P.3d 114, 117 (2003).
As to physical pain, the victim does not need to be conscious for “each and every wound” inflicted for cruelty to apply. Sansing, 206 Ariz. at 235, 77 P.3d at 33 (quoting State v. Lopez (I), 163 Ariz. 18, 115, 786 P.2d 959, 966 (1990)). Physical pain may be found where a conscious victim physically suffered for at least a short period of time. State v. Schackart, 190 Ariz. 238, 947 P.2d 315 (1997) (holding victim hostage for four to five hours in the presence of a weapon, sexually assaulting her, striking her in the head, and strangling her); State v. William Herrera, Jr., 176 Ariz. 21, 859 P.2d 131 (1993) (finding victim was lying on the ground with a gash in his head for at least 18 seconds and possibly as much as two to three minutes).
Rape: Evidence of a rape while the victim was conscious “independently establishes both mental and physical suffering.” Sansing, 206 Ariz. at 236, 77 P.3d at 34.
Setting Someone on Fire (while alive): Satisfies cruelty element, as the victim suffers both mental and physical suffering. State v. Schurz, 176 Ariz. 46, 859 P.2d 156, cert. denied, 510 U.S. 1026 (1993) (victim was conscious during burning and survived for a few hours before dying). Note that other cases support applying depravity to burning death.
No Vicarious Liability: A defendant cannot be “vicariously liable” for cruelty in a capital case, absent a “plan intended or reasonably certain to cause suffering.” State v. Carlson, 202 Ariz. 570, 583, 48 P.3d 1180, 1193 (2002). The plan must be “such that suffering before death must be inherently and reasonably certain to occur, not just an untoward event.” Id. However, where the defendant actually participated in the killing, the fact that he did not actually perform the murder does not preclude application of the “cruelty” subpart of (F)(6). See State v. Frank Anderson, 210 Ariz. at __, ¶109-14, 111 P.3d at 395 (where defendant held down first victim while co- conspirator administered fatal wound and both hit third victim and gave co-conspirator weapon with which to kill third victim, cruelty aspect of (F)(6) could lawfully be applied to defendant).

KatieC, can you direct me to the thread that has the total amount raised for the Alexander family during your drive yesterday? It was so painful to watch Samantha and Tanisha crying today while sitting behind the defendant.

I'm not sure I agree with her being smart. If she were smart she wouldn't have shown her narcissism while on the stand. She shot herself in the head with how she acted with JM. I've known one person quite well who was a narcissist. She had a whole different view in her head of herself, how she was perceived and was unaware that people were laughing at her, thought she was nuts and didn't like her. In her mind she was popular and loved. She obviously thought while she was on the stand that she outwitted JM. She sees the world through glasses I can't imagine seeing through. I don't try to figure out or second guess what she is thinking because I can't go there. I really believe that her behavior the last week or so is genuinely strange and telling of something I just don't know what. i think she thinks she is smart..

ITA. I posted earlier that I think, at best, the killer is a really good mimic. She reads and hears things her attorneys and experts say and repeats it. I think the same can be said of her blogs, journals, etc. She read books and listened to speakers and mimicked them.

It would explain why, on the stand and elsewhere, she repeatedly misused words she didn't really understand the meaning of.

She's the epitome of the single, white female. Right now she's mimicking Wilmott. And I don't think Wilmott realizes just how dangerous this game is that she's playing with her defendant. She needs to set some boundaries and start acting like a professional.

JMHOO. :D

KatieC, can you direct me to the thread that has the total amount raised for the Alexander family during your drive yesterday? It was so painful to watch Samantha and Tanisha crying today while sitting behind the defendant.

I don't know the exact total and I didn't ask. They are completely in charge of the paypal fund BUT I do know our goal was met early on in the day so it know it was exceeded far beyond what I'd anticipated. And I gave Steven the elephant tie after court and hung out with him a little bit and chatted (he let me share that great photo of his tattoo).

I also know way more donations are rolling in this week in the mail and others that missed out yesterday.

SO our PROJECT500 STRONG was a complete success...and MORE! Yay! :great:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member