Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #194

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To understand how momentous the RA trial is for Indiana, you can see here how much the average Death Penalty trial costs the state. Apr half a million, including appeals. In comparison, the average Life without Parole case (like RA's) costs a tenth of that in average, apr 50K https://secure.in.gov/ipdc/files/IN-DP-COSTS.pdf

That's truly mind boggling. Think about it, someone's life behind bars, and it is all ... 50K. With the appeal.

I’m confused. Is she an expert on tool marking or forensics? I thought she was the odinsim person? Why would she be qualified to give an answer on a murder weapon and moreover, how would she be? Mooo
No, but she was allegedly an expert on Odinist Ritual Sacrifice so she would allegedly know about the weapons used.

Delphi is a tiny town in a small county.
I doubt that such a place would have millions of dollars to spend.

I would hope that the prosecutor would be given an equal amount.

The scales are tipped in favor of the defense as far as the budget is concerned as of this accounting.

My original post was relating to the fact that the defense has cried foul about the money they need.

In fact, they went as far as having a fundraiser put in place to help the defendants case.

Has any of that money been accounted for? I have not read such as of now.
"...the ICCAA will be reimbursing Carroll County for about 40% of eligible defense costs for Allen’s trial, including fees for the defendant’s attorneys, investigators, experts, transcripts and depositions."

"ISP Superintendent Doug Carter said his agency has spent much more on its Delphi murders investigation than reflected in the line items provided to 13News, but that most of those costs were built into the agency’s existing budgets.
“If you consider all the expenses and investigation costs for Indiana State Police, we’re talking well over a million dollars,” Carter said."

It may not be, but I don't doubt that there is a lot of truth in those documents. I wonder if we will ever learn the whole truth? Doubtful.

I think it’s too soon to decide that, better to be optimistic IMO. Back and forth motions are not at all the same as evidence that will be introduced during a trial. For example several motions regarding RA’s confessions but not one quoted any specific content. JMO

When is Judge Gull going to rule on the SODDI defense? 30 days is Sunday by my calculations, so IMO. Is she going to stretch it to 32 days (Tuesday, after Labor Day) and risk and appeal or a "lazy judge" filing? JMO MOO And, if we're allowed to accuse the defense team of "playing games" can we say the same about the judge? JMO MOO What exactly is the hold up here?

IMO MOO

Looks like she was busy today with Allen County's fine upstanding citizens.I quit reading after 3 articles!

https://www.wane.com/news/local-new...:text=Man who held-,up,-childhood friend goes

https://www.wane.com/top-stories/ma...:~:text=New Year’s Day-,dispute,-gets 2 years

https://www.wane.com/news/crime/sen...tencing in-,shaken-child,-death delayed again

This might shock some but the Piketon murders in one of the poorest counties in Ohio (Pike county) still has one of the four defendants yet to go to trial.

The latest accounting of costs has been over 3 million dollars and climbing. Murder trials don't come cheap.

From the Order: “the court is not persuaded”…

Really shows just how subjective the ruling is here imo.
<modsnip> Don't both sides lay out their 'arguments' in order to 'persuade ' the court that their POV is correct? It is not black and white---there are always shades of grey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh, still subjective. Two judges looking at the same documents could easily form two different opinions / rulings. It’s luck of the judge draw for many lawyers imo.
Aren't you just describing 'life' in general? In a trial it's good luck or bad luck according to how well your attorney does, how fair your judge is, how good the opposing side is, how impartial the jurors are, how the press treats your case, and of course, whether you are factually guilty or innocent.

This might shock some but the Piketon murders in one of the poorest counties in Ohio (Pike county) still has one of the four defendants yet to go to trial.

The latest accounting of costs has been over 3 million dollars and climbing. Murder trials don't come cheap.

Oh that's a mass murder case. Those (and the serial cases) have vastly different durations/costs since, in my understanding, it is as if you have to present a new case for every victim when it comes to forensics and case law, attorney hours etc. Different locations etc etc. In the case of the golden state killer there were articles estimating the trial could last 10 years and cost 20M - but again, that's because it has the serial factor Trial of ‘Golden State Killer’ could last 10 years and cost $20M

Comparing a serial case to a single crime scene double homicide costs wise is apples and oranges, MOO.
That's why I compared the RA case with Indiana's average Death Penalty and LWOP cases. I believe it sets the appropriate expectations.

Oh that's a mass murder case. Those (and the serial cases) have vastly different durations/costs since, in my understanding, it is as if you have to present a new case for every victim when it comes to forensics and case law, attorney hours etc. Different locations etc etc. In the case of the golden state killer there were articles estimating the trial could last 10 years and cost 20M - but again, that's because it has the serial factor Trial of ‘Golden State Killer’ could last 10 years and cost $20M

Comparing a serial case to a single crime scene double homicide costs wise is apples and oranges, MOO.
That's why I compared the RA case with Indiana's average Death Penalty and LWOP cases. I believe it sets the appropriate expectations.
Nope. Two pled guilty to avoid the DP. So no, it's not comparing apples to oranges. Estimates when this case is finally over and done could be well over 10 million. MO.

Interesting. I don't believe her view on if a box cutter could have been the murder weapon is valid in this instance given she isn't a forensics expert.... MOOO.
You don't have to be a forensics expert because thy are not asking her to study the wounds and decide what kind of weapon caused them. They were asking her if it is common for box cutters to be used in a ritual sacrifice? Totally different question than a forensics expert would be asked. IMO

<modsnip> Don't both sides lay out their 'arguments' in order to 'persuade ' the court that their POV is correct? It is not black and white---there are always shades of grey.

Also, some hearings, like the one at the end of July, contain sworn testimony, just like a trial.
Truth is the same everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't you just describing 'life' in general? In a trial it's good luck or bad luck according to how well your attorney does, how fair your judge is, how good the opposing side is, how impartial the jurors are, how the press treats your case, and of course, whether you are factually guilty or innocent.
And the evidence. And its legitimacy.

IMO MOO

Interesting. I don't believe her view on if a box cutter could have been the murder weapon is valid in this instance given she isn't a forensics expert.... MOOO.

NM was being somewhere between sarcastic and facetious with his retort, as if to suggest she’d change her opinion on the spot from a ceremonial knife to a box cutter, if that were infact the weapon. It wasn’t really about her opinion, he was subtly ridiculing her ‘custom fit expertise’. MOO

BBM
“Other indicators included that the cause of death according to Perlmutter was that the girls’ throats were slit with a sharp object. Perlmutter also said that the murder weapon, a ceremonial knife was a part of the case, but the official weapon is not known in the case.”

NM was being somewhere between sarcastic and facetious with his retort, as if to suggest she’d change her opinion on the spot from a ceremonial knife to a box cutter, if that were infact the weapon. It wasn’t really about her opinion, he was subtly ridiculing her ‘custom fit expertise’. MOO

BBM
“Other indicators included that the cause of death according to Perlmutter was that the girls’ throats were slit with a sharp object. Perlmutter also said that the murder weapon, a ceremonial knife was a part of the case, but the official weapon is not known in the case.”
Sounds like he was attempting to “harass, embarrass, or annoy” the witness.

IMO MOO JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member