Africa - Seychelles Police Probe Deaths of Sisters Annie and Robin Korkki Sept 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does anyone know if there will be an inquest after the toxicology results are back?

I was just reading some accounts of the Dutch couple, who died in their hotel room in the Dominican Republic last June. They had just eaten dinner in the hotel restaurant. In only one of the articles, did I read about the possibility of a poisonous fish. Other accounts said they picked something up during a day tour of a nearby island. My point is: these incidents are covered up by the tourism industry, as this could drastically hurt their business. This couple trusted a hotel in Punta Cana to serve them a safe meal, that's not too much to ask.

The Maia resort in the Seychelles has a lot to lose, if word gets out they served these women something toxic.

IMHO

Everything I've found (though you might be right about a cover up I'm not sure poison fish is preferable to any other cause) says it was Ciguatera Fish Poisoning which is:

is the most common seafood illness reported in travellers. It is caused by eating fish contaminated with ciguatoxins which are produced by dinoflagellates – small marine organisms living on or near coral reefs – belonging to the species Gambierdiscus toxicus. Herbivorous fish feed on these organisms and the ciguatoxins bio-accumulate along the marine food chain to larger predatory fish, usually over 2.7 kg / 6 lb

Avoid eating reef fish over 2.7 kg / 6 lbs or filets of large fish.
Do not eat the liver, intestines, heads, and roe of smaller reef fish.

So how did they get this fish? Did they go fishing themselves or did they find some shady place serving giant fish or fish intestines? (Ewww.)

They didn't die in their rooms - she went to the hospital after falling ill and then he went as well. They both died in the hospital and not at the same time.
But! Oddly enough I couldn't find the name of the specific hotel where they were staying. Maybe my google is off or maybe...Hmmm.

I doubt this is what happened to the sisters though. The place they stayed at was far too swanky imo to serve fish livers or heads.

https://www.iamat.org/country/dominican-republic/risk/ciguatera-fish-poisoning

I was just reading some accounts of the Dutch couple, who died in their hotel room in the Dominican Republic last June. They had just eaten dinner in the hotel restaurant. In only one of the articles, did I read about the possibility of a poisonous fish. Other accounts said they picked something up during a day tour of a nearby island. My point is: these incidents are covered up by the tourism industry, as this could drastically hurt their business. This couple trusted a hotel in Punta Cana to serve them a safe meal, that's not too much to ask.

The Maia resort in the Seychelles has a lot to lose, if word gets out they served these women something toxic.

IMHO
Exactly what I posted up thread. It was actually Bayahibe Dominican Republic. The Catalonia resort. The newspapers weren't even ALLOWED to report on it. Most guests there at the time weren't even aware. Also mention of their death gets DELETED on trip advisor. Inquests into pesticide use and toxic fish SQUASHED by politicians. Family payed off. Hmmmm. Just saying. These resort areas are protective.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Everything I've found (though you might be right about a cover up I'm not sure poison fish is preferable to any other cause) says it was Ciguatera Fish Poisoning which is:

So how did they get this fish? Did they go fishing themselves or did they find some shady place serving giant fish or fish intestines? (Ewww.)

And! Oddly enough I couldn't find the name of the specific hotel where they were staying. Hmmm.

I doubt this is what happened to the sisters though. The place they stayed at was far too swanky imo to serve fish livers or heads.

The hotel was the Catalonia Gran Dominicus. I'm pretty acquainted with the area.

Maybe, someone mistook them as NOT sisters.....(ETA: just a thought)

Being very careful on how this is worded, the same thought went through my mind that perhaps they did live a different lifestyle. Something they knew would never be accepted by family. JMO?

Maybe, someone mistook them as NOT sisters.....(ETA: just a thought)

:thinking:

of course that would rule out the russian mob.

ETA2: i'm open too :loveyou:

Where I live, many tourists are gay as some seem to have disposable cash. I imagine tourist areas are very used to that

They didn't die in their rooms - she went to the hospital after falling ill and then he went as well. They both died in the hospital and not at the same time.
But! Oddly enough I couldn't find the name of the specific hotel where they were staying. Maybe my google is off or maybe...Hmmm.

