a view from the inside: observations from our own court observers #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello webslueths, first time poster! Will Travis' s family be given an opportunity to address remarks to Jodi after the verdict is rendered?

Yes, they will. Beth said today that will come at the end at the day of sentencing. I will check that to make sure that's the timing as I thought the Victim Advocate said they would be making those statements to the JURY, not the JUDGE. I will get this confirmed tomorrow, I promise. But yes, they will make statements. I know they've been working on them.

:newhere: This is my first post and I want to start off by thanking you, dear KatieC, for putting your heart and soul into reporting this trial and supporting the family. You are a special lady!

This is the first trial I've followed this closely. I live just over the Oregon border from Yreka, but I first heard about it on Websleuths, and I've been watching since day one. I even got my husband hooked. :) Reading the impressions you, PASA and others post has added so much to this experience and given me a real understanding of what families endure. Your own story breaks my heart, but what you are doing lifts me up.

Right now, we are en route from Oregon to visit friends in Phoenix. We won't be able to attend the trial, but we will be reading every word you write. :tyou:

KatieC, there has been some discussion about ALV regarding further testimony and the "issue" she was required to attend. Don't know if you have the answer but here goes: was the meeting in chambers (sealed) held today at 1:15 with ALV to address above said issue, and did ALV complete her testimony for the defense? TIA

It is my understanding that the ALV issue was completed today. Can't say what info I'm synthesizing that from but that is my impression. She's done.

Good evening KCL. Thanks for everything you do!

Did you notice any kind of reaction from the jury regarding the stipulation applied to the picture? Did they take notes or did you notice any facial reactions?

:newhere: This is my first post and I want to start off by thanking you, dear KatieC, for putting your heart and soul into reporting this trial and supporting the family. You are a special lady!

This is the first trial I've followed this closely. I live just over the Oregon border from Yreka, but I first heard about it on Websleuths, and I've been watching since day one. I even got my husband hooked. :) Reading the impressions you, PASA and others post has added so much to this experience and given me a real understanding of what families endure. Your own story breaks my heart, but what you are doing lifts me up.

Right now, we are en route from Oregon to visit friends in Phoenix. We won't be able to attend the trial, but we will be reading every word you write. :tyou:

Thanks Lilibet...and welcome!

Good evening KCL. Thanks for everything you do!

Did you notice any kind of reaction from the jury regarding the stipulation applied to the picture? Did they take notes or did you notice any facial reactions?

I think they were kind of stunned like the rest of us! I think Judge S. said it perfectly..it would be good or bad news. For some of them I'm sure they liked the day off, for others, annoyed.

No notes, I think they were in their seats maybe a minute or two. It was a total boomerang moment.

I did get to meet Det. Flores sister who sat with me though. She was funny.

That picture of Travis was all OVER the courtroom on no less than 7 screens, some huge. Super intense and sad.

I'm so very tired of hearing only JA's fake story. Someone did an awesome job on this timeline video. I highly recommend you check it out. I hope our Juan shows something like this to the Jury.

http://youtu.be/Z8MxOfIWlFc

Hi Guys, I'm home.

Well as you know, there wasn't a whole lot going on this afternoon. A whole lotta sitting in the hallway and waiting for a whole lotta nuthin special.

But I made the most of my time in the hallway with a pretty substantial little chat with Beth Karas about how things are gonna go down from here on out, the penalty phase, timing etc.

So, I'll share that.

Ok so it looks like tomorrow will start rebuttal with Juan (yay).

It's expected he will go all of this week and next week.

Then immediately, without delay will be closing arguments. First Juan, then Defense then Juan gets up for one final closing remarks.

Then it goes to the jury for the GUILT decision. Depending on what charges land, they will decide GUILT for first degree or any lesser charges. No one will be surprised to guess what I think will happen in this phase: GUILT ON FIRST DEGREE MURDER

Ok so now if that conviction comes in (which I believe it will), we go to the Aggravation Hearing.

The Agg. Hearing will decide one thing and is guided by Martinez. It's decided whether the crime meets the criteria for "cruel" as defined in the statute which qualifies it for the Death Penalty (again I think by now everyone knows where i stand here--I believe it does and believe it will qualify). I put the legal definition for "especially cruel" on the next page here.

THen the jury deliberates again on this and comes back with a decision: cruelty met or not.

If the criteria for cruelty has been met, then we go to the Mitigation phase. If it's not been met then there will be no mitigation and it's decided LIFE will be the sentence and it's handed to the Judge who then decides whether it's Life WITH or WITHOUT Parole.

I don't think this will occur though.

The Mitigation phase will last longer probably than the Aggravation Phase because witnesses will be called and the entire point of this phase is to try and save Jodi Arias' life (which I do not believe will be successful). I'm sure family will testify and others (ALV was purportedly slated for this which I seriously doubt will happen now). Jodi herself may make a statement , not for cross examination but just a statement which I suspect she will during this phase.

THen it goes back to the jury again to decide whether or not the aggravating circumstances outweigh the mitigating circumstances and will come back with a recommendation of LIFE or DEATH (which I believe the latter is secure imo).

Once that decision is reached and declared, the jury is discharged and it now goes to the Judge to impose sentence in 30-60 days and there will be another hearing where sentence will be imposed. The jury's finding of DEATH , if they do, will be binding, meaning the Judge can't go down. If it is LIFE, she decides LWOP or LWP. It's then when Victim Impact Statements will be read. And Jodi will find herself transferred to her new abode which imo will be on AZ Death Row.

