ABC News - Guilty of Checkbook Journalism?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DISNEY should be for kids not the momster that murdered her child!

I'm real disappointed in Disney. I'm a HUGE Disney person - annual passes, the whole nine yards. I was pizzed over the Ritz-Carlton thing and wondered where their ethics went. While I agree we wanted to see pix of Caylee, surely we could have seen less pictures for much less money. I feel like Disney/ABC got in bed with the A's. ABC funding any part of the defense, let alone the Ritz-Carlton and all the trappings makes me want to throw up my crab puffs.

I would say we could boycott ABC but honestly I don't know of anyone that watchs it.

I saw the title of this thread and thought "What else is new?"

True journalism is dead and has been for a long time.

thank you so much for this link - it was a long paper but well worth reading, considering the title of this thread! What was surprising to me is that this was written back in 1998! things have only gotten worse since then.

You're welcome! Even though Connie Chung wrote her paper more than 10 years ago, not much has changed.

One of my favorite media websites Poynter Online has a blog column Romenesko that I regularly browse. There's a lot of thoughtful article links about ABC and checkbook journalism including:

ABC's Payment to Casey Anthony Raises Questions about Ethics, Checkbook Journalism

I'm real disappointed in Disney. I'm a HUGE Disney person - annual passes, the whole nine yards. I was pizzed over the Ritz-Carlton thing and wondered where their ethics went. While I agree we wanted to see pix of Caylee, surely we could have seen less pictures for much less money. I feel like Disney/ABC got in bed with the A's. ABC funding any part of the defense, let alone the Ritz-Carlton and all the trappings makes me want to throw up my crab puffs.

Maybe Disney felt that they need to do some "counter-advertising" since Universal is literally in evidence for this case.

This Lifetime Movie or This ABC original brought to you by:
Universal
Disney
Gatorade
and hinkel duct tape

The fact that this money was paid out BEFORE KC was charged with murder speaks for itself. This could be considered as true blood money.

Rest in peace, Caylee. I hope in your heaven you don't remember any of these animals who were related to you on earth.

The fact that any family member of Caylee that would enter into a contract that LIMITS the viewing of Caylee's pictures is awful. I mean, think about it. By giving ABC exclusive rights, they are excluding other media outlets. How could someone even think about not letting every media outlet have access to as many different photos of your missing loved-one as possible. un-fricken-believable.

While I think the anger towards ABC is justified, I am not so sure that Disney was even aware of what ABC was doing. The Disney Conglomerate is huge, and while ABC is a division of or a subdivision of Disney, it is entirely possible that the left hand had no idea what the right hand was doing, so to speak.

I am trying to think of an analogy here, but my brain just isn't cooperating this evening. It all depends on how much Disney, the parent company knows what ABC is doing. I know I don't know ALL that my son was doing during his teen years, even though he lived in our house. Does that get across what I am trying to say. Oh, just in case my son ever decides to read here and figures out that Macushla is his Mom "I am SURE you NEVER did anything that you shouldn't have" :innocent:

So, I am not going to trash Disney, YET. I am going to wait and see if it can be shown that Disney was aware of what ABC was doing. If they were, then I will be upset - this all went down in Orlando - the Mouse House!

ABC News Under Fire For Payment To Murder Suspect
by David Folkenflik

March 19, 2010 ABC News is facing sharp criticism over the disclosure that it paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to a Florida woman who now stands accused of killing her own daughter.

The $200,000 payment in August 2008 to Casey Anthony was used for exclusive rights to reproduce family photographs and videotape of her then-missing 2-year-old, Caylee.

more at the link:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124913007&ps=cprs

I saw the title of this thread and thought "What else is new?"

True journalism is dead and has been for a long time.

I guess as a journalism major I am shocked that people havent realized this by now. Yes, we all go thru a course in journalisim ethics. There are legal requirements you have to learn about too, but journalisim is a truly cut throat business folks.

Its mostly about ratings, sensationalisim, demographics and very very very competitive. You have networks, papers, and websites all fighting for ratings, advertisers and attention. There are too many blogs, tv channels, websites, social networks etc all reporting. Almost anyone can report the news these days due to the internet. So yeah, the traditional media is feeling the pinch.

What ABC has done is no different than any other major media outfit in the U.S. I may not agree with it, but you have to understand that most people won't be that outraged. ABC will issue an apology and this story will be buried.

You wonder why certain cases get attention and others don't? Well the hard core truth is that news rooms are full of editors that determine which stories are gonna "sell". Thats why Natalee Holloway gets so much attention while a missing black mother in Harlem doesnt. Its not fair, but its true. Then there are certain outlets that have a political or social agenda. Thats a whole nother story.

Like someone said, the real question is which came first: The chicken or the egg. Did journalism change because of us or did we change because of journalisim. I think its society that changed. Tabloids make big bucks while straight and narrow outlets such as NPR dont generate a blip. So the mainstream media becomes more Tabloid and less traditional. They have to the pay bills folks. So if Tiger Woods gets over 500,000 hits on TMZ.com well then ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, FOX etc would be fools not to jump on that bandwaggon. So they are gonna pay whoever for a text, picture, interview, video, whatever they can.

We as a society have become more cynical, more reactionary, more impatient, more into gossip oriented news. Especially the young people!! the 18-30 yr old cares more about gossip and sensation than "real" news. Real news is boring and old fashioned to my generation. The media has to get that demographic to buy what they are selling. Its all about instant news brought to you online, through your cell phone, IPOD, etc.

I love the media, but for every Anderson Cooper or Nancy grace there are a thousands of hungry, driven journalist out there trying to make a name for themselves and are looking for the big story that will get them recognized and promoted. Once you've reached that higher level then you have the luxury of being an investigative crusader or a big wig behind the scenes. But until then, you may have to bend the ethics a bit or do something that might poke at your morality, but if your conscience gets in the way of your job then journalism might not be the career for you! You have to stay objectionable always.

I don't know where to put this link but figured this is probably the best place.

Michelle Bart interview: Giving her holier than art views on making money out of Caylee

I would love to hear what she says now that it has been confirmed the biggest money makers of this tragedy was indeed Casey and possibly the Anthonys.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXO1XAerZIQ&feature=related[/ame]

Approx 2.26 mark

Interesting thing about watching Michelle Bart is the "tells" that show on her face. She shows possible signs of deception and disgust at various stages through the interview.

I don't know where to put this link but figured this is probably the best place.

Michelle Bart interview: Giving her holier than art views on making money out of Caylee

I would love to hear what she says now that it has been confirmed the biggest money makers of this tragedy was indeed Casey and possibly the Anthonys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXO1XAerZIQ&feature=related

Approx 2.26 mark

Interesting thing about watching Michelle Bart is the "tells" that show on her face. She shows possible signs of deception and disgust at various stages through the interview.
Dear God! She lied!
Possibly the Anthonys...ok let's start there...
The FAMILY photos were licensed BY ABC from SEVERAL individuals...Who is in the family in question? George, Cindy and Casey. (Lee was not involved). Who lived in the home with Caylee? George Cindy and Casey. So who were the other 2 of SEVERAL that were paid? George and Cindy.

Michelle Bart makes a complete fool of herself in light of this fact.

Michelle Bart - Voices for Justice blog talk radio - 1 March 2010

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/helpingheroes/2010/03/01/casey-anthony-got-evidence

Approx 57 min mark

Taking a swipe at AH - saying it is odd that she pressed charges against Casey for a lousy $700 bucks then sold her story to NE, making $1000's of dollars. I don't have anything nice to say about Michelle Bart other than she is a damn hypocrite and not very bright.

Michelle Bart - Voices for Justice blog talk radio - 1 March 2010

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/helpingheroes/2010/03/01/casey-anthony-got-evidence

Approx 57 min mark

Taking a swipe at AH - saying it is odd that she pressed charges against Casey for a lousy $700 bucks then sold her story to NE, making $1000's of dollars. I don't have anything nice to say about Michelle Bart other than she is a damn hypocrite and not very bright.

Not doubting you at all here, but I don't remember AH having an article in the NE...did she?

Not doubting you at all here, but I don't remember AH having an article in the NE...did she?

I don't remember that either. Maybe she was confused? Although, she might have said it knowing it wasn't true. I don't know about others, but $700 is a lot of money to take out of someone's account. A bank will not replace the money in your account unless you file a police report so if AH wanted her money back she had no choice but to file a criminal complaint.

No AH didn't to the best of my knowledge. Sorry I should have been clearer, those comments made by Michelle Bart - which I doubt have any veracity. This is what I mean about MB, she is despicable.

Sorry if this has been mentioned - haven't read entire thread. Last night on Bill O'Reilly's program, Bernard Goldberg did a segment on CA getting paid by ABC. He brought in the Disney-Kids-ABC connection and how appalling it was for someone charged with murdering her own daughter to be paid $200k by a media outlet owned by Disney. I was very suprised that this story made O'Reilly's program. IMHO, there is trouble down the road for the duh-fense team re JB brokering this deal.

Duh: should have read the daily update thread before I posted this!!! Sorry

Sorry if this has been mentioned - haven't read entire thread. Last night on Bill O'Reilly's program, Bernard Goldberg did a segment on CA getting paid by ABC. He brought in the Disney-Kids-ABC connection and how appalling it was for someone charged with murdering her own daughter to be paid $200k by a media outlet owned by Disney. I was very suprised that this story made O'Reilly's program. IMHO, there is trouble down the road for the duh-fense team re JB brokering this deal.

Duh: should have read the daily update thread before I posted this!!! Sorry

BBM I thought Disney was for children, not for paying for the defence of a child murderer. I am disgusted.........Boycott ABC!

BBM I thought Disney was for children, not for paying for the defence of a child murderer. I am disgusted.........Boycott ABC!
I second that motion. I have children who LOVE Disney and it SICKENS me to think that Disney has FUNDED Casey Anthony in this despicable drama that SHE created by MURDERING her daughter, WHOM, I might add, ALSO was a HUGE Disney FAN already at the age of 2!!!

Way to go ABC!:sick:

Hey ABC! It is not going to be THAT easy where this just fades away into the abyss of past threads. THIS is going to stay with us and YOU for a LONG time and I personally will make sure to bump you back to page one so that you can receive all the recognition that is so rightfully yours for this selfless deed of contributing to the defense of Casey Anthony in the murder of her daughter, Caylee Marie.

Bumping for recognition... :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back