UK - Adult body found, N.Yorkshire, reclusive family, Sept 2018 - Rina Yasutake

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

JerricaBenton

Reaction score
She was identified as Rina Yasutake, 49, whose address was given as a property in Helmsley, North Yorkshire, the house where her remains were found.

She has the same family name as the registered owner of the property, a woman named Michiko Yasutake.

A man aged 46, a woman aged 51, and a woman aged 75 were arrested and released on bail under investigation after police were called in on Tuesday.

Ms Yasutake was unknown in the town. Police took her photograph around shops and homes near the house where the grim discovery was made, but they received little information about her.

A former neighbour said: 'It's come as a complete shock that another lady was living at the house, I used to live nearby and would pass often. There was a child - or what we all thought was a child - living there. I'm wondering now whether the woman who has been found dead could have been mistaken for a young girl'.

All from the DM article. Odd that other neighbours described the "child" as 4-5 years old, you wouldn't think she could have been mistaken for an adult but then the Japanese tend to be very slight.

Unusually there is zero digital footprint for this family, considering they have lived in the house for 20 years. Nothing on electoral register, nothing listed on births marriages or deaths. There are a couple of people with the same surname in the Cambridgeshire area but at first glance don't seem to match with those arrested.

I wonder where the photo shown in the DM came from? It looks like photo ID or something, perhaps a passport.

The family has been allowed back in the house. Wonder if they’re going to claim they didn’t know Rina was there?

She looks 30ish to me bearing in mind Japanese ladies tend to look quite youthful. Maybe older.

It’s all very bizarre!

Exactly where something like this happens.

Probably quite incorrect (as usual:rolleyes:) but I am going with the theory of a natural death of disabled child/sister, but hidden from authorities and outsiders for some unknown reason.

I am interested in the reporting by neighbours of an older couple plus "younger couple and child" who originally moved in to the cottage. Now the residents seem to be minus the older gentleman as well. Was his death reported at sometime?

Sad story IMO, I doubt there has been evil intent involved, maybe only cultural difficulties could be at the root ? OIMO.

Unusually there is zero digital footprint for this family, considering they have lived in the house for 20 years. Nothing on electoral register, nothing listed on births marriages or deaths. There are a couple of people with the same surname in the Cambridgeshire area but at first glance don't seem to match with those arrested.

Unless they are UK or EU citizens they won't appear on the electoral register.

I racked my brain trying to think of a Japanese writer who writes in English but only came up with Kazuo Ishiguro. How and why would he be here?

Very strange that the family are reported to write perfect English but struggle to speak it at all.

3rd December 2019

On Monday, her sister Yoshika Yasutake, 53, brother Takahiro Yasutake, 47, and elderly mother Michiko Yasutake, 76, from Helmsley, appeared at York Crown Court for what was due to be a plea hearing.

All three are charged with preventing the lawful and decent burial of a dead body without lawful excuse.

[...]

It has not been revealed how Rina, formerly of Nunnington, died.

[...]
The three defendants will next appear for a preliminary hearing on March 30 next year. The scheduled trial in June is expected to last two weeks.

Family members appear in court over death of Rina Yasutake

“Sean Morris, the recorder of York, decided on Tuesday that the charges – preventing the lawful and decent burial of a dead body without lawful excuse – should remain on file. “These three defendants suffer from an extremely rare mental affliction which has created a unique situation for the criminal courts,” he said.”

“A joint statement from North Yorkshire police and the CPS described the matter as a “very complex, sensitive and sad case””

2 quotes above, taken from the report in the Guardian.

What an unusual & intriguing case….not least because I live near Helmsley in North Yorkshire.

Sounds like a sensible decision not to prosecute the family….( though I’d love to know more)

I wonder if the ‘extremely rare mental affliction’ affecting the 3 remaining family members was ‘ Folie á trois’, a shared delusional disorder.

Full marks to the pharmacist who alerted police with his/her suspicions after detecting the odour of decomposition on his customers!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CAC6968
Back