HLN will cover the entire trial until the jury is discharged. It's unlikely they will be there for the final handing down of the sentence but surely local media will film it and cover it on a live feed.

Beth predicts a verdict on or by May 3.

Then we go in to the Aggravation phase which, she thinks will be immediate and no breaks to prepare.

I hope this helps! I found it extraordinarily instructive and many thanks to our wonderful Beth Karas who is so open and willing to share her vast knowledge!

:seeya:

:tyou::gthanks:

This is very helpful !

Thanks again !

:seeya:

Yes, they will. Beth said today that will come at the end at the day of sentencing. I will check that to make sure that's the timing as I thought the Victim Advocate said they would be making those statements to the JURY, not the JUDGE. I will get this confirmed tomorrow, I promise. But yes, they will make statements. I know they've been working on them.
I can't begin to imagine how hard and heartbreaking that must be. I think of my own sister and how impossible it would be to put into words all that I'd want to convey. One more reason to keep Travis' family close in our prayers.

I can say the healing that is occuring for me and others who are offering support and assistance to this family is a total win/win situation.

I can't compare this case to casey anthony..What she got away with was herrondus.........What Jodie did to such a wonderful human being is beyond belief. Travis had a bad life and was striving to better it. He touched many hearts and souls. Reading his blog brought me to tears. I hope they publish his book.....A point to make is that Jodie wanted to bring Travis down to her level when she could have used his inspiration to conquer her problems and become a better person but she butchered him for her own self satifaction. She has no remorse for killing Travis or hurting many many people who knew him and have come to know him by her vicious act. She deserves DP for her actions:rocker:

I can't compare this case to casey anthony..What she got away with was herrondus.........What Jodie did to such a wonderful human being is beyond belief. Travis had a bad life and was striving to better it. He touched many hearts and souls. Reading his blog brought me to tears. I hope they publish his book.....A point to make is that Jodie wanted to bring Travis down to her level when she could have used his inspiration to conquer her problems and become a better person but she butchered him for her own self satifaction. She has no remorse for killing Travis or hurting many many people who knew him and have come to know him by her vicious act. She deserves DP for her actions:rocker:

I might add that our notes from KCL should be really good starting tomorrow withy Jaun doing the rebuttal....Goooooooo Jaun:great:

KCL.....Travis' family must feel more comforted with you "taking care of them" in a sense while all this is happening to them. Aware of all you are doing for them every day and for future hurdles, they must consider you their Angel on Earth. I know your sister is smiling down on you and giving you the strength that you have for this precious family. I love this so keep doin' what your doin'!!

ITA. I posted earlier that I think, at best, the killer is a really good mimic. She reads and hears things her attorneys and experts say and repeats it. I think the same can be said of her blogs, journals, etc. She read books and listened to speakers and mimicked them.

It would explain why, on the stand and elsewhere, she repeatedly misused words she didn't really understand the meaning of.

She's the epitome of the single, white female. Right now she's mimicking Wilmott. And I don't think Wilmott realizes just how dangerous this game is that she's playing with her defendant. She needs to set some boundaries and start acting like a professional.

JMHOO. :D

She was mimicing the judge today with her glasses low on her nose. Did you notice that?

I agree w/ your entire first paragraph! I was surprised the VIS aren't in the aggravation phase actually. I will double check this w/ the Victim Advocate tomorrow to just be 1000% sure.

The victim impact statements can't be made during the aggravation phase, because the aggravating circumstances are enumerated by statute, and impact on victims is not one of them.

Victim impact statements are considered rebuttal to the mitigation evidence presented by the defense.

The victim impact statements can't be made during the aggravation phase, because the aggravating circumstances are enumerated by statute, and impact on victims is not one of them.

Victim impact statements are considered rebuttal to the mitigation evidence presented by the defense.

Thank you! So would they go to the Judge or the Jury?

Katie...thanks for everything, you are one special lady. Looked, probably missed it, but is there an address one can send money to the fund. I do not do PayPal...long story, but I sure would like to send what I can to help the family.

Thanks and love, thoughts and prayers to Travis's family.

Katie...thanks for everything, you are one special lady. Looked, probably missed it, but is there an address one can send money to the fund. I do not do PayPal...long story, but I sure would like to send what I can to help the family.

Thanks and love, thoughts and prayers to Travis's family.

Here ya go...thank you!

Samantha Alexander
PO Box 130023
Carlsbad, CA 92013

Thank you! So would they go to the Judge or the Jury?

If aggravation (cruelty) is found, then the victim impact statements would be presented to the jury at the end of the mitigation phase (as rebuttal).

It is my understanding that the ALV issue was completed today. Can't say what info I'm synthesizing that from but that is my impression. She's done.

Thank goodness AVL testimony is done. Whatever the outstanding "issue" was, hoping the outcome of these sealed hearings results in consequences equal to the abuse and pain the Alexander family has had to endure during her unfounded character assassination of Travis.

If aggravation (cruelty) is found, then the victim impact statements would be presented to the jury at the end of the mitigation phase (as rebuttal).

Thank you ! Beth thought they would be at the sentencing hearing but I knew there were guidelines on them which seemed to relate to the jury..so this makes sense now. Thank you!!! :seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBMonsterFighter