Aaron Davis, murder case (suspect arrested is his best friend)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Reaction score
Opening a thread about this current tragic case as events unfold and information continues to be released about the homicide.

Overview of case -

Aaron Davis, 21, of Cumming GA was found deceased Saturday, November 12, 2022. He had been stabbed at least 20 times and left in a wooded area. His body found buried under a few inches of dirt within a massive 6 to 8 foot hole in the ground left by an uprooted oak tree.

Aaron Davis had left his family home in Cumming, GA Thursday Nov 10th, to visit his best friend, Brandon Risner, 21, in Rome GA. When the Davis family hadn’t heard from their son and then received a call from local police in Rome, GA that the car their son had been driving was found abandoned in a ditch, they knew something was not right.
Later that day, after police had found ‘incriminating’ evidence (not released yet), in the last place that Aaron Davis was known to be (not released yet). Police did a search of the local wooded area and discovered the remains of Aaron Davis close by.

Brandon Risner (suspect) is now in custody, he did attempt to flee police officers during initial questioning. Arrest records show he later turned himself in. Brandon has been charged with murder as well as felony obstruction of law enforcement officers, aggravated assault, and concealing the death of another, according to Floyd County Jail reports.

The father of Aaron Davis did a news interview (link provided), sharing that the family is heartbroken and shocked by what has happened. He speaks of his son, “he was a friend to everyone… there was so much future there, so much potential … he is going to be missed”. He goes on to talk about Brandon, his sons best friend and accused killer, “he has been as much of a son to us, it’s really like losing two kids at this point….the hardest thing is, we just don’t know what happened, what lead to this, I never knew them to have a fight or disagreement about anything”.

The family have been processing the immense tragedy by leaning on their faith and the LDS community for support.

Additional background information found in news sources linked -

Davis was a new BYU-Idaho graduate (an LDS college) and former missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He was still very involved in the Church and was recently accepted to the BYU grad program. The family states that Aaron Davis was planning on becoming a teacher, after completing his graduate studies.

Aaron Davis (victim) and Brandon Risner (suspect) had been members of the same Latter-day Saint congregation as teenagers before the Risner family moved to Rome. Brandon Risner also attended BYU-Idaho for a semester in Fall 2021.

**VERY IMPORTANT: Please be informed that the following paragraphs contain my own interpretation and opinion of the content created by the victim and suspect in this case. These are NOT to be considered facts, but observations that I personally am making.**

Aaron Davis and Brandon Risner were a part of a YouTube video project on a channel called “The Bigger Fish”, where they would make short films along with other types of videos. Aaron and Brandon considered themselves film buffs and expressed themselves through collaborations in screenwriting, acting, and directing projects.

The short film series where you can see Aaron Davis (victim) as director/co-star and Brandon Risner (suspect) as leading man, is called “Brandon Rising”. The initial Brandon Rising film was posted 3 years ago, then “Brandon Rising 2 - The Eternal Round” was posted shortly thereafter. The “Brandon Rising 3” trailer was posted only 3 months ago and is ominously titled “Brandon Rising 3 - Endgame”. While the other videos seem to include a wide cast of characters, the trailer for ‘Endgame’ almost exclusively is video footage of Aaron and Brandon. The last line of the trailer Aaron’s character looks over to Brandon and says “I am so glad we decided to be friends Brandon Rising” and Brandon’s character responds to Aaron, “Love is alive, in us”.
Stay with me here while I try to explain the plots as I think they may be significant to explaining the friendship dynamic these two shared.
The overall storyline of the series follows a famous boxer named Brandon Rising, played by Brandon Risner (suspect) while he battles fellow boxer and biggest foe Beezelbubba played by Aaron Davis (victim). (from Wikipedia: Beelzebub is also identified in the New Testament as the Devil, "the prince of demons".)

The first film, Brandon Rising’s Grandfather is killed by Beezelbubba, and Brandon seeks revenge by killing Beezelbubba in the end. The second film, we see Brandon Rising continuing to mourn the lose of his Grandfather, he kill’s himself to be reunited in the afterlife but instead is transported to a ‘land between life and death’ where he learns dark truths about his Grandfather ‘Zombie’ who was actually an evil villain all along and is in charge of manipulating people through his media empire. Beezelbubba was the good one all along caught up in the scheming and framing by Grandfather Zombie. Beezelbubba tells Brandon Rising that in order to get back to ‘the land of the living’ he has to kill himself again, which he does by violently thrashing himself around and at one point even picking up a knife and pretending to stab himself in the stomach. The third film, has not been released, but looking at the recently posted trailer, it seems in this film Brandon Rising and Bezeelbot (Bezeelbubba has now turned into a robot) characters finally make amends, leaving the past behind them.
The series has a Rocky inspired feel to it, if Rocky was filmed by a group of indie teens, who wanted to also combine their love for science fiction and existentialism, and sprinkle in subtle LDS Mormon references (as well as filming majority of the second film in the inside an LDS church).
The films are scripted with lots of irony, satire, and humorously ridiculous plot lines. Almost every scene of the first two short films contains dark subject matter such as death, suicide, self harm, and violence (with copious amounts of fighting scenes between Aaron and Brandon). At the same time the films have over the top comic relief including overtly dramatized acting, goofy characters, and impossible sci-fi twists.

On the surface these films just seems like teens/young adults exploring an artistic outlet and having a lot of fun while doing so. With what’s happened between these two now, it’s hard not to interpret these films through a more sinister lens as a possible symbolic representation of their real life friendship. It’s unimaginable to think that something like this could happen between two seemingly incredibly close friends… the best of friends.

I hope that the Davis family gets the answers they deserve and need. From what I’ve learned about Aaron Davis since researching this case, he was a creative soul with a caring heart.

Articles -

Police arrest friend after recent BYU-Idaho graduate stabbed to death in Georgia

Family says recent college grad from Cumming stabbed to death by friend

North Forsyth graduate found dead in Rome, suspect charged with murder

Recent BYU-Idaho grad killed in stabbing in Georgia

Police: Rome man stabbed 21-year-old BYU student multiple times, charged with murder

Attachments

• 042AC210-CEA4-4299-9FE6-2CBA04D3BA90.png
    042AC210-CEA4-4299-9FE6-2CBA04D3BA90.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 5E8D1DDD-D37C-4399-8625-A97378FB830E.png
    5E8D1DDD-D37C-4399-8625-A97378FB830E.png
    213.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 446B1AF4-F3F8-412F-BEE7-A709965E3CE1.jpeg
    446B1AF4-F3F8-412F-BEE7-A709965E3CE1.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 16
Opening a thread about this current tragic case as events unfold and information continues to be released about the homicide.

Overview of case -

Aaron Davis, 21, of Cumming GA was found deceased Saturday, November 12, 2022. He had been stabbed at least 20 times and left in a wooded area. His body found buried under a few inches of dirt within a massive 6 to 8 foot hole in the ground left by an uprooted oak tree.

Aaron Davis had left his family home in Cumming, GA Thursday Nov 10th, to visit his best friend, Brandon Risner, 21, in Rome GA. When the Davis family hadn’t heard from their son and then received a call from local police in Rome, GA that the car their son had been driving was found abandoned in a ditch, they knew something was not right.
Later that day, after police had found ‘incriminating’ evidence (not released yet), in the last place that Aaron Davis was known to be (not released yet). Police did a search of the local wooded area and discovered the remains of Aaron Davis close by.

Brandon Risner (suspect) is now in custody, he did attempt to flee police officers during initial questioning. Arrest records show he later turned himself in. Brandon has been charged with murder as well as felony obstruction of law enforcement officers, aggravated assault, and concealing the death of another, according to Floyd County Jail reports.

The father of Aaron Davis did a news interview (link provided), sharing that the family is heartbroken and shocked by what has happened. He speaks of his son, “he was a friend to everyone… there was so much future there, so much potential … he is going to be missed”. He goes on to talk about Brandon, his sons best friend and accused killer, “he has been as much of a son to us, it’s really like losing two kids at this point….the hardest thing is, we just don’t know what happened, what lead to this, I never knew them to have a fight or disagreement about anything”.

The family have been processing the immense tragedy by leaning on their faith and the LDS community for support.

Davis was a new BYU-Idaho graduate (an LDS college) and former missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He was still very involved in the Church and was recently accepted to the BYU grad program. The family states that Aaron Davis was planning on becoming a teacher, after completing his graduate studies.

Aaron Davis (victim) and Brandon Risner (suspect) had been members of the same Latter-day Saint congregation as teenagers before the Risner family moved to Rome. Brandon Risner also attended BYU-Idaho for a semester in Fall 2021.

**VERY IMPORTANT: Please be informed that the following paragraphs contain my own interpretation and opinion of the content created by the victim and suspect in this case. These are NOT to be considered facts, but observations that I personally am making.**

Aaron Davis and Brandon Risner were a part of a YouTube video project on a channel called “The Bigger Fish”, where they would make short films along with other types of videos. Aaron and Brandon considered themselves film buffs and expressed themselves through collaborations in screenwriting, acting, and directing projects.

The short film series where you can see Aaron Davis (victim) as director/co-star and Brandon Risner (suspect) as leading man, is called “Brandon Rising”. The initial Brandon Rising film was posted 3 years ago, then “Brandon Rising 2 - The Eternal Round” was posted shortly thereafter. The “Brandon Rising 3” trailer was posted only 3 months ago and is ominously titled “Brandon Rising 3 - Endgame”. While the other videos seem to include a wide cast of characters, the trailer for ‘Endgame’ almost exclusively is video footage of Aaron and Brandon. The last line of the trailer Aaron’s character looks over to Brandon and says “I am so glad we decided to be friends Brandon Rising” and Brandon’s character responds to Aaron, “Love is alive, in us”.
Stay with me here while I try to explain the plots as I think they may be significant to explaining the friendship dynamic these two shared.
The overall storyline of the series follows a famous boxer named Brandon Rising, played by Brandon Risner (suspect) while he battles fellow boxer and biggest foe Beezelbubba played by Aaron Davis (victim). (from Wikipedia: Beelzebub is also identified in the New Testament as the Devil, "the prince of demons".)

The first film, Brandon Rising’s Grandfather is killed by Beezelbubba, and Brandon seeks revenge by killing Beezelbubba in the end. The second film, we see Brandon Rising continuing to mourn the lose of his Grandfather, he kill’s himself to be reunited in the afterlife but instead is transported to a ‘land between life and death’ where he learns dark truths about his Grandfather ‘Zombie’ who was actually an evil villain all along and is in charge of manipulating people through his media empire. Beezelbubba was the good one all along caught up in the scheming and framing by Grandfather Zombie. Beezelbubba tells Brandon Rising that in order to get back to ‘the land of the living’ he has to kill himself again, which he does by violently thrashing himself around and at one point even picking up a knife and pretending to stab himself in the stomach. The third film, has not been released, but looking at the recently posted trailer, it seems in this film Brandon Rising and Bezeelbot (Bezeelbubba has now turned into a robot) characters finally make amends, leaving the past behind them.
The series has a Rocky inspired feel to it, if Rocky was filmed by a group of indie teens, who wanted to also combine their love for science fiction and existentialism, and sprinkle in subtle LDS Mormon references (as well as filming majority of the second film in the inside an LDS church).
The films are scripted with lots of irony, satire, and humorously ridiculous plot lines. Almost every scene of the first two short films contains dark subject matter such as death, suicide, self harm, and violence (with copious amounts of fighting scenes between Aaron and Brandon). At the same time the films have over the top comic relief including overtly dramatized acting, goofy characters, and impossible sci-fi twists.

On the surface these films just seems like teens/young adults exploring an artistic outlet and having a lot of fun while doing so. With what’s happened between these two now, it’s hard not to interpret these films through a more sinister lens as a possible symbolic representation of their real life friendship. It’s unimaginable to think that something like this could happen between two seemingly incredibly close friends… the best of friends.

I hope that the Davis family gets the answers they deserve and need. From what I’ve learned about Aaron Davis since researching this case, he was a creative soul with a caring heart.

Articles -

Police arrest friend after recent BYU-Idaho graduate stabbed to death in Georgia

Police: Rome man stabbed 21-year-old BYU student multiple times, charged with murder

Overview of case -

Articles -

Very Informative post! This is such a perplexing case. I'm surprised more people have not responded. I have initial theorys on what "may" have happened, but there is probably only one person who knows why this happened. Just so heartbreaking for all involved. I'm sure, as most things go, it will all come out eventually.

This is absolutely awful! I think with the quadruple murder in Idaho as well as the UVA tragedy happening that same weekend, Aaron's murder probably got lost in the shuffle. I haven't been on WS in a while so when I caught up on everything & read this post it was the first I had heard of it. I cannot even begin to imagine what Aaron's family and friends are going through right now. I hope that his parents are able to get the answers they need to provide some type of closure.

I have read about this already, thought it was here but maybe not.

With so little information released it is hard to know which direction to go IMO. For us sleuths, I mean. Off there's been zero reported in any MSM recently. Did stumble upon mom's effusive eulogy through tribute archive. I won't link it and risk a TO but worth a read.

Following. and bumping.

Very Informative post! This is such a perplexing case. I'm surprised more people have not responded. I have initial theorys on what "may" have happened, but there is probably only one person who knows why this happened. Just so heartbreaking for all involved. I'm sure, as most things go, it will all come out eventually.
Sorry for late reply, I am curious to hear your view. This case has been living in my mind rent free. I am so perplexed by what the motive may be. I have found some more information on the arrest record about the day Aaron was found and Brandon was taken into custody (linked). There may be alcohol involved as they were both apparently bar hoping and then picked up a bottle of wine, this all according to Brandon. One of the more interesting parts of the case is Brandon had a cut on his pinky finger and told the police he had dropped the bottle of wine causing him to get injured and then left the house to go to ‘urgent care’, but did not tell the police which urgent care he went to. When he got back that’s when he said Aaron left at some point during the night. Brandon fled on foot when the police opened the dryer in his apartment and they were not able to catch him, he did turn himself in later at the police station. The dryer contained bloody items.

Found some additional videos on YouTube created by Brandon Risner (suspect). Brandon has many videos on his brothers channel as well, where he showcases his music through original songs and also informal jam sessions.

Some of the songs you can clearly see are satirical but still cover morbid themes, for example there is a jam session video where he showcases a song called ‘Cannibal’ , where he sings about what life is like for him as a flesh eater.

He does have more serious songs, with themes of sadness, for example here are the lyrics for one of his original songs posted,

Another Body -

I have been alive for all my life
it’s pretty obvious
since I’m alive

Although I tend to state the obvious
it’s still a surprise
I have been a live for most of my life

but I want to die
but I’m too scared to die
yet afraid of life

Guess I seem pretty dead
if you have to ask, go ahead

Are you a living soul
or are you just another body
Your touch has been growing cold
How long will you keep on dying

I seem to give off a vibe
that I’m alive
but I’m not
(Couldn’t make out the words for this lyric)

I’m a robot
emotionless yet I want to cry
I want to smile but it feels so unnatural

I suppose we could go for a trip
it will be overcast
So bring a towel

Are you a living soul
or are you just another body
Your touch has been growing cold
How long will you keep on dying

Give me a little time
To cut out the background noise
The background voices
In my head

Sorry for late reply, I am curious to hear your view. This case has been living in my mind rent free. I am so perplexed by what the motive may be. I have found some more information on the arrest record about the day Aaron was found and Brandon was taken into custody (linked). There may be alcohol involved as they were both apparently bar hoping and then picked up a bottle of wine, this all according to Brandon. One of the more interesting parts of the case is Brandon had a cut on his pinky finger and told the police he had dropped the bottle of wine causing him to get injured and then left the house to go to ‘urgent care’, but did not tell the police which urgent care he went to. When he got back that’s when he said Aaron left at some point during the night. Brandon fled on foot when the police opened the dryer in his apartment and they were not able to catch him, he did turn himself in later at the police station. The dryer contained bloody items.

Very Interesting information. I could throw out my theories but I don't think we are allowed to do that, plus I feel it would be disrespectful to the family. My curiosity of the motive still is peaked.

Well, I just have no words for what I just read. So awful, I just don't understand. This has been so hush hush, I guess I now know why. It sounds like something a maniac would do, not a lifetime friend. Very disturbing.

Yep, the end of that article makes some things more clear. Incredibly brutal.
Seriously, stabbed over 20 times, disfigured and disemboweled….it sounds like he had a serious break with reality. I’m shocked this has been so quiet, it’s the first I’m hearing of it. The Idaho 4 murders have likely kept this on the back burner but I think it should be getting more coverage. What happened here?? Did anyone notice Brandon’s mental health declining at all? This sounds like the work of someone seriously sociopathic.

This article was from 2 weeks ago on Rome Georgia News via News break. I copied and pasted as not everyone will be able to see without joining:

A trial date has been set after a state psychiatrist determined that a man accused of killing and mutilating a Cumming man is mentally competent to stand trial.

Brandon Christopher Risner, 23, is accused of stabbing, disfiguring and disemboweling his former friend 21-year-old Aaron William Davis in November 2022. His trial is set to begin on June 24, according to a scheduling order filed by Floyd County Superior Court Chief Judge John “Jack” Niedrach.

Davis was a recent Brigham Young University-Idaho graduate, and the two men had a long history together. They went to high school together and attended The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Cumming.

On Nov. 11, 2022, Davis came to Rome to see Risner on his way to visit other friends in Alabama. When he didn’t arrive at his destination, the Davis family reached out to police. Rome police discovered his abandoned vehicle in a ditch behind the levee at Heritage Park and the subsequent investigation led police to Risner’s home at 1002 Collinwood Road.

Police began searching the area near Risner’s Collinwood address and found Davis’ body in the woods off Tumlin Drive. It was in a 6- to 8-foot hole left by a large uprooted oak tree and concealed under 6 to 12 inches of dirt, police reports stated. When contacted, Risner initially fled but later turned himself in to police.

Risner is charged with felony murder, aggravated assault, aggravated battery, concealing the death of another, abandonment of a dead body and theft by taking, as well as misdemeanor removal of body parts from the scene of a death, tampering with evidence and obstruction of an officer.

CourtTV Brandon Risner Trail

CourtTV streamed the sentencing of Brandon Risner (available on YouTube). The sentencing provides a harrowing account of Risners actions leading up to him murdering his friend Aaron Davis. Risner had been having homicidal thoughts for a long time leading up to the day he murdered his friend, even plotting to murder someone homeless or a random stranger. Ultimately Brandon decided he had an opportunity to kill his friend Aaron when Aaron would be stopping into town on his trip to visit his long distance girlfriend. Risner then tried to cover the murder afterwards proving premeditation and mental awareness of his acts. Risner also claimed that he had prophecies that he needed to either kill his friend or sleep with his stepmother, deciding that killing his friend would be a better option. Risner also believed that after killing Davis, he would have an opportunity to be with Aaron Davis’ younger sister, whose he had a crush on. Risners parents spoke at the sentencing begging for an option to parole and a heavy focus on rehabilitation. The Davis family also spoke at sentencing pleading for life without parole for Risner. The judged sentenced life without parole for Brandon Risner.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back