I posted the symptoms of ciguatera poisoning up above. They did not have the symptoms.

Thank you, and sorry about that! So many theories floating around I get confused. :confused:

I can't see them leaving the resort to go to town, for instance, The resort had everything plus free all you can drink top quality booze. The sailors were in town. I think at the resort they are protected.

Caviar? Perhaps?
Poisoned caviar, not ciguatera, but with something else.
Just a thought.

By fellow crew members?! Wow. I never would have suspected that one.

FWIU, he was with the crew members before he went off on his own in a taxi.

The coroner heard that more than 25 hours of CCTV from the island had been examined but there was no trace of the serviceman after he went off in a taxi on his own.
However, there were witness statements from two people who had seen him, including Sheila Esparon who said she had seen him with two men and two women.
Another witness, Didier Dorizo, told investigators he had seen him with three men and three women.
He had also seen a man brandishing an iron bar angrily at the scene.

Exactly what I posted up thread. It was actually Bayahibe Dominican Republic. The Catalonia resort. The newspapers weren't even ALLOWED to report on it. Most guests there at the time weren't even aware. Also mention of their death gets DELETED on trip advisor. Inquests into pesticide use and toxic fish SQUASHED by politicians. Family payed off. Hmmmm. Just saying. These resort areas are protective.

Now you have me wondering: if there had been signs of violence against them, or even illegal drugs found... would the resort, including the police and coroner, go to great lengths to cover it up? Is this possible? I suppose they found all of their cash and credit cards, jewelry, etc. still there. I haven't seen this mentioned in the articles. Still, how would they know if something was missing, unless everything was missing.

Now you have me wondering: if there had been signs of violence against them, or even illegal drugs found... would the resort, including the police and coroner, go to great lengths to cover it up? Is this possible? I suppose they found all of their cash and credit cards, jewelry, etc. still there. I haven't seen this mentioned in the articles. Still, how would they know if something was missing, unless everything was missing.

Yes! I think a resort like though would want to keep it as quiet as possible. This may involve large amounts of cash.

Now normally we'd have the family screaming "cover up" and demanding to know the truth, as has happened dozens of times with deaths abroad. But this family have already had the girls cremated, which seems incredibly trusting / accepting / naive. What if there was clear evidence of drug taking which the family have been made aware of , and now they ALL just want it swept under the carpet.

https://www.oyster.com/seychelles/hotels/maia-luxury-resort-and-spa/#roomrates

The all-inclusive rates, paired with the hotel's anything, anywhere motto, means guests have the option of dining in their villas, on the beach, or at the hotel's elegant open-air Tec-Tec restaurant with ocean views. While the resort has a menu, many guests have noted their requests for off-menu items have been granted. The Sunset Pool Bar serves snacks and signature cocktails, and is a popular spot for watching the sunset. The resort's Wine Boutique features more than 300 vintage wines from around the world and guests can schedule tastings with the hotel's sommelier along with private dinners. All meals, snacks, non-alcoholic, and select alcoholic beverages are included in the rates.*

Here's the resort's Sunset Pool Bar, I guess this is where they spent that last day drinking.

https://cdn.seyeasy.com/images/MAIA/Maia-hotel-Mahe-Seychelles-cocktail-bar.jpg

Where I live, many tourists are gay as some seem to have disposable cash. I imagine tourist areas are very used to that

Is it ILLEGAL to be gay where you live???

(THAT's the rub.)

Seychelles Mystery Deaths: No Illegal Drugs Found in Korkki Sisters' Room
October 4, 2016

Snipped...
...At least one major news organization has speculated following the postmortem that the pair died of a drug overdose.

Toussaint, the Seychelles police spokesman, would not comment on speculation but said no illegal drugs were found in the room.

"Items of interest found in the Korkkis' room includes alcohol and different types of medications," he told NBC News in an email. "No illegal drugs were found in the sisters' room."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/s...legal-drugs-found-korkki-sisters-room-n659166

[video @ link]

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke